HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miller, Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Backstrom, Brodeur?

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Flyers have a better chance of talking Patrick Roy out of retirement than getting any of these goalies.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Bryzgalov is being overrated?
Yup. He has Cup experience, solid numbers, and if you talk with many Phx fans they will tell you the only reason Phx made the playoffs was because he got them there. He is 31, in his prime, put Pronger/Meszaros, Timonen/Coburn, Gustafsson/O'Donnell in front of him in the playoffs and he wins you a couple games, maybe even steals a series.

He had seven shutouts this past season, and eight the year before. He is a guy who can be the workhorse for this team over the next four seasons, and he is a proven, legit #1 goalie.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:50 AM
BernieParent

It would be a smart move on Holmgren's part to leak this type of information to either a complicit or clueless (decide for yourselves where Gormley fits) reporter as a "source" to expand the conversation away from just "we've gotta sign Vokoun or Bryzgalov". Yes, it's as transparent as Saran Wrap, but it's too easy a bone to toss into the chaos of hockey speculation at this point in the off-season.

As an aside, does anyone else get that "Groundhog Day" feeling they posted pretty much the exact same things last off-season (with obvious name changes)? I was reading through another fan board going back to 2009, and it was scary how the specific points "We've got to solve our goal problem", etc. are still relevant.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
As an aside, does anyone else get that "Groundhog Day" feeling they posted pretty much the exact same things last off-season (with obvious name changes)? I was reading through another fan board going back to 2009, and it was scary how the specific points – "We've got to solve our goal problem", etc. – are still relevant.
Actually in my case it's been 25 years of Groundhog day. It's not scary..it's actually quite pathetic but when you base your goaltending philosophy off of the soviet mentality that "your goaltending is the product of your team" despite Tretiak actually being a legit world class goalie well you get what we've been getting.....or not getting...(A CUP!)

Old
05-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It would be a smart move on Holmgren's part to leak this type of information to either a complicit or clueless (decide for yourselves where Gormley fits) reporter as a "source" to expand the conversation away from just "we've gotta sign Vokoun or Bryzgalov". Yes, it's as transparent as Saran Wrap, but it's too easy a bone to toss into the chaos of hockey speculation at this point in the off-season.

As an aside, does anyone else get that "Groundhog Day" feeling they posted pretty much the exact same things last off-season (with obvious name changes)? I was reading through another fan board going back to 2009, and it was scary how the specific points "We've got to solve our goal problem", etc. are still relevant.
Yep.

Which is why I advocate getting a goalie, but my prediction is that we see Bob and Boosh again.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yep.

Which is why I advocate getting a goalie, but my prediction is that we see Bob and Boosh again.
They'll change up the deck chairs IMO but it won't be the fix most are looking for....it happened with Beezer and Biron.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
They'll change up the deck chairs IMO but it won't be the fix most are looking for....it happened with Beezer and Biron.
So begins the era of Vesa Toskala.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

Old
05-18-2011, 12:08 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

brodeur was meant to play for nj, and only nj. you dont want him, and you cant have him. what a dumb article

Old
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Leaf fans telling us how underrated he was 2 years ago .

Would rather us start the new guy then TosLOLa

Old
05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Yep.

We are obviously gonna trade Bob for a 4th line enforcer who Homer tells us "can take faceoffs" even though he never took faceoffs before. We will then go with a Leighton/Boosh combo. Homer will tell us he thinks Leighton will bounce back from an off season and back to the form where he carried us to the Stanley Cup Finals. He will tell us Boosh brings great experience and is a great guy in the locker room.

Im already preparing myself.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The folks trying to justify the 6M cap hits are absolutely overrating him.
He is the only goalie worth spending that kind of money on, I think you are underrating the seriousness of addressing the goaltender issue. It needs to stop, this offseason, you do whatever it takes to ensure you have a legit #1 goalie in place by 7/2/11.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post

brodeur was meant to play for nj, and only nj. you dont want him, and you cant have him. what a dumb article
Agreed. His name stuck out at me as an enormous WTF, and pretty much killed any credibility this article might have had...that's before going into Lundqvist and Miller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Leaf fans telling us how underrated he was 2 years ago .

Would rather us start the new guy then TosLOLa
Watch, Homer will pick him up and say that he just needs another chance in the NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
We are obviously gonna trade Bob for a 4th line enforcer who Homer tells us "can take faceoffs" even though he never took faceoffs before. We will then go with a Leighton/Boosh combo. Homer will tell us he thinks Leighton will bounce back from an off season and back to the form where he carried us to the Stanley Cup Finals. He will tell us Boosh brings great experience and is a great guy in the locker room.

Im already preparing myself.
I consider this unlikely. You'll notice, however, that I didn't say it's impossible. Honestly...who the hell knows with this GM. Obvious problems don't have obvious solutions with him, clearly. It's time to see if he's learned from his past offseason (all the waiving at the end of the season makes me doubt his ability to learn, though), and hope that his cap decisions don't make things impossible.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
He is the only goalie worth spending that kind of money on, I think you are underrating the seriousness of addressing the goaltender issue. It needs to stop, this offseason, you do whatever it takes to ensure you have a legit #1 goalie in place by 7/2/11.
I think you don't understand the contract market for goalies.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:39 PM
2Claude2Giroux

The only way I could ever see Ryan Miller coming here was before Pegula took control. Now they'll have the money to re-sign him if they want.

Old
05-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Ryan Miller's interview skills are so bad. It's like watching paint dry. We could do better.

Old
05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Beastieboy

Henrik and Marty, never in a million years in my opinion. Kipper - could be had if they go in rebuild mode, which appears possible. Miller... highly unlikely, however, they did like how Enroth played in 2011 so they at least have a plan B. Backstrom, possible, but what is their plan B in Minnesota?

Due to the cap hits and the big names here, can't see anything materializing unless Carter is involved. Based on the way Homer traded rather than signed last summer, it is possible he goes after a starter via trade rather than risk coming up empty or "over priced" in the UFA market.

Old
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
An easy way to solve the problem of the goal tending is to sign Ilya Bryzgalov. Who's better than Backstrom and Kipprussof.

Old
05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I love how we could get Backstrom and Burns for Carle and Versteeg lol

Old
05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
decadentia

I really don't understand some of you. We already need to do some tinkering/trades to be cap compliant, you all realize this correct?

If we try and pursue a 6+ Mil goalie, our team is going to have to change dramatically. Yes we would be sounder in net, but we'd lose a chunk of our offense or defense...Not to mention we have to worry about our cap situation for the next year to sign someone quite important.

We need a goalie around the 4 mil range or under. How does Vokoun not make more sense than any of these other goalies?

This board is so bi-polar sometimes, its like a herd of you are some rambling mob "goalie goalie goalie". Let's not be so dramatic as to completely blow up the team for a goalie, let's work with what we have, trade assets that are worth something that we can do without (See: Versteeg/Carle etc) and get ourselves a realistic goalie. Who I might add, can probably perform on par with any of the ones mentioned if he has an average season for himself here. Yes, an average season for him will do this.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:28 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

6 million for Backstrom? Yeah, no thanks.

Old
05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I really don't understand some of you. We already need to do some tinkering/trades to be cap compliant, you all realize this correct?

If we try and pursue a 6+ Mil goalie, our team is going to have to change dramatically. Yes we would be sounder in net, but we'd lose a chunk of our offense or defense...Not to mention we have to worry about our cap situation for the next year to sign someone quite important.

We need a goalie around the 4 mil range or under. How does Vokoun not make more sense than any of these other goalies?

This board is so bi-polar sometimes, its like a herd of you are some rambling mob "goalie goalie goalie". Let's not be so dramatic as to completely blow up the team for a goalie, let's work with what we have, trade assets that are worth something that we can do without (See: Versteeg/Carle etc) and get ourselves a realistic goalie. Who I might add, can probably perform on par with any of the ones mentioned if he has an average season for himself here. Yes, an average season for him will do this.
Thank you sir!

6 million for a goalie, especially with our cap situation, is absurd. My only slight disagreement is that I may go up to 5 for a goalie (I'd like to be at the 4 you mentioned however), it would just mean Versteeg/Hartnell and Carle have to go for sure. I'm ok with that.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
JVR21
G

I wouldn't even think about trading Giroux, Carter, JVR, or Richards, let alone two of them, for any goalie in the world.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I wouldn't even think about trading Giroux, Carter, JVR, or Richards, let alone two of them, for any goalie in the world.
I agree. That group should be considered untouchable...we should be building around them. Hartnell, however...

Old
05-18-2011, 03:36 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Carle and Versteeg for Tim Thomas and Crosby.

Problem solved.

Closed Thread