HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

General Fitness Thread #3

Old
05-16-2011, 11:28 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
My gym is similar, I use the squat rack for basically my entire routine. Usually 45mins or so, and Saturday was the first time someone had ever asked me if I was almost finished. He even commented that he was surprised to see someone with proper squatting technique, kinda ties into what KrissE was saying before about people not knowing form.

I've seen many do them properly, but most people tend to avoid them. Obviously I agree with kriss about proper form being a must, I would say the same for most compound exercises. When I advise others to do them, I'm not telling them to go out and do them without research and learning technique first. Everyone should research these lifts before doing them and study their own lifts.
I agree with that, but not too many people study their lifts. Heck, for something as simple as bench pressing, I'd say 80% do it wrong (at my gym).
But what I was more against is weight squatting. Anybody that asks me to include backsquats in their routine, I demand to see their form in an air squat before adding a bar on their shoulders.
I think there is a step process in order to start heavy squatting, the first is an air squat, the second is the front squat and the last is the overhead squat. Once the air squat is adequate enough and you understand the basic positioning of the squat, then add weight.

I'm just a very ''safety first'' type of guy when it comes to training because I've injured myself in the past. That's the main reason why I insist on proper technique.
There's plenty of people that are willing to learn by themselves, but it's not the majority, not according to my own personal experience with clients.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:40 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
You could have many things. Don't try and diagnose yourself over the internet, everything is quite often the worse case scenario. Many people have themselves believing what's wrong with them is way worse. If you have an injury as you do that hasn't healed there is nothing we can tell you that will replace the advice of your doctor. Go get it checked, physio isn't so bad, it might sound like over kill, but it helps and it will likely help you.

I'm pretty sure I have a sports hernia ...

http://www.sportsherniasouth.com/

Quote:

Do you have sports hernia? Sports hernia symptoms…

What were you doing when you were injured? Sports hernias usually occur during aggressive turning and twisting while playing sports like football, hockey, soccer, tennis, track or running.
Sports hernia results in sudden groin pain in the low abdomen and upper inner leg.
The groin pain improves with rest and anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen, but often recurs when you resume playing your sport.
Often the leg pain resolves but the athlete is left with persistent discomfort in the low abdominal muscles at the pelvis.
Sports hernia occurs in women and men. In men the pain can sometimes cause the testicles to ache.
If you think you may have sports hernia, read how the doctor diagnoses sports hernia.
Read my initial post -- this is my situation to the T.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 01:47 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I'm pretty sure I have a sports hernia ...

http://www.sportsherniasouth.com/

Read my initial post -- this is my situation to the T.
I haven't said it couldn't be, but ever been sick with the flu? Type in your symptoms and they'll likely match that of someone with HIV, there is no way to know for sure without seeing a DR. Many injuries are similar in many aspects/symptoms. You may have a sports hernia or you may not, you'll never know by reading the internet. Most internet sites have information on the worst case scenarios.

If you don't want to get it checked out, don't.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 02:05 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
I haven't said it couldn't be, but ever been sick with the flu? Type in your symptoms and they'll likely match that of someone with HIV, there is no way to know for sure without seeing a DR. Many injuries are similar in many aspects/symptoms. You may have a sports hernia or you may not, you'll never know by reading the internet. Most internet sites have information on the worst case scenarios.

If you don't want to get it checked out, don't.
No I agree I should see a doc.

The only problem is that my (old) family doctor probably has no experience in sports hernias (if it is in fact).Few doctors are experienced in fact...

So the issue (if it is a sports hernia) becomes a challenge of finding a qualified doctor to treat it

edit: not just treat it, but diagnose it

Last edited by coolasprICE: 05-16-2011 at 02:15 PM.
coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:26 PM
ClasslessGuy

Need help on a training program..

gym is free at my university and I have an hour and a half to spend between work and class so i need a basic training.

I'm looking for a super basic overall training i could do 3-4 times a weeks without changing everyday (around 60 min). I wan't to run for a least 20min so let's say 40 min of exercises.

So what should i do?
-bench press 3 x ?
-leg press
-biceps curl
- sit ups

? I need help please

It's more for weight loss and not really for mass gain.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

I know you said weight loss but try Starting Strength:

it involves 2 workouts

Workout A:
Squats
Benchpress
Deadlift

Workout B:
Squat
Military Press
Power Clean/Bent Over Rows/Chinups

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
No I agree I should see a doc.

The only problem is that my (old) family doctor probably has no experience in sports hernias (if it is in fact).Few doctors are experienced in fact...

So the issue (if it is a sports hernia) becomes a challenge of finding a qualified doctor to treat it

edit: not just treat it, but diagnose it

Your experience is nill though, which is less than 100% of doctors, go to another doctor. Google can't replace a mechanic, much less vast clinical experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I know you said weight loss but try Starting Strength:

it involves 2 workouts

Workout A:
Squats
Benchpress
Deadlift

Workout B:
Squat
Military Press
Power Clean/Bent Over Rows/Chinups
Starting strength isn't Power Clean/Bent over Rows/Chin Ups. It's Power Clean and that's it. (and I'll add it's also eating 4 big meals a day + drinking a gallon of milk a day if you're skinny).

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
Your experience is nill though, which is less than 100% of doctors, go to another doctor. Google can't replace a mechanic, much less vast clinical experience.

Starting strength isn't Power Clean/Bent over Rows/Chin Ups. It's Power Clean and that's it. (and I'll add it's also eating 4 big meals a day + drinking a gallon of milk a day if you're skinny).
The diet portion of SS is quite bad, but I agree with the rest.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well, it doesn't really matter what you agree with. If you check the guys from 70sbig, they're big, they have good technique and they're strong. That is the only thing Rippetoe does and he does it better than anyone posting here.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Well, it doesn't really matter what you agree with. If you check the guys from 70sbig, they're big, they have good technique and they're strong. That is the only thing Rippetoe does and he does it better than anyone posting here.
Dude, you have to relax a little bit.

If your goal is to look like a fat and bloated powerlifter, then go ahead, eat as much as you can and drink your gallon of milk/day. I don't consider that optimal nutrition at all and that's my opinion from my own personal opinion. If you think it's the bible, then good for you man.

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-16-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old
05-16-2011, 11:20 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
Where can you get Rippetoe's books in the Montreal area?

Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Dude, you have to relax a little bit.

If your goal is to look like a fat and bloated powerlifter, then go ahead, eat as much as you can and drink your gallon of milk/day. I don't consider that optimal nutrition at all and that's my opinion from my own personal opinion. If you think it's the bible, then good for you man.
I don't care much for the book. But it's objectives are clear and easy: learn proper technique, understand linear progression, get big, get strong. If you want the program to work, then you have to follow all of it, and that includes the diet part (or else, how are you going to add 200-250lbs to your raw squat in a few months?). Until you find a better way to get as strong as quickly, which will never happen, then there's nothing to criticize about the book, it does exactly what it says it will and makes no outlandish claims. By the way, this is what most powerlifters look like:

Most of us naturals or under 5'10 compete under 220 i.e. we don't carry a lot of bodyfat, but a lot more dense and functional muscle than your average person or athlete. For lightweights, it makes no sense to be fat or bloated, it's completely counterproductive.

And again, starting strenght is not a powerlifting book and never will be. It's a book about strength training which can be the basis for gymnastics, weightlifting, powerlifting, football, hockey or whatever you want to do after you finish the program. You don't have to do the program at any point in your lifting career. If you want to be a powerlifter, there are better beginner programs for pound for pound strength. But if you want to gain a lot of weight (with a bunch of it lean mass) and a ******** of strength really quickly, then outside of steroids this is your best bet.

Smoke, buy it over the net. It's a really good novice book, but you'll grow past it in less than a year.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 05-16-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old
05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Smoke Monster

Quote:
I don't care much for the book. But it's objectives are clear and easy: learn proper technique, understand linear progression, get big, get strong. If you want the program to work, then you have to follow all of it, and that includes the diet part (or else, how are you going to add 200-250lbs to your raw squat in a few months?). Until you find a better way to get as strong as quickly, which will never happen, then there's nothing to criticize about the book, it does exactly what it says it will and makes no outlandish claims. By the way, this is what most powerlifters look like:

Most of us naturals or under 5'10 compete under 220 i.e. we don't carry a lot of bodyfat, but a lot more dense and functional muscle than your average person or athlete.

And again, starting strenght is not a powerlifting book and never will be. It's a book about strength training which can be the basis for gymnastics, weightlifting, powerlifting, football, hockey or whatever you want to do after you finish the program.

Smoke, buy it over the net. It's a really good novice book, but you'll grow past it in less than a year.
Thanks Nilan. I did find the sites amazon and strengthtraining selling the book. The Quebec library, university libraries, and Chapters didn't have it. I thought maybe there might be a bookstore which specializes in weightlifting books. I'll try to order it from Chapters.

Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-17-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:40 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
lol, about nutrition, it's not like if you agree with anything else than your own very strict ideas.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
lol, about nutrition, it's not like if you agree with anything else than your own very strict ideas.
Well that just shows how little you know about me. So before claiming certain things only because you make your OWN interpretations as to what I say (or how I say it), maybe you should bring your guard down and realize I don't think I'm some type of fitness messiah or just because I disagree, it means I'm right or wrong.

I think drinking 2400 calories from milk only per day, on top of eating as much as you want, isn't healthy. If you disagree, then great, good for you, enjoy stuffing yourself. But we are in a FITNESS thread, and anything FITNESS related goes hand in hand with HEALTH. So I'm aloud to express myself and say that I don't agree with it. If that's too hard for you to handle, then, really, why even both coming here.
Did I say the SS diet wouldn't make people big??..Did I say it wouldn't make people stronger?
No, I said it's crap, because I don't consider it healthy.

Kareem, have you followed SS exactly as supposed, including the nutrition side of it? I know a handful of them that did and not one single person made their squat jump up 200-250lbs. Meanwhile, I have a friend that's eating normally, and limiting himself to QUALITY foods (no, that does not include starchy food), maintained his weight, weighting in at 178lbs, 5'11, that can Snatch balance 255lbs and can OHS just a little over 300lbs. A guy that just does Crossfit, and doesn't focus solely on heavy lifting.

I'm not in agreement with the diet, never said a thing about the programing or his techniques (I know he gets criticized for his clean technique as he keeps the hips high exactly like a deadlift starting position, while others bring them down a bit more).
If you want to get big in a month or two, then go right ahead, stuff yourself silly. Doesn't make it healthy and that's all I was hinting at.

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-17-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
Well that just shows how little you know about me. So before claiming certain things only because you make your OWN interpretations as to what I say (or how I say it), maybe you should bring your guard down and realize I don't think I'm some type of fitness messiah or just because I disagree, it means I'm right or wrong.

I think drinking 2400 calories from milk only per day, on top of eating as much as you want, isn't healthy. If you disagree, then great, good for you, enjoy stuffing yourself. But we are in a FITNESS thread, and anything FITNESS related goes hand in hand with HEALTH. So I'm aloud to express myself and say that I don't agree with it. If that's too hard for you to handle, then, really, why even both coming here.
Did I say the SS diet wouldn't make people big??..Did I say it wouldn't make people stronger?

Kareem, have you followed SS exactly as supposed, including the nutrition side of it? I know a handful of them that did and not one single person made their squat jump up 200-250lbs. Meanwhile, I have a friend that's eating normally, and limiting himself to QUALITY foods (no, that does not include starchy food), maintained his weight, weighting in at 178lbs, 5'11, that can Snatch balance 255lbs and can OHS just a little over 300lbs. A guy that just does Crossfit, and doesn't focus solely on heavy lifting.

I'm not in agreement with the diet, never said a thing about the programing or his techniques (I know he gets criticized for his clean technique as he keeps the hips high exactly like a deadlift starting position, while others bring them down a bit more).
If you want to get big in a month or two, then go right ahead, stuff yourself silly. Doesn't make it healthy and that's all I was hinting at.
Fitness has different definition, which can include health, but the main one is suitability for a particular task. Athletes don't care about their healths, they sacrafice it by taking stimulants, steroids, etc, whatever makes them more fit for their sport. If you're a novice and your goal is to get strong and gain weight fast, then that is what the book offers. Nothing more nothing less, it makes no hints at attaining health and you made no hints at why the nutrition section was baaaaad. It serves a purpose.

We were three people who followed SS program. We all started with a 75-95lbs squats for 5. 1 guy went for the gallon of milk a day with a normal diet, I went with a high calorie diet + half a gallon of milk and my training partner went for eating a ton of pasta, cookies and milk. Guy on the GOMAD gained 150lbs on his squat, I gained 200lbs on mine, my training partner got to a 400lbs squat (300lbs more, but he was the tallest). All in a few months. I went from 130lbs to 165lbs (sub 12% bf), GOMAD guy went from 125 to 175 (18%bf), training partner went from 130lbs to 190lbs sub 10% bodyfat, with a 500lbs deadlift. GOMAD was not a good idea for my friend imo, he went for full fat milk and did not linearly progress his calories. Both the program and the diet should be linear. The point is to fuel your progress with calories. But anyways, you didn't say it was crap because it's unhealthy. You said it was bad and didn't elaborate. When you did elaborate, you took a shot at powerlifters for no reason whatsoever, even though SS is not a powerlifting book.

I don't know the context of your friends who did SS. Maybe they were not novices, maybe they weren't skinny and weak, maybe they had extensive sports experience, maybe they're not genetically predisposed to muscle and strength gain, etc. It's anectodal and I don't care much for your example.

Which brings me to your crossfit friend. There's no context again(did he get to those lifts in 2 months? what weight did he start at? What were his initial strength levels? How many sports did he do in his life? How much does he lift in volume [which for crossfitters can be as high or higher than normal lifters]? This is actually important info) and the lifts you brought up have no relevancy in any lifting sport that I know of. Olympic lifters don't care at all for either lift, which really you should know if you trained with weightlifters, powerlifters certainly don't care for either and bodybuilders probably have no idea what you just talked about.

Anyways, If you're going to demean something, why are you surprised if you're getting called out on it? You didn't back up what you said and your second reply was idiotic (powerlifters fat + I think of SS as the bible... wtf?).

lol @ the quality food comment. Seriously Kriss, go to school, learn the science, articles on the internet isn't knowledge.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 05-17-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 07:11 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:

geez, this is exactly what I'm talking about. I didn't even say I agreed with the diet. I don't even know that particular diet. And I never did a single comment towards that diet. I just said that you don't agree with anything else than your own and very strict ideas about nutrition. Look at your reply. You're on the defensive side once again, and you try to make it look like I said things I never said. You also try to make me look like I'm against healthy principles. That kind of behavior is what made me go away in the first threads. You tried on many occasion to discredit me and to make it sound like I said thing I never said.

I hope the mods won't delete this discussion like they did in the past so that I have the opportunity to say : "hey look I never said that"...

BTW, I still can't beleive people here still listen to you as much as they do. As a certified trainer (I have my Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology certification, something I doubt you have), with studies in kinesiology and soon-to-be medical doctor, I find that you're borderline dangerous in your recommendations. That's my opinion. I'll leave it there, and won't post in this thread anymore.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I didn't even say I agreed with the diet. I don't even know that particular diet.
So why do you even post a comment, a critical one about me being extremely strict, if you don't even know a thing about the diet being discussed? What if you actually agreed?..Oh, of course you won't, it's the dangerous Kriss E.

Quote:
I just said that you don't agree with anything else than your own and very strict ideas about nutrition.
And I said you were wrong to think that way. All that is, is your preconceived view of an internet poster that had a different view than you (and others) on what OPTIMAL healthy nutrition was when we argued months and months ago.

But hey, I'm Mr.Danger because I suggest eating starchy foods should be limited.
Quote:
Look at your reply. You're on the defensive side once again, and you try to make it look like I said things I never said.
Geez, I wonder why??...
Quote:
I find that you're borderline dangerous in your recommendations. That's my opinion.
I guess that explains the defensive feeling I tend to have whenever you respond to my posts.

Quote:
You also try to make me look like I'm against healthy principles. That kind of behavior is what made me go away in the first threads. You tried on many occasion to discredit me and to make it sound like I said thing I never said.
Right, and in the very same post, you wonder how some listen to me in this thread, and flat out call my recommendations Dangerous.
But hey, I'm definitely the bad guy here trying to discredit you.

Quote:
I hope the mods won't delete this discussion like they did in the past so that I have the opportunity to say : "hey look I never said that"...

BTW, I still can't beleive people here still listen to you as much as they do. As a certified trainer (I have my Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology certification, something I doubt you have), with studies in kinesiology and soon-to-be medical doctor, I find that you're borderline dangerous in your recommendations. That's my opinion. I'll leave it there, and won't post in this thread anymore.
So tell me, what exactly are my borderline dangerous recommendations??
It has to be the bad things such as not eating starchy foods and not favoring grains. I can't forget, recommending people not to do weighted squats and deadlift without proper technique, something I've discussed with Habsjunkie2, is probably extremely stupid and dangerous.
Obviously, you have a ton of proof to back out your amazing claim that my recommendations are borderline dangerous, which is why you follow up this superb accusation by saying you will cease to post in this thread. I wonder just how mature you'd think I was if I was the one saying those things about you..

I've said it about a million times before, you're allowed to have your own opinion, as much as me. Some of you guys, simply didn't like my attitude, and well, that's too bad. It is an internet board, and with your extensive knowledge, you probably know that things can be misinterpreted/understood here. So I apologize for ever rubbing you, or anybody else here the wrong way. Never was my intention.
So you can ignore this post and thread if you want, it's all good. But I certainly would appreciate your feedback as to what I have ever, EVER, said here that is borderline dangerous. As a soon-to-be medical doctor, and a mature person, I would imagine you have a multitude of examples, fresh in memory, as to how I've given dangerous advice. I know you wouldn't just throw things around like that, so please, do share. It would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-17-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Well, this thread is getting hostile. So here's my new workout.

Day 1

A1 Incline BP. 3 inch fat bar. 10 Sets 6 / 3 reps 4 seconds down, 1 up tempo
(First set, 6 reps. Second set, up the weight, 3 reps, third set, 6 reps, fourth, 3 reps, etc)
A2. Close grip pull-up 10 sets 6 / 3 reps 4 seconds down, 1 up tempo
(Same thing as A1, except adds weight on belt)

B1 Flat DB Press 4 sets 6-8 reps 4 seconds down, 1 up
B2 Bent-over BB rows 4 sets 6-8 reps

There are two other days but that was long to type. Feels good, man.

3 inch fat bar.

Last edited by Beaker: 05-17-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Fitness has different definition, which can include health, but the main one is suitability for a particular task. Athletes don't care about their healths, they sacrafice it by taking stimulants, steroids, etc, whatever makes them more fit for their sport. If you're a novice and your goal is to get strong and gain weight fast, then that is what the book offers. Nothing more nothing less, it makes no hints at attaining health and you made no hints at why the nutrition section was baaaaad. It serves a purpose.

We were three people who followed SS program. We all started with a 75-95lbs squats for 5. 1 guy went for the gallon of milk a day with a normal diet, I went with a high calorie diet + half a gallon of milk and my training partner went for eating a ton of pasta, cookies and milk. Guy on the GOMAD gained 150lbs on his squat, I gained 200lbs on mine, my training partner got to a 400lbs squat (300lbs more, but he was the tallest). All in a few months. I went from 130lbs to 165lbs (sub 12% bf), GOMAD guy went from 125 to 175 (18%bf), training partner went from 130lbs to 190lbs sub 10% bodyfat, with a 500lbs deadlift. GOMAD was not a good idea for my friend imo, he went for full fat milk and did not linearly progress his calories. Both the program and the diet should be linear. The point is to fuel your progress with calories. But anyways, you didn't say it was crap because it's unhealthy. You said it was bad and didn't elaborate. When you did elaborate, you took a shot at powerlifters for no reason whatsoever, even though SS is not a powerlifting book.

I don't know the context of your friends who did SS. Maybe they were not novices, maybe they weren't skinny and weak, maybe they had extensive sports experience, maybe they're not genetically predisposed to muscle and strength gain, etc. It's anectodal and I don't care much for your example.

Which brings me to your crossfit friend. There's no context again(did he get to those lifts in 2 months? what weight did he start at? What were his initial strength levels? How many sports did he do in his life? How much does he lift in volume [which for crossfitters can be as high or higher than normal lifters]? This is actually important info) and the lifts you brought up have no relevancy in any lifting sport that I know of. Olympic lifters don't care at all for either lift, which really you should know if you trained with weightlifters, powerlifters certainly don't care for either and bodybuilders probably have no idea what you just talked about.

