HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic Goaltending Options

Old
05-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I honestly don't think it will take much to go and get Schneider. Hartnell or Carle? Versteeg?

3 pieces I wouldn't hate to move.

Schneider is a RFA after next season so don't expect him to be in Vancouver after this season.
Ah, I think Vancouver will be looking for some good young pieces in return.

Even if you want to move those pieces, why move them for a goalie that is going to essentially make Bob have almost no value to us? I don't have much interest in acquiring a young goalie to compete with Bob... just doesn't make sense at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think it does come down to the "win now" thing. If you think a goalie, who is 3 years older then your current starter is a sure thing #1 (which Schneider hasnt proven yet) then I guess you go for it. Bob is 3 years younger and has played more games than Schneider. I do think its a kinda of waste to give up on him, after one season, where he actually Bob looked good, because the other guy has..um... more experience in the league years wise. Schneider's rookie season, in the few games he played, he was downright horrible. Other then the hype some people give him, Schneider hasnt shown he is a surefire starter, anymore than Bob has.
As said, if Bob wasn't here (and hadn't shown the promise he did this past year) I would be quite interested in Schneider. Similar to you, however, Schneider doesn't strike me as necessarily all that much of an upgrade to Bob... especially in the immediate.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
People say they don't want to overpay for a goalie, assuming that's just cap talk.

In a trade, you'll definitely have to overpay for Schneider.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:51 PM
phlocky

Quote:
I think it does come down to the "win now" thing. If you think a goalie, who is 3 years older then your current starter is a sure thing #1 (which Schneider hasnt proven yet) then I guess you go for it. Bob is 3 years younger and has played more games than Schneider. I do think its a kinda of waste to give up on him, after one season, where he actually Bob looked good, because the other guy has..um... more experience in the league years wise. Schneider's rookie season, in the few games he played, he was downright horrible. Other then the hype some people give him, Schneider hasnt shown he is a surefire starter, anymore than Bob has.

We CAN'T go into next season with Bobrovsky as our #1 goalie. He's just not ready. This season showed that in spades. He wore down mentally and he still needs a lot of work. He has the potential to be a top 1/3rd goalie in the league but I still believe that Schneider has a much better chance of reaching that level both in the future and very soon.

Schneider looked LIGHT YEARS better than he did 2 years ago, as well he SHOULD. Schneider has shown growth every year and at every level of play. If we are talking about Schneider from last year vs bobrovsky of this year, no I don't make that trade. However, we just don't know if Bob is going to grow next year or regress. Schneider has already shown good growth in the NHL.

I understand that many people here don't want him and don't see him as the solution or a better option than Bob. I just don't think we are going to get one of Bryz or Vokoun unless we trade Carter AND one of Hartnell/Versteeg/Carle/Coburn/Meszaros and even then we probably have to let Leino walk too.

If we could sign Bryz and then trade Carter for Bogosian + 7th OA in 2011, and Carle + 2012 1st for say Hodgson or Schoeder then I'd be ok with that but I just don't think that Carter will be dealt after just being signed to an 11 year deal regardless of us signing Bryz or not.

Seeing how I don't think we will realistically get either of the top 2 UFA goalies this year, I think the next best option is to go with Schneider and pick up another quality forward prospect ready for the NHL and have it only cost us assets we can afford to lose (Bob if we have Schneider, Hartnell/Versteeg, and a 1st we OBVIOUSLY don't need nor value seeing Homers trade history over the last 30 months).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Schneider is both more ready to be a #1 and he's more of a sure thing" at this point. Bob MIGHT be just as good or even better in the future, however the point of the post was to show that we are NOT going to get one of Bryz/Vokoun so we are looking at a situation that Chi tried this year with the Turco dissaster where Bob is again "the man" where he is ready for it or not. I persoanally would rather have Schneider be "the man" for us next year rather than hoping Bob turns it around. Bob looked good at times but he has A LOT to work on.

You say that one of the best attributes of Bob is his mental fortitude??? Then why was he CLEARLY burned out by the last 6 weeks of the season with only playing about 60% of the games???? I know it's more than he was used to getting but if you expect him to be "the man" then he's damned well better be ablt to play in 60 games or so each and every year. IF something were to happen and we had to rely on Bob again next year I think we'd be in much the same boat as this year.

I've watched a lot of Schneider (Vanc is my #2 team hence why I know and like their prospects too) and I definitely see him as a better long term solution than Bob.

Bob is most likely NOT ready to be a #1 next year, Schneider IS. Don't forget that we also trade then Hartnell but we replace him with a very good young player in Schroeder. Shcroeder is green but should be ready for the NHL next year. He's far and away better than any prospect currently NOT on the Flyers and that includes Eriksson, Wellwood and Gustafsson.
Bobrovsky showed just as much at NHL level if not more then Schneider and is younger by nearly 3 years.

I dont see how you can claim Schneider is more ready or is more of a sure thing. He played on the best team in NHL this yeas year ,, I take his stats with a grain of salt especially since he was more likely to go up vs weaker opponents to give Luongo rest

And to comparision with Hawks situation makes no sense. Byrzgalov and Vokoun are far better goalies then Turco was. Turco already had ? about his ability when signed by Hawks. And that was a forced move. Hawks would have prefered to resign Niemi and go with Niemi/Crawford duo but the cap forced us into situation.

Any before this season the most Sergei Bobrovsky had played was 35 with his KHL team last year.

Not suprising to see a player wear down playing so many more games then he had ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I honestly don't think it will take much to go and get Schneider. Hartnell or Carle? Versteeg?

3 pieces I wouldn't hate to move.

Schneider is a RFA after next season so don't expect him to be in Vancouver after this season.
Nucks #1 offseason priority is resigning Erhoff and Bieksa

They wont take on the $$$ owed to those guys you offer up and honestly they would probably pass up on them if offered

Carle's D is brutal thus he wont fit Nucks system
Versteeg is extremly streak and redundant with Mason Raymond already on Nucks
Hartnell carries a big cap hit but also carries inconsistancy ,, Dont see Nucks bringing him in

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Just because he looks better (in a backup role with the best team in the West/league), doesnt mean he is gonna be better. Like I said before countless times, Schneider has not shown anything, other then a few games, that he is a #1 goalie. Instead of overpaying for a goalie that might or might not be a starter next year, just go for a vet goalie (look at Rolo if you cant get Vokoun or Bryz) and just wait out for Bob. I know we are in win mode right now, but its foolish to trade away a goalie, who is 3 years young and has played more games then the other goalie. Some people are speculating that Bob needs about 1 more year as a backup/1B kind of guy before he can take the starting job. At that time, he will be a 24 yr old with around 90 NHL games under his belt.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Jester

Quote:
Just because he looks better (in a backup role with the best team in the West/league), doesnt mean he is gonna be better. Like I said before countless times, Schneider has not shown anything, other then a few games, that he is a #1 goalie. Instead of overpaying for a goalie that might or might not be a starter next year, just go for a vet goalie (look at Rolo if you cant get Vokoun or Bryz) and just wait out for Bob. I know we are in win mode right now, but its foolish to trade away a goalie, who is 3 years young and has played more games then the other goalie. Some people are speculating that Bob needs about 1 more year as a backup/1B kind of guy before he can take the starting job. At that time, he will be a 24 yr old with around 90 NHL games under his belt.
It would be really awesome if they could talk Vokoun into a two year deal.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:11 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bobrovsky showed just as much at NHL level if not more then Schneider and is younger by nearly 3 years.

I dont see how you can claim Schneider is more ready or is more of a sure thing. He played on the best team in NHL this yeas year ,, I take his stats with a grain of salt especially since he was more likely to go up vs weaker opponents to give Luongo rest

And to comparision with Hawks situation makes no sense. Byrzgalov and Vokoun are far better goalies then Turco was. Turco already had ? about his ability when signed by Hawks. And that was a forced move. Hawks would have prefered to resign Niemi and go with Niemi/Crawford duo but the cap forced us into situation.

Any before this season the most Sergei Bobrovsky had played was 35 with his KHL team last year.

Not suprising to see a player wear down playing so many more games then he had ever before.

Nucks #1 offseason priority is resigning Erhoff and Bieksa

They wont take on the $$$ owed to those guys you offer up and honestly they would probably pass up on them if offered

Carle's D is brutal thus he wont fit Nucks system
Versteeg is extremly streak and redundant with Mason Raymond already on Nucks
Hartnell carries a big cap hit but also carries inconsistancy ,, Dont see Nucks bringing him in

The comparison with the Hawks was under the scenario where we DON'T get one of Bryz or Vokoun and go with another older goalie who is a shell of what they formerly were, ie - the scenario with chi and Turco last year.

Old
05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It would be really awesome if they could talk Vokoun into a two year deal.
That's who I really want, I just don't know if we can do it. I've run the numbers. If we trade Hartnell and Carle and just say goodbye to Carcillo, replace those 3 with Wellwood, Rinaldo and Gustafsson, resign our UFA's/RFA's with only Leino getting any kind of significant raise AND the cap goes up 2 mil, we will have at most 6 mil for a starting goalie, a 13th forward, a 7th dman, and leave enough for injury call-ups.

Would I say goodbye to 3 of Carle/Verstteg/Leino/Hartnell to get Vokoun or Bryz, YES. However, just because I would do it doesn't mean that Homer IS going to do it. I don't have that much faith in him to make that much of a shake-up in the team to actually get us a #1 goalie. I think he'll go with a cheaper stop-gap and throw away yet another year.

Oh, and YES Bob was over used this year. I've said it many times. He was worn out. He should have played less early in the year and the last month to 6 weeks of the season he should have been worked in as the guy to carry the team. THAT was a coaching error.

Old
05-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
The comparison with the Hawks was under the scenario where we DON'T get one of Bryz or Vokoun and go with another older goalie who is a shell of what they formerly were, ie - the scenario with chi and Turco last year.
My mistake mis read that

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Not really has to do with our starting goalie, but I somehow missed the Eriksson article that came out a month ago.

Quote:
Joacim Eriksson has finished his debut season for Skellefteć in the Elitserien. He totalled 90.7 save percentage and 2.56 goals against average in 17 games. It wasn't as many games as he would've hoped to get, but the season as a whole was a positive experience for the 21 year old.

Now he hopes to hear something from the Flyers. He believes he will stay with Skellefteć next season, but wants to hear the Flyers' opinion as well.

"I’m going to talk with my agent and we’ll see what he says and what the Flyers will say."

"So far I haven’t heard anything from the Flyers. I have one year left in my contract with Skellefteć and I’ve enjoyed myself here."

"I’ll gladly play more games in the Elitserien before trying to grab a spot in North America. I think I’m going to stay here next season."

It looks very likely that that next year will be spent with Skellefteć again, but Eriksson does hold the door open for the Flyers' plans as well.
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...rom-the-flyers

I can see them waiting one more season till Backlund's contract runs out, and then Eriksson comes in at 22 and starts for Phantoms. Would be interesting to see if Eriksson comes over this coming season. Obviously he wont be on the big squad (well we think anyway haha), but I dont think it would be a bad thing for him to split time with Backlund in the AHL.

Either way we got two young promising goalies.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The Phantoms will also probably have Leighton next year, too. The Flyers typically like to have their 3rd goalie not be waiver eligible.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote