HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators Prospect Updates - Pt II

Old
05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'd compare him very favorably to Dave Bolland from Chicago.
I'd say a poor man's Bolland, but stylistically that's a good call.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 01:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok CHL update:

Portland is tied with the Ice 1-1 in the finals of the WHL playoffs. I'm not bothering to put up Taylor Aronson's stat line up because it never changes.

In the Q finals St. John's and Gatineau are tied 1-1

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:14 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'd say a poor man's Bolland, but stylistically that's a good call.
Let's see what he can do. I find it interesting that Poile is doing his best to keep certain guys together or reunite them. He drafted Beck and Latta together and maybe that bodes well for both of them and us. He reunited Halischuk and Spaling here in Nashville and that seems to be going well even though they haven't been playing together that much. I have a funny feeling down the line they will be.

I like what Latta brings in that he's a winner and he's got a fire in his play and not afraid to mix it up.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 01:46 AM
JussiM

Lajunen will play tonight when Finland faces Russia at the Worlds.

JussiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2011, 03:25 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiM View Post
Lajunen will play tonight when Finland faces Russia at the Worlds.
Yeah, he gonna make his WC debut. Jani Lajunen might be pretty unknown prospect for pred fans. Lajunen is an great two-way player. Great size, speed and hands. Great at PK and at the own end. Deninitely NHL-potential. Never gonna be a first liner and if he reaches his maxium potential he gonna be an 2nd line center. He will most likely end up into 3rd line. He was first line center of FEL team which reached to the FINAL but lost them. He is very trotz-like player. Fights like a warrior, lands big hits, great speed, gritty and good 2-way player. Going to play AHL next season.

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
JamboPred

Mattias Ekholm signed - 3 years entry level

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=562573

JamboPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 10:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Yeah, he gonna make his WC debut. Jani Lajunen might be pretty unknown prospect for pred fans. Lajunen is an great two-way player. Great size, speed and hands. Great at PK and at the own end. Deninitely NHL-potential. Never gonna be a first liner and if he reaches his maxium potential he gonna be an 2nd line center. He will most likely end up into 3rd line. He was first line center of FEL team which reached to the FINAL but lost them. He is very trotz-like player. Fights like a warrior, lands big hits, great speed, gritty and good 2-way player. Going to play AHL next season.
Wow, you just described 97 percent of forwards drafted by the Predators

How did Joonas Rask look, this year? He impressed a lot of people at summer camp, last year.

Old
05-12-2011, 10:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboPred View Post
Mattias Ekholm signed - 3 years entry level

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=562573
i hope this means he's changed his mind about not coming over. I'd love to see him in Milwaukee next season.

Old
05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
JussiM

Quote:
i hope this means he's changed his mind about not coming over. I'd love to see him in Milwaukee next season.
You must be thinking of Denis Kulyash.

Lajunen has played great couple of games. Got his first goal today against Norway.

JussiM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2011, 12:59 PM
thomast

Quote:
Wow, you just described 97 percent of forwards drafted by the Predators

How did Joonas Rask look, this year? He impressed a lot of people at summer camp, last year.
Didn't watch him this year so much. If we compare these 2 players, Lajunen has definitely more NHL-potential.

J. Lajunen first goal in his NT career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_scerj2sFA

He has clinched a spot from the 4th line. Playing very well, blocking shots, playing PK, and landing huge hits. Today he was one of the best players from team Finland.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:24 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Lajunen has really impressed me in the three games he has played. He's great defensively and has pretty good offensive instincts(?) as well. Two goals in the WC's so far.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
With Smith and Lajunen looking good in the Worlds (I know they are not everything but playing against NHLers is always a good experience), our forward prospects are looking good.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 02:10 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
With Smith and Lajunen looking good in the Worlds (I know they are not everything but playing against NHLers is always a good experience), our forward prospects are looking good.
Lajunen reminds me alot of young Mikko Koivu. Speedier version tho. I've seen about 20 games off him this season. His max potential would be speedier Mikko Koivu, and selke nominee. This kid is definitely in NHL in the future. He has good offensive insticts aswell. If you watch the goal against russia closely he made a wall pass off the boards on purpose and made the goal.

Old
05-14-2011, 09:42 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Just remember, Antti Pihlstrom and Jonas Andersson looked downright dominant in the WC's.

It's not a great tournament to judge, since so many countries bring b and c level talent.

Old
05-16-2011, 06:06 AM
thomast

Lajunen won gold at the WHC and had an assist. He played 4 games on the 4th line and his stats 2G+1A=3P. Stats are very good consider the 4th line ice time. He was one of the leading PK'ers of the team. Lets hope he continues to improve his offensive game at the NA next season. Bright future.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:24 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
It's not a great tournament to judge, since so many countries bring b and c level talent.
I'd say it's not because of this, look at Russia/Canada/Slovakia-rosters for example. Tournaments can be misleading simply because they last only for a couple of weeks and players with hot streaks might look better than they really are. You have to be able to look at the big picture and know the history of high performing players etc.

Lajunen, however, really is a good player. Saying he's "speedier Mikko Koivu" is just laughable but I could definately see him playing in the NHL as a 3rd-liner. His playing style suits the NA-hockey well.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
I'd say it's not because of this, look at Russia/Canada/Slovakia-rosters for example. Tournaments can be misleading simply because they last only for a couple of weeks and players with hot streaks might look better than they really are. You have to be able to look at the big picture and know the history of high performing players etc.

Lajunen, however, really is a good player. Saying he's "speedier Mikko Koivu" is just laughable but I could definately see him playing in the NHL as a 3rd-liner. His playing style suits the NA-hockey well.
Looking at Russia, Czech, even Finland and Sweden, there are a lot of guys that are either NHL has-beens or "local" stars. Compared to say, the olympics, where the committment is higher on the part of the best players to take part, it's a bit of an afterthought tournament where guys can "stand out" in a fleeting manner. I'm just saying...we've been burned by getting our hopes up for certain players in these tournaments, before.

Old
05-17-2011, 06:44 AM
teme

Quote:
Looking at Russia, Czech, even Finland and Sweden, there are a lot of guys that are either NHL has-beens or "local" stars. Compared to say, the olympics, where the committment is higher on the part of the best players to take part, it's a bit of an afterthought tournament where guys can "stand out" in a fleeting manner. I'm just saying...we've been burned by getting our hopes up for certain players in these tournaments, before.
Just dropped in to say you''ve got a really nice player in Lajunen. But I'll comment a bit on this too.

WCs are a different game, yes some guys who never make it in NHL shine, but even more the other way around. That is lot of very good NHL players are really average or even down right bad. Nagy for example was the best forward for Slovakia IMO, not Hossa or Gaborik. Of the Predators player, with all due respect to Erat or Weber for example, only one that has really left an impression to me in international play is Suter.

It is a bigger rink and a short tournament with little time to adjust. At least for Euros, from quarter finals on it is extremely high pressure hockey. You loose one game and you are out, and they are usually tight low scoring games, one mistake might lead to your entire home nation blaming you.

Lajunen and his line played very well under those circumstances, scoring against Russia and Norway, and the fourth line scored the key winning goal in the final game. I like him a lot, has the basic Finnish grinder elements (speedy and physical, see Bergenheim and Korpikoski for example) but also seems to have some nice puck skills.

teme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:21 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Rumor has it that Andreas Thuresson will return to Sweden, next season. Understandable...was always going to be a cup of coffee guy.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:59 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Just dropped in to say you''ve got a really nice player in Lajunen. But I'll comment a bit on this too.

WCs are a different game, yes some guys who never make it in NHL shine, but even more the other way around. That is lot of very good NHL players are really average or even down right bad. Nagy for example was the best forward for Slovakia IMO, not Hossa or Gaborik. Of the Predators player, with all due respect to Erat or Weber for example, only one that has really left an impression to me in international play is Suter.

It is a bigger rink and a short tournament with little time to adjust. At least for Euros, from quarter finals on it is extremely high pressure hockey. You loose one game and you are out, and they are usually tight low scoring games, one mistake might lead to your entire home nation blaming you.

Lajunen and his line played very well under those circumstances, scoring against Russia and Norway, and the fourth line scored the key winning goal in the final game. I like him a lot, has the basic Finnish grinder elements (speedy and physical, see Bergenheim and Korpikoski for example) but also seems to have some nice puck skills.
Could you give a scouting report of his progression the last few years? My impression of him a few years ago at rookie camp was that he was a great skater and had good hands but was weak and was neutralized by any physical play. At the time I dubbed him as a great practice player. You know the guys who look great in drills flying around being able to use their speed and stickhandling. But in real close checking games struggle. I wasn't impressed with his stats the last few years but I know overseas often young guys don't get tons of playing time.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:38 PM
RogueStatus
Devils-Redhawks

If anyone is interested, we have a mock draft and we only need a few more teams to start. Nashville is open http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=914051

RogueStatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:57 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Could you give a scouting report of his progression the last few years? My impression of him a few years ago at rookie camp was that he was a great skater and had good hands but was weak and was neutralized by any physical play. At the time I dubbed him as a great practice player. You know the guys who look great in drills flying around being able to use their speed and stickhandling. But in real close checking games struggle. I wasn't impressed with his stats the last few years but I know overseas often young guys don't get tons of playing time.
He was number 1 center of his team and played alot. He never gonna be a top 3 guy if he reach his max potential he's top 6 but most likely will end bottom 6. He's quite physical player nowadays winning battles at boards, giving big hits and protects the puck well. Great bottom 6 guy in the future plays alot of PK. Can score goals. Trotz gonna like him very much.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:42 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Rumor has it that Andreas Thuresson will return to Sweden, next season. Understandable...was always going to be a cup of coffee guy.
He played well at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

There isn't a chance you meant Linus Klasen? I saw in the Milwaukee newspaper that he signed with a Swedish team called the Redhawks.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
He played well at the end of the season and in the playoffs.

There isn't a chance you meant Linus Klasen? I saw in the Milwaukee newspaper that he signed with a Swedish team called the Redhawks.
Yes, Klasen definitely returning to Sweden, but apparently Thuresson will be as well, although it's still just a "rumor."

You have to look at it from his perspective:

He can make the same, if not more money at home, be around culture and language he's more comfortable with, and he's been passed on the depth chart by not only Spaling and Halischuk, but Geoffrion and possibly Bourque, Beck, and Latta as well. There's no point in playing in North America for the off chance you might get to play 2 or 3 games in Nashville.

Old
05-25-2011, 10:00 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Yes, Klasen definitely returning to Sweden, but apparently Thuresson will be as well, although it's still just a "rumor."

You have to look at it from his perspective:

He can make the same, if not more money at home, be around culture and language he's more comfortable with, and he's been passed on the depth chart by not only Spaling and Halischuk, but Geoffrion and possibly Bourque, Beck, and Latta as well. There's no point in playing in North America for the off chance you might get to play 2 or 3 games in Nashville.
I don't see Beck and Latta as having passed Thuresson. However, Mr. T did sleepwalk through half the season and did not progress at all.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote