HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christian Thomas signs 3 year ELC

Old
05-18-2011, 06:46 PM
TheRedViper

vCash: 500
Very excited to hear this.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Would love to see him pull a Skinner next season and shock the world, but I'm fine with him going back to junior and continue to learn and work hard. High hopes, real expectations.
I'd love to see him pull a Selanne!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

SOOOO hyped!!!! Can't wait too see Thomas in the pre-season and how he turns out. Looking at his size 5'9" is he like a St. Louis, gionta or a mike cammalleri type of player?

Hanke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Sick!!!

Really hoping this kid makes it. We need the scoring depth.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
If Thomas makes the team he'll probably make it based on his PP skills. With Richards feeding Thomas and Gaborik in each circle we could have an incredible Power Play.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:00 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'd love to see him pull a Selanne!
i'd kill for this kid to score 70 at ANY point in his career

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

I think he can make the team based on skill but is he physically ready?? He can replace christensen or avery on the roster

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:12 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
If Thomas makes the team he'll probably make it based on his PP skills. With Richards feeding Thomas and Gaborik in each circle we could have an incredible Power Play.
When did we sign Richards? Did I miss something?

Anyways, if anything I am more excited to give this guy every opportunity in camp to make the team. More so, I am interested to see exactly how he plays (since I have never seen him play before).

Hopefully he makes the team, but if he doesn't it's really no harm, no foul, since this won't count against a year on his ELC.

05-18-2011, 07:12 PM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
I think he can make the team based on skill but is he physically ready?? He can replace christensen or avery on the roster
If Torts thinks he's close Thomas could make the team playing 3rd/4th line minutes with 1st Unit PP duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
When did we sign Richards? Did I miss something?

Anyways, if anything I am more excited to give this guy every opportunity in camp to make the team. More so, I am interested to see exactly how he plays (since I have never seen him play before).

Hopefully he makes the team, but if he doesn't it's really no harm, no foul, since this won't count against a year on his ELC.
pure speculation of course

Thomas is a very exciting player to watch. Tenacious checker, good skater, smart, shifty as hell, elite shot. Incredibly high ceiling.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:13 PM
beastly115

Wow, great news. Was not expecting Thomas to sign before Kreider.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:16 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
If Torts thinks he's close Thomas could make the team playing 3rd/4th line minutes with 1st Unit PP duty.

pure speculation of course

Thomas is a very exciting player to watch. Tenacious checker, good skater, smart, shifty as hell, elite shot. Incredibly high ceiling.
he'll never touch the 4th line. If he does make the team he definitely will start out on the third line because he'll have to prove to torts that he deserves minutes over established players in cally/gabby

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:18 PM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
he'll never touch the 4th line. If he does make the team he definitely will start out on the third line because he'll have to prove to torts that he deserves minutes over established players in cally/gabby
Yeah I doubt he'll ever play on the 4th line, but early in the season it wouldn't be unfair to say he would get 3rd or 4th line minutes.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Thank you for the scouting report.

The one thing I knew on him was he had an incredible shot.

The thing that puzzles me is why he dropped to the mid 2nd round? Is it because of his size (I would assume so), because Sather/Clark have a knack for finding gems otherwise.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

The thing that puzzles me is why he dropped to the mid 2nd round? Is it because of his size (I would assume so), because Sather/Clark have a knack for finding gems otherwise.
Has to be his size. I haven't watched him extensively but from what I have seen (and obviously his stats) he's one of the best offensive players in the CHL.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:28 PM
t3hg00se

Quote:

Quote:
Christian Thomas is someone I shouldn't even have to talk about. He needs size, bad. But if he grows a couple inches he'd have been picked in the first round, rather than late third where he'll probably go. The upside is he clearly plays like a player that knows he's small and he knows what he has to do to compete at his size. He has great balance and for a small guys he plays big. Does scoring 41 goals in the OHL warrant him a pick even though he's 5'9? I'd say he's worth a shot if it's an insignificant pick.
Is the scouting report I gave on Thomas before the draft last year in June. I'm assuming Clark probably just felt the same as me in regards to his balance and probably felt that it would help him overcome his diminutive stature.

I've always been a fan of his, but as you can see I originally thought his size would push him into the third round, where he would have been a ridiculous steal.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Yup, it was 100% a size issue.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

I might be in my own boat here but i don't want Thomas here if he's going to be playing third line minutes, even if he gets pp time as well. Maybe del zotto left a bad taste in my mouth but I'd rather he be in the chl at 19 working on his skills and polishing up his scoring touch. IMO torts failed to utilize MZA in a more grit than skill type system and im afraid he'll do the same with Thomas and possibly
mess up his development.

On the other hand if he comes in a lights it up as long as he's playing top six with the likes of gabby and dubi I wouldn't be opposed.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Levitate

^^ I dunno dude, I'm not sure there's a lot more polish you can put on his scoring touch at the CHL level. He was second overall in goal scoring in the entire CHL

Eh, he's still kinda lazy on defense and he'll have to get better at that, but no big deal for a young player

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:40 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i don't think he will be kept for those 9 games...if he is still here when the season starts is will be because he won a spot and they expect him to stay all year.

some teams might keep a guy for those 9 games for the experience without the intention of keeping him up beyond that, i just don't see us doing that.
He's in the awkward position of being too good for the OHL, but possibly not ready for the NHL. He is going to get an incredibly long look at camp regardless, and I firmly believe we will see at least a handful of NHL games from him next year. There is more options then just keeping him up for experience. The Rangers power play is a disgrace and if Thomas can give it a boost, they're going to want to keep him with the big club.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
^^ I dunno dude, I'm not sure there's a lot more polish you can put on his scoring touch at the CHL level. He was second overall in goal scoring in the entire CHL

Eh, he's still kinda lazy on defense and he'll have to get better at that, but no big deal for a young player
Not sayin I think he needs to play in the chl, but I'd rather he play big minutes there and light it up rather than playing bottom 6 minutes in the NHL in a gritty system.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2810
YES!!

Let's see if he can make the big club.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Not sayin I think he needs to play in the chl, but I'd rather he play big minutes there and light it up rather than playing bottom 6 minutes in the NHL in a gritty system.
But what does lighting it up another year in the CHL accomplish for him in terms of development?

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:47 PM
t3hg00se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Don't let Thomas' scoring fool you, he takes after his father when it comes to grit. Lighting up the CHL again could hurt him just as easily as it could help.

Old
05-18-2011, 07:52 PM
darko

Good news. Lets hope he can make the team.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:07 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
But what does lighting it up another year in the CHL accomplish for him in terms of development?
He still needs to work on using his teammates more effectively and his overall defensive game. I will agree though that sending him back to juniors isn't the most ideal situation, but it's better then rushing him to the NHL.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but Thomas is starting to get pretty overrated based on some of the comments here. Lots of 5'9 players have put up big numbers and failed to make it in the big leagues. While I think Thomas has the potential to be something at this level, let's not pencil him into the line-up yet.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote