HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miller, Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Backstrom, Brodeur?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Brodeur for Matt Carle.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:05 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Why do this when you can be free to trade players to any team for cap relief, then sign one of a couple of really good guys in FA?

Hank and Miller are imo the best in the league, but getting them means shipping *major* pieces to a rival.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

How or why would any of those guys become available? Half of them are on rivals, who I am sure would just be ACHING to solve the Flyers' problems! Minnesota will not move Backstrom, their development of Harding has become a bust because of injuries, everyone else they have in the system is not ready for prime time. Backstrom is the thick line between mediocrity and total obscurity for them, he's still very, very good.

The only one with a remote chance of being moved is Kiprusoff if Calgary commences a total tear-down. That would be lovely if the price were halfway reasonable, he is still a tremendous goalie who gets short-changed in terms of his numbers losing a lot of 1-2 and 0-1 games for a really wonky offensive club.

05-18-2011, 12:19 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Maybe so but what are you basing your opinion on exactly?
Common sense

This has to be the dumbest ****ing article ever written

Old
05-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Common sense

Seriously, name some top goalies who are not currently in the playoffs, make some vague statement about the Flyers' involvement with them, profit?

Old
05-18-2011, 12:25 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Seriously, name some top goalies who are not currently in the playoffs, make some vague statement about the Flyers' involvement with them, profit?
Seriously. Everyone of those goalies is a franchise goalie and would cost SEVER over payment to get them. Not to mention that Bryz and Vokoun are FA's. Why anyone would waste their time writing something so dumb is beyond me. Probably didnt take much time however. Guy is an idiot

Old
05-18-2011, 12:45 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Backtrom and Kipper may move... I very much doubt the Devs will move Brodeur, as it would cause a riot. However, they have a serious cap problem in Parise.
They have 7 mil of space right now and it will be over 10 mil when the cap goes up. He's a RFA and if no long term deal is worked out his cap hit will be around 3.3 mil in 11-12. How is that a "serious cap problem?"

Old
05-18-2011, 12:51 AM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I actually wouldn't want Brodeur at this point... extremely unreliable, and with only one year left on his deal I wouldn't want to give up anything significant for him.
LMFAO

Yeah unreliable. Not dedicated to the game, the team, conditioning, giving 100% on and off the ice, bad in the locker room......yeah real unreliable.

Unreliable is what Pronger is, not Brodeur. If the guy even wanted to leave NJ teams would be falling over each other to acquire him.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-18-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old
05-18-2011, 12:53 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

^^^ I am also sick of that but brace yourself for more of it. People speak without researching when it comes to NJ's cap situation. All that weird stuff with dressing 16 skaters planted a seed in the mind of the casual fan.

It will get worse because teams will make inquiries about Parise until he's signed, and for every genuine inquiry there will be three dozen rumors and for every rumor there will be TENS of readers! Yes, we operate in a glamorous "industry," my friend!

Expect a flow of fan fiction about Kovalchuk and Parise feuding, too. At least it's not the NBA where some wonderful outfit like Black Sports Online would say one guy was sleeping with the other's mom or something really asinine.

Old
05-18-2011, 01:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
LMFAO

Yeah unreliable. Not dedicated to the game, the team, conditioning, giving 100% on and off the ice, bad in the locker room......yeah real unreliable.

Unreliable is what Pronger is, not Brodeur. If the guy even wanted to leave NJ teams would be falling over each other to acquire him.
Uh...what?

No, Brodeur is unreliable because apparently if a shot hits him wrong he'll be injured for close to a month. He's kinda old, and definitely on the decline.

Old
05-18-2011, 01:05 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
LMFAO

Unreliable is what Pronger is, not Brodeur. Get a clue chief. If the guy even wanted to leave NJ teams would be falling over each other to acquire him.
Brodeur had a great year this year. How many games did he play in and what were his numbers like? Dude is getting old and falling apart fast

Old
05-18-2011, 01:10 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Well, there's just no way Miller, Lundqvist, or Brodeur get moved. NJ wouldn't do that to Marty, and the other two are too valuable to their team right now.

I don't know much about the others, except that I don't want to trade as much as Carter for a 35+ with that sort of hit.
I think you will have a better chance at getting Brodeur if it's at or near the trade deadline and somehow the Devils are looking like they will miss the playoffs. Brodeur might not mind if he wants another chance to win the cup before he retires.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
phillyfanatic

I still wonder about Ryan Miller. For some reason, I can see the Sabres going a different direction. Trading Miller for Carter + and using Enroth could push them from "good" to "great". They can't attract UFA's and they want to make a big splash, well - via trade is the way to go.

I thought Backstrom was in the dog house in Minnesota?

Plan A: Sign UFA Vokoun or Bryz
Plan B: Trade for Star goalie in Miller, Backstrom, Quick, etc
Plan C: We trade for a up and coming goalie in Bernier or Schneider
Plan D: We go Bob/Leighton. And this board gets really fun!

Old
05-18-2011, 08:15 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I actually wouldn't want Brodeur at this point... extremely unreliable, and with only one year left on his deal I wouldn't want to give up anything significant for him.
Seriously, Brodeur is way past being worth anything.

Miller or King Henrik would be awesome, but a complete pipe dream. I'd move Carter to do that. I'd even rent a car just to take Carter to the airport.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Cartsiephan*

No thanks, bring me Bryzgalov.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-18-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: No link provided to NHL.com article
Old
05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Jester

Quote:
LMFAO

It isn't 2003 anymore, Perhaps you should get a clue. He has had injury problems and struggled at times in two of the last three years, and has run out of gas in the playoffs with regularity in recent memory. Oh and he will be 39 next year.

Old
05-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
It isn't 2003 anymore, Chief. Perhaps you should get a clue. He has had injury problems and struggled at times in two of the last three years, and has run out of gas in the playoffs with regularity in recent memory. Oh and he will be 39 next year.
And a $5.2mill cap hit!!!!!!

Old
05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
^^^ I am also sick of that but brace yourself for more of it. People speak without researching when it comes to NJ's cap situation. All that weird stuff with dressing 16 skaters planted a seed in the mind of the casual fan.

It will get worse because teams will make inquiries about Parise until he's signed, and for every genuine inquiry there will be three dozen rumors and for every rumor there will be TENS of readers! Yes, we operate in a glamorous "industry," my friend!

Expect a flow of fan fiction about Kovalchuk and Parise feuding, too. At least it's not the NBA where some wonderful outfit like Black Sports Online would say one guy was sleeping with the other's mom or something really asinine.
Ah, they NEED a D that can push the puck like a heroine addict needs a hit. They need a backup that can actually play. All that cap space you think they have is going to diminish quickly if they want to be competitive next season.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Ah, they NEED a D that can push the puck like a heroine addict needs a hit. They need a backup that can actually play. All that cap space you think they have is going to diminish quickly if they want to be competitive next season.
Hedburg can play, didn't he sign for two years? Also, who's the puck moving D out there this year that they would sign for significant money?

Old
05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Common sense

The article is pretty baseless..I agree. However, common sense also dicatates that you don't definitively make a statement that none (100%) of the guys mentioned will ever get traded. That was my contention up thread. Having said this..Gormely is throwing so many wet socks at a locker that he hopes one sticks. No different than how we have dealt with our goaltending situation

Old
05-18-2011, 10:01 AM
DUHockey9

I want no part of Backstrom. 6 million a year, no thank you.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:10 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Am I the only one who thinks Bryzgalov is being overrated?

Old
05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Compared to our goaltending three ring circus...not really...

Old
05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Hedburg can play, didn't he sign for two years? Also, who's the puck moving D out there this year that they would sign for significant money?
Hedberg was a 1-year deal. Kaberle springs immediately to mind.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
The folks trying to justify the 6M cap hits are absolutely overrating him.

Closed Thread