HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Team Board Mock Draft

View Poll Results:
Sven Bartschi, LW, Portland (WHL) 25 28.74%
Nathan Beaulieu, D, Saint John (QMJHL) 2 2.30%
Tyler Biggs, RW, U18 NDTP (USHL) 5 5.75%
Jonas Brodin, D, Farjestad (SEL) 1 1.15%
Rocco Grimaldi, C, USNTP (USHL) 2 2.30%
Dmitrij Jaskin, RW, Slavia Praha (Czech) 2 2.30%
Niklas Jensen, RW, Oshawa (OHL) 1 1.15%
Alexander Khokhlachev, C, Windsor (OHL) 21 24.14%
Joe Morrow, D, Portland (WHL) 0 0%
David Musil, D, Vancouver (WHL) 0 0%
Vladislav Namestinkov, C, London (OHL) 3 3.45%
Matthew Puempel, LW, Peterborough (OHL) 14 16.09%
Ty Rattie, RW, Portland (WHL) 0 0%
Brandon Saad, LW, Saginaw (OHL) 7 8.05%
Couple's councilor for Torts and Brooks 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If McNeill or Schiefele were still on board. At this point in time I wouldn't be sure of the rest. Bartschi looks very good--maybe the guy--as well as Khokhlachev. Other thoughts about Puempel--the most natural goal scorer and Biggs who could potentially be a top 6 power forward--maybe like a Graves. Beaulieu.

Other names I think about are not listed--2 d-men Klefblom and Russo seem really intriguing. That's going a bit off the list but...they both seem to be rising and some of what I've read on Russo remind me of Leetch.
I'd be really surprised to see Russo go in the first round.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I don't know much about Bartschi since most of my knowledge pre-draft comes from you guys and I don't think we've discussed him much.

Going off what I know then, I'd have to say Koko or Puempel.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Noonansgoal

Wow, no Namestnikov supperters? Skilled, offensive center, ppg player in his first season with London. Sick hands, smooth skater, playmaking ability, finishing ability.

He would need to put on some weight at 6'0 and 170. He seems to be underrated a lot because of the russian factor, but the fact of the matter is that the kid speaks perfect english (hardly any accent) and chose the OHL over the KHL when he got drafted by both. He wants to play in NA.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
Wow, no Namestnikov supperters? Skilled, offensive center, ppg player in his first season with London. Sick hands, smooth skater, playmaking ability, finishing ability.

He would need to put on some weight at 6'0 and 170. He seems to be underrated a lot because of the russian factor, but the fact of the matter is that the kid speaks perfect english (hardly any accent) and chose the OHL over the KHL when he got drafted by both. He wants to play in NA.
I support him, I thought the question was who will the Rangers take? IMO they will take Tyler Biggs.
Hoping I"m wrong.

And I would be cool with Namestnikov at #15.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:38 PM
GAGLine

What do you guys think of JT Miller? He's been moving up the rankings. Will he be a player, or is he the second coming of Chris Higgins?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
What do you guys think of JT Miller? He's been moving up the rankings. Will he be a player, or is he the second coming of Chris Higgins?
I honestly don't know, but he has fallen off almost every top 30 I've seen from credible mock drafts. He led USA in points at the U18 worlds and had a great tournement, but his stock has fallen from a midterm ranking of 13th among NA skaters, to 23rd according to central scouting.

The only thing I've heard as a knock is that he doesn't apply himself to 60 min a game and lacks consistency, but that's just insanely broad. I do think that there are better choices at 15 though. Miller has always been a fringe 1st rounder/early-mid second rounder at even his highest ranking.

EDIT: realized that some mocks have him as "Jonathon" instead of "JT" Miller, so at first I though they were separate players, my mistake. Kimmelman actually has him as high as 25th overall taken by TO, but still haven't seen him in any other top 30's.

Old
05-16-2011, 02:28 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be really surprised to see Russo go in the first round.
More likely than not--you're right. Even so--this draft after a dozen players or so it becomes a real crapshoot. Doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot to differentiate quality wise between the next 30 or 40 players. Thinking that a lot of teams in the bottom half of the 1st round--some time next year are going to be thinking--'why didn't we draft this guy who went in the 2nd (or 3rd) instead?'--at least moreso than usual.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
More likely than not--you're right. Even so--this draft after a dozen players or so it becomes a real crapshoot. Doesn't seem to be a hell of a lot to differentiate quality wise between the next 30 or 40 players. Thinking that a lot of teams in the bottom half of the 1st round--some time next year are going to be thinking--'why didn't we draft this guy who went in the 2nd (or 3rd) instead?'--at least moreso than usual.
I think you're right. There's a lot of boom potential amongst that group, and I think we'll see some really good players come out of the mid-first to late 2nd round and beyond. Few players? Probably, but good ones none the less.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:43 PM
RGF

Mario Lucia: A guy you should know
When you're the son of the University of Minnesota's head coach and NCAA recruiters are hot on your tail, the inevitable whispers are going to crop up about potential nepotism, but in Mario Lucia's case, he's every bit the hockey prospect the buzz is indicating and is a legitimate get no matter where he ends up.

The Wayzata H.S. (Trojans) junior left wing who impressed with a limited stint on the U.S. NTDP Under-18 earlier this fall has a live frame (6-2, 185 pounds) and pure skills. He projects as one of those ultra-skilled top-six forwards who are becoming more the norm every year in the NHL.

With long limbs and a reach to match, the younger Lucia has good hands and hockey sense. He's very lanky and lacking in functional strength; as expected he doesn't play much of a physical game, but it is apparently not out of fear or reticence, because he will initiate contact. He just doesn't play much of a power game right now.

Here's what one NHL scout who saw him in action with the U.S. National Team earlier this season had to say about Don Lucia's youngest son:

"He's got real nice size, but it's his skating and hands that are most impressive to me. Unlike a lot of big kids, he's got a quick burst out of the blocks, and that long, smooth stride of his generates a lot of power. He's still a little gangly, but you can see the coordination coming into his body. He can handle the puck well at speed and has a deceptive shot that he gets off pretty quick. He also sees the ice nicely and is a good passer. If he has a big season, then I think you'll see him shoot up the boards like Nick Bjugstad did last year. He's not as big as Bjugstad, but is a little more skilled and polished, in my opinion. He's got a lot of weight to put on and has to get stronger, but this kid has a lot of upside."

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I support him, I thought the question was who will the Rangers take? IMO they will take Tyler Biggs.
Hoping I"m wrong.

And I would be cool with Namestnikov at #15.
Biggs had a terrible U18, and thats caused him to drop in the ranks. He's an aggressive power forward, however, A.) I just see him as redundant with the current rangers lineup/prospect pool, and B.) I don't think he's the BPA at #15.

I think the rangers need to take a chance on some pure skill in this draft, being that picks 13-40 in terms of overall talent take a major plateau. I roll the dice on either of the two russians, or a guy like puempel.

Old
05-16-2011, 03:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUAmS...eature=related

JT Miller, Pittsburgh kid, loves the Pens. Trains at RJ Umberger's place(Columbus at #8?). Strong kid, not sure about his intelligence, still kinda awkward in situations, but thats not uncommon for kids this age. I like that he's going to North Dakota, great program.

I watched the game vs Russia and they did very little to stop him physically, which was disappointing, cant get a read on how he handles the rough areas if there are no examples at all. But I heard his game vs Canada was a good one and was physical.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy3413 View Post
In my opinion he isn't even comparable to Wolski, Saad is very good at battling in the corners and protecting the puck, and plays a solid 2-way game. From what I have seen of his skating he has a very nice long stride, I wouldn't know anything about it getting worse because I can't watch full CHL games, only highlights.

I have read many scouting reports on him and all of them back up what I previously stated. If you want any links to reports I have read on him then I will be happy to share them with you
I have watched many games of his. How do you explain his fall off of production (more like falling off of a cliff) and absolute joke of a post-season performance? How do you explain how his skating actually got worse over the course of the year?

The scouting reports from him early in the year were glowing reports that were more based off of potential and his U18 work. He crapped the bed this year and really should have played himself out of the first round with his second half performance. The only reason he's thought of as a top 30 pick is the past projections people had of him prior to this season.

He is not a player I would look at anywhere near the top 30. Might take a chance on him with our second 2nd round pick, but a sucker will draft him before then based off of his past potential.

He's literally the only guy generally ranked in the top 30 that I would be furious if we took. I really don't care that much who we pick as long as it's not Saad.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

The trouble with nmock drafts like this is that there are no surprises (i.e. Thomas Hickey) in the first 8-10 picks. All chalk. What is says to me is that if the Rangers want one of the top 14 players bad enough, they will probably move up. I'm guessing given the relkative thinness between 12 and 30, that's a real possibility this year. Especially if someone they really like starts to fall.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
RGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I have watched many games of his. How do you explain his fall off of production (more like falling off of a cliff) and absolute joke of a post-season performance? How do you explain how his skating actually got worse over the course of the year?

The scouting reports from him early in the year were glowing reports that were more based off of potential and his U18 work. He crapped the bed this year and really should have played himself out of the first round with his second half performance. The only reason he's thought of as a top 30 pick is the past projections people had of him prior to this season.

He is not a player I would look at anywhere near the top 30. Might take a chance on him with our second 2nd round pick, but a sucker will draft him before then based off of his past potential.

He's literally the only guy generally ranked in the top 30 that I would be furious if we took. I really don't care that much who we pick as long as it's not Saad.

He was injured. I believe he had a groin injury. Good buy low sell high candidate...

I have Zibanejad as my # 1 target to move up and get if we want to trade one or two of our seconds for him ( or possibly a midlevel player crowded out by depth chart if need be).

Saad, Murray, Schiefele, McNeill are others. Most can be had if we stay where we are. If we stay at #15 - and draft one of these players plus a rask or lucia...

other idea is stay at # 15. then use a 2nd + 2nd to draft into back of 1st take Daniel Catenacci - i think he is mike richards reincarnate

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

From most accounts, the groin thing was very minor and shouldn't have impacted his game nearly as much as what actually happened. So it's definitely not just the groin issue, at all. And a bum groin won't make you lose interest in playing the game and play like you don't care.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I voted for Khokhlachev. I know nothing about any of these guys, I just liked his name.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:

I respect your opinions but It would appear you hold some sort of underlying grudge against him as if he's a human cancer, your views of his attitude and skill completely contradicts those of expert scouts, who are also still ranking him in the top 20 in mock drafts, despite what you describe as a disappointing year for him. I can understand that you don't think he is the player we should pick at #15 and I didn't expect many others to agree with me either, but you are making him out to be something he is not.

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I voted for Khokhlachev. I know nothing about any of these guys, I just liked his name.
Funny thing about him is that windsor's play-by-play guy and and their fans have given him the nickname, "Koko," however the proper pronunciation of his name is "ho-la-chev."

"Kh" is pronounced the same as "H" in english, as was told by a russian poster in the prospect forum.

Fun fact for ya!

Old
05-16-2011, 05:09 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I honestly don't know, but he has fallen off almost every top 30 I've seen from credible mock drafts. He led USA in points at the U18 worlds and had a great tournement, but his stock has fallen from a midterm ranking of 13th among NA skaters, to 23rd according to central scouting.

The only thing I've heard as a knock is that he doesn't apply himself to 60 min a game and lacks consistency, but that's just insanely broad. I do think that there are better choices at 15 though. Miller has always been a fringe 1st rounder/early-mid second rounder at even his highest ranking.

EDIT: realized that some mocks have him as "Jonathon" instead of "JT" Miller, so at first I though they were separate players, my mistake. Kimmelman actually has him as high as 25th overall taken by TO, but still haven't seen him in any other top 30's.
ISS's latest top 30 has him at 16:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...llers_may2011/

Quote:
Miller plays the style that many of us expect of an American prospect. He makes the Leclairs, Tkachuks and Guerins proud. He is a driven forward who will do whatever it takes to get the puck into the net. He finds himself in scoring situations on almost every shift. And when he's not trying to score, he's trying to get the puck and his tenacious and physical style can really take a toll on opponents. Miller is an easy player to like and definitely the kind of player you want on your team instead of lining up against it.
In April, they didn't even have him in the top 30:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36721

Why has he moved up so far?

This site had him 30th back in January:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...0-skaters-130/

Quote:
Miller is a very strong, powerful skater and he uses his speed to help him both offensively and defensively. Miller is an extremely hard worker and has the ability to get to loose pucks as well as separate the puck from the carrier seemingly at will. He has strong puck skills to go with his skating and is very dedicated to his end of the ice. The only knock on Miller is that when you see him play and admire his skills, you wonder why he doesn’t produce the numbers to match those skills.
So, is he a future Ryan Callahan, or a future Chris Higgins? I don't watch these kids play, so I'll I've got to go on are scouting reports and stat lines.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
I respect your opinions but It would appear you hold some sort of underlying grudge against him as if he's a human cancer, your views of his attitude and skill completely contradicts those of expert scouts, who are also still ranking him in the top 20 in mock drafts, despite what you describe as a disappointing year for him. I can understand that you don't think he is the player we should pick at #15 and I didn't expect many others to agree with me either, but you are making him out to be something he is not.

May 10, 2011
http://http://bruins2011draftwatch.b...ndon-saad.html

This link is from a bruins blog, but redline used the same scout's quotes in their thoughts on Saad:

Quote:
"I don't know how it happens, but Saad actually looks like he's gotten slower," the scout told B2011DW recently. "He's regressed. I try to give him the benefit of the doubt and all, but that's what I saw this year and it's definitely not a good thing."
Quote:
This is what leads us to the final point on Saad. There is no questioning that he's shown some extremely high upside in the past. The team who thinks he's closer to that player and not the one who appeared to be sleepwalking through the final quarter of the season and playoffs is the one that will spend a first-round pick on Saad, likely a top-20.
I don't think he sees the first round.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I have a grudge against any player who does not try hard (as anyone should). Nothing more, nothing less. I am being realistic on him. You have never seen him play. But go ahead and trust your scouting reports.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
ISS's latest top 30 has him at 16:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...llers_may2011/

In April, they didn't even have him in the top 30:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=36721

Why has he moved up so far?

This site had him 30th back in January:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsr...0-skaters-130/

So, is he a future Ryan Callahan, or a future Chris Higgins? I don't watch these kids play, so I'll I've got to go on are scouting reports and stat lines.

Yes, my mistake, I didn't see ISS's latest top 30 before I posted. I was looking at Central Scouting, where among NA skaters, he has dropped 10 spots.

It's strange though, because Miller wasn't even ranked top 30 by ISS until this May and jumped to 16 overall.

I don't agree with some of their rankings though. Namely, murphy has slipped despite having a teriffic U-18 tourney and has been making some serious overall strides.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I didn't even look at who else was available, voted for Koko so fast.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
I have a grudge against any player who does not try hard (as anyone should). Nothing more, nothing less. I am being realistic on him. You have never seen him play. But go ahead and trust your scouting reports.
I will trust the scouting reports, they are paid professionals and it is their job to provide information for us, therefore I trust that information, and also I have to rely on it as I am unable to watch CHL games and can only go by what I see in highlights, hence the fact I am unaware of his apparent decline in skating ability and other things you mention

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Yes, my mistake, I didn't see ISS's latest top 30 before I posted. I was looking at Central Scouting, where among NA skaters, he has dropped 10 spots.

It's strange though, because Miller wasn't even ranked top 30 by ISS until this May and jumped to 16 overall.

I don't agree with some of their rankings though. Namely, murphy has slipped despite having a teriffic U-18 tourney and has been making some serious overall strides.
A lot of it had to do with Gare bringing up some crap about some off ice issues, from what I remember. Nothing to do with his play. Now that the rumor mongering has ceased, people have wisened up again.