HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger on Leafs Ownership / #1 Center

Old
05-18-2011, 06:46 PM
neoen

vCash: 500
Dreger on Leafs Ownership / #1 Center

Darren Dreger was just on TSN Radio discussing the Leafs ownership, and who targets will be for the #1 center position.

Notes
-Local Ownership is important
-Corporation ownership is likely, with Rogers and Bell likely to be in a bidding war.
-Balsille would be an option, but would need to get help. He doesnt have the backing to make a $2 billion purchase.
-Rumor of Ron Wilson extension announcement is not true, but the story is being followed
-Suprised the Brian Burke told the media right after the season that Wilson wasn't going anywhere
-They will make a trade or signing to get that #1 center.
-Brad Richards is linked to the team, but is also linked to NYR (they also have cap problems with pending FA's and a trade would be required)
-Leafs one of the few teams that have the cap room to sign Richards
-If SJ fails, Thornton or Marleau could be available, but those players may not be excited to move away from San Jose, plus they have a big price (salary wise) attached to them

Other Notes
-SJ / Vancouver series is crucial for that franchise
-Niemi is not happy with the salary he makes
-Vancouver has too many FA's and competing teams like a SJ are getting excited.

---------------------------

Nothing real big...but where the hell did these Wilson rumors come from? When it was brought up, I was waiting for Dregs to say it is close to being done, lol. Lucky I wasn't driving.

Last edited by Squiffy: 05-19-2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Solely for the sake of using the new prefix for the first time lol.. boo-yah!
neoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:50 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

I hate wilson I want NO PART of an extension for him

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:55 PM
mooseOAK*

A lot of stuff we already knew or Dreger pulled out of his behind.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I think I'm going to wait for next season to play out before I make my decision on that. Prior to last season, we had a pretty bad roster. I mean, Jason Blake was our leading scorer for two years running and even he was being driven out of town for under-producing. Prior to that, it was a team built on FAs and horrible goaltending. I'd like to see if Wilson can have success with a roster that should be able to succeed (and have demonstrated it over the 2nd half of last year).

If he can get this team comfortably into the playoffs, then I don't see why we shouldn't keep him around for another year or two. However, another start like last year and Burke has no reason not to get rid of him.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:04 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Not a lot of new stuff, but thanks for posting it.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:04 PM
FireEverybody*

Thornton please.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Free Dallas Eakins!

Michael Gary Scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Would you approve a Wilson extension if Burke trades for a #1 centre and they make the playoffs next year? Cause it's gonna happen.

I don't like it because he's not a good fit for the Leafs IMO. Throws his young players under the bus when it is completely unnecessary. The Leafs need a younger players coach like Eakins, not a crusty old man who intimidates the youth. If I was a rookie on the Leafs, i'd be terrified to make a mistake because my coach would embarrass me publically.

Drew311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Dreger has got to be the most overrated "insider" ever. You'd think being related to Nonis would get him some better info, but no.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Would you approve a Wilson extension if Burke trades for a #1 centre and they make the playoffs next year? Cause it's gonna happen.

I don't like it because he's not a good fit for the Leafs IMO. Throws his young players under the bus when it is completely unnecessary. The Leafs need a younger players coach like Eakins, not a crusty old man who intimidates the youth. If I was a rookie on the Leafs, i'd be terrified to make a mistake because my coach would embarrass me publically.
The Leafs need young players who can man up and accept responsibility for their mistakes. They certainly don't need players who are going to fold because someone says somthing negative about them.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:27 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post

Ron Wilson could win 50 games next year and we win the presidents trophy I want him OUT and you stated EVERY reason in your middle paragraph he embarrasses band humiliates the players CONSISTANTLY MAYBE if this was a vetern team that could handle it that would be OK but this is a young team that **** CANNOT BE TOLERATED RON WILSON MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old
05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
The Leafs need young players who can man up and accept responsibility for their mistakes. They certainly don't need players who are going to fold because someone says somthing negative about them.
but our coach does it ALL the time.

I remember the 4th game of the season our 4th win in a row Kessel had 2 goals 1 assist including the OT winner what does Wilson do? INSTEAD of acknowldge the fact that we don't even GET to OT let a lone win without Kessel he Hraps on the ONE mistake Kessel makes because we got scxored on so the fact that he was the ONLY reason we won that game meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Another time he had actually had the balls to say it wouldn't matter who we had in net because we were playing so well That was after Reimer came up and started carrying the team on his back so according to Wilson Reimer had NOTHING to do with us nearly making the playoffs NOTHING to do with our 2nd half success

Ron Wilson is GARBAGE

Old
05-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Wasn't it reported that Richards will either sign with Dallas, NY or Tampa and Toronto was specifically named as a club he wasn't interested in? It was right around trade deadline time.

Rangers have over 16M in cap space next season and 33M in cap space in 2012/2013

If Richards doesn't sign with NY it isn't going to be because of cap space.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:40 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

This is pretty useless. Nothing against the OP but i hate when insiders give broad information. I could have told everyone the bolded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoen View Post
Darren Dreger was just on TSN Radio discussing the Leafs ownership, and who targets will be for the #1 center position.

Notes
-Local Ownership is important
-Corporation ownership is likely, with Rogers and Bell likely to be in a bidding war.
-Balsille would be an option, but would need to get help. He doesnt have the backing to make a $2 billion purchase.

-Rumor of Ron Wilson extension announcement is not true, but the story is being followed
-Suprised the Brian Burke told the media right after the season that Wilson wasn't going anywhere
-They will make a trade or signing to get that #1 center.
-Brad Richards is linked to the team, but is also linked to NYR (they also have cap problems with pending FA's and a trade would be required)
-Leafs one of the few teams that have the cap room to sign Richards

-If SJ fails, Thornton or Marleau could be available, but those players may not be excited to move away from San Jose, plus they have a big price (salary wise) attached to them

Other Notes
-SJ / Vancouver series is crucial for that franchise
-Niemi is not happy with the salary he makes
-Vancouver has too many FA's and competing teams like a SJ are getting excited.

---------------------------

Nothing real big...but where the hell did these Wilson rumors come from? When it was brought up, I was waiting for Dregs to say it is close to being done, lol. Lucky I wasn't driving.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:42 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:

I remember the 4th game of the season our 4th win in a row Kessel had 2 goals 1 assist including the OT winner what does Wilson do? INSTEAD of acknowldge the fact that we don't even GET to OT let a lone win without Kessel he Hraps on the ONE mistake Kessel makes because we got scxored on so the fact that he was the ONLY reason we won that game meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Another time he had actually had the balls to say it wouldn't matter who we had in net because we were playing so well That was after Reimer came up and started carrying the team on his back so according to Wilson Reimer had NOTHING to do with us nearly making the playoffs NOTHING to do with our 2nd half success

Ron Wilson is GARBAGE
Wilson coached like a potential Jack Adams winner the last 1/2 of the season.

End thread

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:43 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Wasn't it reported that Richards will either sign with Dallas, NY or Tampa and Toronto was specifically named as a club he wasn't interested in? It was right around trade deadline time.

Rangers have over 16M in cap space next season and 33M in cap space in 2012/2013

You are a rookie user. Lots of information all around to show both your statements wrong.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Leafssss

Quote:

Ron Wilson is GARBAGE
Do you really want Phil Kessel getting cocky with all the recognition he'd get?

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:45 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
Definitely agree with this. I wish Wilson would throw a compliment or two in with his criticism, but in a hockey market like Toronto, you better be able to take criticism. And you look at the development of players under him in Toronto (Schenn, Kulemin, Grabovski, Aulie, Reimer, Gunnarsson) and in San Jose (Ehrhoff, Murray, Michalek, Carle, Gorges, Clowe, Pavelski, Vlasic, and briefly Setoguchi and Mitchell) to see that it does work for a lot of players.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:49 PM
bobbyflex

"Leafs will either sign or trade for a #1 Center" LMAO what other options are there??

not exactly ground-breaking stuff Dreger

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:

No way Tampa spends that much money on 4 players going into next season (St Louis, Richards, Lecavalier, Stamkos). Dallas ownership situation still isn't finalized, so I don't think they can commit that kind of money during the offseason. New York has 3 players making over 6 million a season, 2 of which aren't performing up to their salaries so I don't think they can afford a 4th unless they trade someone and no one wants Graborik's or Drury's contract so the Rangers can sign Richards. I think the article was my Simmons after Burke called him out in a press conference, so I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:

Can we please put that terrible Steve Simmons blurb to rest?

Simmons seems to be considered a joke until that one paragraph he wrote comes up.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Can we please put that terrible Steve Simmons blurb to rest?
It's amazing how its taken on a life of its own now.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:01 PM
rusty kneecapp

It seems like in January when the whole Kessel/Wilson feud passed he got a little better. He stopped throwing people under the bus. Burke probably talked to him. There was also a stat sheet I read saying that Wilson's gotten the most out of his players. It stated before Wilson, during Wilson, and after Wilson and the only player who's stats were really better outside Wilson was Stempniak.

I'm willing to give him one more year. If by christmas were not in a playoff spot he has to go.

rusty kneecapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:03 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
It's amazing how its taken on a life of its own now.
And it means much more than Richards own words apparently. (And Simmons had supposedly third-hand information involving a head-nod).

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:04 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Dreger has got to be the most overrated "insider" ever. You'd think being related to Nonis would get him some better info, but no.
I really don't think it would be in Nonis's best interest to give insider information like that and let him tell it to one of the biggest hockey markets.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote