HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2011, 03:44 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
With the cap supposedly raised to $62.2m, all the UFAs gone, Redden on the summer cap, MDZ back up, and Boogaard's (RIP) cap removed, the Rangers have about $5.85m to re-sign RFAs and whoever else they would like to sign. That is with this roster:

Then re-sign the RFAs, and reduce Gilroy's salary if he is brought back and the Rangers have -$175,000 in cap space (this is with Drury, Wolski and Redden still on the roster).

So somebody will have to go. That could be in the form of a demotion (Christensen, MDZ) or a buyout (Drury, Wolski), a trade, or even Redden breaching his contract, but let's assume that the Rangers do the buyout option.

Chris Drury buyout from CapGeek.com
* 2011-12: $3,716,667
* 2012-13: $1,666,667
Wojtek Wolski buyout from CapGeek.com
* 2011-12: $466,667
* 2012-13: $666,667

$4,183,334

With Redden still on the summer cap, the Rangers would still have just under $6.5 million to fit whoever they want under the cap, they also have 4 roster spots open. Now let's say our dreams come true, and Redden's cap hit is somehow gone. The Rangers would then have 5 roster spots to fill and just under $13 million to spend.
But it is gone. You can exceed the cap by 10% over the summer...so Redden is irrelevant.

Old
05-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
But it is gone. You can exceed the cap by 10% over the summer...so Redden is irrelevant.
yea Redden is not a problem. As soon as its legal to waive him down to Hartford it will be done and I am sure he will stay and make the bucks in the minors.

Whatever he is making millions upon millions playing a game still. Swallow your pride then retire a rich man set for life

no chance he walks away from it

Old
05-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea Redden is not a problem. As soon as its legal to waive him down to Hartford it will be done and I am sure he will stay and make the bucks in the minors.

Whatever he is making millions upon millions playing a game still. Swallow your pride then retire a rich man set for life

no chance he walks away from it
If he were going to leave, he would have done it last year

Old
05-14-2011, 08:08 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
you never know, maybe he wanted one last paycheck for 6.5 million. Think about it this way, go pad your retirement fund at age 34 with 6.5 million dollars and see the wonders it'd do for you.

Old
05-14-2011, 08:11 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I guess it could in theory, but still, you just don't associate winning Cups with a team that has 1 in 72 years.

The Orioles could be an ace away form contending, but would I go there if I were an ace? Hell no I'm going to the Yankees because they have the track record.
1) no they're not an ace away from competing

2) can't compare baseball and hockey especially with a player who plays once every 5 games.

Brad Richards will make this team a legit stanley cup contender he solves our first line center void as well as ppqb

Old
05-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I guess it could in theory, but still, you just don't associate winning Cups with a team that has 1 in 72 years.

The Orioles could be an ace away form contending, but would I go there if I were an ace? Hell no I'm going to the Yankees because they have the track record.
Well would you want to be "just that other guy" on the Yankees World Series Championship team, or the player who got the Orioles their World Series Championship?

05-15-2011, 01:05 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Gaborik, McDonagh for Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds, 2nd round pick 2011

Wolski to whoever for 3rd or 4th round pick

Drury bought out

Avery to minors

Richards 6 years @ 6.5 million per
Brunette 1 year @ 1.25 million
Bieksa 4 years @ 3.25 million per

Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Kreider Stepan Brunette
Grachev Anisimov Zuccarello
Simmonds Boyle Prust

Staal Johnson
Sauer Girardi <-- Yes I know Sauer is normally a RD.
Del Zotto Bieksa

Lundqvist
Biron

Old
05-15-2011, 06:28 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Well would you want to be "just that other guy" on the Yankees World Series Championship team, or the player who got the Orioles their World Series Championship?
I don't necessarily think Richards is the type of player who craves the spotlight. He seems very reserved, and likes to go about his own business. I don't think this is a factor, speculatively, but, you never know. He'd definitely become "the guy" here in New York, in terms of skaters.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-15-2011, 06:34 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Last year it wasn't a given that he'd be sent down. The writing was on the wall, but there was still a chance for him to make the team. This year, there's no chance and he knows it. Plus, he's 6.5 mil richer than he was last year. The longer he waits to terminate his contract, the less chance he has of getting back to the NHL. If he doesn't do it this year, he's likely done in the NHL.

