HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky's flaws are easily correctable

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
JABEE

vCash: 500
Bobrovsky's flaws are easily correctable

Justin Goldman of the Goalie Guild wrote an article about Bobrovsky during the first round of the playoffs talking about correcting Bobrovsky's stance in the net. I'm not sure if it has been posted yet, but I found it interesting. It seems that he thinks Bobrovsky can improve by making these adjustments.
Quote:
But if Bobrovsky can make a couple of simple adjustments, he will appear bigger in the net and take better advantage of his frame.

He can do this by narrowing his wide stance and then straightening his back. It doesn't happen overnight, but these gradual adjustments will cause him to appear bigger and taller, both in the butterfly and up on his skates.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560520

Old
05-17-2011, 12:35 PM
MsWoof

Denis Potvin compared him to a cobra because of the way he pounced out at the puck. I don't like how it makes him look smaller and would prefer it if he stood up a bit straighter to take the spaces above his shoulders away.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Justin Goldman of the Goalie Guild wrote an article about Bobrovsky during the first round of the playoffs talking about correcting Bobrovsky's stance in the net. I'm not sure if it has been posted yet, but I found it interesting. It seems that he thinks Bobrovsky can improve by making these adjustments.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560520
As in he just have to stand more tall than he is and be less collapse-y? I'm sure Reese can help him with that in the off-season/training camp.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:45 PM
BernieParent

I agree that Bob's style can be corrected, but I'm not so sure about the word "easily". If Reese stands him up taller, that will affect his lateral movement, which is one of Bob's strengths. It's not just trapper positioning. Unlearning things as basic as stance without a major drop in other abilities can take a lot of time and patience.

Alternatively, they could put 2-foot earflaps on either side of his goalie mask.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Denis Potvin compared him to a cobra because of the way he pounced out at the puck. I don't like how it makes him look smaller and would prefer it if he stood up a bit straighter to take the spaces above his shoulders away.
This...he leaves SO MUCH DAMNED SPACE in the corners to shoot at. His life would be easier if he didn't do that.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
JABEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I agree that Bob's style can be corrected, but I'm not so sure about the word "easily". If Reese stands him up taller, that will affect his lateral movement, which is one of Bob's strengths. It's not just trapper positioning. Unlearning things as basic as stance without a major drop in other abilities can take a lot of time and patience.

Alternatively, they could put 2-foot earflaps on either side of his goalie mask.
I think if you get a good goalie in here to take the pressure off Bobrovsky he could work on it and become better. I'm sure they are already working on it over the summer too.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:14 PM
SgtJoseph

If BOB would can learn to use a stand up style of net minding when the opposition is shooting from bad angles that will solve about 80% of his minor flaws.....It is almost rediculous seeing goalies who have the angle already covered going down and then leaving the upper shortside wide open....There is certainly a time to use the butterfly, but not at bad angles.And if a goalie must use the butterfly, he must not drop too soon, this is a major flaw that NHL shooters take full advantage of.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:31 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I don't think it's an easy fix. I think the Flyers should let him spend a season in the AHL. Play 60 games working on his techniques because i don't think it's an off season type of adjustment.

Sign a #1 goalie and resign Boucher for @ 800,000-900,000 as a backup.

It's not like Bob was getting beat by snipers in the corners. Rob Neidermeyer, Boychuck.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

He also needs to get better at puck handling, rebound control, and positioning (especially when he's flopping around).

Old
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
He also needs to get better at puck handling, rebound control, and positioning (especially when he's flopping around).
His puck handling skill has gone up a ton for just one year, his rebound control is better than Boosh's, but could be better. His flopping is a bit much, but it shows he really wants to stop the puck.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I think now that Bobo has an off season to take his time, reflect and watch videos, he can easily improve on a lot of his weaknesses.

I really do hope he can play at least 30 games next year, he will need reps.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Well repetition, recognition, experience and experimentation are the keys for any young goalie, no one is going to master it all right away.

A little more of a hybrid style would help, I think SgtJoseph was pretty much spot on with his suggestion there to make the easy saves, well, easy.

His movement side to side is strong but his north/south sense is not there yet IMO, sometimes he gets caught inbetween challenging and playing deep.

Too much wasted motion, too, that gets him diving around in there and kicking out rebounds. To me positioning and rebound control are almost totally overlapping, when do you see a guy with sound positioning who has rebound control issues? Pretty much never. Maybe if he has conditioning problems they will create rebound difficulty, that's about it.

05-17-2011, 01:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Well repetition, recognition, experience and experimentation are the keys for any young goalie, no one is going to master it all right away.

A little more of a hybrid style would help, I think SgtJoseph was pretty much spot on with his suggestion there to make the easy saves, well, easy.

His movement side to side is strong but his north/south sense is not there yet IMO, sometimes he gets caught inbetween challenging and playing deep.

Too much wasted motion, too, that gets him diving around in there and kicking out rebounds. To me positioning and rebound control are almost totally overlapping, when do you see a guy with sound positioning who has rebound control issues? Pretty much never. Maybe if he has conditioning problems they will create rebound difficulty, that's about it.
I think Bob is a very fast learner though, but yeah, not everything can be done in one season.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Cartsiephan*

This is precisely why Bobrovsky is still 2-3 years from being an NHL goalie and why Bryzgalov needs to be priority #1 once 7/1 deadline hits.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I think now that Bobo has an off season to take his time, reflect and watch videos, he can easily improve on a lot of his weaknesses.

I really do hope he can play at least 30 games next year, he will need reps.
He needs a full season in the AHL, period. His development is two-fold: technique and confidence.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lets just see a few things.

1. Bob has never had a goaltending coach. Everything he's learnt has been on his own back. If that's not dedication I don't know what is.

2. Jeff Reese has created Leighton into a goalie that was capable of helping out a team for a short while.

3. Bob is incredibly competative.

4. Bob looks like a completly different goaltender handling the puck to the start of the season.

5. Bob didn't understand a word of english at the start of the season.

6. His girlfriend is stuck in another country due to visa issues.

Bob is going to be a very good goaltender. To put up the numbers he did with the flaws in his game was incredible. He's already a very well liked player in the team. Just his general manner outside of the rink, he looks much more comfortable around the players on the team. He also seems to have a pretty good sense of humour. I can't wait to see how this kid is going to turn out next season.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lets just see a few things.

1. Bob has never had a goaltending coach. Everything he's learnt has been on his own back. If that's not dedication I don't know what is.

2. Jeff Reese has created Leighton into a goalie that was capable of helping out a team for a short while.

3. Bob is incredibly competative.

4. Bob looks like a completly different goaltender handling the puck to the start of the season.

5. Bob didn't understand a word of english at the start of the season.

6. His girlfriend is stuck in another country due to visa issues.

Bob is going to be a very good goaltender. To put up the numbers he did with the flaws in his game was incredible. He's already a very well liked player in the team. Just his general manner outside of the rink, he looks much more comfortable around the players on the team. He also seems to have a pretty good sense of humour. I can't wait to see how this kid is going to turn out next season.

Bobrovsky cannot be relied on to be the guy this year, but at the same time he need the reps. This is going to be the time where the organization invests in a goalie and have some patience to groom him into a legit NHL starter. This is going to take a couple years.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
If Bob makes the adjustments that that article is quoted as saying it also should put more of the weight on the heels of his skates, which usually helps get the pads down in the ice faster and makes it easier to keep the knees together.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
If BOB would can learn to use a stand up style of net minding when the opposition is shooting from bad angles that will solve about 80% of his minor flaws.....It is almost rediculous seeing goalies who have the angle already covered going down and then leaving the upper shortside wide open....There is certainly a time to use the butterfly, but not at bad angles.And if a goalie must use the butterfly, he must not drop too soon, this is a major flaw that NHL shooters take full advantage of.
You will get scored on low far post, against decent shooters at all but the most severe angles if you try to play a stand up style in this spots.

The whole thing about goalies dropping too soon is easier said than done too. There is the cliche about whoever goes first between the goalie and the shooter loses, but that's crap a lot fo the time. A shooter with a good release will victimize your five hole if they get close enough to you while you're still up in your stance. It's a balance and a guessing game. I feel like Bob walks the line pretty well where that's concerned.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

When did Jeff Reese suddenly become a good goalie coach?

Old
05-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Bobrovsky reminds me of Jocelyn Thibault when it comes to his stance and his style making him smaller in net

The good thing for Bobrovsky though is he has several inches height over Thibault so it doesn't expose as much of the upper net

Old
05-17-2011, 04:15 PM
infidelappel*

I've been saying this stuff since training camp...Bob has a few fundamental (but correctable) flaws in his stance and in the way he drops. Namely hand positioning, back/shoulder posture, and the depth of his stance. If he alters all this stuff even a bit, he stops getting sniped so easily.

Old
05-17-2011, 04:41 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
If you talk to the people in Tampa they would tell you that while he was Khabibulin's backup he worked with him a lot in practice, almost in a player/coach role. His work with Michael Leighton cannot be overlooked either. Feaster would take him in Calgary if he had the chance.

Old
05-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
When an AHL goaltender caught fire for 3 weeks. I agree, people are overrating Reese a bit I think...

People are citing Leighton as proof. Leighton was an AHL goalie when he started with Reese, he'll be an AHL goalie when leaves Reese...

On Bob. Identifying flaws in his game is the easy part. Getting him to change is harder. They are called habits for a reason. If a player plays the same way his whole life, its not exactly easy to get him to change, even if he wants too.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:34 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
When an AHL goaltender caught fire for 3 weeks. I agree, people are overrating Reese a bit I think...

People are citing Leighton as proof. Leighton was an AHL goalie when he started with Reese, he'll be an AHL goalie when leaves Reese...

On Bob. Identifying flaws in his game is the easy part. Getting him to change is harder. They are called habits for a reason. If a player plays the same way his whole life, its not exactly easy to get him to change, even if he wants too.
It just takes time...Bob's issues are mechanical. It's stuff that you can get him to work on, but yes, it takes time to break bad habits. Probably another season or two. The kid seems to have the right attitude about improving, so it should be possible to accomplish, it'll just take time...barring some mental collapse or this team giving up on him, or something.

Closed Thread