HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers May Bring Back Immonen (Schoenfeld: No interest)

Old
05-16-2011, 07:41 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
This is the point I'm trying to make.
So how does adding Richards preclude competition? It shouldn't.

05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
So how does adding Richards preclude competition? It shouldn't.
No Richards and assuming there is no trade would institute with utmost certainty a top line center by committee this season IMHO.

If that's the case, then the more people trying out for that spot the better.

With Richards there is still obvious competition for spots, less competition however.

But like you said, if they're going to bring Jarkko over they're going to bring him over and the Richards outcome won't change that fact.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Also, I think Immonen's lack of foot speed is a tad overblown. He certainly wasn't a swift skater, but I see people talk about him like he was skating in cement.

If we put him on the wing, it would be less of an issue. Vinny Prospal, with his drastically reduced speed, was still able to be a productive player for us.
I remember always arguing against those who blasted him for his skating. It certainly was overblown. People called him a snail, etc.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:45 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Jarkko dominated in the AHL and he's dominated in the Finish elite league at a young age in both of those leagues. He's now a regular leader in the KHL and always excels in the international tournaments whether it's the WC or the 2010 Olympics where he played extremely well too. I've always been a fan of Jarkko Immonnen and he's had all the skills to succeed in the NHL except the speed and I've said it before and I'll say it again. "If Brian Boyle could have become a better skater, why couldn't Jarkko Immonnen?" The director of Player Personnel and the Assistant GM aren't the same people so player development doesn't follow the same course. Immonnen never got a fair chance so he sought other options. Rangers would be smart to bring him back, I watched him in the WC, he had no problems skating past and around the supposed "speedy" Russian team.

I'd also like to see Evgeny Artyukin brought over. Just so happened to play under Torts before. Wouldn't mind seeing him play 4th line center. The guy has great size and speed and makes highlight real hits...tons of them.....OH BABY!!!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:48 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I remember always arguing against those who blasted him for his skating. It certainly was overblown. People called him a snail, etc.
Yeah, to call him a snail is just lunacy. The guy has below average speed for an NHL player, but I don't think it's anywhere near the level that would preclude him from playing in the NHL in some capacity.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:50 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Why would Immonen sign in the NHL though, especially with us?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
A lot of guys view it as kind of a "best of the best" thing. Playing in the top league in the world. I think Immonen only left for the KHL because he didn't feel like he had much of a future with our team. If that has changed, maybe he'd reconsider?

I have no idea what type of money he's making over there, though I'd imagine it's pretty good.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
azrok22

Quote:
We own his NHL rights still, so if he wants to sign in the NHL, it has to be with us. As to why he would sign in the NHL, first, I think there's a greater degree of stability in this league (how many KHL players have simply had their contracts terminated at this point), and second, if he becomes successful in the NHL (ie: legitimate top-6 forward), there's a greater income potential than if he continues in the KHL (of course, if he remains a fringe NHLer, he's probably going to earn more in the KHL).

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
No Richards and assuming there is no trade would institute with utmost certainty a top line center by committee this season IMHO.

If that's the case, then the more people trying out for that spot the better.

With Richards there is still obvious competition for spots, less competition however.

But like you said, if they're going to bring Jarkko over they're going to bring him over and the Richards outcome won't change that fact.
Might as well turn out the lights on another season is we're watching a riveting Christensen/Immonen battle for the 1C spot.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
A lot of guys view it as kind of a "best of the best" thing. Playing in the top league in the world. I think Immonen only left for the KHL because he didn't feel like he had much of a future with our team. If that has changed, maybe he'd reconsider?

I have no idea what type of money he's making over there, though I'd imagine it's pretty good.
Yeah, that's what I mean. He's doing plenty well in the KHL, getting paid good money, and he won't make nearly that money in the NHL probably.

I think people are getting too hyped over a good WC performance. He's a fine player but is he really good enough to deserve a guaranteed roster spot on an NHL team?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:29 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Might as well turn out the lights on another season is we're watching a riveting Christensen/Immonen battle for the 1C spot.
I said it last off-season we'd be in trouble going into game 1 of the season with EC paired with Gabby.

Needless to say, my thought process has not changed.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Yeah the skating problem was very overblown. Renney and everyone soured on him because of it and to be honest, I didn't see much of a skating problem at all. He obviously wasn't the fastest guy out there but his skating wasn't a detriment to his game IMO. Should have gave him an actual shot when he was here, he played well in the small chance they gave him.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I mean. He's doing plenty well in the KHL, getting paid good money, and he won't make nearly that money in the NHL probably.

