HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Christian Thomas signs 3 year ELC

Old
05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
He still needs to work on using his teammates more effectively and his overall defensive game. I will agree though that sending him back to juniors isn't the most ideal situation, but it's better then rushing him to the NHL.

I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but Thomas is starting to get pretty overrated based on some of the comments here. Lots of 5'9 players have put up big numbers and failed to make it in the big leagues. While I think Thomas has the potential to be something at this level, let's not pencil him into the line-up yet.
I'm not penciling him into anything. I have no idea if he's ready. My comments were specifically directed towards the poster that said Thomas would be better served in the OHL than on our third line.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:12 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
But what does lighting it up another year in the CHL accomplish for him in terms of development?
I don't see anything negative coming out of it, whereas playing 12 minutes a game come game 40 after he cools off from a hot start could hinder his confidence and possibly development. If he was eligable to play in the ahl id have no problem with him coming out of juniors, I just don't want to see him get screwed come mid season when he comes back down to earth an shows he's maybe not NHL ready. Not saying he is or isn't because admittedly I don't know everything about this kid, I just don't want to see him rushed like del zotto.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ocarina

Quote:
I'm not penciling him into anything. I have no idea if he's ready. My comments were specifically directed towards the poster that said Thomas would be better served in the OHL than on our third line.
I wasn't directing that comment to you, just everyone in general.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
I might be in my own boat here but i don't want Thomas here if he's going to be playing third line minutes, even if he gets pp time as well. Maybe del zotto left a bad taste in my mouth but I'd rather he be in the chl at 19 working on his skills and polishing up his scoring touch. IMO torts failed to utilize MZA in a more grit than skill type system and im afraid he'll do the same with Thomas and possibly
mess up his development.

On the other hand if he comes in a lights it up as long as he's playing top six with the likes of gabby and dubi I wouldn't be opposed.
if he gets 3rd line minutes and pp time that will be sufficient ice time for him to develop as an 18 year old, much better than back in juniors...the fear would be if he got 4th line minutes and no pp time.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:14 PM
TheRedViper

I'm on board with the third line minutes + PP time. The guy made a living on the left side hashmarks all season, scores from anywhere/everywhere. On the third line, he'd also be playing with a good playmaker in Steps, and it'll be good for Stepan to have a goal scorer on his wing too.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I don't see anything negative coming out of it, whereas playing 12 minutes a game come game 40 after he cools off from a hot start could hinder his confidence and possibly development. If he was eligable to play in the ahl id have no problem with him coming out of juniors, I just don't want to see him get screwed come mid season when he comes back down to earth an shows he's maybe not NHL ready. Not saying he is or isn't because admittedly I don't know everything about this kid, I just don't want to see him rushed like del zotto.
Was Del Zotto rushed? I don't believe that he was. He absolutely earned his roster spot, and had a very good rookie season. That he encountered the dreaded Sophomore Slump doesn't indicate he was rushed. It happens to tons of players.

One player has nothing to do with the other. If Thomas shows he's ready, he should be on the team.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:20 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Del Zotto wasn't rushed. He was very good in his rookie year before regressing this season. I wouldn't have a problem with it if Thomas earns a spot.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Claxton

Gonna be rooting for Thomas first and foremost to make the team in camp, he seems like our most intriguing prospect. A consistent sniper with pedigree and work ethic. Would love to see him with Stepan and see what they could do together.

Now if Kreider could just sign, Richards signs and we could see what they do together on the first line...

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:36 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Under Torts, if they think he's ready, they'll make a spot for him.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Was Del Zotto rushed? I don't believe that he was. He absolutely earned his roster spot, and had a very good rookie season. That he encountered the dreaded Sophomore Slump doesn't indicate he was rushed. It happens to tons of players.

One player has nothing to do with the other. If Thomas shows he's ready, he should be on the team.
Not to mention that the development curve for defensemen is generally far different from the development curve for forwards. If he has a good camp, then he earns a 9-game. If he proves he can play in the league by Tortorella's judgment in that 9, then he stays (and I don't just mean if he puts up points). Otherwise, I'm perfectly alright with him playing another year in juniors. Contrary to popular belief, having a season in juniors that does nothing but give a player confidence is a GOOD thing.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:43 PM
AK2794

Would love to see a line of Krieder- Stepan- Thomas

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:28 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Can someone assure me Thomas isn't going to be Dawes 2.0?
We were all so pumped for Dawes..Didnt he score 50 1 year?
Wasn't he the Captain for Team Canada U18?
Are we all jumping the gun again?

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:17 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
I might be in my own boat here but i don't want Thomas here if he's going to be playing third line minutes, even if he gets pp time as well. Maybe del zotto left a bad taste in my mouth but I'd rather he be in the chl at 19 working on his skills and polishing up his scoring touch. IMO torts failed to utilize MZA in a more grit than skill type system and im afraid he'll do the same with Thomas and possibly
mess up his development.

On the other hand if he comes in a lights it up as long as he's playing top six with the likes of gabby and dubi I wouldn't be opposed.
You have to keep in mind that Torts was pressed into service with MZA earlier than he wanted to be.

The injury bug was at or close to its very worst, the offense was as dry as it was all season, and Torts was looking for someone...anyone...to show the ability to make a play with the puck. Can't blame him for that.

I also don't think MZA was messed up by it either. He's a young pro more so than a fresh rookie. I wouldn't be quick to write off his NHL development just yet.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Claxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2794 View Post
Would love to see a line of Krieder- Stepan- Thomas
?????-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Thomas
Hagelin-Boyle-Prust

or

Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Grachev-Stepan-Thomas
Hagelin-Boyle-Prust

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:34 PM
satrabyk

I got a really good feeling about this kid idk why ive only seen him play a couple times. Hes not big, even smaller than skinner but i wouldint be suprised if he makes it next year and gets 15-20 goals but that is only good feeling. Plus if this means W2 can be gone im even more for him.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Different strengths. Thomas' main weapons translate to the NHL way better then Dawes.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

if Thomas was 6'2 he woulda been a top 10 pick easy. he may be the steal of the draft....we'll see.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:29 AM
trilobyte

Great to hear.

No comparisons to other NHL players are necessary, just let him be Christian Thomas. He has the genes of his father, who was one of the most consistently resilient and opportunistic scorers around. This guy has a lot of his dad in him, and who knows, maybe something more on top.

Sure, we have to wait and see, but this is one of a half-dozen prospects I actually feel real gut-level excitement about.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:16 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
if he gets 3rd line minutes and pp time that will be sufficient ice time for him to develop as an 18 year old, much better than back in juniors...the fear would be if he got 4th line minutes and no pp time.
Brian Boyle averaged 15+ minutes. Thomas could fare quite well with that much ATOI

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Great to hear.

No comparisons to other NHL players are necessary, just let him be Christian Thomas. He has the genes of his father, who was one of the most consistently resilient and opportunistic scorers around. This guy has a lot of his dad in him, and who knows, maybe something more on top.

Sure, we have to wait and see, but this is one of a half-dozen prospects I actually feel real gut-level excitement about.
his shot is danny heatley lethal, thats all ive really been able to compare with the kid...his game is kinda tough to compare...hes got an absolutely filthy shot though, and many players have been able to make a name for themselves based on just having a crazy good shot....like Danny Heatley for example lol

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:26 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

If thats true it would be really nice news. Im really curious about how his skillset will translate to higher levels then OHL. Im waiting for some offical confirmation!

Last edited by n1cON: 05-19-2011 at 02:31 AM.
n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:28 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
1. I was never pumped for Dawes. Just never thought much of him as a player regardless of his stats. Probably because the one time I met him, he was kind of a dou che.... (that'll probably get edited so let's just say he didn't give a good impression).

2. Torts seems to like the kids so Thomas will get a good look throughout camp/preseason and possibly a few games in the NHL if he looks ready. However, if they don't think he'll survive the entire NHL season, I could see them sending him back to Jr's and waiting for next year when it's widely assumed (at least on these boards) that we'll be more ready to legitimately compete for the Cup.

3. There have been plenty of prospects that put up numbers in Jr's, the AHL, or a year or two in the NHL that haven't panned out to legit NHL'ers. Let's temper expectations and hope he surprises us all.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
DelZotto wasn't rushed at all. His rookie numbers alone are testament to that. He had a sophmore slump like so many players do. All of the sudden, this 20 year old kid finds himself with more money and exposure than he ever had before. The parties, the women, the cars, and anything else they want starts to mess with their work ethic and drive, and their game suffers because of it.

Once DelZotto is mentally mature enough to handle being back in the NHL, he will be. It's certainly not a matter of skill.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

As many have said here, Thomas' shot is elite. He can score from anywhere on the ice, and goes to the dirty areas to score. What makes me drool the most, though, is his shot on the PP. It's Stamkos-esque how he sets up on the weak-side and fires off one-timers. If he can handle the physical rigors of the NHL, I see no reason why he couldn't make the jump this year. He's not the fastest skater, but he's incredibly shifty and his lateral quickness creates shooting space. He also has pretty good hands and is an underrated playmaker.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I can't speak for Thomas, but if he has any of his old mans Moxy, the Rangers may indeed have a future NHL'er on thier hands. Would love to see him turn into another Ryan Callahan.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote