Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2011-12 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2011, 08:57 AM
johnnydrum

vCash: 500
Welcome Dean Youngblood82~ "wanna go pretty boy"?
I am quite excited at the thought of the Sting getting Carnevale.
I think he will be a great assett, especailly if we dont have to give up anyone from the squad.

I just wish the season would get a shift on...lol

I was able to find a program at the weekend that can take "youtube" clips to DVD, so imagine my wifes sheer joy, when I was able to "knock up" 60 minutesof Sting clips and finally be able to watch them on the Big screen in the living room!!
I am now considering buying a lazer pointer to highlight to Mrs D the "key plays"...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittinginasuite View Post
Semp, good call on underlined players that will be on the team.
Don't expect Brandon Francisco to make this team. If his feelings were hurt being yelled at by Dave MacQueen he will HATE Jacques!
Also I think Alderson might still get a chance to start the season, so Jacques can see what he has and if he buys in, if not he's gone to!
Both guys quit last season! No room for quitters on this team!

Joe and Brossaurd will be back. hopefully the new GM and caoch is good for joe. He took a couple steps back last season.

Nice to see more good draft picks!!

As for Yakkie, he will be back. This kid wants to be #1 into the NHL. He won't be #1 into the NHL playing in the KHL. This kids loves being the centre of attention and the limelight. He will only get that this season game in and game out in the OHL.

He and gally will kill teams. Hopey will be very good, but need a vet goalie to backstop him. We need mean tough defencemen, so hopefully they have some. Also need a couple of tough guys! That can play hopefully but also show other teams, like the KNIGHTS, that you cant run around cheap shotting gally and yakkie!!
Great post.
I knew that some of the older guys, with a month left, were all too happy just to let the "rookies do it"- I knew B.F, and JCC had reportedly, let themselves down, but hadnt realised Alderson was in that group also?
Francsico is a obvious talent, so would he bring back anything in a trade? (of course I would rather him stay and be a key player)
Regarding someone to "Police" the other teams, wont Flemmington or Pawalczyk be back?

Last edited by johnnydrum: 05-16-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old
05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Sempron

quote Regarding someone to "Police" the other teams, wont Flemmington or Pawalczyk be back? quote

dp probably not. rumoured he didnt even show up for required team fitness testing this weekend. kf maybe if he can buy into jacques defencive system of play. neither bring the fear or skill needed as a enforcer. jackques knows this league knows the players knows who plays his style of game. look for some movement on back end. he made it clear hes working the phones and known for trades.

Old
05-16-2011, 01:58 PM
HkyBeegs3

U.S Players comin to Sarnia?

So I havent really been following the talk on these u.s development league kids the sting have drafted this year or in previous, but does anyone have any idea or info on the possibilities of the sting signing them?

Old
05-16-2011, 04:04 PM
jwalk

According to what has been a fairly accurate source on the Spits board Windsor is actively trying to move Jack Campbell to Sarnia but the asking price is currently too steep. If I were Beaulieu I would not be prepared to give up too much for this kid as his play in Windsor last year really wouldn't warrant it. The expectations were obviously high at the beginnng of last year because of his play at the World Juniors the Christmas before but unfortunately that may have been a negative.

Old
05-16-2011, 04:22 PM
OHLTG

Like I said on the Spits thread, Campbell is worth a young talent + a couple good picks. He knows the league now, proved he can steal games in the post-season, and his leadership will be invaluable to a guy like Hope.

Old
05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Sempron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Like I said on the Spits thread, Campbell is worth a young talent + a couple good picks. He knows the league now, proved he can steal games in the post-season, and his leadership will be invaluable to a guy like Hope.
would his leadership not also be invaluable to a guy like dekort. give up a player and picks for a rental player. highly unlikely. your sales pitch has to get thrrough jacques now.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:11 PM
jwalk

Quote:
Okay for fun let's play GM here - what young talent and or picks do you want for Campbell ?

Old
05-16-2011, 05:22 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalk View Post
Okay for fun let's play GM here - what young talent and or picks do you want for Campbell ?
Garett Hooey

Old
05-16-2011, 08:17 PM
krauss72

Quote from Windsor's hockeylegend11:

based on your theory chris what is fair payment for a goalie who

averaged 3.74 during playoffs with 2 shutouts and averaged 5.80 in the

5 game western final vs owen sd

i can remember 6 decent outings in the 18 games he played in the playoffs

3 games aginst erie the ist 3,1game vs saginaw, i dont count the shutouts vs

saginaw they were very easy,and maybe 2 against owen sd

games 2 and 4

other then that he was average to sub par

average to me does not warrant a good youngster and high picks no way

we will be lucky to get a bag of pucks unfortunately

I tend to believe the lad Garrett Hooey is worth more than a bag of pucks and doubt JB will be interested in selling our future.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Campbell coming to Sarnia would mean Hopey would sit the bench for the majority of the games, which I can't imagine is in his plans. Despite his young age, he is expecting to be the #1 goalie so bringing in someone with Campbell's price tag would be a complete waste of talent I think.

Old
05-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
Campbell coming to Sarnia would mean Hopey would sit the bench for the majority of the games, which I can't imagine is in his plans. Despite his young age, he is expecting to be the #1 goalie so bringing in someone with Campbell's price tag would be a complete waste of talent I think.
If they can get him cheap then I can see it working. 2 games for Campbell and 1 for Hope, with Hope holding the fort during the WJC.

Old
05-16-2011, 11:03 PM
HkyBeegs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
If they can get him cheap then I can see it working. 2 games for Campbell and 1 for Hope, with Hope holding the fort during the WJC.
What would be the "cheap" price tag on aquiring a goalie such as campbell? I mean is it really worth givin up on a blue chip prospect, or high draft picks?

Old
05-16-2011, 11:55 PM
LeafsFan18
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by HkyBeegs3 View Post
What would be the "cheap" price tag on aquiring a goalie such as campbell? I mean is it really worth givin up on a blue chip prospect, or high draft picks?
If you look at Owen Sound this year the goalie in the pipes for games 6 and 7 was Jordan Binnington. That was his 2nd OHL season. The team in front of him was lead mostly by players in their 4th and 5th seasons.

Sarnia has a goalie similar to Binnington going into next season with Hope. The difference is Sarnia doesn't have the kind of experience in their line-up compared to Owen Sound. Unless they make some great trades (IE Petgrave, Fritish and Shaw)

So basically for Sarnia trying to acquire a 1 year goalie wouldn't make much sense unless they are expecting Yakupov and Galchenyuk to leave to the NHL after next season.

This offseason they should be more focused on acquiring older players (IE Carnevale)

Old
05-17-2011, 02:54 AM
CoyotesHFNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitsFan18 View Post
If you look at Owen Sound this year the goalie in the pipes for games 6 and 7 was Jordan Binnington. That was his 2nd OHL season. The team in front of him was lead mostly by players in their 4th and 5th seasons.

Sarnia has a goalie similar to Binnington going into next season with Hope. The difference is Sarnia doesn't have the kind of experience in their line-up compared to Owen Sound. Unless they make some great trades (IE Petgrave, Fritish and Shaw)

So basically for Sarnia trying to acquire a 1 year goalie wouldn't make much sense unless they are expecting Yakupov and Galchenyuk to leave to the NHL after next season.

This offseason they should be more focused on acquiring older players (IE Carnevale)
Glad someone pointed this out. Mark Visentin didn't do too bad in his 2nd year when thrown into a key role either. Hope is one of those few talents that will be ready to handle the majority of games as long as there is a reliable netminder ready to take on some games if he needs a break. Never give him more than 2/3 in 3 in 3's and let him prove himself. Binnington was a little unstable, but when the team needed him he stood up to the challenge. Wasn't Brandon promoted as a "big game goaltender" when he was picked, saying he always played his best with the game on the line. I don't see why they'd bring in anyone at a high price tag, Campbell or anyone else. Didn't Cullen almost steal the job from Campbell before he got hurt? Situation just doesn't fit.

furthermore, not sure how good the relationship is with beaulieu and burnett, but maybe a Sarnia/Belleville deal makes sense. Francisco has a lot of skating ability, and can score, with someone like Alderson and picks for Teichmann and a defenceman. Belleville has plenty of D, and if they can find a guy who would fit into the sting situation Sarnia has plenty of D as well, but with changes coming, Belleville has some good D that could be useful to the Sting. Just my thought on the matter.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:31 AM
HkyBeegs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyotesHFNHL View Post
Glad someone pointed this out. Mark Visentin didn't do too bad in his 2nd year when thrown into a key role either. Hope is one of those few talents that will be ready to handle the majority of games as long as there is a reliable netminder ready to take on some games if he needs a break. Never give him more than 2/3 in 3 in 3's and let him prove himself. Binnington was a little unstable, but when the team needed him he stood up to the challenge. Wasn't Brandon promoted as a "big game goaltender" when he was picked, saying he always played his best with the game on the line. I don't see why they'd bring in anyone at a high price tag, Campbell or anyone else. Didn't Cullen almost steal the job from Campbell before he got hurt? Situation just doesn't fit.

furthermore, not sure how good the relationship is with beaulieu and burnett, but maybe a Sarnia/Belleville deal makes sense. Francisco has a lot of skating ability, and can score, with someone like Alderson and picks for Teichmann and a defenceman. Belleville has plenty of D, and if they can find a guy who would fit into the sting situation Sarnia has plenty of D as well, but with changes coming, Belleville has some good D that could be useful to the Sting. Just my thought on the matter.
I can remember being at the rookie camp a few years ago with my old man and seeing francisco and saying to myself "wow" this kids got it. I like the progress he's made in the last few years but not to sure how he will fit into a defensive first structured team like the sting are promoted as being. I'm sure like many others have said there would be something decent that would be in a trade including him especially to a team that needs offencively gifted players so lets hope if they do deal him and that they get something worth his talent.

Old
05-17-2011, 11:48 AM
jwalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitsFan18 View Post
Garett Hooey
Might be a little rich for an 18 year old with an .880 save percentage. MacQueen picked up a goalie with better stats last year for a seventh round pick.

If I'm Beaulieu I think I'd avoid trying to aquire Campbell because I believe he's overrated and because Beaulieu could probably aquire the same type of asset elsewhere for a lot less.

It's too bad the Sting didn't hang onto Cullen because he's the kind of goalie they need now. That trade never made any sense from day one.

Old
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Sempron

ya seemed like hopey and cullly worked well together. trade didnt make sense. think they thought pass would work some miracle. but it wouldnt matter if they brought in anderson or visentin results would have been the same. until the defencive system is addressed.
dont think they will waste an oa spot on goaltender this year and there will be plenty of those available. think there looking at a 18-19 yr old to help out hopey

Old
05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
johnnydrum

One of my best buddies from here sent me a Rookie Camp report, and I noticed the name Ilya Arkalov?
As a fan of Euros, and Russian prospects in perticular, I was intrigued.

Does anyone know anything about him?
Has he come to Canada to be drafted?
Does he have talent?
So if he makes the line up, does that count against our import quota?
I had no idea there was another Russian lurking within the organization.

Last edited by johnnydrum: 05-17-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
cfaub

Campbell to Sarnia does not make sense to me from either side.

Windsor won't get what they feel Campbell should be worth at this point in the off season. Deadline may be a different story but he will have to show he is worth what Windsor is hoping for.

As for Sarnia if they are not looking at making a big push this season then they should be looking at another 17 year old to split time with Hope. Teichman will be looking to be the starter in his third year so that won't help Hope getting minutes. If Teichman backs him up then he is likely not too happy with the situation.

If I am Sarnia I go to Barrie for Chartrand or Malecki. Both 18 year olds that will never be more than back ups in the league unless they have breakout years. They know their role and will get some decent time in Sarnia but Hope will definitely be the starter. Cheap back up to Hope and two guys who are likely looking for a place to get in some time. If those two don't fit the bill then there are likely a few other third year back ups out there for a cheap price who will do the same thing, play 1 out of every 4 games or so just to give Hope a bit of a break every now and then.

Campbell, Teichman or someone else who is an 18 year old looking for or deserving of a starters role will not help Sarnia develop Hope.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:20 PM
krauss72

Chartrand definitely the better of those two. I don't think the Sting are looking for just a warm body. We need a proven, capable goalie who will push Hopey in practice, which in turn will elevate his game, but also one who is skilled enough to be called upon at any given time. The mental makeup of that position is as important as the skill level. Hopey is one tough young pup. I hope whoever we get has his mentality and will push him to be even better than he is now. We finally have a young franchise netminder who could be with us for several years if we do this correctly.

I don't think we would or should use a O/A as a goalie but what about McGrath?

Old
05-17-2011, 06:52 PM
thescout911

How about going in the opposite direction? Instead of an overage goalie or a older guy who is kind of along for the ride, hope seems very mature and looks like he's ready to be a real #1. so why not back him up with a hungry young goalie who will push him every single practice, and let him know he has to work for his job every night.

Old
05-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaub View Post
Campbell to Sarnia does not make sense to me from either side.
If I am Sarnia I go to Barrie for Chartrand or Malecki. Both 18 year olds that will never be more than back ups in the league unless they have breakout years. They know their role and will get some decent time in Sarnia but Hope will definitely be the starter. Cheap back up to Hope and two guys who are likely looking for a place to get in some time. If those two don't fit the bill then there are likely a few other third year back ups out there for a cheap price who will do the same thing, play 1 out of every 4 games or so just to give Hope a bit of a break every now and then.

Campbell, Teichman or someone else who is an 18 year old looking for or deserving of a starters role will not help Sarnia develop Hope.
I think you may be a little misguided with your opinion on Chartrand...last year he showed flashes of being an elite goaltender..I think given the right situation he can be a top goalie.....you will fall in love with his game if u watch him enough....for some reason Hawerchuk doesnt believe in him.....who am I to bicker with a Hall of Famer? LOL

Old
05-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Sempron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout911 View Post
How about going in the opposite direction? Instead of an overage goalie or a older guy who is kind of along for the ride, hope seems very mature and looks like he's ready to be a real #1. so why not back him up with a hungry young goalie who will push him every single practice, and let him know he has to work for his job every night.
are you aware hopey is 17. surely you dont think the sting would go with a 16 and 17. this isnt midget hockey anymore.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:54 PM
thescout911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
are you aware hopey is 17. surely you dont think the sting would go with a 16 and 17. this isnt midget hockey anymore.
Well when 16 and 17 year old goalies are outplaying the older ones than what's the point? If the goalie is better than the job should be his regardless of age. I don't think anyone was making the "midget" comment when Yakubov and Galchenyuk were on the first line.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempron View Post
JP Anderson was the playoff starter for Mississauga at 16.

Jordan Binnington heald the fort in Owen Sound for 3 months, and he is 17.

Age is irrelevent, its about performance.

Closed Thread