HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrik Berglund

Old
05-14-2011, 01:03 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Would be interesting to see Bergund unload his slapper from the point on the PP.
I'd settle for some one timers from near the dot. It seemed like even the thought of trying to set that play up has disappeared after his rookie year.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2011, 05:23 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
I'd settle for some one timers from near the dot. It seemed like even the thought of trying to set that play up has disappeared after his rookie year.
With how ugly our play was along the blueline I'm sure most everyone had given up on east-west passing / point shots until Shattenkirk and Stewart started lighting it up by making good passes instead of waiting for the best decisions to present itself and losing the puck.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Oshie97

So how much do the Blues pay him now after his performance in IIHF World Championships? His value has to have gone up, how many and at what level will he receive offer sheets? We should of locked him up before the end of the season...

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:52 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
So how much do the Blues pay him now after his performance in IIHF World Championships? His value has to have gone up, how many and at what level will he receive offer sheets? We should of locked him up before the end of the season...
I dont think the tournament will affect his salary too much, I still say I expect him to get around 2.5 give or take a little for 2 years. I also fully expect to have his deal done well before July 1 so offer sheets wont be an issue.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Overkamp

I read the other day that Berglund and the Blues were very close to an extension (JR's chat) and I agree that it will be somewhere around $2.5-$3 million per year.

Could be worth more (long term) if it's three or four years.

I understand Armstrong hasn't been giving out long term deals but this situation might be different.

Berglund was the one of if not the best player on the team in the second half. His promise was only confirmed with his performance in the World's.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:39 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

He'll get 3 or more. The tournament shouldn't and won't affect his value in terms of salary.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 1796
We need to lock him up for 4 yrs. I would go 4 yr 12 mill. He is entering beast mode.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:58 PM
STL fan in IA

Army's left quite a few clues that he intends to sign both Bergy and Oshie to two years deals similar to how he did with EJ and Perron last year. I doubt Bergy's WC performance will have much effect on how much he's able to command. Keep in mind that EJ's contract averaged $2.6M and Perron's averaged $2.15M. I think Bergy will end up more in the $2-2.5M range instead of the $2.5-3M range.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:55 AM
Neblod Zin

Another good comparison could be Berglund's fellow countrymen Patric Hörnqvist who signed a three year $9.25M contract. He did that with just one similar looking good year and Berglund has two years like that.

Neblod Zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:32 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

As far as contracts go, Patrik Berglund is probably going to sign a 2-3 year deal a la Johnson and Perron, since it works for both Berglund (who's coming off his entry-level contract) and the St. Louis Blues.

It'll benefit the player because if he's doing well now, chances are by the time this middler contract is up he'll have performed well enough to earn a massive raise for his lock-up contract. A middler contract, as opposed to a Backes-like lock-up contract, will also benefit the club because it'll keep the player right up until his RFA status expires, so the club can put him in a big-year, big-money right before his UFA status, where negotiations would be much more difficult.

Also, signing Berglund before July 1st doesn't seem too imperative. If the St. Louis Blues can do it while keeping their contract goals in mind, by all means do so; however, I don't think the Blues will worry about offer-sheets coming their way considering that most teams won't try to poach RFAs off a team with a lot of room for salary cap (budget constraints probably wouldn't factor in matching received offers, considering new ownership on the way), and by dangling Berglund past July 1st his leverage in negotiations will drop to the point that the contract-goals in mind can easily be met (as was done with Perron and Johnson).

Last edited by River City Rumble: 05-18-2011 at 01:38 AM. Reason: posted too early whoops
River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Oshie97

I happen do disagree I think if he hits July 1st he will receive offer sheets which will only give him an edge in negotiations. I also think they should try to lock up Berglund and Oshie at 4 yr deals, the last couple yrs could end up being at bargain prices if they keep improving. It sucks that our ownership situation is affecting the ability to improve this team, but you would have to think having those two under contract would only be a positive aspect to a interested buyer long as its a decent price.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Quote:
I happen do disagree I think if he hits July 1st he will receive offer sheets which will only give him an edge in negotiations. I also think they should try to lock up Berglund and Oshie at 4 yr deals, the last couple yrs could end up being at bargain prices if they keep improving. It sucks that our ownership situation is affecting the ability to improve this team, but you would have to think having those two under contract would only be a positive aspect to a interested buyer long as its a decent price.
Well, if Berglund receives an offer that he really likes then chances are he'd accept it then wait for the Blues to match it (which they will), so Berglund would be under contract anyway; otherwise, the offer's not good enough and would only hamper his negotiations or, if it was a good enough offer, Berglund is willing to concede in negotiations to stay with the Blues (in the same way that Colaiacovo went past July 1st as a UFA, but took whatever offers he received from other clubs back to the Blues to see if they'd match it). This is, of course, assuming that a General Manager exists in the NHL that is ballsy enough to try and poach an RFA from a team that can easily match.

Old
05-23-2011, 11:06 AM
CoMoBlues
Jori's here!!!

Blues make 2 year offer to Patrik Berglund, per Strickland.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/S...lorado-College

Quote:
The Blues have made a two-year offer to forward Patrik Berglund. The two sides have agreed on the term but have yet to settle on a number. Look for Berglund to eventually sign a two-year contract that pays him between $2.1-$2.5 million per year.

More to come,
Andy Strickland

CoMoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Oshie97

Two yrs is to short, they did this with Johnson and Perron last year. We need a new owner bad, hopefully one that has the assets that can lock up rfa's for longer. Ohh well.

Old
05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Two yrs is to short, they did this with Johnson and Perron last year. We need a new owner bad, hopefully one that has the assets that can lock up rfa's for longer. Ohh well.
Berglund will still be a RFA after two years. Why lock him up for 5-6 years only to see that deal expire with him in his prime as a UFA? If Berglund, Oshie, Perron, etc all step up and perform then we will see the team sign them to long term like they did with Backes.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

2 years is perfect length imo heres why:

-It will be enough time to see if he's gonna be able to consistently produce in a top 6 or even top line role.

-Its keeps him RFA which always is better than UFA, and by that time we should *hopefully* have a stable ownership to match any offers, or just lock him up before July 1st again.

- The lesser years is potentially better because in 2 years is when he and most players really start to enter their best years and if it were say 4 years he'd already be 26, and that could be his prime, meaning top dollar contract.

In other words we'll be able to know what we are getting, and we can lock him up through his prime without paying top dollar.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Ranger482

I like the 2 year idea. Make him earn top dollar if that's what he wants. No reason to give him a big contract and then watch him regress if he gets lazy. If he wants it he'll earn it, if not, we'll find someone else that will.

Ranger482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMoBlues View Post
Blues make 2 year offer to Patrik Berglund, per Strickland.

http://www.truehockey.com/articles/S...lorado-College
oh, well look at that

It's pretty awesome from a management standpoint that Armstrong has established a template for signing his RFAs. Both sides always look for comparables in these situations, and it undoubtedly helps out the Club in negotiations when all the RFAs go through this salary-friendly process.

It also does not have anything at all to do with the organization's shoe-string budget: even if the team could spend well above the cap ceiling, they would still do this in an effort to manage the team's payroll as it balloons over time and eventually nears the cap as it reaches championship level (look at how teams lock-up their core players to huge contracts, then look at how many players on the St. Louis Blues could be defined as 'core' and realize what our cap situation will be in several years when Armstrong has to offer them contracts to keep them on the team during their prime years).

Last edited by River City Rumble: 05-23-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Old
05-23-2011, 08:30 PM
execwrite

Excellent - two years, $2.1 to $2.5 mil per year.

Oshie needs to come in just below that and Polak a little less than Oshie.

The other RFA contracts will be easy to do.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neblod Zin View Post
Another good comparison could be Berglund's fellow countrymen Patric Hörnqvist who signed a three year $9.25M contract. He did that with just one similar looking good year and Berglund has two years like that.
Berglund is a much better player than Hornqvist.

Detroit will give you Hudler and Ericsson straight up for Berglund

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Bump.

It seems like a couple years ago Blues fans were very high on Patrik Berglund. Do fans still feel the same way about him? Do people here still think he can be a 1C in the NHL?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:26 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Bump.

It seems like a couple years ago Blues fans were very high on Patrik Berglund. Do fans still feel the same way about him? Do people here still think he can be a 1C in the NHL?
Most see him as a 1b/2nd line center 50-65 points. So him and Backes are a perfect 1b/2nd line center combo if he can keep it up.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

The thing to remember about Patrik Berglund: He's 23.

Dude is putting up a 40-goal pace right now. After dominating the Swedist Tier-2 during the lockout, he looks to have developed a shoot-first mentality, which is terrific. I'd say the club is still very high on him...and well they should be.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
The thing to remember about Patrik Berglund: He's 23.
He's actually 24 and turning 25 in June.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:57 PM
CarvinSigX

Look up all the past Swedish forwards and what age they really started putting it all together.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote