HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Wouldn't be devastated with Oleksiak. Ice an Oleksiak - McIlrath pairing and the opposing team may need to equip themselves with diapers before the game.
Klefbom>>>Oleksiak

6'4 Oscar Klefbom has skilled hands, a cannon he delivers with low hard accuracy, solid defensively, and captain material to boot. Easily a first round pick in this draft, and in my eyes more upside than Oleksiak.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Klefbom>>>Oleksiak

6'4 Oscar Klefbom has skilled hands, a cannon he delivers with low hard accuracy, solid defensively, and captain material to boot. Easily a first round pick in this draft, and in my eyes more upside than Oleksiak.
I agree, but I don't think Klefbom will drop to 15.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
Mcilrath at #10, so I'm through with saying 'I dont see him there'

But especially in this draft, wild cards galore.

Oilers at 19, like Jas was saying, I think they'd take Klefbom if Oleksiak is gone.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:33 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
I don't even see Klefbom going in the 1st round in a lot of mocks.

Dmen in the top 20 or so include:

Larsson
Hamilton
Murphy
Siemens
Oleksiak
Beaulieu
Brodin
Musil

Old
05-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Larsson
Hamilton
Murphy
Siemens
Oleksiak
Beaulieu
Brodin
Musil
And Klefbom will be one the Dmen taken shortly after those guys, 19-30 seems right in my estimation.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
And Klefbom will be one the Dmen taken shortly after those guys, 19-30 seems right in my estimation.
But I thought you said he is better than Oleksiak who looks to be selected in the early to mid teens?

Old
05-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
But I thought you said he is better than Oleksiak who looks to be selected in the early to mid teens?
I do think he's going be better. So does ISS who has Klefbom at #10 IN THE ENTIRE DRAFT !

But Oleksiak is 6'7, time and time again, a team in the top 15 will gamble on that kind of size and skill potential. I'm not saying it's a lock, just a prediction.

Old
05-17-2011, 02:56 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:

Larsson
Hamilton
Murphy
Siemens
Oleksiak
Beaulieu
Brodin
Musil
Those top 3 are pretty set I belive for d-men, but beyond that has been all over the place. ISS actually has Klefbom as high as 10, and I just have this feeling, as someone else already said, that Dallas is looking for a big mobile d-man after coveting Mcllrath last year. Klefbom or Oleksiak would fit that bill.

Klefbom really impressed at the U18's from what I've heard and his stock has risen. I don't think he will go top 10, but I don't think he'll fall to 15. Also not sold on Beaulieu as a top 15.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Klefbom>>>Oleksiak

Wasn't trying to imply Oleksiak would be my guy at 15, just saying that he wouldn't be the worst pick we could make (obviously that's without knowing who we passed on to make the pick).

I really like Klefbom's game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs roll the dice on him at #11. Would make a stellar partner for EJ.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Klefbom>>>Oleksiak

I think it's the opposite. He's safer than Oleksiak, but there are few in this draft class with more potential than Oleksiak. Klefbom is not one of them.

Old
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Gare Joyce latest blog

Mark Scheifele

Quote:
One scout's take: "He was the best forward on the Canadian team at the Under-18 World Championships and probably the second best player on that team after Ryan Murphy. [Scheifele] was in and out during the season. He had a really good stretch around the 20-game mark, but he fell off dramatically. His team was weak. It can be hard to get a read on a kid in a bad situation and really, surrounded by more talent and against a higher level of play, he played his best hockey of the season. You have to think that's not just coincidence. You wouldn't have bet on him having a big [under-18] tournament. He was bad at the [CHL] Prospects Game, just about invisible. He struggled after a head injury in February."
Stockwatch: Will not be around for the 16th overall pick
Mika

Quote:
Zibanejad jumped from No. 3 among Euro skaters in the CSS midterms to No. 2 in the finals. One scout's read: "At the U-18s he was playing out of position ... moved over to the wing to play beside Victor Rask [see Fallers below]. Still he solidified his status. As the season went along it just looked like he was stronger and stronger on his skates. You knew that he was a pretty physically mature kid but not to the degree like we saw at the 18s. If he builds on this, he can be a pretty imposing player at the next level. And he's willing to get into it. Physically, we had him high but he went higher. Over the course of the season, we liked his game more and more."
Stockwatch: Will not be around for the 12th overall pick
Jonathan Miller and Tyler Biggs are the other risers. Both could go in the top 15.

Fallers are Saad,Musil and Rask(enigmatic). Joyce feels all three players will be 2nd rounders. Saad will be available late in first but could drop to 2nd.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...aft&id=6558944

Old
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Wasn't trying to imply Oleksiak would be my guy at 15, just saying that he wouldn't be the worst pick we could make (obviously that's without knowing who we passed on to make the pick).

I really like Klefbom's game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Avs roll the dice on him at #11. Would make a stellar partner for EJ.
No I didnt think you were, I'm just saying for my money Klefbom is the better prospect.

Good call on the Aves, that would be a nice grab for Colorado. I still think a scenario exists where they're gonna try and grab Landeskog AND Zibanajed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think it's the opposite. He's safer than Oleksiak, but there are few in this draft class with more potential than Oleksiak. Klefbom is not one of them.
He's 6'7, you have to admit, some people let size dictate the overall picture. He definitely has some nice skills, but the 6'7 prevents a lot from viewing him objectively, IMO.

I just see more in Klefbom, maybe the most improved player in the entire draft from start to end. At the U-18's his coach claimed he was the team's best player, not Brodin or Zibanjed. Plus he's playing against men, in a great program.

Old
05-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
He's 6'7, you have to admit, some people let size dictate the overall picture. He definitely has some nice skills, but the 6'7 prevents a lot from viewing him objectively, IMO.

I just see more in Klefbom, maybe the most improved player in the entire draft from start to end. At the U-18's his coach claimed he was the team's best player, not Brodin or Zibanjed. Plus he's playing against men, in a great program.
The thing is, he's 6'7 and skates like the wind. Oleksiak has Chara-like potential in the NHL. He's got an underrated shot, too. His wing span, speed and defensive game make him a drool worthy prospect.

Either way, I hope we avoid both of them at 15 as long as a comparable forward is available. But I wouldn't be unhappy with either.

Old
05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I want both D-men to go in the top 14...just leave Scheifele on the board at 15.

Old
05-17-2011, 07:52 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Since this conversation has drifted towards dmen, I'll chime in.

I too like Klefbom but I like brodin more. Brodin is such a cool customer. He plays like a seasoned vet right now, And his passing skills are elite.. He's got an overall game and the smarts to play big NHL minutes.

Since I have no interest in taking a dman at 15, unless something whacky happens, I prefer to take my dman in the 2nd or if we move up.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, scott mayfield is my guy. You will not find a naturally smarter kid on the ice. He's got high end instincts. He totally gets it. He's 6'4 and has an albatross reach. You can forget that he's so big when you watch his effortless strides. His skating is phenomenal for such a monster frame. He still needs to get stronger and More involved with the puck.

This is my pick for an impact dman. And hell be there in round 2

And don't forget mcilraths teammate in moose jaw, Joel Edmundson. He's maybe a slighty better version of mcilrath himself. He's huge, He will beat your face in and he's improving leaps and bounds.

Sound familiar ?

Last edited by offdacrossbar: 05-17-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Take a DMan in round 2 with one of the 2 picks. No point in drafting a DMan right away.

IF they do take a Dman, then at least two of the prospects will be traded for a scorer.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:45 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I'd be fine with taking a d-man in the second round.

We're strong on D but if he either becomes good enough to make the NHL roster, that makes V-Tank and K-tek expendable, AND if he doesn't then we can trade him too.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Still need to take the BPA in the first round. Doesn't matter if it's a d-man, winger or center. You can never have too many good prospects, and a lot of good prospects at one position is a better problem to have than a bust of a 1st round pick just because you drafted on need.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:16 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Still need to take the BPA in the first round. Doesn't matter if it's a d-man, winger or center. You can never have too many good prospects, and a lot of good prospects at one position is a better problem to have than a bust of a 1st round pick just because you drafted on need.
I really think we should avoid a d-man in the first round and get the best forward available. Next year we are for sure drafting a PMD in the 1st round, so that cupboard isn't going to be empty any time soon.

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - McDonagh
MDZ - McIlrath
Valentenko
Kundratek

Of course injuries and trades happen, but we already have a shot of having a completely home grown defense as early as next season.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I really think we should avoid a d-man in the first round and get the best forward available. Next year we are for sure drafting a PMD in the 1st round, so that cupboard isn't going to be empty any time soon.

Staal - Girardi
Sauer - McDonagh
MDZ - McIlrath
Valentenko
Kundratek

Of course injuries and trades happen, but we already have a shot of having a completely home grown defense as early as next season.
You take the guy who has the best shot of being an impact player at the next level. You can't base it on next year because you have no idea where we'll be drafting in the first round. Hell, Sather could deal the pick for a rental next deadline and then what?

It's about stockpiling assets and getting the maximum return for those assets down the line. Either in the form of NHL minutes, or NHL players in a trade.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:38 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
You take the guy who has the best shot of being an impact player at the next level. You can't base it on next year because you have no idea where we'll be drafting in the first round. Hell, Sather could deal the pick for a rental next deadline and then what?

It's about stockpiling assets and getting the maximum return for those assets down the line. Either in the form of NHL minutes, or NHL players in a trade.
I feel like there is a greater chance they trade this years pick than next years, but that is beside the point.

You're right, it definitely is best to go BPA, and for the reasons you've listed. However, save for Siemens falling (and he wont), in this draft I don't see a single dman falling to us that would be definitely better than the forwards who will be available at 15.

Old
05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I feel like there is a greater chance they trade this years pick than next years, but that is beside the point.
I agree. Just making a point.

Quote:
You're right, it definitely is best to go BPA, and for the reasons you've listed. However, save for Siemens falling (and he wont), in this draft I don't see a single dman falling to us that would be definitely better than the forwards who will be available at 15.
I agree with your second point. It's certainly more likely that the BPA will be a forward as opposed to a d-man. So that ought to work out in our favor.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, scott mayfield is my guy. You will not find a naturally smarter kid on the ice. He's got high end instincts. He totally gets it. He's 6'4 and has an albatross reach. You can forget that he's so big when you watch his effortless strides. His skating is phenomenal for such a monster frame. He still needs to get stronger and More involved with the puck.

This is my pick for an impact dman. And hell be there in round 2

And don't forget mcilraths teammate in moose jaw, Joel Edmundson. He's maybe a slighty better version of mcilrath himself. He's huge, He will beat your face in and he's improving leaps and bounds.

Sound familiar ?

Mayfield could go 1st round. Its possible the Leafs might be looking at him with their late first.

Sadly I like Edmundson. I say sadly cause one might say the Ranger's could have taken a very talented forward with our first last year and still get a mean SOB in Edmundson. Some might say Edmundson was Moose Jaw's best overall Dman this season too.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:34 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I agree with Jonathan, but I don't think that the chances of Oleksiak reaching his potential are as good as the chances of Klefbom becoming a very solid defender. You can't go wrong with Klefbom, Brodin, Mayfield, or Clendening, IMO.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:06 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Trade up to #10 to select either Zibanejad(Z-been-yad)or Scheifele(Sheff-lee). #15 and #45.

Closed Thread