HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - New Jersey

Old
05-15-2011, 03:44 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

vCash: 500
Montreal - New Jersey

Yannick Weber

Nick Palmieri

New Jersey gives up a winger prospect who has struggled a little bit in the NHL but looks like he could be a great power forward going forward. Montreal gives New Jersey a young defenseman who looks great and could be ready to fill a hole in the NJ blueline as soon as next season.

Could be the basis of a different trade if the value needs tweaking.

SlappyMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Bieber fever

Montreal would have to add

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Vujtek

Devils already have their "yannickweber" in Matt Taormina. They don't need two of those type of players. Not at the expense of Palmieri.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:54 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Devils already have their "yannickweber" in Matt Taormina. They don't need two of those type of players. Not at the expense of Palmieri.
Taormina is more of an OFD whereas Weber is a DFD with good offensive upside.

Old
05-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlappyMcGee View Post
Taormina is more of an OFD whereas Weber is a DFD with good offensive upside.
Really? I've always considered Weber as a smallish offensive D-man and great PP-player with not so great defensive game. Hasn't he also been used as a 4th line winger in Montreal?

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:00 PM
Felkov

Quote:
Really? I've always considered Weber as a smallish offensive D-man and great PP-player with not so great defensive game. Hasn't he also been used as a 4th line winger in Montreal?
Yes, you're right

Felkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Quote:
That's a good point, although in Montreal the fourth line tends to really just be an energy line where offensive scoring is kind of outside of that thought. (More often than not, it's players in the doghouse for not scoring )

But I find Weber's defensive play to be really good and he's definitely much more than the "slapshot from the point" that a lot of OFD's are. He's working really hard and he seems defensively responsible, and he could come to NJ and fill a role as a puck-moving D.

As for adding on Montreal's side, how far is the value off? I know Palmieri has struggled a bit lately but if fans still think he's going to be what he was projected to be a couple of years back then the deal definitely needs tweaking.

Old
05-15-2011, 04:27 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Palmieri for another General Tao? I'll pass.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Palmieri struggled? That's news to me, he was fine playing with Kovalchuk.

I think we should give the players we have the opportunity to step up before we start looking for trades. Taormina and Fayne have similar games to Weber's. Urbom could end up developing into a great offensive defenceman. But we have to keep a spot open for that.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:04 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

It's pretty fair in terms of raw value, Montreal might have to add a low pick or whatever. But Weber isn't the kind of guy that that's going to solve our PMD problems all by himself, and our RW depth isn't that great to begin with. We have plenty of young/prospect bottom pairing offensive defenseman like Salmela, Taormina, Corrente, Burlon, etc. If we're going to use Palmieri as trade bait I'd rather add a few more assets and make an nice package offer for an established guy.

A polite no thanks but New Jersey has to go big or go home.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:12 PM
JHabs61

Weber is a two way package! he can be useful as a defensive forward or a D-man. he showed he can score as a D and a forward

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 05:26 PM
SlappyMcGee
=w=

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
It's pretty fair in terms of raw value, Montreal might have to add a low pick or whatever. But Weber isn't the kind of guy that that's going to solve our PMD problems all by himself, and our RW depth isn't that great to begin with. We have plenty of young/prospect bottom pairing offensive defenseman like Salmela, Taormina, Corrente, Burlon, etc. If we're going to use Palmieri as trade bait I'd rather add a few more assets and make an nice package offer for an established guy.

A polite no thanks but New Jersey has to go big or go home.
Good post, makes sense.