Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2011-12 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Herman the German

vCash: 500
This is a stat from Thomas Kuhnhackl in his second year in the DNL.

2007-2008 EV Landshut DNL F Hauptrunde 30 21 21 42 97

This is a stat from Nickolas Latta in his second year in the DNL.

2009-2010 SC Riessersee DNL F Hauptrunde 34 31 31 62 74

This was directed to Sempron. Thomas played on one of the best teams at that time here in Germany. Where Nickolas played on one of the worst teams here in Germany at that time. Looking at that stat tells me alot,like you said Sempron,if given the ice time,I am sure he will be a nice surprise,like Thomas. I have said this also,stats are for losers but they don't lie. Stay thirsty my friends.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:12 PM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman the German View Post
This is a stat from Thomas Kuhnhackl in his second year in the DNL.

2007-2008 EV Landshut DNL F Hauptrunde 30 21 21 42 97

This is a stat from Nickolas Latta in his second year in the DNL.

2009-2010 SC Riessersee DNL F Hauptrunde 34 31 31 62 74

This was directed to Sempron. Thomas played on one of the best teams at that time here in Germany. Where Nickolas played on one of the worst teams here in Germany at that time. Looking at that stat tells me alot,like you said Sempron,if given the ice time,I am sure he will be a nice surprise,like Thomas. I have said this also,stats are for losers but they don't lie. Stay thirsty my friends.
Kuhnackl was also a year younger than Latta in his 2nd year in the DNL (He's a 1992, Latta is a 1993, but 2 year difference in the seasons). Kuhnhackl is also 6'2" Latta is 5'10" and if he's a dynamic player, he didn't show it in any of the games I saw him play. With that said stats don't always tell the story, I'd assume there's a few players that will battle for 2nd line minutes, Latta is one of them, his offseason will be very important, he has to work harder than all but 5 guys on that forward core. I think he can do it, but i'm sure it'll be interesting. He's already got a great shot.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:57 PM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
Belleville drafted a goalie in the 7th round and then in the 15th. I can't imagine with these picks being later that they are going to make any goalie changes this year. They would have picked one of the top goalies out there if their plan was to release who they have I would think. They need to bring in someone is going to be happy playing a few games here and there behind Hope.
Don't forget about Daniel Altshuller, he is the best 1994 goalie born in ontario, and isn't going to report to Belleville with Subban and Teichmann in net for the Bulls. That would be a huge loss for Belleville if they didn't bring him in to hold onto Teichmann who the bulls fans have more or less given up on, Subban is their man, and Altshuller, is an outstanding goalie and probably better than Subban. That is why Teichmann will be moved, they aren't touching Subban, and would be dumb to dispose of Altshuller.

Old
05-14-2011, 07:07 AM
jwalk

Last night's awards show went pretty much as expected with Yakupov (MVP, forward, co rookie), Galchenyuk ( co rookie, fitness), and Chiarlitti (scholastic, humanitarian) taking home most of the hardware.

Letowski announced that the team expected both Rogalski, and Broussard to be back as OA's next season. (assuming neither makes a pro team). Rogalski also picked up the defenceman of the year award. (obviously based on his offensive stats and not his defensive play). If the rumours of Carnevale coming over from Windsor are true that would leave Stoughton, and Donati on the outside looking in.

Beaulieu made a small speech at the end and said he'd already been working the phones and wanted to be active in the trade market. He said when he was GM in St. John he was a very active trader.He could be looking to deal some of his excess OA's.
Hopefully, he doesn't get too trigger happy with the team's draft picks. One thing I really liked about MacQueen was he built thru the draft.

All but 4 of the draftees attended . Kujawinski looks to be a real big , solid kid as does De Angelo. We'll find out this afternoon just how good these kids are.

Last edited by jwalk: 05-14-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old
05-14-2011, 07:37 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Last night's awards show went pretty much as expected with Yakupov (MVP, forward, co rookie), Galchenyuk ( co rookie, fitness), and Chiarlitti (scholastic, humanitarian) taking home most of the hardware.

Letowski announced that the team expected both Rogalski, and Broussard to be back as OA's next season. (assuming neither makes a pro team). Rogalski also picked up the defenceman of the year award. (obviously based on his offensive stats and not his defensive play). If the rumours of Carnevale coming over from Windsor are true that would leave Stoughton, and Donati on the outside looking in.