That doesn't mean he'll do it, but I think there's a chance.

Old
05-15-2011, 06:40 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
His cap hit is very relevant. Let's say we planned to send Avery down this year and wanted to use his money to sign someone else. With Redden eating up the entire 10%, we can't. Basically, we can't "Redden" anyone else because of Redden. We can send Avery down, but we wouldn't be able to spend that money until he actually gets sent down at the end of camp. By that time, there will be no one to spend the money on.

Old
05-15-2011, 06:41 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
His cap hit is very relevant. Let's say we planned to send Avery down this year and wanted to use his money to sign someone else. With Redden eating up the entire 10%, we can't. Basically, we can't "Redden" anyone else because of Redden. We can send Avery down, but we wouldn't be able to spend that money until he actually gets sent down at the end of camp. By that time, there will be no one to spend the money on.
You're right, but it's only relevant if we planned to send anyone down this year. Personally, I don't think we do.

Old
05-15-2011, 06:49 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
This doesn't make sense to me. The guy's value last year was as low as humanly possible. Not a soul would give him a chance at the NHL level. Now he is coming off a solid season at Hartford where many described him as the team's best d-man. If there was ever a time to walk away from the money, it would be NOW.

Old
05-15-2011, 07:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

In the wake of the passing of Boogaard, the truth is, the Rangers now do not technically even have to buyout anyone in order to bring in Richards. With the cap reportedly going up to $62.4 million, the Rangers will have enough space to re-sign all five RFAs, and fit Richards in with a contract in the area of $7 million per. In fact, buying out the likes of Drury and Wolski would actually allow the Rangers an opportunity to bring in another more expensive piece, be it a PP QB or another top six winger.

Old
05-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

If we don't buy anyone out, we're going to be running it REEAAALLLL tight. After all the RFAs that will have 1-way contracts are resigned, (don't forget about John Mitchell, Sather publicly stated he's bringing him back) there's going to be about $6.9M left on the cap. That's like, maybe, just enough to sign Richards. And that would be with letting Feds, Prospal, Eminger, etc go. We'd be rolling a line-up of like,

Wolski - Christensen - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Avery - Stepan - Zuccs
Drury - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

About $6.9M summer space without Richards.
About $6.6M regular season space without Richards, and no extra forwards/defenseman.

If Sather manages to pull in Richards, he'll 100% have to buy somebody out to add anything else. And he better. Even if you replace Christensen with Richards in that lineup... Gross.

Old
05-15-2011, 07:51 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Even if you replace Christensen with Richards in that lineup... Gross.
Don't see how it's "gross". That team got us 44 wins in 10-11. No, they're not the Red Wings circa 2008, but, with Richards, it's a solid team. There are still a lot of unknowns and question marks in that lineup to really judge it yet. You have an extremely young lineup that has several players who have been in the league only two years at most. Players like Stepan, Anisimov, McDonagh, Sauer, and MDZ, who would fill a gaping hole in this team if he could bounce back from his offensive struggles last season.

With Richards, this team could probably finish anywhere between 4-6. I don't think they'll be challenging for the division any time soon with Philly and Pittsburgh still in their primes, but for next season, the team would not have a single glaring weakness in it, other than maybe a real puck mover.

Of course, if we couldn't get Richards or another #1 center, we'll likely be staying right where we finished in 10-11. Maybe even out of the playoffs, with the Islanders and Hurricanes having the chance to make it next season. It's the biggest priority this offseason.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:22 AM
beastly115

Quote:
If we don't buy anyone out, we're going to be running it REEAAALLLL tight. After all the RFAs that will have 1-way contracts are resigned, (don't forget about John Mitchell, Sather publicly stated he's bringing him back) there's going to be about $6.9M left on the cap. That's like, maybe, just enough to sign Richards. And that would be with letting Feds, Prospal, Eminger, etc go. We'd be rolling a line-up of like,

Wolski - Christensen - Gaborik
Avery - Stepan - Zuccs
Drury - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Gilroy

Lundqvist
Biron

About $6.9M summer space without Richards.
About $6.6M regular season space without Richards, and no extra forwards/defenseman.

If Sather manages to pull in Richards, he'll 100% have to buy somebody out to add anything else. And he better. Even if you replace Christensen with Richards in that lineup... Gross.
You're joking, right? Thats nearly the same lineup that got us to the playoffs. And you say it's gross even after adding Richards? Some people...

Old
05-15-2011, 08:26 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I've said it once, I'll say it again, signing Richards is an absolute no brainer.

He fills many holes on this team, and along with Gaborik will start giving us a real first line.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:29 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
That team got us 44 wins in 10-11. No, they're not the Red Wings circa 2008
To be precise, the shoootout got us 44 wins. The team got us 35 wins, the least of any playoff team.

And we saw what happened to that "44 win team" in the playoffs. (Which is one of several reasons I despise the shootout.)

Old
05-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Don't see how it's "gross". That team got us 44 wins in 10-11. No, they're not the Red Wings circa 2008, but, with Richards, it's a solid team. There are still a lot of unknowns and question marks in that lineup to really judge it yet. You have an extremely young lineup that has several players who have been in the league only two years at most. Players like Stepan, Anisimov, McDonagh, Sauer, and MDZ, who would fill a gaping hole in this team if he could bounce back from his offensive struggles last season.

With Richards, this team could probably finish anywhere between 4-6. I don't think they'll be challenging for the division any time soon with Philly and Pittsburgh still in their primes, but for next season, the team would not have a single glaring weakness in it, other than maybe a real puck mover.

Of course, if we couldn't get Richards or another #1 center, we'll likely be staying right where we finished in 10-11. Maybe even out of the playoffs, with the Islanders and Hurricanes having the chance to make it next season. It's the biggest priority this offseason.
That's my point, the unknowns. There's always a guaranteed supply of unknowns, but the Rangers love to build their line-up with several of them. We could either be great next year, or royally suck.

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Avery - Stepan - Zuccs
Drury - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Gilroy

The 3rd defense pairing isn't a big deal, because 1 or both of them could easily be replaced with someone should they not improve from last year. (which I'm sure, at the least, Del Zotto will. Gilroy I still have high hopes for, but I'm also still quite skeptical. I do want him back, however.) Zuccarello is the type of unknown you really have to take a chance on, so he deserves a shot in that lineup.

But that left side is a total question mark. Avery? Who knows when/how/if he's going to show up. In my opinion, he should be earning a spot in training camp. I feel like it shouldn't be "his spot to lose." And as for Drury, if the end of this season was any indication of things to come, I don't even know if he has competence in the NHL anymore. Fourth liner at best. It's a pickle and I think the best thing to do is to buy him out. It's $7M to have either a 4th liner getting maybe 7 minutes a game, not really producing, maybe even being a healthy scratch, or $3.7M + $1.6M to have almost the same production.

And then there's Wolski. I loved him back in Colorado, but I just don't know now. There's only 3 situations that can happen with him if he's kept on board.

A) The best scenario, he finds his game, and puts up respectable points playing with either Richards/Gaborik, or Anisimov/Callahan.
B) He takes up a spot in the Top 6 and continues to be an inconsistent player who fails to impress. Maybe putting up 40 points.
C) He gets thrown into the Bottom 6 again, and a player of his type is completely ineffective if he's not scoring in a Top 6 role. So you have essentially $3.8M on the cap for nothing.

Is Wolski worth keeping? I'm not against the idea, but our performance can really sway depending on how he plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
To be precise, the shoootout got us 44 wins. The team got us 35 wins, the least of any playoff team.

And we saw what happened to that "44 win team" in the playoffs. (Which is one of several reasons I despise the shootout.)
This is my point! We're a mediocre team with that line-up, absolutely. Richards will help that, but there's definitely more to be done here. Don't forget we had a lot of surprising things that went exceptionally right for us this year. Injuries hurt, but the bonuses we got out of surprising play of players like Boyle, McDonagh, Sauer, Callahan, Stepan, and Prust more than made up for it. We were a pretty fortunate team this year to have 6 players suddenly stepping up their game.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:42 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
That's my point, the unknowns. There's always a guaranteed supply of unknowns, but the Rangers love to build their line-up with several of them. We could either be great next year, or royally suck.
This team wouldn't "suck" with Richards on it. Unless all of our depth completely folded, this team is a playoff team with Brad Richards centering it's first line.

Quote:
Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Avery - Stepan - Zuccs
Drury - Boyle - Prust

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto - Gilroy
That certainly isn't the lineup I expect. We'll likely see players like Kreider, Hagelin, or Grachev make it, one or two of Avery, Drury, or Wolski bought out/traded, and we don't even know if they'll QO Gilroy. Fedetenko is a player that will most likely be re-signed, and with the passing of Boogaard, we could add an enforcer like Eric Boulton or Steve MacIntyre.

Quote:
The 3rd defense pairing isn't a big deal, because 1 or both of them could easily be replaced with someone should they not improve from last year. (which I'm sure, at the least, Del Zotto will. Gilroy I still have high hopes for, but I'm also still quite skeptical. I do want him back, however.) Zuccarello is the type of unknown you really have to take a chance on, so he deserves a shot in that lineup.
High hopes for Gilroy? He's 27, and he's shown nothing but disappointing play throughout his two seasons here. He's a 3rd pairing defenseman when he's playing at his absolute best, and his best is still below average when compared to the rest of the league. Del Zotto, yes, he should bounce back, and even if he doesn't, he's still a kid, there's still time for him to get his game back together. I expect we'll see that 3rd right pairing opening filled within the organization, or I could see Sather signing a veteran guy.

Quote:
But that left side is a total question mark. Avery? Who knows when/how/if he's going to show up. In my opinion, he should be earning a spot in training camp. I feel like it shouldn't be "his spot to lose." And as for Drury, if the end of this season was any indication of things to come, I don't even know if he has competence in the NHL anymore. Fourth liner at best. It's a pickle and I think the best thing to do is to buy him out. It's $7M to have either a 4th liner getting maybe 7 minutes a game, not really producing, maybe even being a healthy scratch, or $3.7M + $1.6M to have almost the same production.
Re-sign Fedentenko, fill in the 3rd line role with one of Kreider, Hagelin, Grachev. This is what will likely happen, unless Sather can find the space to fit in a more experienced winger.

Regarding Drury, yeah, big time pickle. I would hope that they buy him out, but with a guy whose reputation with the team is as good as it is, I don't know if Sather would have the balls to do it.

Quote:
And then there's Wolski. I loved him back in Colorado, but I just don't know now. There's only 3 situations that can happen with him if he's kept on board.

A) The best scenario, he finds his game, and puts up respectable points playing with either Richards/Gaborik, or Anisimov/Callahan.
B) He takes up a spot in the Top 6 and continues to be an inconsistent player who fails to impress. Maybe putting up 40 points.
C) He gets thrown into the Bottom 6 again, and a player of his type is completely ineffective if he's not scoring in a Top 6 role. So you have essentially $3.8M on the cap for nothing.

Is Wolski worth keeping? I'm not against the idea, but our performance can really sway depending on how he plays.
Wolski will likely be one of the team's cap casualties this summer. I don't expect him to be with the team come training camp, nor do I want him to be anywhere near it. He's just too much of a headcase. Maybe try and trade him for a low pick, and even if no one will take him, we can buy him out for a very low price - that's already been speculated/rumoured by Arthur Staple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus

You can hate the shootout as much as your heart desires, but they still count as wins. I don't like it myself, but it is what it is.

My point is, though, adding a player like Richards would make more of those shootout wins become regulation and OT wins.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:45 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

Yeah, but I think goal differential is a more telling factor as to whether or not a particular team is a "playoff team". Shootout wins don't equal a loss. and it's really difficult to determine how a team would play if the point structure were different. In my eyes, with specialists like EC and MZA, you really can't fault the Rangers for trying to take OT games to the SO. Personally, I'd like to see the point structure change and the ridiculous rule that SO wins are less important (for playoff qualifications only) but equal in points to regular wins. Make it a 3-2-1 point system.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
That certainly isn't the lineup I expect. We'll likely see players like Kreider, Hagelin, or Grachev make it, one or two of Avery, Drury, or Wolski bought out/traded, and we don't even know if they'll QO Gilroy. Fedetenko is a player that will most likely be re-signed, and with the passing of Boogaard, we could add an enforcer like Eric Boulton or Steve MacIntyre.
That's if one of the prospects make it, though. I'd really feel a lot better about this team if we had another competent scoring winger. Hagelin isn't a goal-scorer, Grachev hasn't found his offensive game yet and it won't happen overnight, and Kreider almost definitely can't handle the 1st line yet, let alone the NHL.
I thought I read Gilroy was almost definitely getting resigned. I'm sure he is, just not at his current salary. Not really a big deal either way, though. And Fedotenko I 180% want back, but as my entire point was heading, somebody needs to be bought out for Richards+ to happen. Without a buyout, we can only just barely fit our RFAs and Richards under the summer cap. That was basically the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
High hopes for Gilroy? He's 27, and he's shown nothing but disappointing play throughout his two seasons here. He's a 3rd pairing defenseman when he's playing at his absolute best, and his best is still below average when compared to the rest of the league. Del Zotto, yes, he should bounce back, and even if he doesn't, he's still a kid, there's still time for him to get his game back together. I expect we'll see that 3rd right pairing opening filled within the organization, or I could see Sather signing a veteran guy.
I guess by "high hopes" I meant, I still have hopes he can become a competent #5. He really shows flashes of decent skill, I think there's something there he just hasn't gotten down yet. He looked tons better in the playoffs, and I think it's worth giving him another shot if he'll back for a cheap $1M~ deal. As for a veteran signing, I don't know how many UFA defenseman I'd be okay with Sather signing this summer. Babchuk still sounds nice, if not just for some experimentation on the powerplay. He's gotten better since he came back to the NHL. Maybe I'd be okay with Jan Hejda. Maybe Andy Greene too. Ian White's name has been thrown around on these boards, but I'm nervous about his upcoming contract, and I'm even more nervous about the fact that he's been on 3 teams this season alone.

Quote:
Wolski will likely be one of the team's cap casualties this summer. I don't expect him to be with the team come training camp, nor do I want him to be anywhere near it. He's just too much of a headcase. Maybe try and trade him for a low pick, and even if no one will take him, we can buy him out for a very low price - that's already been speculated/rumoured by Arthur Staple.
Well, that's my point. I was saying the line-up I originally posted (the way the team would be if we ended up not buying anyone out, or moving anybody) was not going to be very good. Probably a playoff team with Richards, but definitely not an upper seed. No way. If everything went right for me this summer, only 3 acquisitions should be made.

--Richards
--A Top 6 LW
--Cheap, Vet Defenseman, who can maybe even help the PP

Richards is at least somewhat likely to happen, and a Vet 3rd pairing defenseman won't be hard to come by. I just have no idea where that LW can come from. If we have Richards, the 2 main pieces missing would be a Top 6 LW other than Dubinsky, and a good offensive defenseman to pair with Richards at the point on the powerplay. But I still think Del Zotto will turn into just that, so I'm still against any expensive signings/trades for that slot to be filled.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

If we can free space with us having a good chance playing in the winter classic it would attract some nice free agents like Brad Richards.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:31 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef View Post
If we can free space with us having a good chance playing in the winter classic it would attract some nice free agents like Brad Richards.
Ehhhh I'm sure the players think the Winter Classic is cool, but I sincerely doubt anybody would let one game be a deciding factor when picking a team.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:33 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Gaborik, McDonagh for Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds, 2nd round pick 2011

Wolski to whoever for 3rd or 4th round pick

Drury bought out

Avery to minors

Richards 6 years @ 6.5 million per
Brunette 1 year @ 1.25 million
Bieksa 4 years @ 3.25 million per

Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Kreider Stepan Brunette
Grachev Anisimov Zuccarello
Simmonds Boyle Prust

Staal Johnson
Sauer Girardi <-- Yes I know Sauer is normally a RD.
Del Zotto Bieksa

Lundqvist
Biron
It makes no sense to sign Richards if you are going to trade gaborik. The whole emphasis on signing richards has been because gaborik has had no legitimate number 1 center to get him the puck.

I just dont get some people on this board. Its like they ignore common sense.

Closed Thread