HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-17-2011, 08:25 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
McPhee a rare breed - a hobeygoon - finds himself GMing as the league is in transition. He gets Brash and King so you see signs of it being in his DNA and wanting it in the teams. The league is becoming more about the pest when it comes to playoff effectiveness. And he did make strides in the draft FINALLY in that regard. But it was little too late. And he bailed on SDR and went old school goon. King oddly couldnt have done less than Hendricks in the playoffs yeesh.

DirtBag, the player needs to be an jazzhole to play against. not to play with.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:31 AM
dpj0122

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
McPhee a rare breed - a hobeygoon - finds himself GMing as the league is in transition. He gets Brash and King so you see signs of it being in his DNA and wanting it in the teams. The league is becoming more about the pest when it comes to playoff effectiveness. And he did make strides in the draft FINALLY in that regard. But it was little too late. And he bailed on SDR and went old school goon. King oddly couldnt have done less than Hendricks in the playoffs yeesh.

DirtBag, the player needs to be an jazzhole to play against. not to play with.

Yeah, he gets Brash and then a year or two later says they don't need his type "because the Detroit Redwings didn't need an enforcer." Of all the ridiculous arrogance. He reconsidered after a season, of course and got King. Who then sat for most of the season and all of the playoffs. And wouldn't you think McPhee would really be bothered when his team is criticized for not having enough grit and being too soft? It IS a weird situation given that McPhee is the type of player they need more of. But I think McPhee the GM thinks he's smarter than he is..........

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 12:29 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Re: our BIG offseason acquisition last summer, maybe its time to revisit the King pickup. This is about grading George after all. The sole move that spanned what 10 threads.

When he was in the lineup for a few consecutive games, he looked fine to me. Sure he looked like a roided NFL linebacker. I thought he would be a better fighter. I used to think winning a fight had a better impact on a game than losing re: crowd, energy, etc. that is, before Bradley rode into town, blood blazing.

But he held his own overall; didn't get embarrassed in fights, didnt rack up minus after minus despite a ton of recurring rust. And I can't remember liberties being taken with our stars last year. Maybe one game I remember him in the lineup thinking, hey, why didnt King's presence prevent that.

SDR got into 7 games with the blues, 0 points even and 11 PIM. Rated their 10th best prospect.

I would grade this trade a draw but I think Bruce didnt like King. That 24/7 quote from Bruce about how Ovi or Hendy doesnt have to fight was classic. "Well, you do." Sadly, I think the story goes, we needed more of what king brought to the table not less. Killing teams with skill alone... killed us instead. But if Bruce wont dress or trust King, it takes away from the move. the GM has to make moves that the coach will go along with, or the coach needs to go.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

The King trade is a bust. When you coach refuses to dress a player.....the writing is on the wall.

McPhee will get his usual pass because he drafted a few good 1st rounders....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
McPhee a rare breed
Takes a special kind of man to work a job for over a decade and not achieve his goals. A rare breed indeed, he's about due for a raise.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:55 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Takes a special kind of man to work a job for over a decade and not achieve his goals. A rare breed indeed, he's about due for a raise.
If I were ever going to take a class from him, THAT would be what I want out of it. How do I get that gift.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:56 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
In real world terms, not really. I'd say realistically speaking that McPhee has very likely reached most of his goals. If the sole goal is winning a stanley cup, then he has not reached it, but being a company general manager that never reaches the pinnacle of his business, is the rule not the exception.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 03:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

The Cup is the goal....if that's NOT the goal as you're suggesting....there's a more serious problem at the top.

Just because it's hard, that doesn't make it unrealistic.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:06 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
The Cup is the goal....if that's NOT the goal as you're suggesting....there's a more serious problem at the top.

Dude its not like they give those things out EVERY year!!!

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 03:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

So many years of being losers.....our fans are starting to accept that it's too hard to win the Cup. Sad...

Maybe the Caps can ask for their "we tried" trophy.....

Old
05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
txpd

Quote:

"Takes a special kind of man to work a job for over a decade and not achieve his goals."

As the Vice President/General Manager of a sports franchise, George McPhee has to have numerous goals. The quote above does use the plural. If the championship were the only goal, it wouldnt make him special for having not reached it as most dont.

The primary reason he has had the job as long as he has is because there are numerous goals and he reaches more of them all the time. Dale Tallon built a near Stanley Cup champion, but got blow out because he failed at so many of the other goals to be reached.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
So many years of being losers.....our fans are starting to accept that it's too hard to win the Cup. Sad...

why is it that when the criticism goes to far, any reasonable attempt at calling that out is ripped to shreds?

Old
05-18-2011, 03:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

There's one goal in the grand scheme of things - WIN the Cup

and there are steps it takes to achieve that goal....

Build a perrenial contender through the draft.....

He's laid the foundation....let's see if he can show any improvement in the postseason. Three years running of being embarassed. I'll let the 1st season under Bruce go...that was an over achievement IMO. The last 3 years...not so much.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
why is it that when the criticism goes to far, any reasonable attempt at calling that out is ripped to shreds?
It wasn't a comment on you....I see a lot of people throwing up their hands and waiving the white flag.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:28 PM
EroCaps

Quote:

Washington sports fans aren't accustomed to winners the last 20 years so they've forgotten what one looks like.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 04:15 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey Company line defenders....go defend McPhee in the GM Ranking thread....let's see how you fare.

Old
05-18-2011, 04:25 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
It wasn't a comment on you....I see a lot of people throwing up their hands and waiving the white flag.
Err who?

05-18-2011, 04:30 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Err who?
Just in general....since the playoff exit....

Lot's of people accepting of failure....across many threads...

Old
05-18-2011, 06:36 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Not seeing anyone here who states that they are accepting failure...

Unless you are referring the those have varying degrees of opinions but that aren't in line with the current extreme "burn it all down someone must pay" mob . "If you listen to fools the Mob Rules!"

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
In real world terms, not really. I'd say realistically speaking that McPhee has very likely reached most of his goals. If the sole goal is winning a stanley cup, then he has not reached it, but being a company general manager that never reaches the pinnacle of his business, is the rule not the exception.
Nobody cared to read my very long post about the comparison to the real world so here are the cliff notes for that to respond to you.

1) Inherits a good team

2) Makes SCF 1st year

3) Ruins the team

4) Rebuilds the team

5) Has surprising success (the Fedorov year)

6) Can't live up to expectations, flounders around mediocricy and disappointment.

He sucks at what he does. It could be worse we could be Florida or Atlanta, but it could be better we could be Carolina or Tampa (speaking about past 10 years)

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Not seeing anyone here who states that they are accepting failure...
I accept failure. Heck I profit off it. You know how much money I've made off the Caps opponents in the postseason the past 4 years? Lets just say that this year I'm flying first class to Bermuda to hang out with Richard Branson where we'll talk about an investment opportunity that he wants me to buy into

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
sycamore

The fact is its very difficult to gauge whether McPhee HAS done a good job or not with a coach like Boudreau at the helm. If LaViolette is coaching this team, who's to say they aren't playing (and beating) the Bruins in the ECF as we speak? McPhee has gone out and acquired the horses, no question about it, through free agency, the draft, and trades. Its just that Boudreau has basically squandered all his of his efforts so far.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
txpd

who's to say that if laviolette were the coach that they would not be where lavy's team is....same place the caps are.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:33 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

There are varying degree's of success in any business. McPhee has obviously been able to generate significant success in the regular season (of late). That coupled with a solid uptick in draft quality after the Ovechkin lottery has him employed for the forseeable future IMO. He's got the franchise on track....he's taken the team from likeable young losers, to young winners, to a team that's coming into its prime now shouldering the expectations that come when you have one of the best 2-3 players in the world.

Ted has almost painted himself in a corner. He's repeated "We MUST win a Stanley Cup" in front of a camera so many times that he will continute to get roasted in the court of public opinion. For a guy like him...this matters.

I think it's quite possible that Leonsis has already done his homework and there might not be a better replacement out there right now. I just don't see a guy with his business acumen allowing postseason embarassment to continue much longer.

I'm hopeful that Leonsis, McPhee, and Boudreau come to the realization that this franchise needs more discipline and more structure for its players. That's all I CAN do is hope, because it appears this is the team management we're stuck with for the time being.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 05-18-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old
05-18-2011, 07:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I have to wonder what McPhee is telling Leonsis that has Ted buying into "stay the course" right now. He can toy with next year's roster all he wants, inserting Eakin or Orlov, or whatever other young prospect that's ready, but IMO, a few promotions from within isn't going to bring this team to a Cup. They need to make a significant roster move....something that shakes up the core of this team and puts them on notice. That coupled with a new "all business" attitude and I think we're a team that goes on a long run.