I think people are getting too hyped over a good WC performance. He's a fine player but is he really good enough to deserve a guaranteed roster spot on an NHL team?
I don't think anyone is advocating offering him a guaranteed spot on the team. Instead, we can offer him an opportunity to play the NHL if he makes the team out of camp, and the insurance of going back to the KHL rather than play in the AHL if he doesn't make the team.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

He should've been given more of an opportunity while here but I wouldn't bring him back now. Don't see how he'd be a big improvement over Hagelin.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:44 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
He should've been given more of an opportunity while here but I wouldn't bring him back now. Don't see how he'd be a big improvement over Hagelin.
I don't know that it would be Immonen vs. Hagelin. It's still up in the air whether either Prospal or Fedotenko will be back, and it's also possible that Avery and/or Christensen could be gone.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
I don't know that it would be Immonen vs. Hagelin. It's still up in the air whether either Prospal or Fedotenko will be back, and it's also possible that Avery and/or Christensen could be gone.
I'm just saying that we could probably replicate Immonen's production internally. He won't sign here to play on the 4th line, so I don't think what we do with Avery/Christensen would effect bringing in Jarkko.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:46 PM
John Torturella

Dont you guys remember? Jarkko lacks the foot speed to play in the NHL.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:48 PM
NYR Viper

The guy is 28. I highly doubt he sets foot back in NA.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
http://www.ctwhale.com/default.asp?c...=59&objId=1383

Not sure where he'd fit in our lineup (and he certainly shouldn't make us not pursue Richards) but I think Immonen could be an asset, even with his slow foot speed.
Christensen replacement ill live with that

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:28 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

I see the possible Do over of jarkko as a clear precursor to the inevitable triumphant return of one

Enver lisin

Well maybe not...

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I'm just saying that we could probably replicate Immonen's production internally. He won't sign here to play on the 4th line, so I don't think what we do with Avery/Christensen would effect bringing in Jarkko.
Well, I don't think he'll sign here period. But if he did, and was given a spot on the fourth line, I don't think he'd cause a fuss over it.

We might be able to replace Immonen's production, we might not. We don't even know what his production would be. However, his eight points are eight more than Hagelin, Grachev, Kreider, etc. No one can say for sure what they'll bring.

If he'd come to camp and provide more competition, I'd be all for bringing him over. If he wows, and earned a spot, that would be great. But again, I seriously doubt it would happen.

Old
05-16-2011, 09:52 PM
free0717

I really dont see a place for him. Maybe we can trade him for a 6th or 7th rd pick in the draft.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:56 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

He's having success where he is. I'm not seeing any reason to come back here at 29 yrs of age.

His game doesn't seem to fit the smaller rinks with bigger, faster players.

And not sure torts would take to him

Having said all that, hes looked outstanding playing in the tournament. He was clearly the best Finn player.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Jarkko dominated in the AHL and he's dominated in the Finish elite league at a young age in both of those leagues. He's now a regular leader in the KHL and always excels in the international tournaments whether it's the WC or the 2010 Olympics where he played extremely well too. I've always been a fan of Jarkko Immonnen and he's had all the skills to succeed in the NHL except the speed and I've said it before and I'll say it again. "If Brian Boyle could have become a better skater, why couldn't Jarkko Immonnen?" The director of Player Personnel and the Assistant GM aren't the same people so player development doesn't follow the same course. Immonnen never got a fair chance so he sought other options. Rangers would be smart to bring him back, I watched him in the WC, he had no problems skating past and around the supposed "speedy" Russian team.

I'd also like to see Evgeny Artyukin brought over. Just so happened to play under Torts before. Wouldn't mind seeing him play 4th line center. The guy has great size and speed and makes highlight real hits...tons of them.....OH BABY!!!!!
Not against the idea of Immonen. Just more competition for training camp.
Not agaisnt the idea of Artyukin. Love the idea of a big body that plays a physical game.

But...Not every player can do what Brian Boyle did. I give him major props for accepting what was wrong with his game(Not every player can take constructive critism) and then working to get past his shortcomings as a player. But...to also remind himself that he HAS to be...HAS to be more physical on the nightly basis. I remember seeing that or hearing it during broadcasts from Sam and Joe. I think at the end of the season Boyle led the team in hits. Not positive and too lazy to look but I believe he did. So at the end of last season most of the posters here were saying...What good is a 6'7 guy if he isn't going to use his to punish the opposition? Not only did he play far more physical, but he has a career year due to the extra steps he took with his skating.

To me Jarkko Immonen was a more skilled player than Boyle may ever be. But...I question if he has that same drive that Boyle does. That drive that made him take the steps to get better and remind himself everyday that he has to play a different game than he has in the past.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Technically, putting Immonen on the team is internal...

... but I see your point.

I see nothing bad about bringing him in for camp and letting him earn a spot. Like others have said... if not, go back to the KHL. Both sides make out just fine.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote