HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2011, 06:22 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Say the Rangers move their first this year and perhaps a second this year, for another first next year. Two firsts next year in a stronger draft. Would you do that?
Perhaps...but who's 1st are we getting next year? And ours will likely be worse than 15, no?

Old
05-16-2011, 06:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
You're really in love with this kid, aren't you?
Lol.

I think he's going to be a good player.

:-)

Old
05-16-2011, 06:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Lol.

I think he's going to be a good player.

:-)
I agree that I think he can be an NHLer. I just dont see the flash but I would be okay with him in the 2nd. I like Clendening as well.

Old
05-16-2011, 06:52 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

There isn't a whole lot of flash. He's a straight forward kind of player.

Not a lot of mystery in what your getting.

But there is potential there for him to be more.

Don't need to be fancy to score. Just have to know where to be and have the skill to finish. He's got it.

Two way smart player, too. Room and time to grow a couple inches and get stronger. He's still 17 and already finished his Freshman season.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:36 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Does anyone know what date the draft will take place on this year? The last two years have been horrible for me, hotel rooms with crappy internet connection (not to mention the draft is one of HF's biggest events of the year, so it was probably already laggy).

Thank you

Old
05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

brett ritchie. mentioned him before. hes rising and gaining alot of buzz.

cant wait for this monster to light up the combine.

with his size 6'3 200 plus, smooth stride and lazer like wrister, this kid is flying.

late 1st now, mid 1st not out of the realm.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
Does anyone know what date the draft will take place on this year? The last two years have been horrible for me, hotel rooms with crappy internet connection (not to mention the draft is one of HF's biggest events of the year, so it was probably already laggy).

Thank you
2011 draft

Old
05-17-2011, 01:05 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I am absolutely afraid of wasting a first round pick that we could have moved for an established player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
brett ritchie. mentioned him before. hes rising and gaining alot of buzz.

cant wait for this monster to light up the combine.

with his size 6'3 200 plus, smooth stride and lazer like wrister, this kid is flying.

late 1st now, mid 1st not out of the realm.
My guess is late teens, so I wonder what would you think if we took him at #15 ?

Old
05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
My guess is late teens, so I wonder what would you think if we took him at #15 ?
backflips laughing all the way to the bank. im sure right now he might be considered a reach at 15 but relative to the other guys that might be there at 15, not so sure.

the way this draft is shaping up, looks like we are gonna have our pick of a number of guys who are all slightly flawed. the rankings are all over the place after number 10. button and iss couldnt be more different. its strange how much everyone disagrees.

this ritchie kid might well be the best package at 15 but again, alot of that is based on his frame. that kinda size with that kinda skill if it comes together. wow.

right now, he just continues to impress. his u18 tourny was strong and he came back like an animal for the sting once he got healthy. hes bigger than biggs, smarter and maybe more disciplined, and certainly more skilled. hes no where near the wildman that biggs is but he can throw em when hes in the mood.

at 6'3 210 this kid is just touching his potential. his skating impresses, his deft hands are a bonus and his wrist shot is heavy and accurate. hes a big strong horse with a sniper one timer. i remember when he went 12th in the priority draft. he was 6'3 190 back then at 16 yrs old.

it would be something else if we take him at 15 and im begginning to think that would not be a reach there at all.

once this kid shows his measurables at the combine, and assuming the interviews are good- which i expect them to be as hes a well spoken, focused kid, this kid will be in demand.

add to that any number of swift forwards in the 2nd round- im absolutely digging daniel catenacci and that explosive speed, and then perhaps a swede

this would be a very nice draft indeed.

right now i like this group of 6

koko- superstar talent but will we take a russian
ritchie- darkhorse pick and with stud potential
puempel- sniper shooter finisher.

scheifele-prolly gone end round 1but ya never know.
brodin/klefbom- same for these 2 but if either are still available i take which ever is there as i love both of the big swede defenders
catenacci- speed that cannot be taught

Old
05-17-2011, 09:04 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

When I read scouting reports about a kid that's 6-3, and they say he isn't physical, I get concerned, I stay away.

Catenacci is alright, but for a player with that much speed, skill, and grit, he should be a 35-40 goal scorer. Christian Thomas at the same age in less games scored 40 goals. Catenacci scored 26. Not that impressed.

All things being equal, if I'm going power forward in the 1st round its McNeill. Hgher upside. Brings the grit with his size and skill.

And if im going smaller with speed in the 2nd round, Nieto has the speed and skill, but also plays a complete game, and did it as a 17 year old playing against 20-22 year olds. Plays in all situations, heady player. He could grow an inch or two by the time he goes pro, like Stepan did. And actually play at about 6 feet as a pro.

Im not ragging, just making conversation.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:49 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
When I read scouting reports about a kid that's 6-3, and they say he isn't physical, I get concerned, I stay away.

Catenacci is alright, but for a player with that much speed, skill, and grit, he should be a 35-40 goal scorer. Christian Thomas at the same age in less games scored 40 goals. Catenacci scored 26. Not that impressed.

All things being equal, if I'm going power forward in the 1st round its McNeill. Hgher upside. Brings the grit with his size and skill.

And if im going smaller with speed in the 2nd round, Nieto has the speed and skill, but also plays a complete game, and did it as a 17 year old playing against 20-22 year olds. Plays in all situations, heady player. He could grow an inch or two by the time he goes pro, like Stepan did. And actually play at about 6 feet as a pro.

Im not ragging, just making conversation.
i would say ritchie is a skill guy with size. if you look at it that way, you dont have to be overly physical to be productive. having said that, the way he played this year for the sting showed me he knows how to play a dirty type game and can be a horse to handle down low. i wouldnt say hes not physical as much as i would say he may not inititate it but hardly shys away from it.

his u18 results also showed hes no slouch when it comes to going to the net hard.

im not so sure mcneil has that much higher upside than ritchie.

comparing catenacci and thomas doesnt work for me. diffferent players completely and the cat played on a very young and inexperienced greyhounds team and yet he was still a ppg player. give him more talent to work with, especially a big wingman, and this kid will produce.

i happen to believe catenacci, with his blazing speed and smarts will be a dynamic and dangerous player in the same mold as a rocco grimaldi.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
I'm currently on the Sven Bartschi bandwagon. And I imagine there will be a guy I like at 15 pretty much no matter who goes in the first 14.

Thing is, the guy we pick here will very likely not be ready for some time, if at all. How long will we be able to lock up Dubi and Cally for?

Its very possible that whoever we pick will not be ready to fully develop into the "core" roster we have right now. Its getting harder and harder to keep drafted players for extended periods of time. So draft according to BPA, not need-based in my mind.

05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
TreeSapLlama

I had a nightmare where Slats picked Oleksiak. I really hope this doesn't happen.

Old
05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
I had a nightmare where Slats picked Oleksiak. I really hope this doesn't happen.
Wouldn't be a bad pick by any stretch at 15. Just really don't want another D-man who isn't an offensive powerhouse. Oleksiak is going to be REALLY good. People are still sleeping on this kid.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
05-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Wouldn't be a bad pick by any stretch at 15. Just really don't want another D-man who isn't an offensive powerhouse. Oleksiak is going to be REALLY good. People are still sleeping on this kid.
I was going to say, the guy is a mammoth who can handle the puck, is mobile, and can mix it up. Probably not as raw as people might think. Can definitely see him going 15-20. Might be the only guy from college to go top 30.

I don't think he will be, but If he's the BPA at 15, in this draft, I'd take him. Regardless of redundancy, you will have acquired the most valuable asset you could have, and with NYR's stocked d-core, you can use him in a trade.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:29 PM
NaturalIce

Oleksiak is gonna be a real solid defender, wouldn't be a bad pick for at 15 at all. Obviously you want guys with offensive upside but you can never really have too many defensive prospects.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
I was going to say, the guy is a mammoth who can handle the puck, is mobile, and can mix it up. Probably not as raw as people might think. Can definitely see him going 15-20. Might be the only guy from college to go top 30.

I don't think he will be, but If he's the BPA at 15, in this draft, I'd take him. Regardless of redundancy, you will have acquired the most valuable asset you could have, and with NYR's stocked d-core, you can use him in a trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalIce View Post
Oleksiak is gonna be a real solid defender, wouldn't be a bad pick for at 15 at all. Obviously you want guys with offensive upside but you can never really have too many defensive prospects.
The thing is, the projections are SO all over the place that no matter how the draft falls out, you'll be able to make an argument for about 10 different guys as BPA when we pick (barring the ridiculous like a RNH falling to us). At this point, unless the Rangers take a guy who is universally regarded as a 2nd rounder, there is very little chance of the up-in-arms "WTF?" reaction we saw with last year's McIlrath pick.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The thing is, the projections are SO all over the place that no matter how the draft falls out, you'll be able to make an argument for about 10 different guys as BPA when we pick (barring the ridiculous like a RNH falling to us). At this point, unless the Rangers take a guy who is universally regarded as a 2nd rounder, there is very little chance of the up-in-arms "WTF?" reaction we saw with last year's McIlrath pick.
Right, and even though to an outside perspective (most of us) those 10 picks might seem on about the same level, an nhl team has the resources that allow them to dissect every little detail to appropriately rank those players and take the BPA or BPA to suit their needs, no matter how many hairs they might split.

I believe you take what you can out of this draft, being the BPA, and if they deem Oleksiak as the best player on the board, then I would take him. I like the Mcllrath pick and believe he will be an imposing force eventually, but I still believe Tarasenko was the BPA at the time, fowler notwithstanding. I believe future projections/ceilings played a big part in that pick more than anything, and I believe rangers brass watched and evaluated him enough (way more than we ever could) to be worthy of their 10th overall pick. We know Dallas did.

Basically, in Gordie I trust.

Last edited by Noonansgoal: 05-17-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 01:25 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Not doubting his talent, but this organization gets torn apart enough due to the McIlrath pick. I couldn't stand more years of illogical Hugh Jessiman comparisons.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
At this point, unless the Rangers take a guy who is universally regarded as a 2nd rounder, there is very little chance of the up-in-arms "WTF?" reaction we saw with last year's McIlrath pick.
The NYR are proud to select, Brett Ritchie

Old
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The NYR are proud to select, Brett Ritchie
45th overall

Old
05-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
45th overall
No, that will be Joachim Nermark

Old
05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Wouldn't be devastated with Oleksiak. Ice an Oleksiak - McIlrath pairing and the opposing team may need to equip themselves with diapers before the game.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Wouldn't be devastated with Oleksiak. Ice an Oleksiak - McIlrath pairing and the opposing team may need to equip themselves with diapers before the game.
Man, I would be one happy camper.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I wonder if he's on Dallas' radar after missing out on McIlrath. Or, if he's on the board when the Rangers are up at 15, could a call from the Oilers, who pick at 19, and had interest in trading up for McIlrath last year, be forthcoming?

Closed Thread