HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Boogaard's number be retired?

View Poll Results: Should number 94 be retired?
Yes, number 94 should officially be retired 21 7.55%
The number should be taken out of circulation quiet 98 35.25%
No, it should be available in future too 142 51.08%
I'm good either way 17 6.12%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-14-2011, 09:21 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
ill be honoring him at my game on tuesday. i will be wearing #94 on my helmet.

the number should be honored, and i feel it will be. they should wear stickers on their helmet for the entire season in my opinion

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 09:22 PM
chip chipperson*

if they were to retire boogaards number, they would have to go back and do something for chereponov. a nice ceremony before a game and a patch on the jersey for the year will suffice.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 09:24 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
if they were to retire boogaards number, they would have to go back and do something for chereponov. a nice ceremony before a game and a patch on the jersey for the year will suffice.
no...cherpanov was a drafted prospect. did not have an NHL contract and didnt play ONE single game for the rangers. but yes patches/stickers are fine enough.

even #94 behind the net for a bunch of games is great too

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

deffiently not... he was here for 22 games, they will def honor the jesery with a patch though..

rip boogy ):

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:21 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
no...cherpanov was a drafted prospect. did not have an NHL contract and didnt play ONE single game for the rangers. but yes patches/stickers are fine enough.

negative. all chereponov had was a minute long ceremony prior to a game. if they were to retire boogaards number they should do the same for chereponov. boogaard only played what 20 more games for the rangers than chereponov did?

Old
05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2725
Why can't they just wear a patch instead of a helmet sticker? I want a patch to put on my jersey.

05-14-2011, 11:51 PM
mike14

Quote:
negative. all chereponov had was a minute long ceremony prior to a game. if they were to retire boogaards number they should do the same for chereponov. boogaard only played what 20 more games for the rangers than chereponov did?
I don't get why. Boogard played for the Rangers. cherry didn't even play for the farm team.

You could make a case that the Rangers should honour STH before Cherry as they have contributed to the club in some way.

Yes, it could be assumed that if not for the tragedy Cherry probably would have contributed more than boogy, but he didn't so I don't know how you can compare circumstances.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:15 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Hell no.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:34 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

what is the precedence for this? I know one club did it. I can't remember which club but that player was probably with that team for much longer. More likely, a trophy will be named after him maybe like Michel Briere. Is there a community service award that hasn't been named after Adam Graves yet? I believe Boogaard was the most active player in community service this past season as well as in Minnesota. I can see Minnesota retiring his number as he spent so much time up there and contributed so much to that state.

edit - it might have been Sergei Zholtok's number retired in Minnesota.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:37 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

I feel terrible about his premature death. But absolutely not.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:41 AM
NYR Lunchbox

my opinion;
take the number out of circulation for at least the next decade. i am sad that he has passed and you know its big to the point my mom called me today to make sure i knew (she loves the rangers because i do but doesn't follow hockey like we do). great ambassador for the game and his role however no number should be added to the rafters in this situation. may peace be with boogie and his family. wear a patch/helmet sticker, remember and honor him.

NYR Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:49 AM
Zuuuuc

I don't think the number should be retired. He only wore the number for 22 games as a Ranger so it wasn't really affiliated with him. Definitely don't wanna see anyone wearing it for the 11-12 season though.
I am all for the patch or helmet sticker in his honour, however I would rather see a "DB" than a "94"

Zuuuuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:53 AM
KingStian

Quote:
How the hell would they retire the number of a player who never has had a number in the organization? When all is said and done, it is unlikely the Rangers will retire the number of Boogaard. But Boogaard has at least worn the jersey.

Given that there is such an unusual number, it is not very likely that someone will want that number in the near future, and it will not be necessary to retire it. I do not think I would have chosen a number with the history attached to it. Not by any form of superstition, but of respect. But I'm also feeling that it would not be wrong if the number was retired.

KingStian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Opening night ceremony? Yes.
Season long #94 patch? Yes.
Other players choosing to not wear that number any time soon? Yes.
Anything else? No.
This is what Thrashers did by honoring Dan Snyder but they took it a little further by holding an annual golf tournament in his name where the money raised goes to his hometown and they also have an annual award for dedication and perseverance that they award to a player at the home finale each year.

Also the #37 has been taken out of circulation, Rich Peverley wore it for Nashville and initially requested it but had to settle for #47 after learning it wasn't available.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 09:35 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post

True, but you could argue that losing Cherepanov was a much bigger blow to the organization. I know it hit me a lot harder. Don't get me wrong...the loss of both of these individuals is terrible, and far more important than hockey. But from an organizational standpoint we are still feeling the loss of Alexei, and likely will for quite some time...Derek on the other hand, not so much.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Shadowtron

Retire his #94? Really? He played 22 games for the team and then died. It's a sad story, but I don't think we need to immortalize a fairly insignificant 4th liner who only played 22 games for the team. The cold truth is that people die everyday. And they're not all heroes. He wasn't saving orphans from a towering inferno at the time of his death. Take a moment to commemorate his life, and then close the book on this sad story.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghenrik213 View Post
I don't think it should be retired, just because he didn't spend much time here, however, I'd love to see a patch on their jersey's next year. RIP Boogy
Clearly this post. I think its the best solution.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:46 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
They won't retire his number but I can understand if the organization takes it out of circulation and maybe puts his jersey up in the locker room or something like that. As much as people rag on the organization on here sometimes they will get this right and I am sure there will be some kind of ceremony during the home opener. I hope the NHL approves that the team can wear a patch or something to remember him.

Next year's theme will be to "Do It For Boogey"

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:51 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
They won't retire his number but I can understand if the organization takes it out of circulation and maybe puts his jersey up in the locker room or something like that. As much as people rag on the organization on here sometimes they will get this right and I am sure there will be some kind of ceremony during the home opener. I hope the NHL approves that the team can wear a patch or something to remember him.

Next year's theme will be to "Do It For Boogey"
They mess up when it comes to a lot of hockey related stuff, but when it comes to things like this, I don't think there are many teams in the league that do them better than the Rangers. Just my opinion, but I feel like they get these kinds of things right.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:55 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Boogaard wore #94, Rangers won the cup in 94.

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Propane Nightmares
No Substance

No but Minnesota should retire his #24

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:32 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
I don't get why. Boogard played for the Rangers. cherry didn't even play for the farm team.

You could make a case that the Rangers should honour STH before Cherry as they have contributed to the club in some way.

Yes, it could be assumed that if not for the tragedy Cherry probably would have contributed more than boogy, but he didn't so I don't know how you can compare circumstances.
because chereponov got a minute long ceremony and boogaard will get one of the highest honors a player can have. all this and boogaard would have only played 20 games more for the team than chereponov. seems kind of ****** if you are chereponov. this is just one reason why this wont happen.

please never bring up that the team should honor sth. ugh

Old
05-15-2011, 03:33 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingStian View Post
How the hell would they retire the number of a player who never has had a number in the organization? When all is said and done, it is unlikely the Rangers will retire the number of Boogaard. But Boogaard has at least worn the jersey.

Given that there is such an unusual number, it is not very likely that someone will want that number in the near future, and it will not be necessary to retire it. I do not think I would have chosen a number with the history attached to it. Not by any form of superstition, but of respect. But I'm also feeling that it would not be wrong if the number was retired.
see my other post. it really isnt hard to understand.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:44 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

Flyers fan coming in peace. Players don't normally die in the middle of their career. I was really hit hard by this and I'm not even a Rangers fan. Honestly, I think it should be retired just because this sort of thing doesn't happen very often. Derek was really fun to watch and he will surely be missed by fans of every team. R.I.P. Boogeyman

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 10:15 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
nobody would wear that number anyway. its sad what happened, but this questions belongs with minnesota rather than here.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote