HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Titans\Vols\Dores\Whatever other sport thread(IT ALL GOES HERE)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Definitely dig the Jake Locker pick.
he will definitely turn some titan fans into preds fans, with his inability to hit water while falling out of a boat

Old
04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
How does Pearl fit into Kentucky's culture? ...
Because he is willing to cheat. And in Kentucky and basketball, that's a badge of honor.

Quote:
As for Calipari, the only legitimate blemish on his resume is the Camby situation. And something similar happened at Duke with Corey Maggette. The biggest difference between the Camby and Maggette situations appears to have been the clout of the university involved and the corresponding punishment.

The Rose scandal is the NCAA's blemish and not Calipari's, Memphis', Illinois', North Carolina's, Kansas' and any other school who recruited Rose heavily well after he had allegedly cheated. The NCAA cleared him and then went on the warpath when it was later found that he cheating might have occurred.

And because they couldn't ever prove anything thanks to Derrick Rose's lack of cooperation, they went with the unprecedented scorched earch policy of blaming everyone and unveiling the latest evolution in NCAA justice, "strict liability." Such a concept was conspicuously absent from incidences with Maggette and Darrel Arthur, who didn't even graduate high school yet his NCAA championship at KU stood.

Old
05-16-2011, 07:51 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Belmont moving to Ohio Valley Conference in 2012-13 academic year.

This will be the second northern member of the Atlantic Sun to leave in as many years, with Campbell leaving for the Big South in the fall. There's speculation that TN State may be looking to move to the SWAC to replace Jacksonville State, which has an eye on the Sun Belt. That would open up that 12th spot in the OVC for a possible move for Lipscomb, allowing the Battle of the Boulevard to continue in a relevant fashion.

The Atlantic Sun might be the first conference to dissolve from all this recent shuffling, and even if it doesn't, radical changes could be coming. Kennesaw State has FCS aspirations and will likely leave in eight years or less, and the conference could also lose Mercer for similar reasons. ETSU could be up in the air depending on what changes the new president makes when he/she takes office in January.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 05-16-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old
05-17-2011, 09:33 AM
token grinder

I see the OVC becoming what the big east did a few years ago. Half the conference plays football (8-10) teasm and the others are basketball plus other sports that don't get pub. I can see ETSU re-joining the ovc along with Lipscomb

Old
05-17-2011, 09:44 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Definitely dig the Jake Locker pick.
It will go down as a bad pick, in my opinion. There are no great NFL QBs (other than Michael Vick) who aren't super accurate. Manning, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers, and Brees are all incredibly accurate. And apparently, QBs rarely substantially improve their accuracy from college to the pros, meaning if they don't have it at the NCAA level, they'll never have it.

You have your secondary tier of "sometimes accurate" that includes Roethlisberger and Freeman and a half dozen others that are great at times but not so great at others. Those are the guys that thread the needle on that amazing TD pass to Santonio Holmes in the Super Bowl then routinely miss open receivers in a subsequent Super Bowl and are a big reason for the loss.

In college, however, Locker wasn't sometimes accurate. He was consistently inaccurate. So basically, for Locker to be successful, he'll have to buck the trend just to even reach that second tier. And the only players from that second tier who are legitimately successful (i.e. Super Bowl or near Super Bowl success) do so with amazing help from top defenses. I'd prefer not to draft someone with a top pick when, statistically speaking, the odds of them being even a second tier QB are slim and of him being a first tier QB are almost non-existent.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 05-17-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old
05-17-2011, 10:50 PM
OpenWheel

I love the Locker pick. He's a player.

He made enough accurate throws to have a heck of a highlight reel. He CAN thread it. He makes enough off balance or running throws, or throws where he tries to put it in a spot where only his receiver can make a play that his touch looks worse then it is. The stats guys say his receivers had 20+ more drops then Gabbert's guys, and if they had only had 5 more drops, then Locker's percentage was almost the same. It was frustrating watching his highlights and trying to find his guys getting separation, because it was rarely there, but when a guy did, Locker usually got it to him. One scout said he had more completions over ten yards than under ten so it's a good arm.

Even if Palmer can't make him any more accurate then a guy he coached, Eli Manning (who is not accurate...) well, maybe Locker can only win one superbowl also, instead of multiples.

His accuracy gets an unfair rap. Some guys can make plays, I believe he'll be one of them. Good pick.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 05-17-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old
05-18-2011, 08:38 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I love the Locker pick. He's a player.

He made enough accurate throws to have a heck of a highlight reel. He CAN thread it. He makes enough off balance or running throws, or throws where he tries to put it in a spot where only his receiver can make a play that his touch looks worse then it is. The stats guys say his receivers had 20+ more drops then Gabbert's guys, and if they had only had 5 more drops, then Locker's percentage was almost the same. It was frustrating watching his highlights and trying to find his guys getting separation, because it was rarely there, but when a guy did, Locker usually got it to him. One scout said he had more completions over ten yards than under ten so it's a good arm.

Even if Palmer can't make him any more accurate then a guy he coached, Eli Manning (who is not accurate...) well, maybe Locker can only win one superbowl also, instead of multiples.

His accuracy gets an unfair rap. Some guys can make plays, I believe he'll be one of them. Good pick.
Every QB with a strong arm CAN make highlight reel throws. Even a blind man will eventually hit a bulls-eye. When you have a kid who has thrown 1,200 passes, you are going to find highlight reel plays in there somewhere. So you can disregard most highlight packages because they aren't likely to be representative of the athlete.

As for him being a 'player,' I guess I just don't understand what that means. I hear Gruden say it on MNF all the time, but its basically nonsensical praise and often a filler in the place of tangible attributes.

And "some guys make plays"? If he was truly a playmaker, why were his teams so bad? Wouldn't a playmaker just make plays? Despite that, his offense was never more than average at Washington. And it's not like he was playing against SEC defenses. Besides, in the NFL, playmakers are super talents. There are few, if any, average talents that are playmakers. The players who make plays are the super-talents like Peyton Manning, Andre Johnson, etc. Can't recall the last inaccurate passer that was considered a playmaker. I guess you could say Roethlisberger, though he was significantly more accurate than Locker at this stage. But like Favre, he was much more of a "risk-taker" than a playmaker. Which meant that for every play he made for his own team above what the average QB did, he made one for the other team above what the average QB did.

The issue with Locker is the issue I have with sports analysis. There's really very little in the way of tangible metrics that support him actually being a legitimate starter in the NFL. So fans of his just ignore those stats and call him a "player" or "leader" and talk about how gutsy he is and how much he wants to win. The problem with that analysis is everyone in the NFL was a "player" at college. They almost all have immense desires to win. And the aggregation of those tangibles and intangibles that made Jake Locker a mediocre QB in college stand to make him the same in the pros.

In the end, he might be a good NFL QB, though he'd have to buck so many trends in the league for that to happen. He'll likely just be a mediocre QB who looks good when his team looks good and bad when his team looks bad, just like almost every other QB in the league. So, in my mind, the Titans spent the 8th overall pick on a QB who'll end up just like most other quarterbacks in the league, including those who were 2nd day picks and undrafted players. In hockey parlance, they drafted a 3rd/4th line checker with their 8th overall pick. He could become Ryan Kesler and score 40 goals, but he's more likely to be Adam Hall.

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't have drafted Gabbert at 8 either. Newton is the only one I would have considered only because he has an amazing athletic ability and you might get 'Vick-lucky' with him and an 8th overall is more appropriate. Wouldn't have drafted him first overall though and would only consider him at 8.

Last edited by SmokeyClause: 05-18-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Old
05-18-2011, 04:07 PM
OpenWheel

Of course anybody can look good on highlight films. Which is why I wonder why a couple qb's who were supposed to be better than Locker look so very average on their films, while Locker looked good?

Quote:
As for him being a 'player,' I guess I just don't understand what that means.
It means he can get the job done.What do you think it means? It's the same as saying "he's a stud" or whatever other superlative people use.

Quote:
I hear Gruden say it on MNF all the time, but its basically nonsensical praise and often a filler in the place of tangible attributes.
Sometimes it is filler. But sometimes it isn't. Sounds like you have an issue with the term whenever it's used, which seems like blind spot, to me. People know the difference between merely stats and between guys who will actually be able to play in the NFL who don't have those "system numbers".

Quote:
If he was truly a playmaker, why were his teams so bad?
What? He was supposed to build the whole team? Draft his receivers? Build the O-line? Yeah, he had a lot of poor areas on that team, yet he still had some numbers.

Quote:
The issue with Locker is the issue I have with sports analysis. There's really very little in the way of tangible metrics that support him actually being a legitimate starter in the NFL.
Yes, there are tangible metrics that support him being a good starter. You just disagree so you want to poo poo terms that people use to laud him. Would it have been better if I said he was not a player, but would still be a great quarterback? That wouldn't make sense.

A player means a talent who will be able to get the job done. Making plays, which you poke about, means some guys can still make a completion or a scramble when something goes wrong, others can't. (Roethlisberger makes plays... When you are unsure of whether he is in that category, or whether he is extremely acurate, which he is, wow, I guess you only consider the top three or four NFL starters to be playmakers or accurate.) True that most use it to mean someone who can use their athleticism and improvise and it's part of what I see, but not as an excuse, but an advantage Locker has. Yes "a player" should mean someone such as Manning who mentally adjusts and uses his accuracy, but in one respect you are right it can be used as an excuse just because someone can run. But in this case it isn't, Locker makes plays other qb's can't. Not somebody who merely looks good in a combine or can run a system in college (where it's much easier to succeed that way) but washes out on the NFL field. Sorry if coaches such as Gruden who realize factors other than just completion percentage really count bother you, compared to those with their formulas designed to back up their own opinions of what works. (Although I like quant analysis as much as anyone)

You have to watch the film to notice that Locker had one very good receiver, who he got the ball to regularly, and accurately, even in double coverage. He made a ton of throw aways, where someone bent on percentage would say he was inaccurate on those plays. At least several scouts agreed that many of his supposedly poor throws were safe throws where his receivers had no separation from the defense. And you can see it on the film, which is why highlight films do have some value. Until I watched them, I wouldn't have known that.

Personally, I think Vince Young was becoming "a player". His stats stink. But he made good plays too, and I thought he was just a year or two away from really being a consistent performer. But too bad the rest of his mind wasn't in the right place.

That's my only concern I have with Locker. He's plenty accurate enough. He's got a gun for an arm. But I have no way to know if he's one of those guys smart enough for the big jump to the schemes in the NFL. We'll find out. (Of course, a guy like Jay Cutler has all the tools, seems intelligent, but still makes a ton of dumb throws... and he still has a starting job...)

Last edited by OpenWheel: 05-18-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old
05-18-2011, 05:12 PM
SmokeyClause

To restate so that my point isn't lost in all of this discussion. I think that Jake Locker can become an average NFL starting QB. But his rise to a very good to great QB would be almost unprecedented. Without fail (save for Vick), the great QBs in this league are all very accurate. Personally, I wouldn't waste any pick on a QB that didn't have accuracy as his number one strength.

I'm not concerned with leadership or toughness (Peyton Manning was considered to have neither of these in college and Rodgers and Brees have been questioned for one or the other at times) or athleticism (it's a superfluous trait). They are all nice to have but not necessary. The only binding thread between all the great QBs of the past two decades is elite accuracy. And that's considered Locker's biggest weakness. He may not be as bad as they say, but just being average isn't enough. And it's certainly not enough for a top 10 pick.

Quote:
Sorry if coaches such as Gruden who realize factors other than just completion percentage really count bother you, compared to those with their formulas designed to back up their own opinions of what works. (Although I like quant analysis as much as anyone).
Don't apologize to me on behalf of Gruden. It's not your fault he's incapable of being anything more than cheerleader analyst who tells me someone's a "player" because he can't verbalize why they are good at their given role without using vague generalities.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:28 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
And that's considered Locker's biggest weakness. He may not be as bad as they say, but just being average isn't enough. And it's certainly not enough for a top 10 pick.
If he becomes an average starter, he was worth a top ten pick. Guys who revolve in and out as a starter are the average starter. The ones who remain the starter but aren't the top half, which is what you seem to mean he'll be at best, are harder to find. If you can get one, you take him, he's worth as much or more than a star player at many other positions. If he becomes Eli Manning, who has crappy accuracy but still played well in some big games that helped win a superbowl, he was a good pick.

And again, so it doesn't get lost in the discussion, I'm saying many scouts say Locker has accuracy. And I believe he does. At least up to average starter level when combined with good athleticism. Just because 'they say' he doesn't, won't make it fact. Because some of 'they' have said otherwise.

But, maybe the Titans were overly wowed by his workout. Where reports indicate he was absolutely on the money for over 40 throws all over the field. If so, he may be a workout warrior bust like Chris Henry. We'll see.

Quote:
Don't apologize to me on behalf of Gruden. It's not your fault he's incapable of being anything more than cheerleader analyst who tells me someone's a "player" because he can't verbalize why they are good at their given role without using vague generalities.
I think you have a blind spot about a throwaway term. Many announcers speak in platitudes, it's what they do. John Madden made a career out of his "all madden team" comments about every half decent player in each game. But both Madden and Gruden give more detailed comments on strategy and technique as well. Gruden said he was impressed by Locker's knowledge and abilities when he did that stupid tv show thing with him that he did for all the top qb's. And I'm sure Gruden knows a lot about the quarterback position and offense.

Since you dislike it so much, I'll change the platitude to say Jake Locker is 'a stud'. And that he'll 'play well'. I surely won't ever say "a player" or "make plays" again. I'll be careful with my platitudes. But Locker does have NFL accuracy even if it's not elite, more than an NFL arm, and has NFL scrambling ability.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 05-19-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old
05-19-2011, 03:11 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
If he becomes an average starter, he was worth a top ten pick. Guys who revolve in and out as a starter are the average starter. The ones who remain the starter but aren't the top half, which is what you seem to mean he'll be at best, are harder to find. If you can get one, you take him, he's worth as much or more than a star player at many other positions. If he becomes Eli Manning, who has crappy accuracy but still played well in some big games that helped win a superbowl, he was a good pick.
I think that's where our differences are. I think that an average starter (such as Chad Henne) is easy enough to find, all things considered as half the teams in the league have one, and not worth a top 10 pick.

Here's more insight as to why I think the average starters aren't worth a top 10 pick. The last 20 Super Bowls have had the following QBs: Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, E. Manning, P. Manning, Tom Brady, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Warner, Elway, Favre, Aikman, Young, and Rypien.

The only non-elite QBs in that group had surrounding teams that were dominant. You need a completely dominant facet of the game if you have an average QB to be successful. You can succeed with a E. Manning or Dilfer, but you have to have an amazing defense to win. It's the defense that won them the Super Bowl, not the QB. So why wouldn't you build towards that defense with your top 10 picks and not towards your average QB?

Put another way, if I gave you a top 10 pick and told you, a GM of a team who has a mediocre QB and defense, that you MUST have either an elite QB or an elite defense to win the Super Bowl. And you knew that there was no elite QB available with that top 10 pick, wouldn't you attempt to go the route of the elite defense?

Quote:
And again, so it doesn't get lost in the discussion, I'm saying many scouts say Locker has accuracy. And I believe he does. At least up to average starter level when combined with good athleticism. Just because 'they say' he doesn't, won't make it fact. Because some of 'they' have said otherwise.

But, maybe the Titans were overly wowed by his workout. Where reports indicate he was absolutely on the money for over 40 throws all over the field. If so, he may be a workout warrior bust like Chris Henry. We'll see.
The workouts are nice, but I keep falling back to the point that guys who weren't accurate (or who weren't elite accurate) in college don't become elite accurate in the pros. And I'm only interested in QBs with elite accuracy with a top 10 pick (or honestly, with almost any pick). I've never heard Locker described as accurate. The best I've heard of his accuracy is what you bring up, "it's not as bad as people say." And that's just not a ringing endorsement for what I think is by far the most important trait in a QB. He may have had a nice workout. But if he was consistently accurate, it would show up on film. For the Titans sake, I do hope the workout wasn't anomalous, and he's truly become elite accurate.

Quote:
I think you have a blind spot about a throwaway term. Many announcers speak in platitudes, it's what they do. John Madden made a career out of his "all madden team" comments about every half decent player in each game. But both Madden and Gruden give more detailed comments on strategy and technique as well. Gruden said he was impressed by Locker's knowledge and abilities when he did that stupid tv show thing with him that he did for all the top qb's. And I'm sure Gruden knows a lot about the quarterback position and offense.
It's less a blind spot and more of a pet peeve. You are correct that Madden did it though earlier in his career, he'd also provide you with substance. But later on in his career, it became less insight and more shtick. And Gruden's knowledge of the game is what frustrates me. I know he knows more about the game than I'll ever know. But he rarely (only a few times a game) actually imparts that knowledge to us. And that's why I prefer Collinsworth. Like Gruden, he knows more about the game than I do, but he effectively shares that knowledge.

Quote:
Since you dislike it so much, I'll change the platitude to say Jake Locker is 'a stud'. And that he'll 'play well'. I surely won't ever say "a player" or "make plays" again. I'll be careful with my platitudes. But Locker does have NFL accuracy even if it's not elite, more than an NFL arm, and has NFL scrambling ability.
And no need to watch your words on account of me. Though I prefer discourse such as, "Jake Locker is a stud because..." That sets the tone for a legitimate discussion on terms that we can both see ('player' and 'stud' are open to interpretion on their own and provide very little insight as to why a player is viewed that way). To your credit, you've more than supported your opinion of Jake Locker as a player with specific discussion. Unfortunately, I just don't agree, but I'd like to be wrong.

Old
05-22-2011, 02:05 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
It's less a blind spot and more of a pet peeve.
Yeah, that's what I intended. I knew I needed a different term, 'blind spot' didn't make any sense, lol.

Here's a long selection of snips from a Yahoo article. Some scout interviewed before the draft, and his fav was Locker by far. The cool thing is he also raves about Jurrell Casey, who the Titans got in the third round.

Scout Takes Pride in 'Rogue' Label
Quote:
The scout has seen this movie before, and he doesn’t like it. “What does this guy do that anybody likes?” Dave Razzano asks, pressing the rewind button. “Every pass is an underneath curl route! It’s third-and-10 in the red zone – throw a [expletive] touchdown pass. But look at this: A three-yard dump-off. That’s all he does. He threw the ball just about every play, and he had 16 touchdown passes last season. “This is the guy somebody’s gonna take in the top 10? Based on what?” Razzano, a respected talent evaluator during a two-decade-plus career with the San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals, is talking about former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert, and he’s not holding back. He has always given unvarnished and sometimes unpopular opinions ...
Quote:
Razzano doesn’t claim to be perfect in his assessments; for example, the same year he denigrated Alex Smith’s stock he graded Aaron Rodgers(notes) as having “mid-round value,” and we all know how that turned out. “That’s one report I’d like to burn,” Razzano said. ...
Quote:
... “I talk about the ‘excitement meter,’ ” he explained. “That’s the basic thing about scouting: Whenever you’re watching a player, when you turn on that tape, how friggin’ excited are you? I remember walking into the University of New Mexico [in 2000] and seeing tape of Brian Urlacher for the first time. I said, ‘Oh my God.’ I’d never seen anything like it. I got up and started pacing around the room. I couldn’t believe it.” Suffice it to say that Razzano’s ‘excitement meter’ barely registered for Gabbert. Nor is he wowed by the draft’s other marquee quarterback, Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton, who, in his mind, “has multiple red flags. You can’t take a chance on a guy like that on the No. 1 overall pick.”
Quote:
Similarly, Razzano was down on former Washington quarterback Jake Locker – until he watched more tape. “Everybody says he’s inaccurate,” Razzano said as Locker completed an intermediate pass against USC on the TV behind him. “He’s not – he throws a great ball!" "It’s a low-percentage offense. There’s never anybody open underneath, and he’s got no protection. You can see it if you look closely enough. People are stupid." “Favre went in the second round, right? If you look at their college stats, Favre and Locker are practically identical. Now look at this play: Tell me this guy doesn’t move like Favre, scramble like Favre, throw like Favre. Pretend he has the number four on his jersey. His release is a lot like Favre, too.”...
Quote:
When I asked him to name an off-the-radar player in this year’s draft that he regards as a potential Pro Bowl performer, his eyes lit up excitedly. “There’s a defensive tackle at USC named Jurrell Casey, and he’s the protypical nose tackle” Razzano said. “He’s like another Michael Carter, who we got in the fifth round in San Francisco – one of the all-time steals. I see he’s rated as the ninth-best defensive tackle. If they do a mock re-draft in a few years, he’ll be a top-seven pick.” Razzano showed me some tape of Casey from last year’s game against Cal, and the visual evidence was impressive. “Watch him split the double-team here,” Razzano said as Casey burst between the Bears’ center and left guard. “Look at that nasty explosiveness. I’m telling you, it’s like the Steelers’ Casey Hampton ...
Quote:
... Before I departed, Razzano wanted to give me one, final look at his favorite quarterback in this year’s draft. ... Watching Locker roll to his right and release the ball just before an oncoming pass rusher arrived, Razzano exclaimed, “Look, he puts his shoulder into it. Look! If people can’t see that …” I could almost feel the Excitement Meter shaking with seismic abandon. Razzano paused the tape and continued: “My first exposure to Locker, watching a game on TV, I did not like what I saw. He threw errant passes and wasn’t very accurate. But then I saw the tape. He had more drops by receivers than anyone in the Pac-10, and he was running for his life – his line was probably the worst in the conference. And he still made plays ...” Razzano hit play on the remote and paced around the room as Locker faked a handoff, rolled to his left and threw a touchdown pass to a receiver in the middle of the end zone. “Look at him here,” Razzano said, “throwing against the grain"

Last edited by OpenWheel: 05-22-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Old
05-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

awesome ... you're quoting one scout ... okay ... I still stand by my statement earlier that I think he's going to drive more Titans fans into becoming Predators fans (and that is fine with me)

Old
05-22-2011, 03:19 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
awesome ... you're quoting one scout
I could post others. Obviously being rated by so many as a first rounder that would be an easy thing.

But I thought it was an interesting article in addition to the Locker raves, thought some would want to read it. Especially since not much has been said about Jurrell.

What scouts did you cite, anyway? On one side we have this scout and the Titans, on the other side we have, your opinion.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 05-22-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old
05-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Let's agree to disagree and let things play out on the field because ultimately that's where this will be settled a few YEARS from now.

Personally, I hope Locker succeeds because I don't think that a franchise can miss on drafting franchise QB's back to back in 5 years and be successful on the field.

Old
05-22-2011, 04:12 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Personally, I hope Locker succeeds because I don't think that a franchise can miss on drafting franchise QB's back to back in 5 years and be successful on the field.
No kidding. Which is probably one reason I'm not taking off my rose colored glasses on Locker.

Old
05-26-2011, 12:02 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Reds and Phillies headed for the top of the 18th.... unintentional doubleheader...

yowza..

Old
06-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Posted this in the Atlanta forum, but it's just as relevant here.

For the last few years, I have played travel hockey out of Nashville. Some of the most anticipated trips of our year were the four hour trecks to Atlanta to face off against the Atlanta Fire, Atlanta Knights, Kennesaw Jr. Thrashers, and/or Duluth Jr. Thrashers. Partially because of its large population and partially because of the NHL presence, Atlanta was a consistent powerhouse of souther youth hockey.

With the departureof the Thrashers, what can be expected of these programs? Will Duluth and Kennesaw keep their Jr. Thrashers mascot? (the Southern Flyers out of Nashville kept their name from the Dixie Flyer days, so it has been done). Do you anticipate a large drop in participation? Just curious what the local opinions were. If any of these teams fold, they will be sorely missed in the southern travel scene.

Also, will a city with no NHL team be able to support The Cooler, The Marietta Ice Center, the Ice Forum, and....that other rink in Kennesaw....

For those who are unfamiliar with the southern youth hockey scene, which i would assume is most people as its not very prevalent, I'll go into a little more detail. The following figures are for A/AA travel.

Nashville: 2 major rinks, ~2 teams per age level
Knoxville: 1 major rink, 0-1 teams per age level
Memphis: 1 major rink, 0-1 teams per age level
Huntsville, AL: 2 Major Rinks, ~1 team per age level
Birmingham AL: 1 major rink ~1 team per age level
Greenville SC: 1 major rink 0-1 teams per age level
Little Rock, ARK: .5 major rink, 0-1 teams per age level
ATLANTA: 4 major rinks, 4-5 teams per age level

In many leagues, Atlanta accounts more than half of all of teams in each age group. Should half of the teams/rinks in Atlanta fold, it could spell disaster for southern youth hockey in more than just Georgia. Atlanta is relied on heavily to supply teams for these leagues, and this move puts the growth of hockey in the south in serious jeopordy.

Old
06-03-2011, 05:15 PM
predfan98

vandy baseball vs belmont tonight in regionals...

Old
06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
vandy baseball vs belmont tonight in regionals...
come on Belmont ... I'm going to see an aspiring singer perform tonight ... I sit with her family at Preds games, very nice people

Old
06-09-2011, 08:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Never mind, I can't read time stamps...

But several players have reportedly defected. Numbers floating around are up to eleven.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 06-11-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old
06-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Seven players from Cuban NT defect during 2011 Gold Cup.

It happens every time... and it never gets old.
It's a law that as soon as a Cuban nationals foot touch US soil they are entitled to asylum.

http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/...t-dryfoot.html

Old
06-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

http://vanderbilt.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1230501

Let's go Dores one more to Omaha.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
jcupp

No more to Omaha. Great job Dores!

Not a huge baseball fan, but a great story. I mean, what, twelve players drafted? New NCAA record. Awesome.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:47 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
No more to Omaha. Great job Dores!

Not a huge baseball fan, but a great story. I mean, what, twelve players drafted? New NCAA record. Awesome.
Actually the NCAA record is 13. The SEC reccord is 12.

Closed Thread