HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2011 USHL Entry Draft

Old
05-16-2011, 11:34 AM
billycanuck

vCash: 500
2011 USHL Entry Draft

Can be followed live here: www.ushldraft.com

Chicago Steel had first overall pick and they selected center Brian Christie from the Topeka RoadRunners (NAHL)

billycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 11:39 AM
billycanuck

Sorry, relatively new to the USHL, but isn't this league a Jr.A league?

So why do USHL teams draft Canadian Jr.A players?

For example, Omaha Lancers just drafted Victor Newell (from Burnaby, British Columbia) who played for the Nanaimo Clippers in the BCHL and already has committed to Harvard University.

Old
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Because USHL is considered higher than Junior A.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Because USHL is considered higher than Junior A. Even though some leagues like BCHL and USHL are close talent wise, USHL is the highest junior hockey in the US and gets much more exposure than Junior A in Canada.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:44 PM
overtheboards

If its a higher level of junior A , Why do lots of Canadian players leave the ushl after their first year in that league to return to play junior A in Canada and then sign with an ncaa school .

overtheboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 05:44 AM
Reynys

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheboards View Post
If its a higher level of junior A , Why do lots of Canadian players leave the ushl after their first year in that league to return to play junior A in Canada and then sign with an ncaa school .
I'm guessing one of reasons for that might be the foreigner limit, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Reynys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynys View Post
I'm guessing one of reasons for that might be the foreigner limit, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Good guess.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynys View Post

Nope. After they play a full season in the league, they are no longer "imports".

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:45 AM
billycanuck

Just a quick count on the BCHL's commitment page and there are 90+ NCAA D1 college commitments for players in that league. That is pretty impressive for a Canadian Jr.A league. Of course it doesn't compare to the USHL's commitment page; #1 route to a NCAA D1 school. Just surprised to see USHL teams drafting Canadian players, especially ones with Jr.A experience and college commitments.

I have seen a lot of Jr.A games in Canada, but have yet to see a USHL game so I am not sure on talent comparisons.

Would love to see a BCHL vs USHL exhibition series.

Old
05-17-2011, 01:42 PM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Just a quick count on the BCHL's commitment page and there are 90+ NCAA D1 college commitments for players in that league. That is pretty impressive for a Canadian Jr.A league. Of course it doesn't compare to the USHL's commitment page; #1 route to a NCAA D1 school. Just surprised to see USHL teams drafting Canadian players, especially ones with Jr.A experience and college commitments.

I have seen a lot of Jr.A games in Canada, but have yet to see a USHL game so I am not sure on talent comparisons.

One reason that NCAA recruits more from the USHL is that they're American and a lot of NCAA schools pick Americans before Canadians.

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
bobg1

Bchl

Why isn't the BCHL profiled more considering they're the highest ranked Junior A league next to the CHL?

bobg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:45 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post

A few years ago the top USHL teams battled against some teams from the OHL for preseason and all the games were actually really close. 60/40 wins for the OHL teams. Again this was the top teams from the USHL against teams that raged all over the standings of the OHL.

Old
05-18-2011, 06:44 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
A few years ago the top USHL teams battled against some teams from the OHL for preseason and all the games were actually really close. 60/40 wins for the OHL teams. Again this was the top teams from the USHL against teams that raged all over the standings of the OHL.
I didn't know about the OHL series, but I do remember the QMJHL series. Good showing for the USHL, opened up peoples eyes in Canada about American junior hockey.

Still don't understand Jr.A tier 3 though. Saw a tier 3 Jr.A game a couple of years ago, looked more like Canada Jr.B. It shouldn't be called Jr.A when players have fork over so much money to play in those leagues.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

It was either the Q or OHL it was long ago so it seems I forgot.

Yeah Junior A tiers I, II, or III are just for marketing to attract players. But everyone smart knows which league they want to play in that has the most scouts from CHL and NCAA teams. The top leagues for Junior A and above are USHL, NAHL, EJHL, BCHL, AJHL, and Ontario's A league.

Old
05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
It was either the Q or OHL it was long ago so it seems I forgot.

Yeah Junior A tiers I, II, or III are just for marketing to attract players. But everyone smart knows which league they want to play in that has the most scouts from CHL and NCAA teams. The top leagues for Junior A and above are USHL, NAHL, EJHL, BCHL, AJHL, and Ontario's A league.
It was against the Q

SPORTSMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote