HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
allstar3970

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=518295

Sounds like JJ may really be coming back to the NHL next season....
i read his comments here http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ls_nhl_return/ re: next year and yes, it definitely sounds possible

the article you posted is from early 2010 though

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

The fact that he mentioned New York is surprising. I'm not sure I'd want him back, though. He did a lot for the franchise, and he definitely still has the ability level to play in the NHL... but I'm just leery.

Although, he would make our Top 6 a "complete" Top 6.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
I'm gunna give him the benefit of the doubt and say he bounces back next year.

I'll bet I'm right.
I agree, but the thing is, I see him scoring just fine in the regular season. He will probably be back to 35-40 goals if healthy, and if he plays next to Richards, that could even be as high as 50+. I'm just worried that he won't be able to amp his game up in the playoffs. Then again, hopefully he never fully recovered from the shoulder surgery/injury this year and will be 100% next year, because he did actually find a way to get chances in the playoffs. He just wasn't the lethal threat that he is when he's got his confidence and at close to 100%.

All I'm saying is if I'm Sather, I have to do my due diligence and see what Gaborik's trade value is this offseason. If we could get a Jack Johnson (or any young blue-chip offensive d-man or scorer) I think you really have to consider it. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take two steps forward. I'd be fine going into this season with Callahan and Dubinsky as our two best wingers, as long as we get Richards, and get good value for Gaborik (which would have to be a blue-chip player or combination of players younger than Gabby who are likely on the cusp of breaking out. I see Jack Johnson as the prime example, but there are plenty of others out there. Shea Weber could even become somewhat available. Stranger things have happened.)

With our cap situation, Sather's only choice is to get creative.

I'd be fine with keeping Gaborik, if we're able to add Richards and keep all our RFA's and maybe add some affordable young offense to the blue-line.

But if there's a way to keep the core intact, trade Gaborik to even further improve our ever-growing young core, while still getting Richards, you've got to consider all options. It's about asset management. For example, say we were somehow able to swap Gaborik and a prospect/pick for Jack Johnson and Wayne Simmonds. That not only improves our core, improves our blue-line, but saves us valuable cap-space. This would allow us to sign a guy like Jagr or Gagne for a year until prospects like Kreider or Thomas or Grachev can hopefully jump into the top 6 and make an impact. You want a culture of winning, but you also want to ease the rookies in as comfortably and without unnecessary pressure and unrealistic expectations. Allow them low responsibility so that they can hopefully exceed those goals and start their career on a positive note.

Best case scenario:

Dubinsky Richards Jagr
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Simmonds Anisimov Zuccarello
Grachev Boyle Prust

Staal Johnson
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Girardi
Gilroy
Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

Note: I'm assuming Drury will be bought-out or moved.
I'm also assuming Wolski will be traded at the draft for a 3rd or 4th round pick. He has value. It's not great, but it's not so low that we'd have no other choice but to buy him out. He'll bring back a 4th round pick at worst.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 05-16-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:00 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
It didn't work out, and it is not Sather's 'fault'. I think he did the right thing by just saying no.
There was no bitter taste in my mouth from this, just acknowledgement that the Jagr era was ending.
An era that should have never really ended. Certainly, the Gomez and Drury era's were better right ?

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
i read his comments here http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ls_nhl_return/ re: next year and yes, it definitely sounds possible
I take Jagr's comments with a grain of salt. Jagr always seems to say what people want to here.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

The concept of Jagr/Richards/Gaborik is OUTSTANDING

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
The concept of Jagr/Richards/Gaborik is OUTSTANDING
So was the concept of Jagr with Gomez or Drury.

05-16-2011, 07:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I dont think it'd work either.

Jagr and Gaborik are about as different as it comes regarding style of play

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont think it'd work either.

Jagr and Gaborik are about as different as it comes regarding style of play
I don't understand why that matters. They wouldn't be on the same line. Jagr likes carrying the puck and quarterbacking. He would do that on one line and Richards on another line.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I don't understand why that matters. They wouldn't be on the same line. Jagr likes carrying the puck and quarterbacking. He would do that on one line and Richards on another line.
I thought he meant on the same line.

I wont even get into how your description of Jagr is pretty much the complete opposite of Jaromir Jagr post 1996.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:24 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I thought he meant on the same line.

I wont even get into how your description of Jagr is pretty much the complete opposite of Jaromir Jagr post 1996.
I guess you didn't watch Rangers hockey when Jagr was here. Took a break or something?

Old
05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I guess you didn't watch Rangers hockey when Jagr was here. Took a break or something?
I watched Michael Nylander carry the puck through the nuetral zone for 2 years and hand it to Jagr on a silver platter.

Trying to portay Jagr as a puck carrier makes me wonder what the heck you thought you were seeing.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I watched Michael Nylander carry the puck through the nuetral zone for 2 years and hand it to Jagr on a silver platter.

Trying to portay Jagr as a puck carrier makes me wonder what the heck you thought you were seeing.
Theres a direct quote from the man himself as to how he and Gomez cannot play on the same line because they both want the puck on their stick to make the plays. Seriously dude?

Nylander is getting credit for Jagr's success, seriously?

Old
05-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Hanji

Reports are he's having discussions with SKA St. Petersburg.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:49 AM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

No, it never was.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:17 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
If you asked me, hey, Rangerfan10, who's the one player that definitely wouldn't fit into the system the Rangers are running these days?
My answer would probably be Jaromir Jagr.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:20 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
No, it never was.
There were a lot of people that thought Gomez and Jagr could capture the type of production Gomez and Gionta did together in New Jersey.

Straka-Gomez-Jagr
Shanahan-Drury-Prucha
Avery-Dubinsky-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr
Dawes and Hossa in play
sure looked pretty good on paper, all things considered at the time.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:36 AM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I agree, but the thing is, I see him scoring just fine in the regular season. He will probably be back to 35-40 goals if healthy, and if he plays next to Richards, that could even be as high as 50+. I'm just worried that he won't be able to amp his game up in the playoffs. Then again, hopefully he never fully recovered from the shoulder surgery/injury this year and will be 100% next year, because he did actually find a way to get chances in the playoffs. He just wasn't the lethal threat that he is when he's got his confidence and at close to 100%.

All I'm saying is if I'm Sather, I have to do my due diligence and see what Gaborik's trade value is this offseason. If we could get a Jack Johnson (or any young blue-chip offensive d-man or scorer) I think you really have to consider it. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take two steps forward. I'd be fine going into this season with Callahan and Dubinsky as our two best wingers, as long as we get Richards, and get good value for Gaborik (which would have to be a blue-chip player or combination of players younger than Gabby who are likely on the cusp of breaking out. I see Jack Johnson as the prime example, but there are plenty of others out there. Shea Weber could even become somewhat available. Stranger things have happened.)

With our cap situation, Sather's only choice is to get creative.

I'd be fine with keeping Gaborik, if we're able to add Richards and keep all our RFA's and maybe add some affordable young offense to the blue-line.

But if there's a way to keep the core intact, trade Gaborik to even further improve our ever-growing young core, while still getting Richards, you've got to consider all options. It's about asset management. For example, say we were somehow able to swap Gaborik and a prospect/pick for Jack Johnson and Wayne Simmonds. That not only improves our core, improves our blue-line, but saves us valuable cap-space. This would allow us to sign a guy like Jagr or Gagne for a year until prospects like Kreider or Thomas or Grachev can hopefully jump into the top 6 and make an impact. You want a culture of winning, but you also want to ease the rookies in as comfortably and without unnecessary pressure and unrealistic expectations. Allow them low responsibility so that they can hopefully exceed those goals and start their career on a positive note.

Best case scenario:

Dubinsky Richards Jagr
Kreider Stepan Callahan
Simmonds Anisimov Zuccarello
Grachev Boyle Prust

Staal Johnson
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Girardi
Gilroy
Valentenko

Lundqvist
Biron

Note: I'm assuming Drury will be bought-out or moved.
I'm also assuming Wolski will be traded at the draft for a 3rd or 4th round pick. He has value. It's not great, but it's not so low that we'd have no other choice but to buy him out. He'll bring back a 4th round pick at worst.
#1 Gaborik has a no trade clause

#2 Gaborik and a prospect for Jack Johnson and Wayne Simmonds? No way...that's a terrible deal. Johnson is a good #2 defenseman, but he is not good enough in his own end to be a #1. He can QB a PP, but then so can Richards. Simmonds is a fringe 2nd-3rd line player. Everything he does, Ryan Callahan does better. Also Johnson is a LD not a right, so he can't possibly play with Staal.

Gaborik/Richards/Jagr split between two lines gives you elite options in the top 6. Throw Callahan, Dubinsky, and Stepan in the mix and you're looking at a very good group of forwards, a world class goaltender, and a bunch of young kids on defense that showed poise beyond their years this year (McDonagh, Sauer in particular) and who will only get better.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:38 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
#1 Gaborik has a no trade clause

#2 Gaborik and a prospect for Jack Johnson and Wayne Simmonds? No way...that's a terrible deal. Johnson is a good #2 defenseman, but he is not good enough in his own end to be a #1. He can QB a PP, but then so can Richards. Simmonds is a fringe 2nd-3rd line player. Everything he does, Ryan Callahan does better. Also Johnson is a LD not a right, so he can't possibly play with Staal.

Gaborik/Richards/Jagr split between two lines gives you elite options in the top 6. Throw Callahan, Dubinsky, and Stepan in the mix and you're looking at a very good group of forwards, a world class goaltender, and a bunch of young kids on defense that showed poise beyond their years this year (McDonagh, Sauer in particular) and who will only get better.
Simmonds isn't even that. He's a fringe 3rd-4th liner that people like because of his size.

Old
05-17-2011, 06:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
No, it never was.
I suppose you don't remember all the talk/excitement/speculation about which one of them was going to play with Jagr.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Leetch3

jagr would have to take a paycut, we can't afford him under the cap if we are going to pay him like the pre-khl jagr. if he wants the $$ he can stay in the khl.

and i wouldn't be looking at him to play on the top line, i'd be looking at him as a guy that could play on stepan's wing. he could take step under his wing and help him grow as a player, give us a legit scoring threat on that "3rd" line while also limiting jagr's minutes on most nights since he is 38 and can't be expected to play 24:00/game anymore...

and then on nights when you need a goal or he has some extra jump in his step you can move him up to the top line if needed.

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:04 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Theres a direct quote from the man himself as to how he and Gomez cannot play on the same line because they both want the puck on their stick to make the plays. Seriously dude?

Nylander is getting credit for Jagr's success, seriously?
He shouldn't get all of it. But he deserves some.

Gomez can dish, but he's all north-south with speed where Nylander plays a slower, more methodical game which is better suited for Jagr's brand of Euro hockey.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
He shouldn't get all of it. But he deserves some.

Gomez can dish, but he's all north-south with speed where Nylander plays a slower, more methodical game which is better suited for Jagr's brand of Euro hockey.
Vinny Prospal sounds like a perfect Jagr player.

Prospal-Anisimov-Jagr, for example.

Of course i'd put the chances that he signs here at less than 10%. If he goes to NY it will likely be about the money, unlike Pitt where he might go to win a cup.

05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Of course i'd put the chances that he signs here at less than 10%. If he goes to NY it will likely be about the money, unlike Pitt where he might go to win a cup.
Yea I know a lot of people kid around and laugh at the whole idea that just because someone is Czech, means he'll automatically clique with a fellow Czech or Slovak. But it does make sense when you consider the fact that there are no communication barriers, and they've grown up playing more of a finesse type of offensive game based on puck control with an emphasis on superior puck handling skills and precise passing. They hardly rely on all kinds of checking and playing dump and chase hockey. It's true they also have a bigger rink size.

In N. America you have kids at a young age learning to play the trap as a means of winning a game. It's actually kind of sad that these coaches want to win a pee wee league game that badly. Maybe that's why we don't see guy's like Leetch, Potvin, and (especially) Coffey and Orr put up 100 pts anymore. Leetch did it before the Rangers won the Cup and no one, not even Lidstrom has reached the 100pt mark since.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Prospal seems like a perfect anybody player. In the many, many years I've been watching him play, I don't think I've seen a single situation where he didn't find chemistry with someone.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote