HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Radulov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-14-2011, 01:28 PM
  #76
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,215
vCash: 500
Well, getting rid of Dumont's contract is pretty easily done with a buy out, but it's a matter of whether or not the team wants to do that to him.

If it were me I would sign SK, let Ward, Goc, O'Reilly, and Sullivan walk, and try to keep SOB at a bit of a pay cut. We have $9.8mil to play with assuming the cap midpoint doesn't change and we aren't willing to live without the second tier of revenue sharing for a season or two. Weber likely takes close to 7mil out of that, so we have $2.8. Re-sign SK to a 2mil dollar, short term deal because either we re-sign him, trade his rights for very little in return, or let him walk. Buy out Dumont, giving us another $4mil. So at that point we would have close to $5mil (remember this is working with this year's cap, which is likely to increase). Try to sign SOB to another short deal worth maybe $1.25mil per year. If that works it will leave us with $3.75mil to play with.

Now the Radulov thing is the kicker. If he is definitely coming back then I wouldn't be opposed to saving that money for either a deadline rent-a-player type deal or saving it to toss at Rads once his last year is up. If we add a forward through trade or free agency and he has any kind of noticeable salary then we are hurting ourselves with the Rinne and Suter talks unless that player is on the last year of his contract. Looking at UFAs in 2012 there really aren't a lot of guys in our price range that wouldn't just be redundant.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 08:00 PM
  #77
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Well, getting rid of Dumont's contract is pretty easily done with a buy out, but it's a matter of whether or not the team wants to do that to him.

If it were me I would sign SK, let Ward, Goc, O'Reilly, and Sullivan walk, and try to keep SOB at a bit of a pay cut. We have $9.8mil to play with assuming the cap midpoint doesn't change and we aren't willing to live without the second tier of revenue sharing for a season or two. Weber likely takes close to 7mil out of that, so we have $2.8. Re-sign SK to a 2mil dollar, short term deal because either we re-sign him, trade his rights for very little in return, or let him walk. Buy out Dumont, giving us another $4mil. So at that point we would have close to $5mil (remember this is working with this year's cap, which is likely to increase). Try to sign SOB to another short deal worth maybe $1.25mil per year. If that works it will leave us with $3.75mil to play with.

Now the Radulov thing is the kicker. If he is definitely coming back then I wouldn't be opposed to saving that money for either a deadline rent-a-player type deal or saving it to toss at Rads once his last year is up. If we add a forward through trade or free agency and he has any kind of noticeable salary then we are hurting ourselves with the Rinne and Suter talks unless that player is on the last year of his contract. Looking at UFAs in 2012 there really aren't a lot of guys in our price range that wouldn't just be redundant.
When we traded for Mike Fisher our budget according everybody except Poile says we don't have the money but Poile said the owners gave him permission to go get Fisher and I wouldn't worry about the money for Weber and Suter and Rinne they are going to get paid like Toews and Kane with Chicago. I wonder is there going to be any left over for the offense

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 03:33 AM
  #78
KillerKampfer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lake Titicaca
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I think your right ....Let's just say that Rad comes back and then Dumont and Sully should be gone that is a given ..given what to do with Dumont last year is the question. Then

Fisher/Hornqvist/Radulov
Wilson/Legwand/Ward/SK
Spaling/Smithson/Halichuk/Tootoo
Geofferion/Tootoo/Sk/Halichuk/Wilson


Weber/Suter
Blum/????/Klein
Josi/Ellis
Bouillion

Should we sign SK or trade him along with O'Reilly/Franson what would that bring?
I think we need a better SOB type veteran who in the 3ml range who can play the physical game and have better defensive skills. Weber and Suter need help and we don't have the physical guys in our system. I would trade Klein and Franson and let the kids fill in other slot along with the Cube and with another D
Lombardi at this point is the unknown factor
I think you need to wait until next year to see the Preds spend any money...BUT...Dumont shouldnt have been scratched this playoffs as much as he was. He played well against Anaheim when he did play (Im not a big fan of JP going forward but hes not a bad or useless player) so I think there might be some clearing the way to trade him to a team like Florida to get them up to the cap floor. After not playing in the playoffs he might actually waive the NTC.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 08:43 AM
  #79
Pattypred
Registered User
 
Pattypred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
As to Rads coming back, I will ONLY believe it when I see him step on Nashville Predators' ice for the first pre-season game.

Until then - nope - he has lied and cheated us.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 04:13 PM
  #80
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,137
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
When we traded for Mike Fisher our budget according everybody except Poile says we don't have the money but Poile said the owners gave him permission to go get Fishier and I wouldn't worry about the money for Weber and Suter and Rinne they are going to get paid like Toews and Kane with Chicago. I wonder is there going to be any left over for the offense
The question is how much more offense can we buy? We thought we had bought 30 goals with hornqvist. We thought we had bought 25 each with erat and legwand. Im sure we thought we had bought 20 to 25 with Lombardi. Im not so sure going out and spending even 4 or 5 mil on one guy would guarantee us more offense. I think we need to replenish our depth by replacing sully and dumont with 2 reliable guys in the 2 million range.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
  #81
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,600
vCash: 500
The guy has all world talent but he jumped ship on you guys so I understand some of the bitterness. Many in Edmonton felt the same way when Pronger wanted out, then again he didn't bail mid contract he simply forced the team to trade him.

If Radulov returns and scores say ... 35 goals the fans will most likely embrace him only to go through a contract haggle next offseason or as others have mentioned a sign and trade

I would look at it this way, he is a premier first line talent and whether he stays or goes Nashville will get some kind of return for trading him/extending his contract.

I think its a good problem to have for you guys.

Wasn't it Arnott that disliked Radulov because of the concussion ?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:40 PM
  #82
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think we need to replenish our depth by replacing sully and dumont with 2 reliable guys in the 2 million range.
Where are they going to play? Right now, I've got a lineup looking something like this:

Hornqvist-Fisher-Kostitsyn
Erat-Legwand-???
Wilson-Geoffrion-Halischuk
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo
O'Reilly

O'Reilly is likely trade bait after the way Geoffrion played down the stretch, but even then, we still only have one hole in our everyday lineup, and that's assuming Lombardi isn't healthy AND Dumont is traded or bought out AND Radulov remains in Ufa AND we don't retain Ward.

We simply don't have the space to make a big play in free agency. If a trade opens up, that's different, but most of our FA signings will be guys for Milwaukee.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:46 PM
  #83
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
The guy has all world talent but he jumped ship on you guys so I understand some of the bitterness. Many in Edmonton felt the same way when Pronger wanted out, then again he didn't bail mid contract he simply forced the team to trade him.

If Radulov returns and scores say ... 35 goals the fans will most likely embrace him only to go through a contract haggle next offseason or as others have mentioned a sign and trade

I would look at it this way, he is a premier first line talent and whether he stays or goes Nashville will get some kind of return for trading him/extending his contract.

I think its a good problem to have for you guys.

Wasn't it Arnott that disliked Radulov because of the concussion ?
I think most reasonable fans would welcome Radulov back. He did a cruddy thing, but I for one chalk it up to bad advice and youthful mistakes. From Pekka Rinne's quotes, it sounds like there's no ill will remaining in the locker room, either.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:49 PM
  #84
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Where are they going to play? Right now, I've got a lineup looking something like this:

Hornqvist-Fisher-Kostitsyn
Erat-Legwand-???
Wilson-Geoffrion-Halischuk
Spaling-Smithson-Tootoo
O'Reilly

O'Reilly is likely trade bait after the way Geoffrion played down the stretch, but even then, we still only have one hole in our everyday lineup, and that's assuming Lombardi isn't healthy AND Dumont is traded or bought out AND Radulov remains in Ufa AND we don't retain Ward.

We simply don't have the space to make a big play in free agency. If a trade opens up, that's different, but most of our FA signings will be guys for Milwaukee.
I think if Geoffrion is ever going to be more than another Spaling\Halischuk, he needs to spend some more time in Milwaukee rounding out his offensive game. There's simply no reason to rush him, and after a hot start, he sort of faded into oblivion. I would like to see Halischuk even get some more time with the Ads working on the same, but understand that his lot has likely been cast.

Just saying, with all of the fuss that's been made by not only fans, but Weber and to some extent, Poile, you can't really shy away from adding scoring to your team because you're worried it will displace Matt Halischuk...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:30 PM
  #85
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,087
vCash: 500
Wait is it Ra-doo-lov or Rad-jew-lov?

Sometimes there's a J in there, like "module" and "schedule". I've heard him called both, so I'm not sure which is correct.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:41 PM
  #86
KaraLupin
카라
 
KaraLupin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Some of you are under-estimating just what kind of player Radulov has evolved into in such a short period of time. He has bought into his coaching staff in Salavat and is very versatile compared to his time in Nashville. He would easily be the best forward on Nashville.

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:52 PM
  #87
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think if Geoffrion is ever going to be more than another Spaling\Halischuk, he needs to spend some more time in Milwaukee rounding out his offensive game. There's simply no reason to rush him, and after a hot start, he sort of faded into oblivion. I would like to see Halischuk even get some more time with the Ads working on the same, but understand that his lot has likely been cast.
Geoffrion I could see, since O'Reilly never really got healthy and Bam-Bam was played as much out of necessity as anything, but Halischuk has earned his spot. He played at a 36 point pace, which is about what Wilson put up with an extra three minutes of average ice time. He doesn't have Wilson's tremendous offensive potential, but the guy has the ability to be a consistent 40-45 point contributor, and I would much rather pay him $950k than pay $2.55M for a guy like Curtis Glencross.

We unquestionably have the assets to make a trade, and Dumont could potentially free up some cash for us, but unless Simon Gagne is willing to take a dramatic pay cut, there just aren't any good buys out there in the free agent market for us to try to fix our scoring problems, and throwing money at an inconsistent player like Ryder or a glorified grinder like Upshall is only going to be a marginal improvement, if it's an improvement at all.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:15 AM
  #88
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Geoffrion has more goal scoring upside than Halischuk. If Halischuk scores 45 points I'll eat my hat trick. But Hals seems to be a solid utility player with some offense. And he does hustle. It'll be a fight for NHL roster spots in camp with guys proven to be able to hack it. Nice problem to have.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:44 AM
  #89
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,703
vCash: 500
Who?

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
  #90
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,462
vCash: 500
WOF has a point. Even if we let most of our free agents walk, Goc/Ward/Sullivan, buyout Dumont, and let Lombardi remain on IR. There is still only one spot open our top 6, and this spot was intended for Wilson in Poile's master plan. We can rightly criticize the roster building of Poile in regards to the forward corps, but he has planned for the emergence of the talent on this team to replace those that depart. If we want to improve this offense in a big way, I think it is dependent on Radulov coming back OR trading one of our top 6. As I mentioned before, Hornqvist is out - his style of play is too important. SK is going to be too cheap and too dynamic to move. He sucked in round 2, but over the regular season, he was our best offensive forward. Legwand will stay due to his position and intricacy to the Predator style of play. Fisher fits the team like a glove, and he will either slide up into the top 6 or slide down to a super third line. Wilson is young and cheap, and he should only be moved in a trade to acquire a final piece to a puzzle. Erat is the most movable IMO. He has value around the league. He played exceptional hockey until being shutdown in the second round. Off-setting his salary and trading him would be the most likely scenario of upgrading our offense with in the current configuration I believe. I'm not saying we should do this, and I doubt we will.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:45 AM
  #91
PredDave
Registered User
 
PredDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Wait is it Ra-doo-lov or Rad-jew-lov?

Sometimes there's a J in there, like "module" and "schedule". I've heard him called both, so I'm not sure which is correct.
I've heard fans call him Rad-yew-love, too (Tennessee accent). hehehe

I would think traditional Russian pronunciation would be: Rahh-doo-loff

Anyone disagree?

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:51 AM
  #92
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon
 
PredaDORES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
I've heard fans call him Rad-yew-love, too (Tennessee accent). hehehe

I would think traditional Russian pronunciation would be: Rahh-doo-loff

Anyone disagree?

I was under the impression that Rad-Duh-Lov was correct.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
  #93
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Argentina
Posts: 23,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
I've heard fans call him Rad-yew-love, too (Tennessee accent). hehehe

I would think traditional Russian pronunciation would be: Rah-DOO-lov

Anyone disagree?
that is correct

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:04 PM
  #94
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
WOF has a point. Even if we let most of our free agents walk, Goc/Ward/Sullivan, buyout Dumont, and let Lombardi remain on IR. There is still only one spot open our top 6, and this spot was intended for Wilson in Poile's master plan. We can rightly criticize the roster building of Poile in regards to the forward corps, but he has planned for the emergence of the talent on this team to replace those that depart. If we want to improve this offense in a big way, I think it is dependent on Radulov coming back OR trading one of our top 6. As I mentioned before, Hornqvist is out - his style of play is too important. SK is going to be too cheap and too dynamic to move. He sucked in round 2, but over the regular season, he was our best offensive forward. Legwand will stay due to his position and intricacy to the Predator style of play. Fisher fits the team like a glove, and he will either slide up into the top 6 or slide down to a super third line. Wilson is young and cheap, and he should only be moved in a trade to acquire a final piece to a puzzle. Erat is the most movable IMO. He has value around the league. He played exceptional hockey until being shutdown in the second round. Off-setting his salary and trading him would be the most likely scenario of upgrading our offense with in the current configuration I believe. I'm not saying we should do this, and I doubt we will.
I for the most part agree with you but I think Poile will bring back Ward because he likes it here and Trotz likes him. Ward won't cost that much.Ward and Legwand were on the checking line most of the year and their numbers reflect it. Legwand was the first to move to a scoring line and when Ward was moved to a scoring line that was our best line down the stretch and through the playoffs. Erat for having the most points was up and down due to injuries and doesn't score when given great chances. Erat was with Sk and couldn't finish most of his chances and then he got moved to the Leggy/Ward line. Sk is the enigma because he was our best scorer over the season but at the end he tailed off and didn't score a goal in the playoffs. The juggling for most of the season affected Hornqvist and dropoff from 30 goals to 21 was to be expected. I would try to move Erat because he never comes up big in big games. We simply need a legit scorer whether that be Radulov or somebody else then maybe we can play real hockey like Daniel Sedin said in post game analysis of the series versus the Nucks.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:08 PM
  #95
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
I've heard fans call him Rad-yew-love, too (Tennessee accent). hehehe

I would think traditional Russian pronunciation would be: Rahh-doo-loff

Anyone disagree?
Thank you sir

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:43 PM
  #96
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,001
vCash: 500
according to poster "Zine," a spokesman for Ufa's funding says that they will not pull any money back, and that Radulov has promised to stay for at least the year.

I haven't seen any sort of reputable outlet report that just yet, but just putting that out there.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:14 PM
  #97
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,215
vCash: 500
There is also a thread in the KHL subforum about the situation in which a few Russian posters have said the same thing. One presented a link, but the story is in Russian.

Not to be "that guy" who is still stuck in the Cold War or anything, but I have a hard time believing much of anything coming out from the Russian media surrounding something like this. The team has plenty of reason to lie in order to save face. The sponsors do, too. The local government does, too, in all honesty. And by the way, I'm 26 so I wasn't even alive for the height of the Russia hating, and by the time I was old enough to know what was going on we had moved on to hating Iraq.

To qualify that a bit, I have a hard time believing anything that comes out of Radulov's mouth, too, so I'm not getting my hopes up for anything at all

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:12 PM
  #98
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
There is also a thread in the KHL subforum about the situation in which a few Russian posters have said the same thing. One presented a link, but the story is in Russian.

Not to be "that guy" who is still stuck in the Cold War or anything, but I have a hard time believing much of anything coming out from the Russian media surrounding something like this. The team has plenty of reason to lie in order to save face. The sponsors do, too. The local government does, too, in all honesty. And by the way, I'm 26 so I wasn't even alive for the height of the Russia hating, and by the time I was old enough to know what was going on we had moved on to hating Iraq.

To qualify that a bit, I have a hard time believing anything that comes out of Radulov's mouth, too, so I'm not getting my hopes up for anything at all
Similar age, and I also don't think you can trust much of what comes out Radulov or the Russian government and by extension its heavily subsidized KHL teams. Radulov appears to play to his audience, and Russia is considered more corrupt than most of Africa (generally considered the most corrupt continent by a landslide) according to the Corruption Perception Index.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
  #99
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,215
vCash: 500
Yeah... every time I hear a news story out of Russia that contradicts something I heard in our own media I'm pretty skeptical, but I'd imagine it's the same in other countries when they hear news out of the US that contradicts something they've read or heard locally. I don't hate Russia, I just don't trust them to actually be truthful with something important so why would they be truthful with something so minor as a hockey player/team?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 03:22 PM
  #100
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
WOF has a point. Even if we let most of our free agents walk, Goc/Ward/Sullivan, buyout Dumont, and let Lombardi remain on IR. There is still only one spot open our top 6, and this spot was intended for Wilson in Poile's master plan.
I mostly agree but not quite. This team will need Wilson in the top 6 and performing, if we want to advance. I'd also say we aren't a contender until Hornqvist (like Ward)is out of our Top 6. He is an extremely useful player and a fierce competitor but he is not Top 6 on a Nashville cup contending team. He would be perfect for a 3rd line and PP duties, with Goc centering him and contributing to the PK.

In short, Ward and Horny out, Wilson and ________ in. And SK is not a requirement for the Top 6 but that's a different post.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.