HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Emelin has played in a men's league for, what, 6 years now? The only people scouting him based on his last 3 or 4 games at the WC's are Hab fans who just caught wind of potentially signing him. I think we can all rest assured that Gauthier, Martin, Timmins, et al are well aware of his ups and downs, pros and cons, etc. It's not like the organization stumbled onto him a week ago. If he had a bad tourney this year then that's too bad, but it doesn't erase six years' worth of keeping tabs on the guy.
Exactly. They've done their homework on the guy, and if they're willing to sign him to the one-way contract that he wants, than it means they truly believe he can fit on the team this fall. And for those who said he looked bad at the WJC, I'd take it all with a grain of salt. First of all his playing partner is not as good as anyone who he'd play with in Montreal. Second, I thought overall the Russian team didn't play well in the important games, and it's always that much harder to play well when the team as a whole isn't helping either. But even then, I didn't see a whole lot of holes in his game. I thought he did a decent enough job of protecting the puck in his own zone, and though he got creamed a couple of times, he held his own pretty well, especially when Clutterbuck lined him up for a huge hit--he held his ground.

If you put him with a steady partner like Markov for instance, I think he could flourish. He just needs 30-40 games of adjustment to N.A hockey.

Old
05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Exactly. They've done their homework on the guy, and if they're willing to sign him to the one-way contract that he wants, than it means they truly believe he can fit on the team this fall. And for those who said he looked bad at the WJC, I'd take it all with a grain of salt. First of all his playing partner is not as good as anyone who he'd play with in Montreal. Second, I thought overall the Russian team didn't play well in the important games, and it's always that much harder to play well when the team as a whole isn't helping either. But even then, I didn't see a whole lot of holes in his game. I thought he did a decent enough job of protecting the puck in his own zone, and though he got creamed a couple of times, he held his own pretty well, especially when Clutterbuck lined him up for a huge hit--he held his ground.

If you put him with a steady partner like Markov for instance, I think he could flourish. He just needs 30-40 games of adjustment to N.A hockey.
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..

When I think of our future blueline compared to the Russians one at the next Olympics, I mean, they have 0 chance, they are goona be destroyed in front of their fans... Weber Doughty Boyle Keith Seabrook Pietrangelo Subban Letang or Myers.. Any of them could be their no.1 defenseman.. scrary.. Price or Luongo in the net.. Up front we are way deeper with just about the same powerfire on the top 2 lines..

Old
05-16-2011, 04:58 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Just do it already: either sign him or tell us that we're moving on.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Just do it already: either sign him or tell us that we're moving on.
The report is they are gonna start the contract talks tomorrow. Chill.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:04 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
The report is they are gonna start the contract talks tomorrow. Chill.
We aren't going to win the Stanley Cup in the post season.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
sampollock

AGAIN this saga grows

Old
05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..

When I think of our future blueline compared to the Russians one at the next Olympics, I mean, they have 0 chance, they are goona be destroyed in front of their fans... Weber Doughty Boyle Keith Seabrook Pietrangelo Subban Letang or Myers.. Any of them could be their no.1 defenseman.. scrary.. Price or Luongo in the net.. Up front we are way deeper with just about the same powerfire on the top 2 lines..
As I recall Subban had some rocky games in the first half of the season. Sometimes his erratic play led Martin to sit him out. I doubt that Emelin would play badly for 40 games in the NHL and I doubt that playing in the AHL for half a season would bring him fully up to speed. Perry Pearn is a good coach of Dmen. Perhaps I'm being a bit facetious but Emelin playing like a runaway locomotive might put a key Bruin or two out of commission.

Old
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
As I recall Subban had some rocky games in the first half of the season. Sometimes his erratic play led Martin to sit him out. I doubt that Emelin would play badly for 40 games in the NHL and I doubt that playing in the AHL for half a season would bring him fully up to speed. Perry Pearn is a good coach of Dmen. Perhaps I'm being a bit facetious but Emelin playing like a runaway locomotive might put a key Bruin or two out of commission.
30-40 more games of Spacek and Hamr could also cost us a playoff spot. He doesn't need to play in Hamilton considering our defense

Old
05-16-2011, 06:20 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
30-40 more games of Spacek and Hamr could also cost us a playoff spot. He doesn't need to play in Hamilton considering our defense
I can't believe I agree with you.

Old
05-16-2011, 06:31 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
We've never missed the playoffs with Hamrlik as our #1 or #2 d-man.

There's no doubt he loses steam down the stretch and in the playoffs. But he was incredible for the first 65 games or so.

Old
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

There's no doubt he loses steam down the stretch and in the playoffs. But he was incredible for the first 65 games or so.
Absolutely,and he was a good UFA signing,who was asked to play too many minutes for his age,taking Markov's spot.. I don't think he has 60 games of good hockey unless he's playing less than 20 min./gm.Spacek i think has been a waste from day one,worth half his salary,and should have been benched for Mara in the playoffs

Old
05-16-2011, 07:34 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:

Gimme a break, he's not going to cost us a playoff position, lol. If Markov signs and Price and Subban continue to play they way they have, Emelin will have to suck horribly for our playoff hopes to be in doubt. And even then, we'll have guys who can fill in for him he plays bad. I'm really not worried.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
sampollock

let PG sign him, then come to camp, then see if he makes it, then and then

some are talking next spring, sheesh, we need to sign the dude 1st

Old
05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Still no news about the extent of the injury? I mean, can the Habs send Dr. Mulder or something...

Old
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

Hamrlik was a great soldier for when Markov went down, but time to bring in some new blood.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Gimme a break, he's not going to cost us a playoff position, lol. If Markov signs and Price and Subban continue to play they way they have, Emelin will have to suck horribly for our playoff hopes to be in doubt. And even then, we'll have guys who can fill in for him he plays bad. I'm really not worried.
Markov will be coming back from 2 serious surgury at the same knee, Markov himself will have to find a way to regain his confidence.. People think Markov will jump in and have about the same impact he had before.. I think he will need time to get confortable, so it would be risky to not give him a solid partner to rely on... ala Gorges or Subban..

Old
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

The story never ends !

Old
05-16-2011, 08:49 PM
habsrule22

No word on his injury

Old
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Ginu

Quote:

You need to read his post again. The tournament is a month or so in the last six years that they've been monitoring his progress. Sometimes people need to take a step back and realize that they don't really know everything about the game. You're using the tournament to conclude that Emelin won't succeed in the NHL, when our management has been watching him for much longer.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:10 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Can the title be changed please?
Something like "Canadiens may have interest in Yemelin"

Old
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Can the title be changed please?
Something like "Canadiens may have interest in Yemelin"
They are talking with his agent tomorrow. I think that is pretty good indication that he will sign. Chill out we got all year Actually all summer

Old
05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Absolutely,and he was a good UFA signing,who was asked to play too many minutes for his age,taking Markov's spot.. I don't think he has 60 games of good hockey unless he's playing less than 20 min./gm.Spacek i think has been a waste from day one,worth half his salary,and should have been benched for Mara in the playoffs
Most players will lose effectiveness and get tired if you overplay them. I don't see why any team would sign Hammer to play more than 20min a game.
As for Spacek, I think management screwed up when they decided to ask him to play on the right wing, for the first time in his career, at 36. In this year's PO, the man was coming back from a long injury, it isn't surprising that he was a step behind at 37.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
They are talking with his agent tomorrow. I think that is pretty good indication that he will sign. Chill out we got all year Actually all summer

Old
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Most players will lose effectiveness and get tired if you overplay them. I don't see why any team would sign Hammer to play more than 20min a game.
As for Spacek, I think management screwed up when they decided to ask him to play on the right wing, for the first time in his career, at 36. In this year's PO, the man was coming back from a long injury, it isn't surprising that he was a step behind at 37.
Good post! Spacek gets way too much flack.

Old
05-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Mag1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
No word on his injury
Sprain.

Closed Thread