HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Travel help to New Jersey

Old
05-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

vCash: 500
Is the smoking deck outside the building? I'm not a smoker either. I will be checking out Bank Atlantic Center this year. Once the schedule comes out for the season I will be purchasing tickets for the Panthers/Devils games as long as it doesn't fall when I'm visiting home in Jersey. I'm moving to Florida in a few months. Seminole which is on the peninsula in St Pete. Already bought a house there a year ago. Fort Lauderdale is 4-4.5 hour drive from where I will be living, but the St Pete Times Forum is only 10-15 minutes, so I plan on seeing both games the Devils will be in town next season to play the Lightning, and the two games they play the Panthers in Florida as well! I hear Bank Atlantic Center is real nice. St Pete Times Forum isn't a bad building either. I plan to see a few Lightning games there during next season.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 01:49 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing all the buildings including the Isles.
If you make it to a game at Nassau Coliseum, you will hug and kiss the outside of Rexall when you get home.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Is the smoking deck outside the building? I'm not a smoker either. I will be checking out Bank Atlantic Center this year. Once the schedule comes out for the season I will be purchasing tickets for the Panthers/Devils games as long as it doesn't fall when I'm visiting home in Jersey. I'm moving to Florida in a few months. Seminole which is on the peninsula in St Pete. Already bought a house there a year ago. Fort Lauderdale is 4-4.5 hour drive from where I will be living, but the St Pete Times Forum is only 10-15 minutes, so I plan on seeing both games the Devils will be in town next season to play the Lightning, and the two games they play the Panthers in Florida as well! I hear Bank Atlantic Center is real nice. St Pete Times Forum isn't a bad building either. I plan to see a few Lightning games there during next season.
Yes you go out a set of doors outside the building and there is just a balcony there with some ash trays.

I would drive to Calgary to catch Oiler games but the fans(and it goes both ways when Flames fans come to Rexall) are just so arrogant. Especially if you have to sit in a section with a bunch of drunk deuchebags.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
If you make it to a game at Nassau Coliseum, you will hug and kiss the outside of Rexall when you get home.
Yes I believe they are the only ones in the league to have an older building than us.

Old
05-13-2011, 02:52 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Yes you go out a set of doors outside the building and there is just a balcony there with some ash trays.

I would drive to Calgary to catch Oiler games but the fans(and it goes both ways when Flames fans come to Rexall) are just so arrogant. Especially if you have to sit in a section with a bunch of drunk deuchebags.
This sounds familiar. Haha

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2011, 06:30 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
I was in Calgary for a Flames/Oilers game about 10 years ago, and there were at least 3 or 4 fights in the crowd.

Old
05-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Oh yeah! Like I said earlier when I go to Nassau I feel like I should be watching Trottier, Resch, and Bossy, and Al Arbour behind the bench, and that I'm watching the best team in the league. I feel like I should have the polyester suit unbuttoned with the chest hair exposed, or like I'm a small child like I was when I went there at the age of 6 for the first time back in 82. The place is virtually the same. I mean it's like the 70s all over again. I like Nassau Coliseum though I don't mind seeing games there. I go to one or two Devils games a year when they're on the Island playing out there against the Islanders. It's a further drive from me than MSG, but it's so much more convenient, and the parking situation is better, and the traffic situation is at least a little better.

Old
05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

In the last few seasons its like our fans woke up and realized we can get to Nassau. The Devils away fan contigent in Nassau has been impressive. The last time we played in Nassau it was a legit invasion.

Old
05-15-2011, 01:37 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
In the last few seasons its like our fans woke up and realized we can get to Nassau. The Devils away fan contigent in Nassau has been impressive. The last time we played in Nassau it was a legit invasion.
Two home arenas, bro.

Old
05-15-2011, 02:01 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Ya brah, Nassau's building us a second arena

Old
05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Haha ya I heard the local government there is said to more than likely be approving a new arena for the Isles soon. Any truth to this? I just heard the CBC crew and Mike Milbury talking about this last night during the game.

Old
05-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Like I said I'd rather see a game at MSG, but I'd rather commute to The Coliseum. The traffic through NYC isn't so bad, but no city roads in bumper to bumper stuck in the middle of a red light intersection traffic, and better parking. I try to go to at least two Devils game on the Island every year. I go to MSG for maybe one, and some years none. They've talked about moving the Islanders to the Barclays Center which is being constructed right now in Brooklyn. It's scheduled to open in 2012 I believe for the Nets 2012/2013 season. It's being built for the Nets to move over from Jersey, but they've talked about using it for the Islanders to replace the aging Coliseum. It's been talked about, and was blueprinted about five years ago, but they only just broke ground a year ago.

Old
05-15-2011, 08:29 PM
manisback121

Quote:
Good day all. I am a regular poster on the Oiler board and I am going to be travelling to Newark in October for a cruise. We hope to able to catch some hockey games both pre and post cruise. We are planning on staying at a hotel in the Newark airport area since it is closest to the cruise dock. These are my questions:

1) Which stadium is closer to this area - Prudential Center or MSG?

2) Other than taxi what are the best ways to get to and from the arenas? Are the subways and stuff safe to take later in the night after a hockey game? (Don't wanna sound like the typical tourist but I have heard some greasy things, just curious how legit it is later at night).

3) If I do take a cab from this area, approximately how much would it cost (please specify one-way/round-trip).

Thanks for your help guys.
Or stay at the hilton in newark downtown, its literally a walkwaumy to newark penn and a train stop away from the airport. Plus its footsteps away from pry center

manisback121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Marv4Life
Worth billions...

They ain't moving to Brooklyn. Nets said it won't be constructed for hockey, and if it was there'd be restricted seating anyway. What's being proposed is a new one next to the Coliseum, which isn't accessible by decent(not great, decent) mass transit. Don't know why they couldn't put something in Suffolk off the LIRR.

As for the OP, if the cruise starts in Bayonne, you don't have to stay near the airport. There is light rail service from Newport in Jersey City to Bayonne with hotels in Newport. I'm assuming this is the port you're talking about? http://www.cruiseliberty.com/ Take a cab from the light rail station. Overall it will be cheaper than traveling from the airport unless you're driving.

Hotels in JC: Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard by Marriott, Doubletree, Candlewood. All along or within a 5 minute walk to the light rail and PATH service to Penn Station for the PruCenter.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:08 AM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

The Hyatt is great and it has a great view of Manhattan. I'm automatically biased in favor of anything in downtown JC.

Old
05-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisback121 View Post
Or stay at the hilton in newark downtown, its literally a walkwaumy to newark penn and a train stop away from the airport. Plus its footsteps away from pry center
Yeah except the extra cost to stay at the Hilton will be far more than paying for transit to the Pru.

Old
05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
They ain't moving to Brooklyn. Nets said it won't be constructed for hockey, and if it was there'd be restricted seating anyway. What's being proposed is a new one next to the Coliseum, which isn't accessible by decent(not great, decent) mass transit. Don't know why they couldn't put something in Suffolk off the LIRR.

As for the OP, if the cruise starts in Bayonne, you don't have to stay near the airport. There is light rail service from Newport in Jersey City to Bayonne with hotels in Newport. I'm assuming this is the port you're talking about? http://www.cruiseliberty.com/ Take a cab from the light rail station. Overall it will be cheaper than traveling from the airport unless you're driving.

Hotels in JC: Hyatt, Westin, Courtyard by Marriott, Doubletree, Candlewood. All along or within a 5 minute walk to the light rail and PATH service to Penn Station for the PruCenter.
I was kind of looking at this but wasn't sure if the hotels in that area included complimentary transit to and from the airport. The only benefit of being in this area for us is being closer to the cruise dock but it is further from the Pru and the outlet mall. From everything I looked up for the stuff we want to do in the area we can get to the airport for free and then take some form of transit from there. But the gf is talking about wanting to go to the Statue of Liberty and it would be really close to that as well.

Do you know if they offer a shuttle service to and from the airport?