Beaulieu made a small speech at the end and said he'd already been working the phones and wanted to be active in the trade market. He said when he was GM in St. John he was a very active trader.He could be looking to deal some of his excess OA's.
Hopefully, he doesn't get too trigger happy with the team's draft picks. One thing I really liked about MacQueen was he built thru the draft.

All but 4 of the draftees attended . Kujawinski looks to be a real big , solid kid as does De Angelo. We'll find out this afternoon just how good these kids are.

the rumours about carnavale are true

he has been dealt to sarnia unofficiallly

his name is not on the board at spitfire office

Old
05-14-2011, 08:00 AM
dansk55

Do you think Jaques comment about being on the phones was a scare tactic?
You won't see Donati back or stoughton. Donati was given his walking papers at the exit interviews.

Old
05-14-2011, 08:26 AM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Do you think Jaques comment about being on the phones was a scare tactic?
You won't see Donati back or stoughton. Donati was given his walking papers at the exit interviews.
I think he was definitely trying to deliver a message. He also referenced the fact that the team would also try and bring in the best available FA's for training camp. Everybody around the league knows how this team packed it in in February - obviously that didn't go unnoticed by Beaulieu. I'd be looking for him to try and deal some of the worst offenders for mailing it in after it became apparent the team wasn't going to make the playoffs.

Old
05-14-2011, 08:50 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

New poster on HFBoards but I am a longtime veteran contributor over at the dobberhockey.com forums as I write under the OHL Section.

As a local to the Sarnia area, I am obviously looking forward to seeing the product that the Sting organization puts on the ice. For once in their existence, Sarnia should have a competitive team and things are finally looking up.

I had planned on attending the scrimmages today at the RBC Center but wasn't able to get into town in time. Did anyone attend the scrimmages and have any observations to pass on?

I plan on going to the morning scrimmage Sunday and will pass on some of my thoughts.

Any rumours on what the Sting would give up for Carnevale?

Old
05-14-2011, 09:07 PM
jwalk

Some brief observations from the Mini Camp Scrimmage this evening :

- The level of talent was good and the scrimmage was fairly competitive . IT even featured a scrap (between Josh Chapman and a 94 born walk on Justice Dundas ) which I believe is a first at one of these Prospects Camps.

- IT was somewhat disappointing that for whatever reason neither of the top picks Kujawinski nor DeAngelo played. Not sure the exact reason but my guess is that because they will already be on the team the management preferred to look at some other players instead. Personally, I'd rather see the top picks play rather than some 92 born walk on who would have little chance of making the team no matter how good they were.

- Standouts were : Chapman, Davis Brown and Connor Primeau for the Gold Team and for Team Black : Dundas and another 94 born walk on Robert Rowe. Rowe is a big kid - reminds me a lot of Alderson but plays with a bit more of an edge. All should get an invite to the main camp. Another 95 Braxton Andrews wasn't flashy but looks like he's got the potential to become a player in this league. There were others that also played well also but off the top of my head the ones I mentioned were among the best.

- the new draftee goalie Gunner Rivers also looked good as did Brody Barrick and another walk on Matthieu Verreault.

dean :Rumour is that the Sting will ship back the 2nd round pick they recently aquired from Windsor for Carnevale.

Old
05-14-2011, 09:20 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Some brief observations from the Mini Camp Scrimmage this evening :

- The level of talent was good and the scrimmage was fairly competitive . IT even featured a scrap (between Josh Chapman and a 94 born walk on Justice Dundas ) which I believe is a first at one of these Prospects Camps.

- IT was somewhat disappointing that for whatever reason neither of the top picks Kujawinski nor DeAngelo played. Not sure the exact reason but my guess is that because they will already be on the team the management preferred to look at some other players instead. Personally, I'd rather see the top picks play rather than some 92 born walk on who would have little chance of making the team no matter how good they were.

- Standouts were : Chapman, Davis Brown and Connor Primeau for the Gold Team and for Team Black : Dundas and another 94 born walk on Robert Rowe. Rowe is a big kid - reminds me a lot of Alderson but plays with a bit more of an edge. All should get an invite to the main camp. Another 95 Braxton Andrews wasn't flashy but looks like he's got the potential to become a player in this league. There were others that also played well also but off the top of my head the ones I mentioned were among the best.

- the new draftee goalie Gunner Rivers also looked good as did Brody Barrick and another walk on Matthieu Verreault.

dean :Rumour is that the Sting will ship back the 2nd round pick they recently aquired from Windsor for Carnevale.
Thanks jwalk.

Always good to hear what I missed.

I am pretty sure Justice Dundas is not a "walk-on". He was Sarnia's 12th round selection this year.

It's definitely disappointing that DeAngelo or Kujawinski didn't suit up for the scrimmage. I will be attending tomorrow so maybe there is a chance they get into the scrimmage tomorrow.

Other thoughts:

- After talking to a local scout who attended the scrimmage today, he said was impressed with Mike DiPaolo, Davis Brown, Billy Exell, Nicholas Neal and Michael Woolley.

I have never been to a mini-camp before, is there a roster lineup available?

Old
05-14-2011, 10:23 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Thanks jwalk.

I am pretty sure Justice Dundas is not a "walk-on". He was Sarnia's 12th round selection this year.

It's definitely disappointing that DeAngelo or Kujawinski didn't suit up for the scrimmage. I will be attending tomorrow so maybe there is a chance they get into the scrimmage tomorrow.

Other thoughts:

- After talking to a local scout who attended the scrimmage today, he said was impressed with Mike DiPaolo, Davis Brown, Billy Exell, Nicholas Neal and Michael Woolley.

#1 and #2 are hurt.

Old
05-15-2011, 07:18 AM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Thanks jwalk.

Other thoughts:

THere may still be some roster line ups laying on one of the tables near the main door or at the west end of the rink. Typically, there aren't enough of these so if you want one you better get there early.

THey aren't usually totally accurate. For instance yesterday they had the Dundas listed as a 94 (although I should have picked up on the fact that that was wrong. My bad. ). They also had the teams listed incorrectly as Gold was Black and Black was Gold. Also some time players change numbers so you may totally have the wrong name. Bottom line is if you want one you need to be there about 20 minutes early- because without one going to one of these is a waste of time because it's impossible to know who's who. The team should consider posting the rosters on the website so people could just print them off.

THe quality of the players and competition has improved markedly over the last few years ( I've been going since the 2005 camp). The talent is there and the main camp should be highly competitive. Let's hope that the new regime can do something with all the talent they've got. I was impressed with the way way Letowski handled the kids during the practices. I think any of the players would like to play for an associate coach like that.

Old
05-15-2011, 07:20 AM
johnnydrum

Great job Jwalk!
I do love reading reports on the guys.
Am I right in thinking that Chapman was the kid who played last year and threw out on a devastating hit one game (was against the Soo?)
I was a little glum to read that the new picks were not present>? What was the word on that?

Also, apart from Hope, who/what is our back up for this year?
I am looking at the roster and see Sean Parker (?)
Also, who is the forward Jesse Drydak?
I dont recall hearing either of thier names last year?

Old
05-15-2011, 07:50 AM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Great job Jwalk!
I do love reading reports on the guys.
Am I right in thinking that Chapman was the kid who played last year and threw out on a devastating hit one game (was against the Soo?)
I was a little glum to read that the new picks were not present>? What was the word on that?

Also, apart from Hope, who/what is our back up for this year?
I am looking at the roster and see Sean Parker (?)
You're right johnny that is the same Chapman . He was a call up from the Legionaires last year. I think he's got a good shot at making the team this year. IMO he was the best defenceman on the ice yesterday.

It was disappointing not having the top picks on the ice but glad to hear it wasn't by design as apparently it was injury related. Just an unhappy coincidence.

The likely scenario for the goalies is that they will bring in a vet to support Hope. Parker was listed on the roster but I don't believe he played. (unless the handouts were screwed up again). One of the prospects could end up with the Legionaires.

Drydak was a call up from junior B and I believe a 91 so he won't be on the team this year.

In past years the team had some of the top young players who were on the team from previous years at the Prospect skate . i.e. kids like a Galchenyuk. This year they've decided to go just with drafted prospects and free agents. THe purpose of this camp is for the management to get a look at the drafted prospects and to determine who might get an invite to the main camp in September.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:44 AM
johnnydrum

Great reading about the camp guys.
Shame the top 2 picks didnt attend, but what about the third pick, the high scoring kid-Daniel Nikandrov.??

Does the fact that the number 1 and 2 guys attended camp indicate that they will both for sure be playing for us in 2011, or is it a "look an see" exercise?

Old
05-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Pass the Puck
@sarniasports

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
Drydak was the Sarnia Legionnaires star forward and leading scorer.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:52 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I am currently at the Sunday scrimmage and its 3-0 Black after 20 minutes.

Best players on the ice:
- Davis Brown (Sarnia could have sniped a gem here. He can skate, handle the puck well, pass and shoot. He's also very elusive)
- Daniel Nikandrov (he has had a few good plays but isn't noticeable every shift. His inconsistency seems to be accurate so far from what scouts were saying)
- CimeTta and Braxton Andrews have both been solid on the backend. Michael Woolley has been good too
- Nathan Mater (I don't know too much abour him but he has stood out in the first period)
- Gunner Rivers (G) hasn't really been tested but has looked solid. Good pick in him this year

Puck has just dropped in the 2nd. I will chime in later with more thougfhts

Old
05-15-2011, 05:34 PM
sittinginasuite

Semp, good call on underlined players that will be on the team.
Don't expect Brandon Francisco to make this team. If his feelings were hurt being yelled at by Dave MacQueen he will HATE Jacques!
Also I think Alderson might still get a chance to start the season, so Jacques can see what he has and if he buys in, if not he's gone to!
Both guys quit last season! No room for quitters on this team!

Joe and Brossaurd will be back. hopefully the new GM and caoch is good for joe. He took a couple steps back last season.

Nice to see more good draft picks!!

As for Yakkie, he will be back. This kid wants to be #1 into the NHL. He won't be #1 into the NHL playing in the KHL. This kids loves being the centre of attention and the limelight. He will only get that this season game in and game out in the OHL.

He and gally will kill teams. Hopey will be very good, but need a vet goalie to backstop him. We need mean tough defencemen, so hopefully they have some. Also need a couple of tough guys! That can play hopefully but also show other teams, like the KNIGHTS, that you cant run around cheap shotting gally and yakkie!!

Old
05-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Ottomatic

Is the Spits/Sting deal as you're hearing it just Carnevale straight up for the 2016 second rounder returned? That would make the trade Carnevale and a 2014 3rd rounder for a 2011 second rounder and 2011 11th rounder.

Given Varone was traded for a second and third at the beginning of last year and D'Orazio was traded for three seconds, Carrick traded for a second, a third and a fourth - both at the deadline (ie half year rentals) - wouldn't the Spits be getting royally ripped off? Or did we pay a premium because it was so close to the draft?

Old
05-15-2011, 06:58 PM
hockeylegend11

otto

you are correct with your last line

Old
05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
thescout911

Who attended the minicamp? Best goalie, best forward, best d? Any standouts? Anyone with potential to make it this year?

Old
05-15-2011, 07:56 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout911 View Post
Who attended the minicamp? Best goalie, best forward, best d? Any standouts? Anyone with potential to make it this year?
Scroll up and start reading - there's a few posts on the subject.

To save you having to wade thru all of it I'll give you the USA Today Version :

- me
- Gunner Rivers
- Davis Brown ( top 2 picks were injured)
- Josh Chapman
- yes besides the above mentioned there were a number of very, very good players
- Chapman and Brown have a shot of maybe making the lineup this year. If the system was totally fair a number of others could be there but that's not the way things work.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:46 PM
krauss72

Am assuming kujawinski and deangelo will sign and be on the roster. Outside of them cimetta, dipaolo, paat, wooley, brown, gendron, uchyn, andrews, chapman, rivers, nikandrov are all names we might see again at main camp.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:29 PM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Am assuming kujawinski and deangelo will sign and be on the roster. Outside of them cimetta, dipaolo, paat, wooley, brown, gendron, uchyn, andrews, chapman, rivers, nikandrov are all names we might see again at main camp.
Purcell, Primeau, Barrick are missing from the list of those to be back in the Fall, at least in my opinion.

Old
05-15-2011, 10:35 PM
thescout911

My friend who travelled up to watch the camp told me the same picks jwalk had are pretty much the same. So here's a bit of a tougher question and I'm open to hearing suggestions from everyone. In the position of goalie forward and d who were the biggest surprises and dissapointments?

Closed Thread