HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Mason Raymond's Career in Jeopardy?

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2011, 01:49 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

vCash: 500
That eye still looks pretty bad.

05-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Have you seen his eye? He still can barely see from it. As has been reported, there's no way he passes the NHL vision test (and that's a requirement to return).

This isn't what about what he wants or what the team wants.
Just because the surrounding area of the eye doesn't look all that attractive doesn't mean he may not pass NHL vision testing. Take a look at Bryan Berard's eye after his accident and how it looked when he played....wasn't pretty.

Old
05-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Bucky Katt

Elliotte Friedman on Twitter:

Quote:
Henrik Sedin w/some good lines. Why he's not skating w/team: "Coach likes me." Worried about losing foot speed w/rest: "I don't have any."

Old
05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Momesso

Anyone who looks at that picture and tries to offer judgement about Manny's eye or vision is blowing smoke out of their arse. Only Manny and his Opthamologist knows how good his vision is.

And based on what 20/400 is supposed to look like (basically a total haze), I wonder how is he even able to skate if he's at that level??? The blue line would look more like a blue cloud with that sort of vision.

Even if Canucks Brass thought there would be a slight chance of return, they still would say it's impossible because of 1) it's too hard to predict and 2) if it doesn't they'll have gotten their hopes up for nothing.

Let's just be patient and see if/how his progression goes. At any rate, it's good to see something.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:11 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Katt View Post
Elliotte Friedman on Twitter:

Old
05-13-2011, 04:18 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
@FarhanLaljiTSN: #AV says #Samuelsson is unlikely to start the series. #henrik and Higgins will skate tomorrow. #Canucks
From Farhan

Old
05-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
From Farhan
Sorry I didn't even go back a page in this thread, does that mean Edler and bieksa aren't skating tomorrow either? Another day off for them?

Old
05-13-2011, 05:36 PM
xtr3m

HankyFourFingers/Jeff Angus

Henrik Sedin's injury - wrist (could be in addition to groin/hernia). No wonder he isn't shooting.

Decent connection(s) with team. It's bothered him since CHI series.

Take it for what it's worth.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:50 PM
David71

well the mystery of henrik's injury is solved. i would have guess groin/hip. therefore he always gets pushed down easily.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Anyone who looks at that picture and tries to offer judgement about Manny's eye or vision is blowing smoke out of their arse. Only Manny and his Opthamologist knows how good his vision is.

And based on what 20/400 is supposed to look like (basically a total haze), I wonder how is he even able to skate if he's at that level??? The blue line would look more like a blue cloud with that sort of vision.

Even if Canucks Brass thought there would be a slight chance of return, they still would say it's impossible because of 1) it's too hard to predict and 2) if it doesn't they'll have gotten their hopes up for nothing.

Let's just be patient and see if/how his progression goes. At any rate, it's good to see something.
well, vision in his one eye is just fine. try closing one eye and walking down the street - you'll make out just fine. But peripheral vision is going to be more important when you need to see a hit coming from the side or need to dig a puck out of your skates.

to me, the biggest disconnect is that on one hand, they say his recovery is amongst the top 5% of people who have had this surgery. On the other, if his vision is still as bad as they claim, with little chance of getting better over the next weeks, it would seem to put not only his short term but also long term chances of playing again at risk.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I keep most of my injury "updates" to Twitter these days - but Manny's vision is at a point where it is improving and won't get worse (obviously he'd have to keep a cage on) with exercise and working out. Phyiscal playoff hockey may be different.

This is me speculating - the odds of a return aren't great, but the team is quashing any optimism because they don't want even a semblance of hope creeping into the heads of the players. Keep them focused on winning with the players that are on the ice.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Have you seen his eye? He still can barely see from it. As has been reported, there's no way he passes the NHL vision test (and that's a requirement to return).

This isn't what about what he wants or what the team wants.
you mean from the photograph? No way you can tell from that; that shows the exterior damage, but no indication of what the interior damage is at this point.

as for the vision test comment, I'm not sure whether he could pass now. I think describing it as "no way he could pass" is a little strong. I also hope it's still improving, so the current status might not be the status in a couple of weeks.

Old
05-13-2011, 06:04 PM
xtr3m

Here's better photo. It's still pointless for us non-experts to speculate.

Old
05-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
as for the vision test comment, I'm not sure whether he could pass now. I think describing it as "no way he could pass" is a little strong. I also hope it's still improving, so the current status might not be the status in a couple of weeks.
I'm not sure who the quote was from, but it's out there somewhere (management or insider source)... I wasn't speculating based on the photo (even though my comment made it sound like it).

Old
05-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
I'm not sure who the quote was from, but it's out there somewhere (management or insider source)... I wasn't speculating based on the photo (even though my comment made it sound like it).
It was from a Globe & Mail article Sekeres wrote; he didn't specify the source, but said it was 'someone reliable within the organization' apparently.

Old
05-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
It was from a Globe & Mail article Sekeres wrote; he didn't specify the source, but said it was 'someone reliable within the organization' apparently.
and he didn't say there was "no way" he could pass - that's Tiranis' own editorial spin. and as I mentioned, the hope is that his vision will improve.

Old
05-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
but the team is quashing any optimism because they don't want even a semblance of hope creeping into the heads of the players. Keep them focused on winning with the players that are on the ice.
This I agree with. It would play against the Canucks interests to in any way suggest he's able to come back.

It was the same story with Crosby. They basically said they didn't expect him to come back for the season. We now know he did try to come back for the 2nd round but suffered a setback. If they'd have broadcast that he was going to return, but then didn't, it would have been very bad for morale.

Better to downplay chances of his return; if he does return, the only people who might be in a snit is the sportswriters who passed on the team's official line without question.

And frankly, I'm getting a little tired of talking about it myself. Better to focus on how the team will play without him, as they're going to face what is likely their greatest test in the playoffs shortly.

Old
05-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Since Sekeres has no sources, take it for what it is worth... nothing.

Old
05-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Since Sekeres has no sources, take it for what it is worth... nothing.
that's not true; he has sources but they tell him lies.

Old
05-13-2011, 08:59 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
that's not true; he has sources but they tell him lies.
I thought his source was Damian Goddard!

Old
05-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I thought his source was Damian Goddard!
na, his go to move is pestering drunk GM's at dinner and asking them about certain prospects.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:42 PM
Bleach Clean

More and more, it seems like Higgins will not go in game 1. He left practice half way through today, and missed the other skates along with Henrik, Sammy, Salo, and Bieksa. The Dmen did practice though.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
More and more, it seems like Higgins will not go in game 1. He left practice half way through today, and missed the other skates along with Henrik, Sammy, Salo, and Bieksa. The Dmen did practice though.
I think Higgins will be a game time decision. If he can't go, then Tamby will take his spot.
Maybe Higgins has a fractured/broken foot.

Old
05-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I think Higgins will be a game time decision. If he can't go, then Tamby will take his spot.
Maybe Higgins has a fractured/broken foot.
His x rays were negative.

It's probably a really bad bruise. Maybe bone bruise

Old
05-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Samzilla

Where are people getting all these practice updates from? Twitter?

Any word on how Henrik looked at practice?

Closed Thread