Old
05-16-2011, 12:17 PM
cj225
Work in Progress...

Send a message via AIM to cj225
You should visit the hotel's website or call them to find out if they have a shuttle and/or what the costs are for cabs. Any time I've stayed at hotels out of state, it's always a question I've asked upon checking in and they'll usually tell you the cost. So, if they have that available at check-in, if you call they can probably tell you.

Here's the info for the Hyatt in JC: http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/ho...tion/index.jsp

cj225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj225 View Post
You should visit the hotel's website or call them to find out if they have a shuttle and/or what the costs are for cabs. Any time I've stayed at hotels out of state, it's always a question I've asked upon checking in and they'll usually tell you the cost. So, if they have that available at check-in, if you call they can probably tell you.

Here's the info for the Hyatt in JC: http://jerseycity.hyatt.com/hyatt/ho...tion/index.jsp
Looks like it's definitely a nicer area to stay. Not sure if it's more convenient though. Probably pretty equal convenience wise. Price wise it is definitely more when you figure in transportation costs and hotel costs.

Old
05-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Looks like it's definitely a nicer area to stay. Not sure if it's more convenient though. Probably pretty equal convenience wise. Price wise it is definitely more when you figure in transportation costs and hotel costs.
You're probably better off skipping seeing any of the 3 Metropolitan New York City teams in action.

Save your time, money & energy on sightseeing in and around Manhattan. You're better off seeing those sights as opposed to a yawner of a game between, oh I don't know, maybe NJ vs. Florida in a half empty Prudential Center that will announce it's crowd at like 15,000.

Seriously, unless it's a playoff game between the NJD vs the NYR, seeing a game live at the Prudential Center, MSG or Nassau Colisseum is really not very exciting compared to many other places.

Only go if you find cheap/complimentary transtportation to the game and you get tickets on the cheap.

Save your money for the hotel, cruise and visiting NYC, which I'm sure are costing you a pretty penny.

Also avoid a place called "Warren 77" in downtown Manhattan. It's nothing more than a warren of hot-button issue attention seekers on their way out of the NHL with bad food, watered down drinks and woman with small Paris Hilton-like derrières.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:08 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
The Hyatt is great and it has a great view of Manhattan. I'm automatically biased in favor of anything in downtown JC.
now with free bedbugs!

*towels extra

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
You're probably better off skipping seeing any of the 3 Metropolitan New York City teams in action.

Save your time, money & energy on sightseeing in and around Manhattan. You're better off seeing those sights as opposed to a yawner of a game between, oh I don't know, maybe NJ vs. Florida in a half empty Prudential Center that will announce it's crowd at like 15,000.

Seriously, unless it's a playoff game between the NJD vs the NYR, seeing a game live at the Prudential Center, MSG or Nassau Colisseum is really not very exciting compared to many other places.

Only go if you find cheap/complimentary transtportation to the game and you get tickets on the cheap.

Save your money for the hotel, cruise and visiting NYC, which I'm sure are costing you a pretty penny.

Also avoid a place called "Warren 77" in downtown Manhattan. It's nothing more than a warren of hot-button issue attention seekers on their way out of the NHL with bad food, watered down drinks and woman with small Paris Hilton-like derrières.
Dude I live, eat, breathe and dream about hockey. Catching a game or two while I'm there is a must. When I went to a game at the Bank Atlantic center the crowd was crappy. but I really enjoyed it cause they had a nice arena and because it was hockey.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
now with free bedbugs!

*towels extra
Ohhhh, I've been looking for some bedbugs for a while now. Why does ti seem like bedbugs is such a big issue in the States. Here in Edmonton there has only ever been like one reported case that I know of and that was like a couple years ago.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Big#D

Quote:
Ohhhh, I've been looking for some bedbugs for a while now. Why does ti seem like bedbugs is such a big issue in the States. Here in Edmonton there has only ever been like one reported case that I know of and that was like a couple years ago.
If you were a bed bug, would you want to live in Edmonton?

Big#D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:54 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post

I dont really get your shtick anymore.