HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

"Spotlight On" Michael Ryder (Oct.14)

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2003, 04:05 AM
Medicine Twin

vCash: 500
"Spotlight On" Michael Ryder (Oct.14)

Let's get right down to it, and put one of the kids in the "Spotlight". I figure Ryder is the most likely one to start next game, so I chose him.

I figure after a while I won't have to say this but... Watch the game Tuesday (Oct.14) against the Caps, keep an extra eye out for Ryder, give your report on his performance IN THAT GAME.

Let the scouting begin...

Old
10-14-2003, 01:51 AM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Uh ok my name is Michael too and it really pains me to see people spell it Micheal still, please remember it's

<b>MICHAEL</b>

=>
Sorry... I changed it in the subject line but can't change it in the thread title... mods?

Old
10-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Medicine Twin

One period to go... Ryder's playing well. Brief scouting report at the end of the game. Be sure to have yours ready...

Old
10-14-2003, 05:34 PM
RE-HABS

Strong play along the boards and some great hits too to go along with 2 assists, great to see Ryder on the 2nd line...he deserves it and the whole line of Ryder, Perreault and Audette seem to have great chemistry.

Ryder is a keeper, and I have been saying this for a long, long time people.

Possible Zednik clone, but more physical.

Old
10-14-2003, 05:37 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Strong play along the boards and some great hits too to go along with 2 assists, great to see Ryder on the 2nd line...he deserves it and the whole line of Ryder, Perreault and Audette seem to have great chemistry.

... a MUCH slower clone.

Old
10-14-2003, 05:53 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS

I love this kid....Michael Ryder has played awesome in the first 3 games....judging from his play, i think his consistency will be better than most rookies. Ryder for Calder

Old
10-15-2003, 02:19 AM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Ryder for Calder

Hell no, I would never do that trade... what use would we have for Kyle Calder in our lineup?

Ryder for Calder TROPHY

Old
10-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Dynasty

Ryder had another great all round game!!...Consider this for spotlight: if we look at the last five Canadien games played, including last two exhibition games, Ryder has been a star in four of the five games!!!...Twice a first star, once a second star and once a third star!!!...I think this says it all...This guy can play big time in the big the big league and most of all with consistency, consistency, consistency...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 08:51 AM
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
Ryder had another great all round game!!...Consider this for spotlight: if we look at the last five Canadien games played, including last two exhibition games, Ryder has been a star in four of the five games!!!...Twice a first star, once a second star and once a third star!!!...I think this says it all...This guy can play big time in the big the big league and most of all with consistency, consistency, consistency...!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DOWN Boy, DOWN! Yes, he's playing well, but its still too damn early! Lets wait to the 20-30 game mark before we start placing his name for Calder contention

Old
10-15-2003, 09:49 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander
DOWN Boy, DOWN! Yes, he's playing well, but its still too damn early! Lets wait to the 20-30 game mark before we start placing his name for Calder contention
Isn't this suppose to be a spotlight on Ryder for now?...I'm just complimenting his play to date!!...Do you have a problem with that?...Not once did I mention "his name for Calder contention"...I just want to see him play consistently great hockey likes he's done so far, and hopefully improve slightly...Cheers!!!!!

Old
10-15-2003, 01:04 PM
Medicine Twin

Sorry I took so long...

Ryder definately seems to belong in the big leagues. He's not an incredibly fast skater but has great acceleration and gets to the puck very quickly. He has a knack for finding open areas in the offensive zone and is a good stickhandler when the need arises. Seems to have a ton of hustle... but then again most players getting their first shot at the NHL do... but it seems to be rubbing off on others. And though he's not the most physical player, he isn't afraid to mix it up along the boards.

Needs to improve: Patience with the puck... or even quicker decision making. He doesn't seem to hold on to the puck very long when the traffic gets a little heavy... tries to get rid of it quickly and ends up turning it over. This should improve with as he learns to think quicker and get used to the speed of the NHL game.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
Sorry I took so long...

Needs to improve: Patience with the puck... or even quicker decision making. He doesn't seem to hold on to the puck very long when the traffic gets a little heavy... tries to get rid of it quickly and ends up turning it over. This should improve with as he learns to think quicker and get used to the speed of the NHL game.

Least we forget that's he's played in only 3 regular season NHL games...But Ryder's hockey history to date shows a strong upward trend in improvement at every level in which he has competed. Meanwhile, if the 1st. three games are any indication, he will be excelling at the NHL level rather quickly!...Even I'm amased at not only how comfortable he looks on the ice, but also how he really seems to be enjoying himself out there! I feel these last two points are strong indicators when predicting the future success of any hockey player.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:25 AM
Darz

The best way I can describe Ryder this early in his NHL career is his total far exceeds the sum of his parts.
Although Ryder is not blessed with great speed, a head turning shot or intimidating size, he goes out and finds ways to get the job done. He's not afraid to go to the net, or mix it up in the corners (or with an opponent). His mucking style and his nose for the net might some day translate into a 30 goal season for him, but that is looking way to far ahead.

Old
10-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
The best way I can describe Ryder this early in his NHL career is his total far exceeds the sum of his parts.
Although Ryder is not blessed with great speed, a head turning shot or intimidating size, he goes out and finds ways to get the job done. He's not afraid to go to the net, or mix it up in the corners (or with an opponent). His mucking style and his nose for the net might some day translate into a 30 goal season for him, but that is looking way to far ahead.
Well, let's just say that you haven't seen his shot just yet because he has in fact a bullet!!!...Last year, shortly after Jason Ward was called up he said in an interview that he hadn't seen a shot (both wrist and slap shots) that was any harder than Ryder's...I can't recall exactly where I read it but if somebody else can please enlighten us...Meanwhile, if I do come across it I will let you know.

Old
10-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
Well, let's just say that you haven't seen his shot just yet because he has in fact a bullet!!!...Last year, shortly after Jason Ward was called up he said in an interview that he hadn't seen a shot (both wrist and slap shots) that was any harder than Ryder's...I can't recall exactly where I read it but if somebody else can please enlighten us...Meanwhile, if I do come across it I will let you know.
Actually I've seen ever shot Ryder has taken this year, and wasn't stating he has a bad or weak shot. In fact I think he shoots the puck very well and has a good quick release on his shot. But I don't think his shot will ever be considered one of the tops in the league. Imo, its not what I consider head turning.

Closed Thread