HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eller shoulder surgery; out 4-6 months

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Some of the best exercises for your legs require having weight on your shoulders, or a pulling down on the chair, even leg press he'll struggle with likely. I figure there probably gonna keep an eye on hi in MTL all summer long
Eller has access to trainers, spotters and cutting edge programs with exercises that you've never heard of.

Old
05-14-2011, 09:09 PM
DeVries*

Awww, ****... The season haven't started yet and here we go again ; long term injuries.

Old
05-14-2011, 09:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

"Eller had successful shoulder surgery yesterday in Toronto."
Good stuff.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:03 AM
habsjunkie2*

But if we're injury free next year we will be a good team.

Old
05-15-2011, 01:19 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
LOL @ those Bruins fans who were SO SURE he dove on the play.
was thinking the same thing, unfortunately the joke is on us ultimately

this sucks

Old
05-15-2011, 02:55 AM
bib
#believe

"....and starting at center, Scott, Gomez!"

nooooooooooo!!!

Old
05-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Mr. Hab

Here's to Eller (showed lots of heart/hustle/strong defense in playoffs and a Bruin player as usual injured him with a cheap shot that as usual didn't get called...thanks to Colin Campbell).

Here's to Eller for...playing with a separated shoulder (popped it back in? and kept playing).

Good news: he could be ready for September or early October...not bad.

Good news II: it's good it didn't happen right before '11 playoffs (ex: Kopitar).

Get well Eller and come back a 100% (for hopefully) September camp.

If Hab players should get surgery NOW's the perfect time.
I usually when it happens during the season or right before playoffs or during playoffs.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:44 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Every player can be injured , it's part of the game. Difference is Halak didn't have any injurie history...Eller was a "risk player", PG took the chance with Eller and it looks like he lost his gamble.
Imagine what we could have got for Halak from Philly if we held on to him one more year.A pkg trade that would include one of their top 6 PROVEN forwards. I know the kool-aid drinkers think that Eller is better than Carter,JVR etc.,but I don't see it. Another Forsberg like some have suggested ? . I see a good 3rd line center,POSSIBLE 2nd liner in 2-3 yrs.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:55 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Imagine what we could have got for Halak from Philly if we held on to him one more year.A pkg trade that would include one of their top 6 PROVEN forwards. I know the kool-aid drinkers think that Eller is better than Carter,JVR etc.,but I don't see it. Another Forsberg like some have suggested ? . I see a good 3rd line center,POSSIBLE 2nd liner in 2-3 yrs.
Halak's value was at an all-time high after the playoffs, there is absolutely no way of knowing how he would have performed this season for the Habs. His stats in St.Louis we're mediocre, I doubt Philly would have offered that up for him if his stats we're the same in MTL. The last time a goalie got traded for a star forward was Luongo for Bertuzzi, and Bertuzzi was coming out of his prime, nevermind the fact Luongo was considered the best young goalie in the game at the time by a large margin.

Once again your playing hypotheticals. I really believe you have no clue about perceived value of players, just another post bashing the organisation.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:00 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Halak's value was at an all-time high after the playoffs, there is absolutely no way of knowing how he would have performed this season for the Habs. His stats in St.Louis we're mediocre, I doubt Philly would have offered that up for him if his stats we're the same in MTL. The last time a goalie got traded for a star forward was Luongo for Bertuzzi, and Bertuzzi was coming out of his prime, nevermind the fact Luongo was considered the best young goalie in the game at the time by a large margin.

Once again your playing hypotheticals. I really believe you have no clue about perceived value of players, just another post bashing the organisation.
Halak played great the year before,and is a top goalie.Every gm and ex-player analyst says we could have got more if we waited,and we pulled the trigger too fast. And talk about perceived value of players? Look at some of the things people think we can get for our players.I'll take GM and players opinions over yours 100% of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
LOL @ those Bruins fans who were SO SURE he dove on the play.
I didn't hear any of that on Eller. The B's announcers actually said he popped his shoulder back. Hamr is the only one that I think fakes injuries.How many times have we seen him sprawled on the ice only to play the next shift. maybe i'm wrong and he has a low pain tolerance.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Halak played great the year before,and is a top goalie.Every gm and ex-player analyst says we could have got more if we waited,and we pulled the trigger too fast. And talk about perceived value of players? Look at some of the things people think we can get for our players.I'll take GM and players opinions over yours 100% of the time
Kevin Allen of USA today, who actually is a pretty underrated insider, spoke to Rick Dudley(Gm of Atlanta) and Dudley told him that he Gauthier up and inquired about Halak. Gauthier had asked for Patrice Cormier for Halak. Dudley said he declined the offer and never called Gauthier back.

I wonder how much Halak was really worth, when Atlanta didn't even want to give up Cormier, who imo is a lesser prospect than Eller.

Old
05-15-2011, 10:15 AM
neofury*

When Eller is the next big center and savior of our team you're coming back to this thread and eating the biggest pile of crow. This kid is super talented, you think he's going to let 4-6 months hold him back? You're nuts, the guy is way too talented to let that **** up his career dude. This guys going to be like a big Plekanec. Don't be stupid.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:02 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
When Eller is the next big center and savior of our team you're coming back to this thread and eating the biggest pile of crow. This kid is super talented, you think he's going to let 4-6 months hold him back? You're nuts, the guy is way too talented to let that **** up his career dude. This guys going to be like a big Plekanec. Don't be stupid.
I hope you're right because on the forward side of things Eller is one of my favorites. The kid is a hard worker and seems very level headed. I hope he recovers quickly.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:13 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Call me crazy but after this injury, I'd honestly like to see him spend some serious time in Hamilton next year. I love the Detroit model, let your kids over mature in the minors, Eller hasn't even been a top scorer in the AHL yet, I mean, I know, I seen him show amazing signs at the end of the year, but he needs time and the chance to put it all together.

2 years ago, I was posting like crazy to send MaxPac down and a 6 months later, he was eventually sent down, and I was super happy when he started last year in Hamilton and look at what he did. Letting this kids develop won't harm them, it will only sharpen their skills, Datsyuk, zetterburg weren't ruined because they spent too much time in the AHL.

Neither will Eller.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:18 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Call me crazy but after this injury, I'd honestly like to see him spend some serious time in Hamilton next year. I love the Detroit model, let your kids over mature in the minors, Eller hasn't even been a top scorer in the AHL yet, I mean, I know, I seen him show amazing signs at the end of the year, but he needs time and the chance to put it all together.

2 years ago, I was posting like crazy to send MaxPac down and a 6 months later, he was eventually sent down, and I was super happy when he started last year in Hamilton and look at what he did. Letting this kids develop won't harm them, it will only sharpen their skills, Datsyuk, zetterburg weren't ruined because they spent too much time in the AHL.

Neither will Eller.
Not to player hate, but neither of those guys spent any time in the AHL. They did however spend considerable time in their respective home leagues.

To me it depends on when Eller comes back from injury, a brief AHL stint could be in his best interest. I was also one of the few that wanted Pacioretty to dominate the AHL before his call up, so don't get me wrong I see where your coming from.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Neither will Eller.
Yeah Eller only led his team in points by a wide margin as a rookie and was the league's 34th highest scorer. Pacioretty never played a full season in the AHL like Subban and Eller. Management was too impatient with him and it showed it's effects. Not the same situations IMO. In fact I'd go as far as saying putting him in the AHL now after a full season in the NHL would be detrimental to his development/confidence. This had to be done earlier this season.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Kevin Allen of USA today, who actually is a pretty underrated insider, spoke to Rick Dudley(Gm of Atlanta) and Dudley told him that he Gauthier up and inquired about Halak. Gauthier had asked for Patrice Cormier for Halak. Dudley said he declined the offer and never called Gauthier back.

I wonder how much Halak was really worth, when Atlanta didn't even want to give up Cormier, who imo is a lesser prospect than Eller.
Oh wow, that would have been a disaster.

Yeah, I think people are still catching up to the idea that goalies have very little value on the trade market. There are just too many good ones, more than there are jobs.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:26 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
There are just too many good ones, more than there are jobs.
Tell that to the Philadelphia Flyers

Old
05-15-2011, 12:27 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
In fact I'd go as far as saying putting him in the AHL now after a full season in the NHL would be detrimental to his development/confidence. This had to be done earlier this season.
This is one thing I don't buy. Just like I don't buy those who said "benching Subban for 3 games would ruin him / his confidence". Subban / Eller are not made of glass, they won't be ruined by spending more time in the AHL.

You could send Subban down to the AHL now and it wouldn't ruin him. If good players are good, they will be good. Its that simple.

Old
05-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Seriously, I don't get that organization! They've made some smart moves at every other position, but did they ever screw up their goaltending. They thought that one hot playoff run made Leighton a bonafide #1. Meanwhile, they passed up the opportunity to add Anderson, Emery, Roloson and more who are actually qualified. Now they still owe Leighton $1.5mil for another season, while Bryzgalov and Vokoun will probably have to settle for less than they should be worth on the free agent market.

Old
05-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
This is one thing I don't buy. Just like I don't buy those who said "benching Subban for 3 games would ruin him / his confidence". Subban / Eller are not made of glass, they won't be ruined by spending more time in the AHL.

You could send Subban down to the AHL now and it wouldn't ruin him. If good players are good, they will be good. Its that simple.
Then why send him down at all? I mean, if he's good he should be good here anyway right?

Old
05-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

If it's that simple why even send Eller down since there won't be any point. How many successful NHLers play a full season in the AHL putting up good numbers as a 20 year old rookie, play a full season in the NHL with ups and downs on the 3rd/4th line, then not make the team the following season at all? This is a development path that isn't common. Why? Players don't want to be in the AHL when they think they're NHLers on the last year of their contract. Never said it'll ruin them, it's just not proper development which is more likely to be detrimental than positive. It also affects management/player relationship (see Halak, Pacioretty, Sergei Kostitsyn).

Last edited by Watsatheo: 05-15-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old
05-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
I think I'll trust the guy with the justin bieber avatar to give me the proper diagnosis on all of our injured players. Thank you for letting me know Eller is literally made of glass and will break his shoulder/wrist every year and we should have never traded for him.

Edit: Rereading this post it comes off as mean, I don't mean to get on your case too bad, but holy overreaction Batman. I guess we should've signed http://www.markindapark.com/ so we'd never get "rapped" in trades again.
lol come on, don't trust doctor in sport.......they are ALWAYS saying that the player will be back 100% or even stronger after the surgery.Injury prone player do exist and unfortunately ,Eller might be one of them.

As for the trade , "rapped" was probably inappropriate , but let's say with trade for a high risk player.I'm sure had better deal on the table in the east , but PG is know to be scared of trader good player in the same conference.

Old
05-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
Injury prone player.......I think it's like the 4th time he has problem with his shoulder. I remember scout were scared of his "shoulder of glass".

21 years and multiple problem with the same shoulder, I think we got ***** in the halak deal...
It's the other shoulder this time. It's a normal surgery you get after injuries like this, and it will be a 100% again. If he didn't have surgery, it would happen again. That's what happened with the other shoulder until he got surgery. Good thing they don't wait this time.

Old
05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post

I've said it numerous times before. Even if I'm nothing more than a simply internet blogger, I disagree with anybody saying we could have had more for Halak than what we got. There is a multitude of examples that show how weak the market was for goalies.
But more so than that, when you look at what the assets exchanged, it points even more towards being a good trade. Halak was a RFA, which means any team making him an offer would have needed to give us a compensation. If we look at the deal St-Louis signed him at, we would have gotten a 1st and 3rd round pick in return, and because people on HF love draft pick and cap space more than the actual game of hockey, they would have been very satisfied with that compensation. Well, Eller and Schultz are respectively 1st and 3rd round picks.

At the worse, this trade was fair. With all their offensive injuries this year, St-Louis could have used Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Flyers didn't have a problem finding a great goalie in Bobrovsky.
Laviolette played with fire and flat out lost it when he decided to scratch him only to put a career back up/AHLer goalie, that hadn't played in 2011 yet, in nets..
Deciding to go with Boucher and Leighton instead of Bobrovsky, and then opting to start him in Game 4 vs Boston really made me wonder what the heck Laviolette was thinking.
He should have stuck with Bobrovsky all the way through. Rookies need their share of experience.
I don't think Philly is looking for a goalie, other than maybe a back up. They would be stupid to let Bobrovsky go.
Quote:

It's not about ruining the player, it's about what he has to gain from it. Would Plekanec benefit anything from going to play in the AHL for a year?? Of course not.
Would you improve anything from playing hockey versus 10 year old kids? Of course not.

In order to improve, you need to play versus opponents that will make you develop onto a higher level. I don't think Eller has much to gain from playing a season in the AHL. I can see him go through a conditioning stint like many other players do after big injuries, but I doubt he'll spend a significant amount of time in the AHL. I think he's got a lot more to gain from playing at the NHL level, than he does at the AHL.
I'm not worried about confidence with this kid, I think he's shown great things with us throughout the year, and even more so in the POs.

I'm not worried about Eller, I expect him to spend some time for conditioning in the AHL if he's still injured during camp, but quickly come back up to the NHL level.

Closed Thread