HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
  #751
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Emelin has played in a men's league for, what, 6 years now? The only people scouting him based on his last 3 or 4 games at the WC's are Hab fans who just caught wind of potentially signing him. I think we can all rest assured that Gauthier, Martin, Timmins, et al are well aware of his ups and downs, pros and cons, etc. It's not like the organization stumbled onto him a week ago. If he had a bad tourney this year then that's too bad, but it doesn't erase six years' worth of keeping tabs on the guy.
Exactly. They've done their homework on the guy, and if they're willing to sign him to the one-way contract that he wants, than it means they truly believe he can fit on the team this fall. And for those who said he looked bad at the WJC, I'd take it all with a grain of salt. First of all his playing partner is not as good as anyone who he'd play with in Montreal. Second, I thought overall the Russian team didn't play well in the important games, and it's always that much harder to play well when the team as a whole isn't helping either. But even then, I didn't see a whole lot of holes in his game. I thought he did a decent enough job of protecting the puck in his own zone, and though he got creamed a couple of times, he held his own pretty well, especially when Clutterbuck lined him up for a huge hit--he held his ground.

If you put him with a steady partner like Markov for instance, I think he could flourish. He just needs 30-40 games of adjustment to N.A hockey.

Markowicz is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
  #752
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Exactly. They've done their homework on the guy, and if they're willing to sign him to the one-way contract that he wants, than it means they truly believe he can fit on the team this fall. And for those who said he looked bad at the WJC, I'd take it all with a grain of salt. First of all his playing partner is not as good as anyone who he'd play with in Montreal. Second, I thought overall the Russian team didn't play well in the important games, and it's always that much harder to play well when the team as a whole isn't helping either. But even then, I didn't see a whole lot of holes in his game. I thought he did a decent enough job of protecting the puck in his own zone, and though he got creamed a couple of times, he held his own pretty well, especially when Clutterbuck lined him up for a huge hit--he held his ground.

If you put him with a steady partner like Markov for instance, I think he could flourish. He just needs 30-40 games of adjustment to N.A hockey.
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..

When I think of our future blueline compared to the Russians one at the next Olympics, I mean, they have 0 chance, they are goona be destroyed in front of their fans... Weber Doughty Boyle Keith Seabrook Pietrangelo Subban Letang or Myers.. Any of them could be their no.1 defenseman.. scrary.. Price or Luongo in the net.. Up front we are way deeper with just about the same powerfire on the top 2 lines..

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 04:58 PM
  #753
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,423
vCash: 500
Just do it already: either sign him or tell us that we're moving on.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 05:00 PM
  #754
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Just do it already: either sign him or tell us that we're moving on.
The report is they are gonna start the contract talks tomorrow. Chill.

TheBuriedHab is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 05:04 PM
  #755
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
The report is they are gonna start the contract talks tomorrow. Chill.
We aren't going to win the Stanley Cup in the post season.

JGRB is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
  #756
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,059
vCash: 500
AGAIN this saga grows

sampollock is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 06:01 PM
  #757
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..

When I think of our future blueline compared to the Russians one at the next Olympics, I mean, they have 0 chance, they are goona be destroyed in front of their fans... Weber Doughty Boyle Keith Seabrook Pietrangelo Subban Letang or Myers.. Any of them could be their no.1 defenseman.. scrary.. Price or Luongo in the net.. Up front we are way deeper with just about the same powerfire on the top 2 lines..
As I recall Subban had some rocky games in the first half of the season. Sometimes his erratic play led Martin to sit him out. I doubt that Emelin would play badly for 40 games in the NHL and I doubt that playing in the AHL for half a season would bring him fully up to speed. Perry Pearn is a good coach of Dmen. Perhaps I'm being a bit facetious but Emelin playing like a runaway locomotive might put a key Bruin or two out of commission.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
  #758
jlgib21*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
As I recall Subban had some rocky games in the first half of the season. Sometimes his erratic play led Martin to sit him out. I doubt that Emelin would play badly for 40 games in the NHL and I doubt that playing in the AHL for half a season would bring him fully up to speed. Perry Pearn is a good coach of Dmen. Perhaps I'm being a bit facetious but Emelin playing like a runaway locomotive might put a key Bruin or two out of commission.
30-40 more games of Spacek and Hamr could also cost us a playoff spot. He doesn't need to play in Hamilton considering our defense

jlgib21* is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 06:20 PM
  #759
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
30-40 more games of Spacek and Hamr could also cost us a playoff spot. He doesn't need to play in Hamilton considering our defense
I can't believe I agree with you.


JGRB is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 06:31 PM
  #760
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
30-40 more games of Spacek and Hamr could also cost us a playoff spot. He doesn't need to play in Hamilton considering our defense
We've never missed the playoffs with Hamrlik as our #1 or #2 d-man.

There's no doubt he loses steam down the stretch and in the playoffs. But he was incredible for the first 65 games or so.

One Man Rock Band is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
  #761
jlgib21*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We've never missed the playoffs with Hamrlik as our #1 or #2 d-man.

There's no doubt he loses steam down the stretch and in the playoffs. But he was incredible for the first 65 games or so.
Absolutely,and he was a good UFA signing,who was asked to play too many minutes for his age,taking Markov's spot.. I don't think he has 60 games of good hockey unless he's playing less than 20 min./gm.Spacek i think has been a waste from day one,worth half his salary,and should have been benched for Mara in the playoffs

jlgib21* is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 07:34 PM
  #762
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..

When I think of our future blueline compared to the Russians one at the next Olympics, I mean, they have 0 chance, they are goona be destroyed in front of their fans... Weber Doughty Boyle Keith Seabrook Pietrangelo Subban Letang or Myers.. Any of them could be their no.1 defenseman.. scrary.. Price or Luongo in the net.. Up front we are way deeper with just about the same powerfire on the top 2 lines..
Gimme a break, he's not going to cost us a playoff position, lol. If Markov signs and Price and Subban continue to play they way they have, Emelin will have to suck horribly for our playoff hopes to be in doubt. And even then, we'll have guys who can fill in for him he plays bad. I'm really not worried.

Markowicz is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:00 PM
  #763
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,059
vCash: 500
let PG sign him, then come to camp, then see if he makes it, then and then

some are talking next spring, sheesh, we need to sign the dude 1st

sampollock is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
  #764
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,106
vCash: 500
Still no news about the extent of the injury? I mean, can the Habs send Dr. Mulder or something...

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
  #765
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We've never missed the playoffs with Hamrlik as our #1 or #2 d-man.

There's no doubt he loses steam down the stretch and in the playoffs. But he was incredible for the first 65 games or so.
Hamrlik was a great soldier for when Markov went down, but time to bring in some new blood.

TheBuriedHab is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
  #766
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Gimme a break, he's not going to cost us a playoff position, lol. If Markov signs and Price and Subban continue to play they way they have, Emelin will have to suck horribly for our playoff hopes to be in doubt. And even then, we'll have guys who can fill in for him he plays bad. I'm really not worried.
Markov will be coming back from 2 serious surgury at the same knee, Markov himself will have to find a way to regain his confidence.. People think Markov will jump in and have about the same impact he had before.. I think he will need time to get confortable, so it would be risky to not give him a solid partner to rely on... ala Gorges or Subban..

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
  #767
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
The story never ends !

Richiebottles is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 08:49 PM
  #768
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,647
vCash: 500
No word on his injury

habsrule22 is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
  #769
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..

When I think of our future blueline compared to the Russians one at the next Olympics, I mean, they have 0 chance, they are goona be destroyed in front of their fans... Weber Doughty Boyle Keith Seabrook Pietrangelo Subban Letang or Myers.. Any of them could be their no.1 defenseman.. scrary.. Price or Luongo in the net.. Up front we are way deeper with just about the same powerfire on the top 2 lines..
You need to read his post again. The tournament is a month or so in the last six years that they've been monitoring his progress. Sometimes people need to take a step back and realize that they don't really know everything about the game. You're using the tournament to conclude that Emelin won't succeed in the NHL, when our management has been watching him for much longer.

Ginu is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:10 PM
  #770
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,029
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Can the title be changed please?
Something like "Canadiens may have interest in Yemelin"

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
  #771
Richiebottles
Big Mike !
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 8,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Can the title be changed please?
Something like "Canadiens may have interest in Yemelin"
They are talking with his agent tomorrow. I think that is pretty good indication that he will sign. Chill out we got all year Actually all summer

Richiebottles is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:31 PM
  #772
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Absolutely,and he was a good UFA signing,who was asked to play too many minutes for his age,taking Markov's spot.. I don't think he has 60 games of good hockey unless he's playing less than 20 min./gm.Spacek i think has been a waste from day one,worth half his salary,and should have been benched for Mara in the playoffs
Most players will lose effectiveness and get tired if you overplay them. I don't see why any team would sign Hammer to play more than 20min a game.
As for Spacek, I think management screwed up when they decided to ask him to play on the right wing, for the first time in his career, at 36. In this year's PO, the man was coming back from a long injury, it isn't surprising that he was a step behind at 37.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
  #773
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
They are talking with his agent tomorrow. I think that is pretty good indication that he will sign. Chill out we got all year Actually all summer

JHabs is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
  #774
HankyZetts
Twi2ted
 
HankyZetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Most players will lose effectiveness and get tired if you overplay them. I don't see why any team would sign Hammer to play more than 20min a game.
As for Spacek, I think management screwed up when they decided to ask him to play on the right wing, for the first time in his career, at 36. In this year's PO, the man was coming back from a long injury, it isn't surprising that he was a step behind at 37.
Good post! Spacek gets way too much flack.

HankyZetts is offline  
Old
05-16-2011, 11:21 PM
  #775
Mag1328
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
No word on his injury
Sprain.

Mag1328 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.