Anyways, If you're going to demean something, why are you surprised if you're getting called out on it? You didn't back up what you said and your second reply was idiotic (powerlifters fat + I think of SS as the bible... wtf?).

lol @ the quality food comment. Seriously Kriss, go to school, learn the science, articles on the internet isn't knowledge.
It seems like the only purpose is to prove that one is right and the other is wrong. If you think I should go to school, well, why would I do that when I'm having so much fun being the uneducated clueless clown?..

Did you know that Rippetoe himself said he wasn't a nutrition expert? Kind of explains why he only has 1 page out of his 323 on nutrition..But, what do I know after all, and I know where this is going, you'll need proof before believing me. I don't have the quote, nor will I dig it up, so I guess you can go ahead and dismiss it if you want.

What is really funny however, is that the apparently non-scholar (somehow, I haven't been to school, and don't know anything about the science..) is the one that is saying GOMAD isn't good, while the cultivated, intelligent and obviously knowledgeable one is defending it (or should I say, belittling the one that did say it was bad).

I thought it was obvious as to why I thought I feel it's bad. I think I've made myself clear that whenever I speak about nutrition, no matter what the goal is, the priority in my mind is health. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, my mistake.

The fat powerlifter comment was because that's what my friends wanted to look like. But the main purpose of it was to say that most will gain lots of fat from that diet. I don't think you would deny that. Personally, I don't consider any diet that makes you gain a substantial level of fat is good (healthy), hence the ''it's crap'' comment.
If anybody is fine with that, then great. I never said you, or anybody else, was ''this'' or ''that'' for thinking anything of this diet. I never said it won't make you stronger either. I never said it wasn't a great way of, indeed, making you stronger.
I said it was crap (obviously I was hinting at the health side of it, but clearly, it wasn't as obvious as I thought). To which you responded that it didn't matter if I agreed with it, saying ''that's the only thing Mark Rippetoe does, and he does it better than anyone posting here'', somehow suggesting I was pretending like I think I know more than him, which is ridiculous.

For the 70sbig guys, if I remember correctly, they include a conditioning part in their programming. Just like Crossfit Football and they are all for the GOMAD, it is an ''easy'' way of adding 2400calories to your diet, but they do good conditioning workouts that go along with it. SS doesn't do that, so most gain fat from it along with muscle and strength.

In any event, maybe that clarified what my ''it's crap'' comment was all about. Perhaps next time I'll choose my wordings more carefully so that nobody gets offended.

I can't help but lol @ the ''lol @ quality food. go to school.'' comment though. Even Rippetoe suggests it by saying you should eat meats, eggs, veggies and fruits. That's basically why he suggests GOMAD as it means 2400calories alone, and then you can add the quality foods from meats/eggs and fruits/veggies. But hey, what do I know, I don't go to McGill (or do I...??) .

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old
05-18-2011, 05:17 PM
Little Nilan

Quote:
It seems like the only purpose is to prove that one is right and the other is wrong. If you think I should go to school, well, why would I do that when I'm having so much fun being the uneducated clueless clown?..

Did you know that Rippetoe himself said he wasn't a nutrition expert? Kind of explains why he only has 1 page out of his 323 on nutrition..But, what do I know after all, and I know where this is going, you'll need proof before believing me. I don't have the quote, nor will I dig it up, so I guess you can go ahead and dismiss it if you want.

What is really funny however, is that the apparently non-scholar (somehow, I haven't been to school, and don't know anything about the science..) is the one that is saying GOMAD isn't good, while the cultivated, intelligent and obviously knowledgeable one is defending it (or should I say, belittling the one that did say it was bad).

I thought it was obvious as to why I thought I feel it's bad. I think I've made myself clear that whenever I speak about nutrition, no matter what the goal is, the priority in my mind is health. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear, my mistake.

The fat powerlifter comment was because that's what my friends wanted to look like. But the main purpose of it was to say that most will gain lots of fat from that diet. I don't think you would deny that. Personally, I don't consider any diet that makes you gain a substantial level of fat is good (healthy), hence the ''it's crap'' comment.
If anybody is fine with that, then great. I never said you, or anybody else, was ''this'' or ''that'' for thinking anything of this diet. I never said it won't make you stronger either. I never said it wasn't a great way of, indeed, making you stronger.
I said it was crap (obviously I was hinting at the health side of it, but clearly, it wasn't as obvious as I thought). To which you responded that it didn't matter if I agreed with it, saying ''that's the only thing Mark Rippetoe does, and he does it better than anyone posting here'', somehow suggesting I was pretending like I think I know more than him, which is ridiculous.

