Notices

What happens with Gaborik now?

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2003, 01:31 PM
DW

vCash: 500
What happens with Gaborik now?

Geez, after reading this mornings Star Tribune, I wonder what's going to happen with him? I guess we have to wait and see in the next few weeks on Gaboriks camp which direction he goes. If Gaborik has any clue on what's going on with these negotiations, it would look very bleek for him to sign in the near future. Would we end up trading him if this drags on into midseason? I would love for the Wild to just let him sit forever, but he is the single biggest asset this team has. I can't believe we would waste him by not getting something for him. And I don't mean just dumping him for the sake of dumping him either. Would you trade him? If so, When?

I'm really hoping there is some significant dis-information going on in Gaborik's camp. I think we should have a pretty good idea what's going to happen in the up-comping weeks. I'm really stunned on the numbers being thrown around here.

Old
10-12-2003, 07:31 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW
Geez, after reading this mornings Star Tribune, I wonder what's going to happen with him? I guess we have to wait and see in the next few weeks on Gaboriks camp which direction he goes. If Gaborik has any clue on what's going on with these negotiations, it would look very bleek for him to sign in the near future. Would we end up trading him if this drags on into midseason? I would love for the Wild to just let him sit forever, but he is the single biggest asset this team has. I can't believe we would waste him by not getting something for him. And I don't mean just dumping him for the sake of dumping him either. Would you trade him? If so, When?

I'm really hoping there is some significant dis-information going on in Gaborik's camp. I think we should have a pretty good idea what's going to happen in the up-comping weeks. I'm really stunned on the numbers being thrown around here.
If Gabby's not signed by the end of next week, I don't expect him to be signed at all this season. ;(

Just my hunch.

Old
10-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Dan-o

I agree with Ceber. I see a couple of possibilities.

1. Risebrough's hunch proves correct and Gabby doesn't know the actual details. Supposedly, Gabby has told Slovakian newspapapers that he only wants $3.5 million per year. If Gabby doesn't know the details, he'll sign early this week. Personally, I think this is very unlikely.

2. Gabby realizes that he's about to lose his ENTIRE fan base, dumps Walsh, signs the deal and then pretends that he didn't know the contract details.

3. Gabby knows exactly what is going on and he doesn't sign. Right now he wants double what the Wild are offering. They won't be able to negotiate that to a mutually agreeable amount. It's not possible. If that's the case, I'd say 50-50 that he's done playing with the Wild. Look at Peca. He held out for a year, burned his bridges with the Sabres and their fans, lost all love for the organization and was traded. Sure, money was a factor but that's not the entire reason he was dealt.

I think we'll know everything by the end of next week, that should be all the time he needs to sign if he's oblivious to the details. I honestly don't know what will happen. I don't even have a gut feeling yet.

But I can tell you this. If it turns out that Gabby knows the details, approved of Walsh's contract demands and knowingly refused the Wild's current offer, I'm having Gabby's name and number removed from my Wild jersey. I won't care whether he returns to the ice for the Wild in 2005 or not.

Old
10-13-2003, 08:56 AM
ceber

Reports are that Gaborik has asked to have a different guy (Schatia) from Walsh's firm start handling the negotiations. Not a complete and total change, but a change.

That sound you heard was Gabby blinking.

According to a Slovakian (or a guy who can read Slovak) poster on the wild.com boards, Gaborik said that 6.5 was the initial number they started negotiations with.

http://hokej.point.sk/spravy/?id=24700

Old
10-13-2003, 09:14 AM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Reports are that Gaborik has asked to have a different guy (Schatia) from Walsh's firm start handling the negotiations. Not a complete and total change, but a change.

That sound you heard was Gabby blinking.

According to a Slovakian (or a guy who can read Slovak) poster on the wild.com boards, Gaborik said that 6.5 was the initial number they started negotiations with.

http://hokej.point.sk/spravy/?id=24700

here is what is there writen:

I was not satisfied how the negotiations were going and then I made some precautions in terms of my representatives. Schatie will be in charge while walsh will be his partner since they work together. The most important thing form me is to play hockey. By that change I want to show to wild management that I am flexible. I don’t like the article published medias in minesota and that’s why I promoted schatie to my agent I wasn’t satisfied with statements of wild organization as well. I admit that it is sort of strategy from wild side.
The 6.5 mil published by media gaborik didn’t deny. He said that was initial requirement which walsh came with. Requirements we come with are flexible and negotiations are about compromises. I do believe that agreement will be done soon. First wild offer was unacceptable for me. I can evaluate myself and under certain value I will not go.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:17 AM
ceber

update:
Couple of translations from the wild.com boards:

Quote:
the article says that gaborik wants to come back to the negotiations, he changed the manager after the article on startribune.com.

Gaborik says:" I was not satisfied with the negootiations and because of this i changed my agent. I didnīt break up with walsh (hahahaha - this is me). Walsh and Schatia are partners and they took together the negotiations. The main word will take schatia. I just wanted a new impulse.

For me is the most important think to play hockey, with my decision to change my agent i wanted to show to the wild management, that my position is flexible. I didnīt like the article in min. media, and therefore came the change. I also was not amused about the statements of the wild representatives, but i think they made it because of their strategy.

the salery of 6.5 mil/year he didnīt want to subvert, but he mentioned that it was his first call (or demand), which offered walsh.

The sum is flexible and negotiations are about compromise. I believe that we make an agreement soon. The first offer of min i couldnīt take. Under a certain limit i wonīt fall. It will be good if both sides will be satisfied.
and

Quote:
The main word in the contract negotiations wont have Allan Walsh, but his partner David Schatia. The change happened after the article on the server www.startribune.com about the negotiations.

" I wasnt happy with the negotiations, so I made changes. I didnt dump Allan Walsh. walsh and Schatia are partners. The main word will now have Schatia. For me the most important thing is to play hockey. With my decision I wanted to show the managment taht my position is also flexible. I didnt like the article in the Minnesota newspapers and even for that I made the change. I didnt even like the things the managment said. I admit that the managment also has a strategy."

The contract what the media have shown (6.5$ mil) Gaborik didnt want to reject. He admited that it was the first offer, which Walsh showed to the managment.

" The offer which we made is flexible and we can make compromises. I believe we will agree on a contract soon. I couldnt accept the first offer from Minnesota. I can estimate my price and I wont go down under a certain level. It will be good when both sides will agree".
I dunno.. sounds to me like he still wants too much money.

Old
10-13-2003, 09:26 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-e
here is what is there writen:
Thanks, e-e!

So now, the question is, when Gaborik refers to the "first" offer, is he referring to the offer the wild gave that was like Hossa's, et. al. post-rookie contracts, or was he referring to the Sept. 10th contract? I'm guessing he means the first one, and I'm hoping the second is more palatable for Gabby.

Old
10-13-2003, 10:06 AM
SchultzWild10

He must be talking about the one that was like Hossa's. It was a little low. The second offer the Wild made is fair.

Old
10-13-2003, 12:55 PM
GaborikRules10!!!

That 3 year deal for 9.5 million is a pretty fair deal. Hopefully Gabby takes it ands here soon. From the quotes it really sounds like Gabby wants to get back with the club.

Old
10-14-2003, 04:30 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Taking Walsh off the case is definitely a plus - his protests sounded pretty shrill after DR made his numbers public. This is good news in and of itself

Old
10-14-2003, 05:12 AM
evegoe

Hvlat gave in... Gabby next?

I'm not sure how Walsh's clients feel... but I think he's probably pushing the contracts too fast and too hard. I think Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press had a nice article highlighting his hardline tactics. He sometimes doesn't even respond to contract offers. I think if the CBA wasn't expiring next year he might have more pull, but with a lockout/cap/tax looming teams are pretty leary about signing big time deals.

http://www.canada.com/ottawa/sports/...2-51E0AE587099

While there were smiles all around yesterday, Havlat said there had been countless tense moments during the often bitter negotiations between the Senators and his agents, Allan Walsh and David Schatia.

In dramatic style, the deal was completed with Havlat sitting beside Walsh inside a Montreal airport terminal. If he boarded his scheduled flight home to the Czech Republic, Havlat could have been gone for the season.

http://slam.ca/Slam031012/nhl_ott1-sun.html

"This is about getting back playing," Havlat told the Sun last night from the Montreal office of agents Allan Walsh and David Schatia. "I want to put everything that happened behind me and just get back in there on the ice.

"I'm happy with the deal. It's good for both sides. I couldn't have sat all year. That would have been tough. I want to get in there and help this team win a Stanley Cup. That's what this is all about. I want to be back with my teammates because this should be a fun year."

Havlat was packed to go home after talks initially fell apart at 3 p.m., when the Senators refused to budge from a one-year, $1.5-million offer. But he halted those plans when last- ditch discussions brought an agreement.

Walsh said the deal is fair for both sides. [He was trying to get a two-year $4.7 million deal]

"Both sides worked very hard to get this done. We both made compromises to make this happen," said Walsh. "He wants to get back in there and help them win a Stanley Cup. That's why we worked hard to make this happen.

"We're happy that Martin Havlat is able to get back playing hockey because that's what he loves to do most. He wanted to be in Ottawa this season and we just needed to come up with a way where both sides felt they were getting fair market value. We like this deal."

Old
10-14-2003, 05:14 AM
evegoe

BTW Havlat signed Saturday...

... a one-year contract with the Senators worth approximately $1.6 million U.S., plus bonuses.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:27 AM
ceber

Sounds like Havlat gave up more than the team did to reach an agreement. Hopefully Gabby will, too. I can't imagine the team would move much beyond their latest offer. Gaborik would still be one of the highest paid guys ever in his situation. Not too shabby.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:13 AM
Dan-o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Sounds like Havlat gave up more than the team did to reach an agreement. Hopefully Gabby will, too. I can't imagine the team would move much beyond their latest offer. Gaborik would still be one of the highest paid guys ever in his situation. Not too shabby.
No kidding!!! If the article is accurate, Havlat wanted about $2.35 million per year. The Sens refused to budge from their offer of $1.5 million for one year. Where did they end up? $1.6 million. And now Walsh is talking about how happy they are. Congratulations, you just earned another $100,000.

The hilarious thing is that Havlat's salary averages to just under $20,000 per game. He's missed three games because of his holdout. Say goodbye to $60,000 of the $100,000 you held out to get.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:27 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
I heard that Gab was unhappy and gave power to one of Walshes partners.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:35 PM
pepchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher
I heard that Gab was unhappy and gave power to one of Walshes partners.
Nothing more than a PR tactic. His agents probably set it up themselves.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:17 PM
wildslip

I would have to say Gaborik is goingt o sign by the end of the month with the new agent. Have any of you heard anything on dupuis? Who out there think park could be a 30 goal scorer??

Old
10-16-2003, 01:19 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildslip
I would have to say Gaborik is goingt o sign by the end of the month with the new agent. Have any of you heard anything on dupuis? Who out there think park could be a 30 goal scorer??
It is not a new agent, but a partner of Walsh that was his partner from the beginning of the negotiating. Now, according to Gaborik, instead of Walsh, Schatia will be the one trying to suqeeze out the last penny.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:13 AM
CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Yeah, the switch in agents could end up meaning very little. It all depends on Maid Marian really.

If he truly was dissatisfied with how Walsh was doing things and he ends up taking charge in an effort to see NHL ice this year, the contract could be hammered out before the end of the month. That's especially the case if the rumor/report that Gabby is coming to town to speak in person w/ Risebrough and company is true.

On the other hand, if Walsh's tactics and efforts were indeed a resultant of Maid Marian's viewpoint on his value (avg 6.5 mil) then we're likely not to see Gaborik for at least a year.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Bouchard in a couple years.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:51 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CechMY5HOLEman-ek!
On the other hand, if Walsh's tactics and efforts were indeed a resultant of Maid Marian's viewpoint on his value (avg 6.5 mil) then we're likely not to see Gaborik for at least a year.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Bouchard in a couple years.
If Gaborik's still sitting in Slovakia at that time, I think it may have an effect on Bouchard's strategy.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:52 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing
If Gaborik's still sitting in Slovakia at that time, I think it may have an effect on Bouchard's strategy.
It will be time to hand things over to a third partner/negotiator then.

Closed Thread