HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate Weber's first season as captain (again).

Old
05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Firestorm

vCash: 500
Rate Weber's first season as captain (again).

I think he's certainly an upgrade over the last guy. Weber led by example, scoring one of the biggest playoff goals in Predators history (the tying goal in Game 5 against ANA). He took us to the second round.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 08:26 AM
kakemono

Better than Timonen.

Do I even mention that guy who filled in between Timonen and Weber?

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 09:55 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Best captain we'll ever have. Book it

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 10:56 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 11:37 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I thought at the beginning of the season they made a mistake they should have named Suter. During the season my opinion didn't change. But during the playoffs was a solid rock all the way through both series. He stepped up and now we finally have the leader we've waiting for. He's already called out Poile saying the defense is not enough. He's thinking of the team

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 12:17 AM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
I think he's certainly an upgrade over the last guy. Weber led by example, scoring one of the biggest playoff goals in Predators history (the tying goal in Game 5 against ANA). He took us to the second round.
I have to agree with you. I don't think it was an accident that the Preds finally won a playoff series.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

He's Shea ****in Weber. I'm not even worthy of rating him.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2011, 01:17 AM
cleangene

Let's see, played in all 82 regular season games, tied for 2nd most overall points on the team which finally made it past the first round of the playoffs...I think that's a pretty good way to start being a captain of a team (plus, doing all of what he did the first year after his mom's death makes his work even MORE admirable).

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:33 AM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

The man has swagger and has the skills to back it up. I give him an A.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Machinehead
Purple Hayes

Doesn't giving Weber an A kinda defeat the whole purpose?

After getting a C on your jersey, an A is like a demotion.

I vote for number ratings instead.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Pattypred

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I'd rate Captain Shea Freakin' Weber an 8.

I chose the 8 simply because we didn't get out of the 2nd round and I just can't give a 10 for the first year.

I truly believe that next year he and the team will be even better.

Go Preds!!!!

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Doesn't giving Weber an A kinda defeat the whole purpose?

After getting a C on your jersey, an A is like a demotion.

I vote for number ratings instead.
He meant A as in the grade A

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:48 AM
kakemono

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
He meant A as in the grade A
No, he meant Weber's beard should be an assistant captain.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I thought that Johnson and Timonen were more "de facto" captains in that there was no one else as veteran or experienced at the time. I don't particularly think their leadership made them the best choice.

Arnott was a headscratcher even at the time, and I don't think it would have gone to him over Sullivan, had Sullivan been healthy at the time. At any rate, it turned out to be a bad choice.

Weber, in his first year, has said and done everything right, and the results have shown themselves in the form of a series of franchise "firsts."

I don't think there's a grade that adequately sums up how happy I am with Weber's first season as captain.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:45 PM
predfan24

There are different type of captains. Webs isn't a rah-rah guy he is a lead by example type of guy. Considering how resilient this team was all year, that reflects on leadership. Weber and Suter are probably the two most consistent players we have and others followed suit.

It's night and day when you compare Weber's leadership from effort on the the ice to Arnotts.

He might not give you a epic intermission speech but he doesn't have too cause he's Shea freaking Weber. All he has to do is give you the evil eyes and that's a speech all of it's own.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:48 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
There are different type of captains. Webs isn't a rah-rah guy he is a lead by example type of guy. Considering how resilient this team was all year, that reflects on leadership. Weber and Suter are probably the two most consistent players we have and others followed suit.

It's night and day when you compare Weber's leadership from effort on the the ice to Arnotts.

He might not give you a epic intermission speech but he doesn't have too cause he's Shea freaking Weber. All he has to do is give you the evil eyes and that's a speech all of it's own.
From what I've heard, Arnott wasn't an "epic speechgiver" either. He was more of a "pout at his locker" captain.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:54 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
From what I've heard, Arnott wasn't an "epic speechgiver" either. He was more of a "pout at his locker" captain.
I truly don't doubt that at all. From what I gathered during his time here. He's a decent guy, but that's just his personality. Doesn't make for a good leader.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
dulzhok

Who the heck knows?

Had we lost 2 more games in the regular season and not made the playoffs, I doubt everyone would be putting Weber on a pedestal.

Even in that case, you can't really judge Weber's captaincy unless you are in the locker room every night , eat meals with the team, and listen in on their phone conversations. I love the Arnott generalizations being thrown around-- pouts at his locker every night?

People often confuse captain with coach.

These guys are the highest paid in their profession, and they shouldn't need anyone to motivate them to earn their 4 million dollar salary. If any of our players doesn't play as hard as they should because of who's wearing where a freakin' C on their chest, that's more a reflection on that player than the captain.

Last edited by dulzhok: 05-17-2011 at 01:10 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Who the heck knows?

Had we lost 2 more games in the regular season and not made the playoffs, I doubt everyone would be putting Weber on a pedestal.

Even in that case, you can't really judge Weber's captaincy unless you are in the locker room every night , eat meals with the team, and listen in on their phone conversations. I love the Arnott generalizations being thrown around-- pouts at his locker every night?

These guys are the highest paid in their profession, and they shouldn't need anyone to motivate them to earn their 4 million dollar salary. If any of our players doesn't play as hard as they should because of who's wearing where a freakin' C on their chest, that's more a reflection on that player than the captain.
That characterization of Arnott came directly from Trotz. That's not just speculative, Joe Nobody armchair coach thoughts.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:29 PM
dulzhok

Trotz said Arnott pouts at his locker every night?

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:31 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Just because they make a lot of money doesn't mean they're not human. Everyone has good days and bad. Maybe the player had an argument with their wife. Maybe the kids are very sick. A mother dies. Or, as we've seen, a baby is born and a better performance occurs.

I'm not saying they shouldn't work hard for their money but they are human and subject to the same stresses and changes outside the rink as everyone else is.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
predfan24

Quote:
Who the heck knows?

Sounds good in theory but anybody that watches sports in general know this statement just isn't true.

Old
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Trotz said Arnott pouts at his locker every night?
More or less. This was directly to me and my wife in a "off the record" sort of way, mind you. Any illusions of "we wanted to keep Jason, but he wanted to move on if we couldn't commit to re-signing him prior to the season" were lip service. He was very much pushed out.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
predfan24

At the very least as captain you have to lead by example. During Arnott's last two years here at times his effort was borderline pathetic. Compare that to Weber who makes no excuses and brings it consistently. If you are a player and Arnott comes into the lockerroom and calls you out for not playing hard I know I would be rolling my eyes.

There is truth to the belief that unless you are in the lockerroom you can't know for sure how player X is acting or perceived by the team. That being said my opinion of Arnott in that area is made from what I've seen and heard in the media and heard from people "close" to the team. The stuff I've heard are rumors and my opinion is based merely on speculation but in this case I do subscribe to the "If there is smoke" theory. I know several people who work for the Preds who give me juicy stuff and admittedly not all their info is good. But I can honestly say I heard tons of negative stuff on Arnott. Most of it led me to believe that he wasn't a bad person, he just had his own personality and that personality was not suited to be a leader.

The ultimate strike against Arnott came when he was actually traded. Teams don't trade their captains barring extenuating circumstances if they are happy with their performance.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Everlong
-

Hard to know what goes on behind closed doors, and even more difficult for fans like us to give him a leadership grade from our perspective. Still, I love Weber's intimidation that he brings. Never stressed, never feels like the team is out of a game, and that helps boost morale. Throw in a game changing hit or shot from the point and I think he's done as much as one could ask of him. From what I gather he wants to stay and lead this group to a cup. 9/10

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote