HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Old
05-17-2011, 12:45 AM
Furiousz Czerkawski
Wyklef, playboy.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
For the poster who was wondering about Brooklyn beers, last time I was in Sherbrooke they had both the Lager and the Pennant Ale. The ale is the better one for my tastes.
Cool, thanks. Haven't tried the Pennant Ale, but perhaps I'll try it out next time I venture out for some Brooklyn.

Furiousz Czerkawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 03:30 AM
the cook

Sherbrooke liquor - great selection but they carry alot of expired beers. trust me on that one. they have a habit of buying all they can of one beer when it comes available in the province. they just hope they sell it before it goes bad

keg and cork, last time i was in there i saw seasonal beers there were four months outdated. good selection but ask how long they have had it.

and believe it or not, devine wines downtown (close to where i live)has a great selection but its a smaller store so things get bought up quickly.

one thing people sometimes forget is that not all products are available all the time. innis and gunn rum cask, canadian cask, dogfish head are all examples of this. so be careful of what you buy and from where, ask how old it is.

and for beer bars in edmonton, sugarbowl, wunderbar, and next act are all great places. sugarbowl and wunderbar get the main recommendation because the staff are super knowledgeable.

the cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:49 AM
Ogurek

vCash: 50
Although they don't compare to the best European and North American beers, Asian beers aren't too bad. Some of my favourites:

Japan: Sapporo, Kirin, Asahi
Korea: Red Rock, Cass, Max, Black Beer Stout
China: Tsingtao
Vietnam: Hanoi, Saigon
Cambodia: Angkor Beer
Thailand: Chang, Singha
Laos: Beerlao
Singapore: Tiger Beer
Philippines: Red Horse, San Miguel

Ogurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogurek View Post
Although they don't compare to the best European and North American beers, Asian beers aren't too bad. Some of my favourites:

I've tried the Sapporo, Tsingtao, Angkor and Singha and they were all decent. I have to be in the mood for that lighter beer though. Most of the time, i'll stick with my Newcastle brown ale...mmm tasty stuff. I have a feeling that it would probably taste better overseas much like Guinness.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:20 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Sapporo is quite good (think I mentioned it in my first post), but they have to have the best beer commercial ever. This thing is epic.

Sapporo actually owns Sleemans. I bought one here in Australia before a trip to the city of Sapporo and I looked at the can and noticed it was imported from Canada. Craziness.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Hoogaar23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogurek View Post

I was just in Japan. Didn't see Kirin Ichiban anywhere. It was all just Asahi and Sapporo (and Heineken )

I like the Asahi on tap, but not as much as the Sapporo. And just a tidbit on Sapporo - they actually own Sleeman's (bought them in 2006). The Sapporo we have in cans here is brewed at the Sleeman Brewery in Guelph. The Sapporo in Japan tastes nothing like the Sapporo around here.

I was in Dubai in March and the hotel bar had Paulaner on tap. A wheat beer from Munich - quite good. I recently noticed bottles of it on our liquor store shelves here - need to give it a try in bottles.

And I also had a Lebanese beer - Almaza. That was quite tasty as well.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Ogurek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I've tried the Sapporo, Tsingtao, Angkor and Singha and they were all decent. I have to be in the mood for that lighter beer though. Most of the time, i'll stick with my Newcastle brown ale...mmm tasty stuff. I have a feeling that it would probably taste better overseas much like Guinness.
Agreed.... these asian beers aren't as good as the European beers mentioned in this thread but when you're sitting on the beach in Thailand drinking a bottle of Chang that only cost $1, it can't be beat.

Ogurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Oiler fan in Italy

Some of my faves are:

Perroni
Moretti (both are from italy)
Kronenberg ( france)
Kozel ( from Chezch rep)
Holsten ( Germany)
Grolsh ( Holland)
Becks ( Germany)
Estrella ( Spain)
Lowenbrau ( Germany)
Amstel

these are all that i have tried and are really good! if you pick any of those you will be drinking a nice beer! that is forsure.

Oiler fan in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
Now we're speaking my language.

After visiting Germany a few times and loving their beer, it made me interested in the craft breweries we have here.

I enjoyed beers like

König Ludwig Weissbier
König Ludwig Dunkel (for sure my favorite, too bad I can't find any here)
Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse
Schneider & Sohn Aventinus
Hofbräuhaus not just great beer, but great food. Pricey but it's worth it.

Anyone ever tried Yukon Brewery?
When I was at Accent European Lounge last Monday they had this stuff on tap. First time I had ever tried it and it was great.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Reimer...thanks for the great thread, I bought a couple of bottles of Innis & Gunn today thanks to you. A little expensive, but well worth it IMO. Very tasty and totally differant than anything I've tried before.

Hoegaar, I also got a 6 pack of the Hoergaarden, haven't tried it yet, but definitely will let you know my opinion.

Thanks guys, for making this a really expensive but tasty day
Hey no problem, glad you enjoyed it. As for the price tag I've always viewed it like school, its about quality over quantity.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cook View Post

one thing people sometimes forget is that not all products are available all the time. innis and gunn rum cask, canadian cask, dogfish head are all examples of this. so be careful of what you buy and from where, ask how old it is.

I just heard recently that the rum cask has been switched from a limited edition to their regular stock because of its popularity.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by millax View Post
If you are ever looking for any type of alcohol within Alberta, check out the website http://www.alberta-liquor-guide.com

It will tell you all stores and bars that sell any type of alcohol.

Anyways, any love for the local beers? I am a huge fan of the Maibock at Alleykat right now. Plus give me a Charlie Flint or Full Moon any day. Love the hops in that Full Moon.
This is the same website that brent posted earlier. It doesn't tell you what they ahve in stock it just shows that they have ordered it before. I checked one out last night that said they had the Innis Rum Cask and they didn't actually have it in stock last night when I went.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
phi1086

For those of you looking to enjoy your beer with a great meal try the Manor Bistro Click the link for their drink list. Always changing, always unique. Sugar Bowl is great and all, but their constant inability to keep their selection stocked borders on annoying. That's what happens when you print a list with 100 beers...

If you're like me and beer tastes best with Live Music and company, goto Wunderbar Hofbrauhaus. Great selection of imported pint cans. What's the point of drinking draught beer if it isn't actually imported and made by Molson breweries down the street?

phi1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Truth Movement

Innis & Gunn is a good way to get into the world of Barrel Aged Beers, but it's definitely aimed at beginners (not trying to be snobby). Other fabulous Barrel Aged Beers include Oud Bruhn, Bourbon County Stout and locally you have the Glen Sherbrooke beer from Alley Kat (which is fabulous).

Speaking of Alley Kat, it might be the best brewery in Canada (although Unibroue, Dieu De Ciel, Half Pints and Paddock Wood are all up there). Alley Kat makes some of the best session beers in Canada - including the Full Moon Pale Ale and the Alley Kat Amber, which are tasty and easy to drink. Alley Kat's Olde Deuteronomy Barley Wine has been voted the best beer in Canada and with good reason. It's a stunner. People who live in Edmonton should feel especially lucky because with breweries like Alley Kat and stores like Sherbrooke, Edmonton is definitely one of the best beer cities in Canada. The Alley Kat/Sherbrooke series of beers is definitely something to be proud of as these beers are only available locally and they're almost always stunners - favorites include the aforementioned Glen Sherbrooke, the Bad Hare Day Double IPA and the Heatseeker Coconut Curry Porter (sounds weird, but it's oh so good).

In terms of beer styles, here are some of my favorites:
Lager - Estrella Damm out of Spain. So refreshing.
Pale Ale - Full Moon from Edmonton
IPA - Victory Hopdevil out of Pennsylvania, Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA out of Delaware
Porter/Stout - Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout out of NY, Black Albert Belgian Stout, Alaskan Smoked Porter, Dieu De Ciel's Peche De Mortel
Barley Wine - Olde Deuteronomy
Trappist Ale - Haven't tried Westvleteran yet, so I'll have to go with the Rochefort 10
Non Trappist Belgian Ale - Gouden Carolus, Pannepot, Nostradamus (Belgium is Beer Heaven)
German Beer - Aventinus
Rauchbier - Aecht Schlenkerla
Brown Ale - Rogue Hazelnut Brown
Non-Belgian Tripel - La Fin Du Monde

Best all-around brewery - Mikkeller...if you see anything by them, get it. If nothing else it will be an adventure.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:38 PM
the cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post

Best all-around brewery - Mikkeller...if you see anything by them, get it. If nothing else it will be an adventure.
Interesting thing about Mikkeller, its actually not a brewery but its one guy who goes around and makes beer with people from breweries.

I mentioned earlier how i try to avoid Sherbrooke, but if you can catch the new stuff when it comes in its great. Between them, Keg and Cork, and DeVines edmonton is pretty lucky

Old
05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I heard that Alley Kat and Sherbrook also teamed up to make a beer called Single Star that was aged in JD barrels. I was gonna grab one but it was pricey at $6.50 a bottle. Definitely on my list to try though.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:43 PM
the cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I just heard recently that the rum cask has been switched from a limited edition to their regular stock because of its popularity.
Doesnt matter if it is limited edition or regular stock, if they are out in the warehouse, they are out. And yes, all the booze delivered to alberta comes from one warehouse.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Doesnt matter if it is limited edition or regular stock, if they are out in the warehouse, they are out. And yes, all the booze delivered to alberta comes from one warehouse.
Yes I understand that. But what I meant is that it should be coming into regular stock. Probably still 8 months to a year away from seeing it stocked regularly everywhere I would guess.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
the cook

Quote:
Yes I understand that. But what I meant is that it should be coming into regular stock. Probably still 8 months to a year away from seeing it stocked regularly everywhere I would guess.
Depends how for along i think, Proably the biggest factor would be if they can get their hands on enough rum casks and have a consistant product

Old
05-17-2011, 07:55 PM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
When I was at Accent European Lounge last Monday they had this stuff on tap. First time I had ever tried it and it was great.
For real? Well now I know where I'll be going when I visit home again

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:35 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Nice thread.

Lately I have been on a big kick of pacific northwest beers. Pike brewery makes some great stuff.

I don't think any one has mentioned any local brews. Ally Kat has some great beers, people love the apricot but personally I go for the full moon or the Amber. Amber brewery (the brewery not the beer) has some great stuff, their new cinnamon beer is good and I have always been a big fan of their sap vampire.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:39 AM
0ilerman
The King

newcastle brown ale, on tap preferably. rickards dark is a decent substitute if it's not available
i loathe all brewsters beer...

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Depends how for along i think, Proably the biggest factor would be if they can get their hands on enough rum casks and have a consistant product
Oh for sure, for the sake of beer lovers and Innis fans, lets hope they are able to do this because that stuff is great. For now I will just frequent Sherbrooke when I can and buy half a dozen at a time.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD View Post
For real? Well now I know where I'll be going when I visit home again
Yah man I would lie to you. I've been getting into dark beers lately and that definitely went up higher on my list after I finished a pint.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Nice thread.

Lately I have been on a big kick of pacific northwest beers. Pike brewery makes some great stuff.

I don't think any one has mentioned any local brews. Ally Kat has some great beers, people love the apricot but personally I go for the full moon or the Amber. Amber brewery (the brewery not the beer) has some great stuff, their new cinnamon beer is good and I have always been a big fan of their sap vampire.
Honestly and I don't know why. Maybe from being sheltered or not taking enough time to do my research but I had always thought that Big Rock was closest biggest brewery to us. Boy was I wrong. I heard about Alley Kat just prior to beer fest at Sherbrooke liquor store when they were selling the Single Star(the oak aged beer that Alley Kat makes in JD barrels). Then at Beerfest the Hudson's booth was selling the Aprikat and I fell in love with the stuff, a little sweet so I would only want one or two of them. Tried the full moon later that night and again decent beer the the hopps bitterness in the aftertaste is pretty harsh and would leave me to only wanting a couple of these at most in a night. Then I had the Amber and thought it was pretty solid and then I had the Charlie Flint last night and wow, definitely don't need to look back. Just gonna pick this stuff up straight from the brewery at their beer store.

They also sell 20L & 50L kegs of their 4 main beers. The 20L keg is like $80 and the 50L is like $189. Looks like I'll be planning a Stanley Cup party or two.