HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Long Island roller hockey

Old
11-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

vCash: 500
Long Island roller hockey

anyone down for some hockey? at a park or something? i dont have many friends that like hockey.

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

says you live in Brooklyn. on the weekends on Ave F and McDonald ave theres a rink that a good amount of people play at. inline hockey, pm me if you want the details.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2010, 11:58 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by apulsch View Post
anyone down for some hockey? at a park or something? i dont have many friends that like hockey.
George Harvey Park in Whitestone, Queens...... every sunday morning @ 11am.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 01:43 AM
CharlestownChiefsESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
saturday as well. good games.

CharlestownChiefsESC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 03:56 AM
TriFF51
USA Hockey

I wish there was an outdoor roller hockey rink by me.

TriFF51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

IMO Baldwin (for anybody that knows the rink) is the best outdoor rink I've played at in Nassau/Eastern Suffolk area because instead of the blacktop that eats up your wheels there is a sport court surface. Beautiful! Any games there on the weekend?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:30 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

There is an Olympic size outdoor rink in Paramus, NJ... Some of the smoothest asphalt I've ever played on:

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
There is an Olympic size outdoor rink in Paramus, NJ... Some of the smoothest asphalt I've ever played on:

Wow that is a beautiful rink. Not only does the surface look nice and smooth, but all the circles and lines look freshly painted and the boards look well-maintained.

At the Baldwin rink I mentioned above, the surface is really nice but the last time I was there the boards were all f'd up, had holes in them, the paint was faded, and I don't think you could sit on the wooden benches without getting a splinter in your ass.

The other public rinks I've been to on LI are equally as poorly kept. Oceanside sucks, Deer Park is an abomination, they took down the one in Rockville Centre.

And note I say public because the nicer rinks are the ones that aren't open to public skate. West Hempstead, Valley Stream, and Lynbrook all lock their rinks last time I checked, but all those rinks are pretty well-maintained. Lynbrook is definitely the best I've seen in the way of maintenance.

Old
11-19-2010, 08:35 AM
MikeGartner22

It's a hike, I'm sure, but we play Sunday mornings at Red Creek in Hampton Bays. It has that blue concrete surface. Boards are in decent shape, but the rink has seen better days (most likely the craze in the late 90's).

MikeGartner22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 08:47 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Wow that is a beautiful rink. Not only does the surface look nice and smooth, but all the circles and lines look freshly painted and the boards look well-maintained.

At the Baldwin rink I mentioned above, the surface is really nice but the last time I was there the boards were all f'd up, had holes in them, the paint was faded, and I don't think you could sit on the wooden benches without getting a splinter in your ass.

The other public rinks I've been to on LI are equally as poorly kept. Oceanside sucks, Deer Park is an abomination, they took down the one in Rockville Centre.

And note I say public because the nicer rinks are the ones that aren't open to public skate. West Hempstead, Valley Stream, and Lynbrook all lock their rinks last time I checked, but all those rinks are pretty well-maintained. Lynbrook is definitely the best I've seen in the way of maintenance.
Yes it's a terrific rink... It's only a year old and an individual who helps run the youth league at this location told me the town spend approx $200K on it's construction.... The surface is fantastic.... Minimal wear on your wheels and blades.... I think I played there at least 10-12x before I needed to rotate my wheels.... Unfortunately they left the basketball nets up when they constructed the rink so the basketball players take over the rink in the summer but we've had some terrific pick-up hockey there during the fall/winter/spring. The rink size is HUGE and good for 5 on 5 play.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Hockey2000nyr

There's also a rink in Massapequa at Marjorie Post, which is just off of sunrise highway on Unqua Road. Live right by there, concrete surface, its decent..

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Elvis Presley
Aka #30

that NJ rink looks worth a trip. but im gonna eb trying one with some high school friends in mineola this sunday, if there arent any games going on that is...

Elvis Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2010, 09:06 PM
303Joe

Quote:
Is this the rink at 20th ave and the van wyck./whitestone expwy?

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:25 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe View Post
Is this the rink at 20th ave and the van wyck./whitestone expwy?
Yes it is

Old
05-13-2011, 09:42 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I've been going to Baldwin for a little over a year and there are no holes in the boards, so I assume they repaired them. I also have yet to get a splinter in my ass.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:44 PM
NYRangers4Life1994

Send a message via AIM to NYRangers4Life1994 Send a message via MSN to NYRangers4Life1994
I got a NHL size rink by my house. Le Colisee for deck and roller hockey

NYRangers4Life1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:06 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

theres one in college point too, but it's usually locked up. i used to play in that league.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:56 AM
acapps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
There's also a rink in Massapequa at Marjorie Post, which is just off of sunrise highway on Unqua Road. Live right by there, concrete surface, its decent..
played there many a time, it's pretty good

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:57 AM
acapps10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers4Life1994 View Post
I got a NHL size rink by my house. Le Colisee for deck and roller hockey
this place eats up your wheels like a mother

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 02:27 AM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
Wow that rink looks awesome you guys know of any other great rinks in NJ we are always lookin for new places. West long branch has a great rink by the beach

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:19 AM
strongisland

Majorie post. Hell yeah. Go there all the time, Baldwin is fun too but everytime I go there it's either empty or covered in twigs and branches.

strongisland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:37 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

The rink has full boards, player benches, penalty boxes and a scoring area with enclosed fencing. The rink has a super smooth painted surface to play on making the skating and puck handling smoother then ice hockey. To complement the hockey rink is an 8' x 8' remote control scoreboard to keep track of game time, goals and penalties. In addition since we are a fall and winter sport and it gets dark early, we have a super halogen lighting system, which turns night into day. For the fans and parents there is a centrally placed grandstand to view all the action from. Located right outside the rink is a water fountain. Also a short walk away in the new park house are rest rooms for your convenience. Giuliani AND Bloomberg HAVE FUNDED FOR THE PROJECT. If you have kids have them join. You can join til age 21.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

We should get some games going this summer amongst HF'ers.

Old
05-14-2011, 12:46 PM
045NYR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
I play at both these spots as well as the Baldwin rink. I'll be at George Harvey tomorrow. Both have good competition. Post has a younger crowd, mostly high school kids and college kids while Harvey has an older contingent of players as well as some younger people.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 04:39 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by 045NYR View Post
I play at both these spots as well as the Baldwin rink. I'll be at George Harvey tomorrow. Both have good competition. Post has a younger crowd, mostly high school kids and college kids while Harvey has an older contingent of players as well as some younger people.
I wasn't able to make it to George Harvey park today and it's gonna rain tomorrow. But during the week with the lights on I will be there at night @ 7pm.