HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Boogaard's number be retired?

View Poll Results: Should number 94 be retired?
Yes, number 94 should officially be retired 21 7.55%
The number should be taken out of circulation quiet 98 35.25%
No, it should be available in future too 142 51.08%
I'm good either way 17 6.12%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2011, 04:17 PM
  #101
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post

I think Ranger fans are being somewhat dismissive of Boogey because some didnt agree with his role.
Now you're straw-manning to put yourself above others. The outpouring of support for Boogey (an often maligned player around here) on this board has been nothing short of spectacular.

I get the hesitation to put a jersey in the rafters, but i doubt very many would be against quietly removing it from circulation.

I think some people are getting a little too absorbed with what constitutes a "proper" tribute, with someone like devito going as far to make it into a tribute comparison/competition with Cherepanov. As long as he's honored and done so respectfully it doesn't matter how it's done.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
  #102
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
You are talking about Michel Briere who played an entire season for the Pens. He was our third leading scorer that year. The team retired his number since he was our first "star" & have the rookie of the year trophy named after him as well.
alrite thanks

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 04:57 PM
  #103
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,115
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Once a Ranger always a Ranger, Boogey was a Ranger and his death was tragic, if I was in charge, I would take the number out of circulation, out of respect to him, but that is my opinion.

I just see how the fans in Minnesota are reacting to his death and it just confirms what a great guy he was.

I think Ranger fans are being somewhat dismissive of Boogey because some didnt agree with his role.
Did you advocate the franchise retiring Roman Lyashenko's number?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 07:20 PM
  #104
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 566
Wear it in black and let it be.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
  #105
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Way to compartmentalize. Just because hes dead doesnt mean hes still not one of the worst hockey players I've ever seen play in the NHL in the 20+ years I've been watching hockey.

It also doesnt make his death any less tragic.
He did what he went to NY to do. He did that job perfectly throughout his career and if he made it to the nhl, I'm pretty sure he had potential to score goals, it just wasn't necessarily what he was there to do

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:47 PM
  #106
o Hamhuis 2 x
Registered User
 
o Hamhuis 2 x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Reading PA
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
I'm not sure you guys appreciate what his job was. He was there to protect Gabby, Dubi, and players like that's. Without players like Boogaard, the Ovechkins and Datsyuks of the NHL would be hurt all the time

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:50 PM
  #107
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,115
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I'm not sure you guys appreciate what his job was. He was there to protect Gabby, Dubi, and players like that's. Without players like Boogaard, the Ovechkins and Datsyuks of the NHL would be hurt all the time
Ugh... We on the Rangers board have had this "enforcer" discussion about 3 billion times in the past two years. Please don't take us down that path again.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
  #108
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,533
vCash: 500
Just want to state that I, as a supporter of Boogaard on this team from day 1, say absolutely not.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:07 PM
  #109
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,115
vCash: 500
Awards:
Lyashenko played 17 games for us, and was in the organization for two years. Boogaard played 22, over one year. Why did no one propose Lyashenko's number be retired or taken out of circulation?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:19 PM
  #110
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
couldnt have said it any better myself.

now if this was like Henrik Lundqvist we were talking about, then i think we'd have a good argument here. but Boogaard? seriously?
right, because one life is more important than the other....

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
  #111
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o Hamhuis 2 x View Post
I'm not sure you guys appreciate what his job was. He was there to protect Gabby, Dubi, and players like that's. Without players like Boogaard, the Ovechkins and Datsyuks of the NHL would be hurt all the time
That's just not true. Enforcers fight enforcers.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:22 PM
  #112
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Did you advocate the franchise retiring Roman Lyashenko's number?
Fair point...

I will reserve my comment until Boogey's death is determined.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:28 PM
  #113
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 500
I chose option B because of I agree with post #4.

Big fat 1940 curse to the bum who dares wear the number of the NYR's, our Boogeyman. It was awesome to be able to call him our own.

I'm still so bummed.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:14 PM
  #114
Sunshine
Registered User
 
Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Big fat 1940 curse to the bum who dares wear the number of the NYR's, our Boogeyman. It was awesome to be able to call him our own.
Seriously? "awesome to call him our own" ...

Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:49 PM
  #115
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
right, because one life is more important than the other....
with regards to the rangers retiring his number, without a doubt. Henrik Lundqvist has meant, and will mean 15293787923598239598326592398592835789235897239852 925 times more to this organization than Derek Boogaard did.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:50 AM
  #116
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
with regards to the rangers retiring his number, without a doubt. Henrik Lundqvist has meant, and will mean 15293787923598239598326592398592835789235897239852 925 times more to this organization than Derek Boogaard did.
Hank is more valuable, nothing ground break in your assessment.

You have hated on Boogey since the begin and you continuing the rant even after his death is sad.

Let's honor the man before you start ripping him apart again.

I am sad I only got to watch him for 22 games because I wanted the love affair he had with Wild fans.

Guy came here to do a job and unfortunately, he will not be able to silence all of his haters.

Just another indication how fickle Ranger fans can be.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:24 AM
  #117
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Hank is more valuable, nothing ground break in your assessment.

You have hated on Boogey since the begin and you continuing the rant even after his death is sad.

Let's honor the man before you start ripping him apart again.

I am sad I only got to watch him for 22 games because I wanted the love affair he had with Wild fans.

Guy came here to do a job and unfortunately, he will not be able to silence all of his haters.

Just another indication how fickle Ranger fans can be.
Fickle? Acknowledging his death as a tragedy, while at the same time keeping his career as a Ranger in perspective is fickle?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:37 AM
  #118
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Fickle? Acknowledging his death as a tragedy, while at the same time keeping his career as a Ranger in perspective is fickle?
I am honoring the man...he died and that is tragic, he was a Ranger at the time of his death and I think Ranger fans should respect that...I do not think it is appropriate at this juncture to say how one player is so much more valuable than another and if player A had passed instead of player B, then the number should be retired.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:42 AM
  #119
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I am honoring the man...he died and that is tragic, he was a Ranger at the time of his death and I think Ranger fans should respect that
Um, I don't think anyone is not respecting that or recognizing the tragedy of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I do not think it is appropriate at this juncture to say how one player is so much more valuable than another and if player A had passed instead of player B, then the number should be retired.
OK, when will be an appropriate time to discuss the merits of retiring the number of a guy who played 22 games for this team?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:56 AM
  #120
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,559
vCash: 500
should he be inducted into the hall of fame?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:57 AM
  #121
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Um, I don't think anyone is not respecting that or recognizing the tragedy of the situation.



OK, when will be an appropriate time to discuss the merits of retiring the number of a guy who played 22 games for this team?
Initially, I stated I would retire his number but that is not practical, I am not sure what the solution is and I am not sure when it is appropriate but my personal feelings are it is too soon to discuss.

Just seeing the emotions of the Wild fans and you can see he had an impact on those fans and I think he would have had the same impact here if most fans weren't screaming for his head before he had a chance to really prove himself.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:02 AM
  #122
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Guy came here to do a job and unfortunately, he will not be able to silence all of his haters.
The guy came here so that he could get vastly overpaid to do one thing, and even that one thing, he did hardly any of in his brief time with the team. And if he hadn't died, most of us (and I believe that includes John Tortorella and the rest of the front office) would have been more than happy if he never put on this team's jersey again. I know I would have, since he's one of the worst and most useless players I've ever had the misfortune of watching play for this team (and there is some hefty competition for that kind of description as far as former New York Rangers are concerned.

Let's not romanticize the past, especially when we're dealing with a past that is oh-so-recent. Atrocious player, nice person, tragic death.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:13 AM
  #123
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Just seeing the emotions of the Wild fans and you can see he had an impact on those fans
Of course he did. He played five seasons there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I think he would have had the same impact here if most fans weren't screaming for his head before he had a chance to really prove himself.
He didn't have a chance to prove himself? Perhaps that's because he couldn't do his job anymore.

Mourn the loss? Yes. Look back fondly? If you want to. Imagine a bright future in the game? I can't see how

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:28 AM
  #124
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
should he be inducted into the hall of fame?
First ballot no doubt.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:31 AM
  #125
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The guy came here so that he could get vastly overpaid to do one thing, and even that one thing, he did hardly any of in his brief time with the team. And if he hadn't died, most of us (and I believe that includes John Tortorella and the rest of the front office) would have been more than happy if he never put on this team's jersey again. I know I would have, since he's one of the worst and most useless players I've ever had the misfortune of watching play for this team (and there is some hefty competition for that kind of description as far as former New York Rangers are concerned.

Let's not romanticize the past, especially when we're dealing with a past that is oh-so-recent. Atrocious player, nice person, tragic death.
Well said. It's a horrible thing for a young person to die...and for that I am very sorry. But I wanted no part of him on the Rangers now or in the future. He was arguably the worst hockey player in the NHL and I can't imagine he had any role in this organization going forward.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.