HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin close to signing 1-year deal with Habs

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2011, 11:39 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
Sprain.
thanks MAG.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
05-17-2011, 03:26 AM
Grant McCagg

Don't be buying your Emelin jerseys just yet. As Trevor Timmins told me last night when I asked if Emelin is coming over.... "I'll believe it when he's in North America."

the team thought he was coming over a couple of years ago too when he changed his mind, so until he's signed on the dotted line and booked his flight no one is assuming anything in the organization.

As for Diaz, Trevor really liked what he saw from him when he scouted him in February. Says he has incredible gap control and is a good skater.

Old
05-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Don't be buying your Emelin jerseys just yet. As Trevor Timmins told me last night when I asked if Emelin is coming over.... "I'll believe it when he's in North America."

the team thought he was coming over a couple of years ago too when he changed his mind, so until he's signed on the dotted line and booked his flight no one is assuming anything in the organization.

As for Diaz, Trevor really liked what he saw from him when he scouted him in February. Says he has incredible gap control and is a good skater.
You're one of his relatives ?

Old
05-17-2011, 07:19 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..

When I think of our future blueline compared to the Russians one at the next Olympics, I mean, they have 0 chance, they are goona be destroyed in front of their fans... Weber Doughty Boyle Keith Seabrook Pietrangelo Subban Letang or Myers.. Any of them could be their no.1 defenseman.. scrary.. Price or Luongo in the net.. Up front we are way deeper with just about the same powerfire on the top 2 lines..
Yeah okay, so lets just play him as a #7 and never allow him to develop at all like we do with all of our prospects. I'd much rather have 5 first round exits in a row rather than letting our prospects learn and develop for one season and narrowly miss it, then go on to actually win something for the next 4 years. (Make it far, whatever)

You think it's working? That we'll somehow magically have superstars and stars out of guys like Pouliot and Emelin if we don't give them ice time? I don't think he'd be as effective playing limited minutes nor would he learn the north american game really efficiently either.

Old
05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:

I think that's the first Timmins quote we've gotten since Gauthier took over! Thanks Grant.

I won't touch on the Emelin issue because I think everyone feels that way.

Regarding Diaz, the gap control comment is HUGE to me. Last year our D depended on our speedy forwards to backcheck like animals so that they could maintain a reasonable gap without fearing to be burned to the outside. Oftentimes guys like Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek, Sopel and Mara would be in our slot already by the time the opposition attacked the blueline with speed. That's what happens when you have slow D. If Diaz does in fact have good gap control this will be huge for us.

Old
05-17-2011, 07:48 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
30-40 games playing with Markov could cost us a playoffs spot to start with.. Second, you are right saying Russians didnt playe very well, especially on D where I doubt any of them could crack a NHL line-up.. So if Emelin cant stand out a bit from that pretty average D squad, well it doesnt look good.. Personally I saw him struggling with his reading of the play and positionning, the kid needs work but isnt willing to improve in the AHL, so just too bad..
That has to be top-3 one of the worst analysis i have ever read about a prospect. How the heck do you see his game not translating to the NHL because of a 6 game tournament, in which you pointed out, that D was awful to begin with. I'm certain that defensmens like Volchenkov or even Komisarek who shined with Markov could not elevate their game in that tournament simply because they have no support, players that helps them utilise their attributes. Emelin finished 2nd in D scoring on his team in the KHL and far ahead the player with the most penaltie minutes proving that he does bring the physical element of the game over a long season. Reports say that if everything goes well could be a top-4 D by the end of the season and that's what I stick too.

Old
05-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Markov will be coming back from 2 serious surgury at the same knee, Markov himself will have to find a way to regain his confidence.. People think Markov will jump in and have about the same impact he had before.. I think he will need time to get confortable, so it would be risky to not give him a solid partner to rely on... ala Gorges or Subban..
Gorges, who also has a suspect knee?

Old
05-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Double XX L

Quote:

I gotta say... this answer by TT does not make me happy at all. In fact it sort of infuriates me (definately not your fault Mr.Mcagg ), due to the fact that we have too many Diaz' and not enough Emelin's.

Emelin, with his physicality is >> over just about anything else I heard of the hbs chasing to date. He's #1 priority, due to the fact that it is anticipated that he can help as early as next year, and provides a piece of the game we dont have covered really well...

But it really drives me nuts, that I was just mentioning as to why management needs to be rotated, the scouting department chases ONLY guys who can skate. So therefore, ANYONE

who plays a game with size/physicality is off of Timmins radar, and it's a HUGE fail that we havent gotten ONE big physical player who can skate since O'B and Komisarek... Even those guys were missing the edge needed to be a nasty player. They could hit well, but nastiness has been missing in Montreal for a LONG TIME... and from this message he gave Mr. Mcagg, TT and crew are more excited for Diaz than Emelin!

Emelin cements our LD crew until Tinordi will be ready to step in.

Boston shows us yet again, that we need to get more physical, just as Philly did the year before.
& thse guys are going to ignore the issue, and pick up good skaters, who are soft as creampuffs.

We have WAY too many guys who can play the entire game with eggs strapped to their shoulders, and at the end of the day, the eggs would still be intact.

Note to the staff of the habs: EMELIN is exciting!! I could care less about a 25 year old RHD who is 5'11 180 pds. who does NOT play physical whatsoever. Our guys have been knocked out twice in two years, by bigger more physical clubs, who rode our little guys in the boards, and intimidated them to the point where they underwhelm us with performance.
It is about time, that we at least START making it a hard time to walk in to Montreal to play the habs. Too many times last year, we looked like going for a sunday skate.

Emelin is a start to that. Diaz is not.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:16 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
I gotta say... this answer by TT does not make me happy at all. In fact it sort of infuriates me (definately not your fault Mr.Mcagg ), due to the fact that we have too many Diaz' and not enough Emelin's.

Emelin, with his physicality is >> over just about anything else I heard of the hbs chasing to date. He's #1 priority, due to the fact that it is anticipated that he can help as early as next year, and provides a piece of the game we dont have covered really well...

But it really drives me nuts, that I was just mentioning as to why management needs to be rotated, the scouting department chases ONLY guys who can skate. So therefore, ANYONE

who plays a game with size/physicality is off of Timmins radar, and it's a HUGE fail that we havent gotten ONE big physical player who can skate since O'B and Komisarek... Even those guys were missing the edge needed to be a nasty player. They could hit well, but nastiness has been missing in Montreal for a LONG TIME... and from this message he gave Mr. Mcagg, TT and crew are more excited for Diaz than Emelin!

Boston shows us yet again, that we need to get more physical, just as Philly did the year before.
& thse guys are going to ignore the issue, and pick up good skaters, who are soft as creampuffs.

We have WAY too many guys who can play the entire game with eggs strapped to their shoulders, and at the end of the day, the eggs would still be intact.

Note to the staff of the habs: EMELIN is exciting!! I could care less about a 25 year old RHD who is 5'11 180 pds. who does NOT play physical whatsoever. Our guys have been knocked out twice in two years, by bigger more physical clubs, who rode our little guys in the boards, and intimidated them to the point where they underwhelm us with performance.
It is about time, that we at least START making it a hard time to walk in to Montreal to play the habs. Too many times last year, we looked like going for a sunday skate.

How does that in any way say that they are not going hard after Emelin or TT does not want him? He just has his doubts that he signs because they thought he was coming over for sure before and he stayed in russia. I'm sure Emelin is a bigger priority than Diaz, they were just not aloud to negotiate with him until russia was out of the tournament. Theres a difference between wanting somebody and having doubts that they will sign. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, it really baffles me.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:17 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
You're one of his relatives ?
He's a scout and friend of TT.

PS: Let's not exaggerate the situation just yet. We didn't lose against Boston due to physicality, we lost to Boston because we went up 2-0 and didn't capitalize, then in 7th game OT they did capitalize, by using talent none the less.

It wasn't a big open ice hit that led to a turn over or something. Let's be real here for a second. I know we do need more physical players but it isn't why we lost against Boston. We needed more talent up front or at least more offensive depth in general.

Last edited by neofury*: 05-17-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old
05-17-2011, 08:18 AM
domdo345

Quote:

i think you saw what you wanted to see in the playoffs. In both years the difference was that the speedy fowards of the other teams gave us trouble. The krejci line didn't do any damage while the bergeron and kelly line killed our slow D with their speed. Same things happened with philly.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdo345 View Post
i think you saw what you wanted to see in the playoffs. In both years the difference was that the speedy fowards of the other teams gave us trouble. The krejci line didn't do any damage while the bergeron and kelly line killed our slow D with their speed. Same things happened with philly.
I agree, Boston beating us had nothing to do with size or physicality. Thought Chara's cheap hit on Pacioretty played a part in our demise.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Double XX L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
How does that in any way say that they are not going hard after Emelin or TT does not want him? He just has his doubts that he signs because they thought he was coming over for sure before and he stayed in russia. I'm sure Emelin is a bigger priority than Diaz, they were just not aloud to negotiate with him until russia was out of the tournament. Theres a difference between wanting somebody and having doubts that they will sign. I have no idea how you came to that conclusion, it really baffles me.
It baffles me that TT yet again sign a non-physical skilled undersized player, if this is NOT confirmed!

What does Diaz bring to the table that we DONT HAVE?
I can tell you what Emelin brings without even having to think about it (physicality) if you cant guarantee/confirm that he will use his hand and sign it over, based on how we exited the season... WHY is management STILL chasing pieces of fluff?

I would prefer to hear that we signed another tough guy IN CASE a situation like the one TT says does come out...

But I will say,
IF it does come out, and Emelin resigns in the KHL, we just wasted yet another roster spot on an undersized skilled defenceman (FROM Switzerland nonetheless! They're more known for their SOFT players than anything physical at all!)
Domenichelli plays there, Dube went there, Streit is not tough, and was swiss cheese defensively (which led to his being not resigned)
Weber plays forward because he isnt strong enough in the backend to handle the Lucic's.

But lets add another few more of THOSE guys

It goes back to this club grabbing 2 of everything they like. Only problem is it doesnt work!

Old
05-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Double XX L

Quote:
No I saw a team struggling to get any goals on a physical d crew that Boston ices.
I also saw a lot of little guys on OUR team not willing to pay the price.
I also saw some shoddy passing from our team. So bad, it looked like watching Boston's first 2 games.

Bergeron might have had a good series, but it was Horton who sent us home.

It was Chara coming back on the ice in game #4, and slowly getting better from that point... It was their physical guys consistently challenging our guys, and our team did NOTHING about it.

We flaked out. It wasnt taalent thaat caused that. No way, cause talent wise, we IMO are more than them.

Say what you will about the beaners, they have averaged 2 ES goals a game in these playoffs while we averaged 0.67.

PP's are improtant, NOT nearly as important as being able to keep up with the opposition 5/5 which we clearly cannot. Because of our soft play.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:31 AM
domdo345

Yet the habs played their best when weber was finaly put at a D spot instead of sopel in the last 10 minutes and overtime of game 7. It was more of a inexperience vs experience thing of Martin.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Andy

Anxious to see if anything happens today.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Double XX L

Quote:
Yet the habs played their best when weber was finaly put at a D spot instead of sopel in the last 10 minutes and overtime of game 7. It was more of a inexperience vs experience thing of Martin.
Did they win?
The RESULT isnt there.

Theirs is!

Old
05-17-2011, 08:34 AM
domdo345

Quote:
No I saw a team struggling to get any goals on a physical d crew that Boston ices.
I also saw some shoddy passing from our team. So bad, it looked like watching Boston's first 2 games.

It was Chara coming back on the ice in game #4, and slowly getting better from that point... It was their physical guys consistently challenging our guys, and our team did NOTHING about it.

We flaked out. It wasnt taalent thaat caused that. No way, cause talent wise, we IMO are more than them.
Horton would've had no chance to send us home without the play of the 2 other lines. And we didnt have offense because our D were always pined down our zone by their speedy fowards. The first pass never was on the tape when the bruins applied pressure. Now in the other hand, we surely didnt put enought pressure on their fragile d-core but thats something Martin will have to work on.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Double XX L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Anxious to see if anything happens today.
Me too... I've wanted Emelin here (feels like) forever

Old
05-17-2011, 08:36 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
It baffles me that TT yet again sign a non-physical skilled undersized player, if this is NOT confirmed!

What does Diaz bring to the table that we DONT HAVE?
I can tell you what Emelin brings without even having to think about it (physicality) if you cant guarantee/confirm that he will use his hand and sign it over, based on how we exited the season... WHY is management STILL chasing pieces of fluff?

I would prefer to hear that we signed another tough guy IN CASE a situation like the one TT says does come out...

But I will say,
IF it does come out, and Emelin resigns in the KHL, we just wasted yet another roster spot on an undersized skilled defenceman (FROM Switzerland nonetheless! They're more known for their SOFT players than anything physical at all!)
Domenichelli plays there, Dube went there, Streit is not tough, and was swiss cheese defensively (which led to his being not resigned)
Weber plays forward because he isnt strong enough in the backend to handle the Lucic's.

But lets add another few more of THOSE guys

It goes back to this club grabbing 2 of everything they like. Only problem is it doesnt work!
Well for one I've heard reports that hes better than Yannick Weber. He could provide as a solid upgrade over him or spacek in a year. Lots of Nhl teams were scouting him and we beat out quite a few for his services.

Point 2 is he is a good all around dman at 25 years old, and we get him for nothing. He will probably develop in hamilton for most of the year so hes not taking up a roster spot or cap room unless he's called up.

Point 3 is that if you missed ALL OF THIS SEASON, you would see that injuries to the defense can and Will happen. So having more depth in Hamilton incase of injuries is awesome.

Like I said Before, CHILL the **** out. We aren't starting negotiations with him until today. People get all riled up over a pretty good signing and don't even know if Emelin is coming over yet. Just everyone take a deep breath. If we don't get him, then theres always ufa.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:39 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Did they win?
The RESULT isnt there.

Theirs is!
It is easy to talk like that when in reality they lost in overtime 3 times in the series. And yet again it seemed like our bigger D (hamrlik, gill, sopel, mara) weere out of gas by the end of these games. I have no problem bringing Emelin over here, but he has to put the intensity and skate much better than what we saw in the WC. Again i need to see more of him before making anymore jugement.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
1.who plays a game with size/physicality is off of Timmins radar, and it's a HUGE fail that we havent gotten ONE big physical player who can skate since O'B and Komisarek... Even those guys were missing the edge needed to be a nasty player. They could hit well, but nastiness has been missing in Montreal for a LONG TIME... and from this message he gave Mr. Mcagg, TT and crew are more excited for Diaz than Emelin!

2.Note to the staff of the habs: EMELIN is exciting!! I could care less about a 25 year old RHD who is 5'11 180 pds. who does NOT play physical whatsoever. Our guys have been knocked out twice in two years, by bigger more physical clubs, who rode our little guys in the boards, and intimidated them to the point where they underwhelm us with performance.

1. Try to have 1 opinion, do we only draft players that can skate or did we not trade up in order to get big nasty 6'7 Tinordi?

2. Diaz IS exciting. His 39 points last season put him at the top of the league in D scoring in the Swiss elite league. He could be PK's qb for A LOT of years, and like it's been said a million times, it didn't cost us a dime to get him. I don't know how you can't be excited of a player who's projected to be " The best Swiss player ever ". I

I want toughness, probably more then you do, but that doesn't mean we can't get better in other areas of the game as well. In a coupe of years the team will have Conboy, Schultz, White, Tinordi, Eller, Emelin and probably more tough players that play the game, for now i think 1 or 2 FA's (Konopka, Rupp, Vandermeer, SOB, etc.) could do the job.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Maxpac

Quote:

Say what you will about the beaners, they have averaged 2 ES goals a game in these playoffs while we averaged 0.67.

PP's are improtant, NOT nearly as important as being able to keep up with the opposition 5/5 which we clearly cannot. Because of our soft play
This part i completely agree with. The second we face a team that plays a good north-south crash the net style we're doomed.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
This part i completely agree with. The second we face a team that plays a good north-south crash the net style we're doomed.
I just want more mobility and speed on the back end . Gill, Spacek, Sopel and Hamrlik used to get destroyed on the outside. I feel like upgrading that would improve the team 10 fold

Old
05-17-2011, 08:51 AM
neofury*

Anyone who tries to claim we have more talent than the Bruins, especially with the line-up we had, is just a blatant homer.

Sorry not trying to be mean in the slightest but it's true.

Closed Thread