For the 70sbig guys, if I remember correctly, they include a conditioning part in their programming. Just like Crossfit Football and they are all for the GOMAD, it is an ''easy'' way of adding 2400calories to your diet, but they do good conditioning workouts that go along with it. SS doesn't do that, so most gain fat from it along with muscle and strength.

In any event, maybe that clarified what my ''it's crap'' comment was all about. Perhaps next time I'll choose my wordings more carefully so that nobody gets offended.

I can't help but lol @ the ''lol @ quality food. go to school.'' comment though. Even Rippetoe suggests it by saying you should eat meats, eggs, veggies and fruits. That's basically why he suggests GOMAD as it means 2400calories alone, and then you can add the quality foods from meats/eggs and fruits/veggies. But hey, what do I know, I don't go to McGill (or do I...??) .
Kriss, please put a sock it in. The only purpose is that one is right and the other is wrong. Are there any two posters that argue more than we do? No, so let's not go there. No one here is less guilty than the other.

Yes I did know that Rippetoe himself said that. I don't care for him or his opinions whatsoever. His recommendations have one purpose only: properly fuel an expected strength gain (200-250-300lbs on your squat). That will not happen eating celery. People who start GOMAD do not care about fat gain, they care about strength. That is what I'm trying to explain to you, I'm defending GOMAD because it's purpose is clear and it's results aren't exagerrated (he says you can easily gain 8% more in fat, no one is blind to the fat gain). And again, please stop with the finger pointing. No one is more guilty about belittling the other (fat powerlifters? SS my bible? But I will belittle you, because your opinions are inconsistent. Weren't you on your university football team? Didn't you preach in your early days here that you gained 35lbs in a summer by eating everything? Weren't you saying this with the same vigor and close mindedness you're using now?

But anyways, yeah, you should definitely go to school in science. Add some biochemistry classes to your curriculum. Try to get over 2.5/4, heck try to get 4/4, it's easy, trust me. You might start to understand how nutrients are used and just the way your body, your cells work, what's healthy, what's unhealthy. Heck, you could add in some basic biology and anthropology classes and take part in a study.

Quote:
So tell me, what exactly are my borderline dangerous recommendations??
I think he's talking about things like fasting and eating saturated fats.

Quote:
It has to be the bad things such as not eating starchy foods and not favoring grains.
No, that's just retarded and based on nothing.

Here's a new one for you Kriss: did you know that all the water you drink and shower with contains high amounts of fluoride due to the water treatement process(1ppm in some parts)? Did you know that distilled water doesn't? Maybe you should drink that.

Old
05-18-2011, 06:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
You guys have 2 completely different goals, i'm not entirely sure why you guys are defensive to an opposing opinion...wrong or right.

As for me, still doing my thing, I feel better. I feel more active. Too short to have real results though.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

the new paleo diet : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12071424

fun facts about the almighty starchy foods : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15228991

Old
05-19-2011, 08:52 AM
windycity

Good Workouts That Are less Intense/Time Consuming than P90X

Can anyone suggest any good workouts (with CDs) that are are less intense/time consuming than P90X? I want to get in good shape but don't have the time for P90X while still finding time for my family, work, and playing the sports I love (hockey and soccer).

The P90X guys have a less intense version (power 90), anyone know if it's any good?

Thanks!

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:16 AM
habsjunkie2*

I find kriss often refers to his personal choice as though it's back by science. It's science alright, pseudo science. (no starches, HIIT vs LISS and many other poorly supported theories) I however, have yet to see him recommend anything dangerous.

The diet in SS is only temporary and will not cause you any long term harm. It's all about juggling your goals with your diet. If you eat healthy 90% of time, but decide you want to bulk up for a few months, it isn't gonna kill you or knock days off your life. It's not a permanent life style, but I don't think Rippetoe ever suggested it should be.
Moderation, moderation, moderation.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote