Notices

Derek Boogard Found Dead

Old
05-15-2011, 06:12 PM
BREWINZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdL View Post
Just wanted to say I'm embarrassed for Boston after watching that moment of silence. More than one person yelling and laughing... first time I've EVER seen a moment of silence cut short. Disgusting.
Agreed.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:20 PM
slasher911

I was at the game and I didn't hear anything besides someone yelling "Boogeyman".

You guys are blowing things way out of proportion.

slasher911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by slasher911 View Post
I was at the game and I didn't hear anything besides someone yelling "Boogeyman".

Me either,, must have been all the hooligans in the loge.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:22 PM
KillerKampfer*

It was a short minute, I think people wanted to start a chant or something for him but they cut it too short. Didn't hear anthing other than the guy yelling Boogeyman or some Boogs.

Anyone paying money to be in the building last night had a good amount of respect for this guy had a reputation for being a great guy and was probably the toughest guy in the NHL.

Saw a few scuffles outside after the game which is rare, I think when you have to watch crap like that and walk out of the arena to find the bars not letting more people in because they are already filled with people who didn't go to the game and you have to wait in line thats gonna happen.

Some dude got dropped with a haymaker outside Grand Canal that Boogard would have been proud of.

I think the TD Garden staff does a pretty good job keeping folks from getting too drunk and chucking them if they are. What they need to do is try and pay more attention to the peices of trash who throw things. Throwing anything but a hat after a hat trick from the balcony should carry a year ban especially if its a beer like the poster in this thread mentioned. And anything on the ice is stupid, it will cost us a penalty we don't want to take sooner or later.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:24 PM
BREWINZ

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I heard yelling clearly on the broadcast. Moment of silence means just that. SILENCE. Not yelling his name.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Giannetti30

moment of silence means shut the **** up I dont get why theres always some people that have to yell its really annoying. Vancouver fans were much better at it tonight.

Giannetti30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewins View Post
I heard yelling clearly on the broadcast. Moment of silence means just that. SILENCE. Not yelling his name.
Exactly.

Yell and scream all you want after the moment of silence is over.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannetti30 View Post
moment of silence means shut the **** up I dont get why theres always some people that have to yell its really annoying. Vancouver fans were much better at it tonight.
I wonder how much that has to do with the 5PM local time start (on a Sunday) vs 8pm on a Saturday. Would assume the intoxication level isn't nearly as high.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Quote:

Heard the exact same stuff and a you rocked Boogey. Nothing disrespectful at all. I will say a moment of silence is just that but unlike other times, this was benign compared to the past.

Wherever it was, Versus picked up the one or two morons sadly.

Getting tired of the loge superiority complex around here when something negative happens at the Garden.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:

Thats the way I saw it on TV.

When you ask for a public moment of silence get ready...

Boston fans did the Boogard's family and the NHL proud IMHO.

05-15-2011, 08:42 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddkarma View Post
Thats the way I saw it on TV.

When you ask for a public moment of silence get ready...

Boston fans did the Boogard's family and the NHL proud IMHO.
I think a lot of it has to do with the type of player that Boogaard was. He was huge, he was mean, he was tough, he was the ultimate pugilist in the NHL. The perception of many fans is probably that he'd prefer someone yelling his name rather than a moment of silence.

Not trying to excuse any drunken idiots, but Boogaard was something of a rock star in the league - to some, a drunken guy screaming his name is more fitting than a moment of silence.

At least at home, I didn't hear anyone being disrespectful. I just heard someone yell his nickname.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:43 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

excuses

I was pretty disappointed with the crowd on multiple levels last night

Boston deserved to lose all around.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

We were up in the balcony (son and hubby in one section, sister, daughters, and I in another across from them )- there was nothing disrespectful said around us. We heard a couple of people yell out his name, but no booing or anything bad being said.

I do wish that they didn't say anything at all, but thankfully, nothing negative or rude was said, just his name. I think people would have decked anyone that said anything negative at that time.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 09:02 PM
finchster

Moment of silence for an athlete I think is silly. A moment of silence is meant to reflect and take a moment to think about the loss. Would an athlete want a quiet arena? What is there to reflect on? I watched an England National Soccer team game once and someone had died and they did a moment of applause while they showed highlights of this players career, I think that is more fitting tribute for an athlete.

finchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
excuses

I was pretty disappointed with the crowd on multiple levels last night

Boston deserved to lose all around.
Were you there last night?

Old
05-15-2011, 09:18 PM
KillerKampfer*

The fans were good. Except for the place emptying out after Marc Andre Bergeron's goal. Im a chronic early leaver regular season to get into the bars but wouldn't dare skip out early in and ECF game or SCF game where most of the people watching on TV are not fans of either team.

Screw the people who pack Garden bars who don't go to games so you can't get in. Why? Don't make me walk to freakin fanuel or stand in line with people who are going to get restless and start fights if they don't get in after 10 minutes. Buy a ticket and go to the game, if you can buy 6 dollar beers in a bar like Northstar or West End Johnnies 100-150 off stubhub isn't that much.

If we make the Cup finals its gonna really suck having to trek to Fanuel for a post game drink instead of grabbing one in a Garden bar. Every bar had a 30 minute wait near the Garden once I got out and I obv was forced to stay until the end b/c of all the leaving early going down.

Old
05-15-2011, 09:57 PM
misterjaggers

Memorial for Boogaard; his Brain donated for research

Did Boogaard have CTE? BU Medical School will autopsy his brain to find out.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...memorial_N.htm

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:41 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

My sister and I are listening to the game now. Wow- I promise you, it was not loud like that at the Garden. Other than a couple of people saying his name, it was quiet. I cannot believe how loud that sounded on TV- no wonder why people are complaining about it.

Old
05-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Bridges31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
The fans were good. Except for the place emptying out after Marc Andre Bergeron's goal. Im a chronic early leaver regular season to get into the bars but wouldn't dare skip out early in and ECF game or SCF game where most of the people watching on TV are not fans of either team.

Screw the people who pack Garden bars who don't go to games so you can't get in. Why? Don't make me walk to freakin fanuel or stand in line with people who are going to get restless and start fights if they don't get in after 10 minutes. Buy a ticket and go to the game, if you can buy 6 dollar beers in a bar like Northstar or West End Johnnies 100-150 off stubhub isn't that much.

If we make the Cup finals its gonna really suck having to trek to Fanuel for a post game drink instead of grabbing one in a Garden bar. Every bar had a 30 minute wait near the Garden once I got out and I obv was forced to stay until the end b/c of all the leaving early going down.
Plenty of people who can't afford to go to games might enjoy watching the game at bars around Boston surrounded by fellow Bruins fans. I don't see what's wrong with that. Stubhubs cheapest tickets for the balcony were about $160 each which is a lot for some people to drop on a game.

Bridges31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 11:56 PM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Plenty of people who can't afford to go to games might enjoy watching the game at bars around Boston surrounded by fellow Bruins fans. I don't see what's wrong with that. Stubhubs cheapest tickets for the balcony were about $160 each which is a lot for some people to drop on a game.
Good point Bridges. Not everyone looks at Stubhub 100x a day like me and knows the tickets dropped from 160 each to 100. You are correct on this front absolutely.

If your in the bar for the first period thats cool. More than cool. Even if you get there during the second and watch half the game.

Now showing up just before the game ends to bask in the buzz and be somewhere happening is weak for those actually at the game because if you don't leave early on a Saturday game like last night you will be waiting outside for 45 minutes for the people who chose Garden bar's as their Saturday nightout place and got there 15 minutes before the game ended to leave so you can go in. Which might be a while.

Old
05-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Bridges31

Ok. Even I'm to blame for talking about the ticket prices, but let's get back on topic here.

If you want to discuss alcohol at games, ticket prices, crowd, etc., let's talk about it in the GDT. A thread about Boogards death should be respectful.

Thanks.

Old
05-15-2011, 11:59 PM
KillerKampfer*

My fault please delete my posts Bridges you are correct forgot about which thread this was!

Old
05-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Bridges31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
My fault please delete my posts Bridges you are correct forgot about which thread this was!
It's ok. So did I at one point because I was switching between reading the GDT and this thread.

Old
05-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Simoneau

This was shocking to me. RIP Derek. Far too young.

Simoneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:07 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Did Boogaard have CTE? BU Medical School will autopsy his brain to find out.
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...memorial_N.htm
I believe more is going to come out about his mental state but that's garnered from that Ranger thread/source and now this.

BNHL is online now   Reply With Quote