HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

HF Beer Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2011, 09:32 AM
  #76
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
newcastle brown ale, on tap preferably. rickards dark is a decent substitute if it's not available
i loathe all brewsters beer...
I always thought Brewsters stuff was alright. But at Beerfest I tried their stout for the first time and I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Liked it more than Guiness. But like most people here have said Guiness is far better overseas, not that I know I'm just echoing their sentiment.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:38 AM
  #77
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Also I have to ask the question because it's been bugging me for a while and I want to see if others agree with me.

But I find that all beers taste far superior on tap than in a can or bottle. A few examples are:

Stella takes like **** in a bottle but is good on tap
Rickards Dark, White & Keiths Red is good in a bottle and even better on tap
Grasshopper & Heiniken taste like crap in a bottle but again taste good on tap

If anyone else agrees with me can you explain why beer tastes better on tap.

Also I think a good beer glass helps beer too. I bough a 4-pack of guiness draught last night and drank the first one out of the can and thought it tasted rather watered down. Then I put the second one in a Duvel beer glass and I thought it tasted more like what you would get on tap at a pub. Is this just me thinking it taste better or do these things actually make a difference?

Just curious to know what you guys think.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
  #78
Ogurek
Registered User
 
Ogurek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 94
vCash: 50
Do you pour the bottle of beer into a glass or drink straight from the bottle?
I think beer tastes better on tap due to the beer's aroma in the glass prior to tasting (similar to wine). You get to smell the beer before tasting which adds another element to the drinking experience.

Ogurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:54 AM
  #79
Ogurek
Registered User
 
Ogurek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 94
vCash: 50
I found a website and this is what they had to say on the keg vs bottle debate:

The primary reason why kegged beer tastes better is oxygen. Oxygen is the enemy of any beer - it slowly combines with carbohydrate, hop and alcohol molecules, and this process of oxidation causes a crisp, sweet, fresh beer to taste stale. Whereas bottles contain quite a bit of airspace with oxygen, kegs are filled to the very top. A 12 ounce bottled beer usually contains substantially more oxygen than an equal sample of its kegged version.

Unlike glass, kegs also protect beer from the harmful effects of light that can react with hops to produce the unpleasant "skunky" notes often encountered in beers packaged in clear or green bottles. Sachin Patel, owner of Five Points Bottle Shop, explains, "Most beer connoisseurs understand keg beer has not seen the light of day and is normally kept colder through the whole distribution process. These two factors help maintain a fresher flavor."

In terms of longevity, most standard bottled beers should be consumed within three to six months after leaving the brewery. Bottled beers sometimes sit on retail shelves or in coolers for months, but pubs and restaurants order kegs based on current demand, and these kegs are usually drained in short order. As a rule of thumb, the higher the alcohol of the beer, the longer it can stand up to age in the bottle or keg.

Ogurek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
  #80
0ilerman
The King
 
0ilerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Capital City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
keg beer isn't pasturized and is usually less carbonated. Makes for an easier to drink and tastier beer. I learned that on Drinking made Easy. Love that show!

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
  #81
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogurek View Post
Do you pour the bottle of beer into a glass or drink straight from the bottle?
I think beer tastes better on tap due to the beer's aroma in the glass prior to tasting (similar to wine). You get to smell the beer before tasting which adds another element to the drinking experience.
Ahhh that would make sense. If I'm drinking Kokanee or pissy canadian I will just leave it in the bottle. If I'm drinking Innis I usually will pour it into a glass. but that makes complete sense on the senses being part of the total experience like drinking wine.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
  #82
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogurek View Post
I found a website and this is what they had to say on the keg vs bottle debate:

The primary reason why kegged beer tastes better is oxygen. Oxygen is the enemy of any beer - it slowly combines with carbohydrate, hop and alcohol molecules, and this process of oxidation causes a crisp, sweet, fresh beer to taste stale. Whereas bottles contain quite a bit of airspace with oxygen, kegs are filled to the very top. A 12 ounce bottled beer usually contains substantially more oxygen than an equal sample of its kegged version.

Unlike glass, kegs also protect beer from the harmful effects of light that can react with hops to produce the unpleasant "skunky" notes often encountered in beers packaged in clear or green bottles. Sachin Patel, owner of Five Points Bottle Shop, explains, "Most beer connoisseurs understand keg beer has not seen the light of day and is normally kept colder through the whole distribution process. These two factors help maintain a fresher flavor."

In terms of longevity, most standard bottled beers should be consumed within three to six months after leaving the brewery. Bottled beers sometimes sit on retail shelves or in coolers for months, but pubs and restaurants order kegs based on current demand, and these kegs are usually drained in short order. As a rule of thumb, the higher the alcohol of the beer, the longer it can stand up to age in the bottle or keg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ilerman View Post
keg beer isn't pasturized and is usually less carbonated. Makes for an easier to drink and tastier beer. I learned that on Drinking made Easy. Love that show!
Awesome, thanks for this guys. I figured there had to be a reason, but I surely didn't know what that reason was.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
  #83
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 500
Yeah, the green and clear bottles are horrible for beer.

I always thought Heineken was a horrible beer until I tasted it on tap. Not my favorite, but definitely better than the skunk ale you almost always get from the green bottles.

I always pour my beer in a glass. Releases a lot of the CO2 (which reduced the feeling of bloating), and like another poster said, allows your nose in on the action, enhancing the flavor of the beer.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
  #84
dixs35
Registered User
 
dixs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,454
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentz0r View Post
I was a bar manager at Original Joe's for a couple of years, and had the pleasure of bringing in whatever imports I wanted. Sampled a lot, and brought in a lot of great beers. Unfortunately our supplier was on Stony Plain rd, so that doesn't really give you a solution to the long drive to pick up good beer.
What you can do though, is check out http://www.liquorconnect.com which used the be the alberta liquor guide. You can look for particular items and bring up lists of stores that have previously ordered that item. I've found a few things on there and just called around to see where it was available and in stock.

As far as awesome beers go, I agree with Innis and Gunn! Such a solid and unique beer.
If you're into darks the St Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is unreal. Very dark and a bit heavy, but the flavors are great.
If you haven't tried anything from Unibroue out of Quebec, you should do yourself a favor. Pretty much all of their beers are refermented in the bottle, and have a higher alcohol content, but if you drink them in the right glass they are another one of those unique, crazy flavorful beers.

I have many more suggestions if you want them! Original Joe's used to use my old order guide, but they have changed things quite a bit since I left, but they still have a pretty solid selection. Also the Sugar Bowl has a great selection of imports, and some amazing beers on tap as well and is located just off 109th street just south of the high level bridge.

Happy drinking!
just because you worked there doesn't mean you were the manager. It must have been a large step backwards working for me. tisk tisk fibber. lol

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
  #85
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
just because you worked there doesn't mean you were the manager. It must have been a large step backwards working for me. tisk tisk fibber. lol
What now?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:45 PM
  #86
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Alright, now that most people have listed their favourite beers. Where is the best place to find them(in Edmonton) and about how much can a guy expect to pay for it?

I'm really most interested in Dark stout beers as of late.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:13 AM
  #87
the cook
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: deadmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Alright, now that most people have listed their favourite beers. Where is the best place to find them(in Edmonton) and about how much can a guy expect to pay for it?

I'm really most interested in Dark stout beers as of late.
go to Sherbrooke or Devine Wines and get the Mikkellers. They have a bunch of new to Alberta products. Heard the Imperial Black Stout was amazing. I am actually trying the whole line thats availiable right now on sunday, pretty stoked

the cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:50 AM
  #88
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yah man I would lie to you. I've been getting into dark beers lately and that definitely went up higher on my list after I finished a pint.
Yeah I tend to drink a lot of dark beers as well. I fell in love with that beer whe I first tried it and now I am glad I don't have to travel all the way back to Bavaria just to have one.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:52 AM
  #89
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Anyone ever tried Okanagan Spring Porter? Real good beer if you're into that type.

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:34 AM
  #90
dude67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
The best beer comes from CZH and GER my favorite on a sunny day in grass is

1 Staropramen
2 Spaten
3 Aventinus
5 Weltenburger Klosterbier
6Pilsner Urquell

dude67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:19 AM
  #91
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude67 View Post
The best beer comes from CZH and GER my favorite on a sunny day in grass is

1 Staropramen
2 Spaten
3 Aventinus
5 Weltenburger Klosterbier
6Pilsner Urquell
Is there a number 4 or is this list the result of drinking one too many of 1-3?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:20 AM
  #92
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the cook View Post
go to Sherbrooke or Devine Wines and get the Mikkellers. They have a bunch of new to Alberta products. Heard the Imperial Black Stout was amazing. I am actually trying the whole line thats availiable right now on sunday, pretty stoked
Awesome thanks for the recommendation.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
  #93
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude67 View Post
The best beer comes from CZH and GER my favorite on a sunny day in grass is

1 Staropramen
2 Spaten
3 Aventinus
5 Weltenburger Klosterbier
6Pilsner Urquell
The Belgians say Hi

I had Pilsner Urquell on tap in Prague this past summer. Friggin amazing compared to the stuff in cans.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:08 PM
  #94
Truth Movement
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Just had Mikkeller's George (Russian Imperial Stout) last night. 'Twas a dandy. Lots of flavor.

Truth Movement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:00 PM
  #95
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 5380
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Sweet just found this thread.

Just got some great BC, Alberta and Sask beers in a trade lately.

Tree Brewing, Driftwood, Granville Island, Bushwakker, Paddock Wood, Alley Kat. Great, great stuff.

Local to me is Dieu du Ciel, Charlevoix, Great Lakes. Anybody want to swap some stuff, let me know.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
  #96
Hoogaar23
Registered User
 
Hoogaar23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Sweet just found this thread.

Just got some great BC, Alberta and Sask beers in a trade lately.

Tree Brewing, Driftwood, Granville Island, Bushwakker, Paddock Wood, Alley Kat. Great, great stuff.

Local to me is Dieu du Ciel, Charlevoix, Great Lakes. Anybody want to swap some stuff, let me know.
Who makes those? And are you allowed/able to ship beer?

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:46 PM
  #97
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad
 
OFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
I had Pilsner Urquell on tap in Prague this past summer. Friggin amazing compared to the stuff in cans.
MUCH better over there.

I went to the U Fleků brewery while I was there. The beer was too good. It was 16% alcohol which is pretty dangerous

OFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:31 PM
  #98
cfrancis
Registered User
 
cfrancis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,305
vCash: 5380
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogaar23 View Post
Who makes those? And are you allowed/able to ship beer?
Those are all the breweries. Technically you are not allowed to ship beer. But it happens all the time. Shipping domestically you are not required to label the contents. So as long as you pack it soundly so they don't break you should be good to go.

It's a double standard, you are able to ship wine but not beer. Scratch your head on that one. I usually use styrofoam wine shippers and never had a bottle break.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:43 PM
  #99
dopeschemes
Registered User
 
dopeschemes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Sherbrooke ftw. Biggest beer selection in Canada!


I've been pounding back lots of Lagunitas IPA. Been drinking extremely hoppy ipa's as of late

dopeschemes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:48 PM
  #100
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeschemes View Post
Sherbrooke ftw. Biggest beer selection in Canada!


I've been pounding back lots of Lagunitas IPA. Been drinking extremely hoppy ipa's as of late
My girlfriend hates when I go to Sherbrook because I take so damn long. Now I just go by myself and spend the night there. They should have a cashier in the beer cooler and I would just pay by the bottle and consume in there.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.