HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th liners the Rangers should now target

Old
05-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Carcillo

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Carcillo does everything you want from a 4th liner except backcheck. No thanks.
no thanks

dont need a player that gets suspended for stupid crap.

i want another player like prust who can fight play good defense and not take dumb penalties. any other tough guys that dont take penalties??

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:43 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I'd like to see a more balanced attack and keep players like Prust and Boyle on the 4th line/PK. Add a player who is defensively responsible and can take regular shifts and I'd be happy.

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Feds-EC-MZA
Avery-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
V-Tank/Gilroy/MDZ/Eminger

Not sure how it works cap wise or anything but I'm just using the board mentality that Dru will be bought out and we'll sign Richards. Not sure if that actually happens, but I like the set up. In addition, that 3rd and 4th line could be reversed and switched up as needed. Also, I'm not sure how the 3rd D pair will shake out but I'll wait to see how contracts/free agency looks before I start projecting that pair.
That is an ugly team.

Stepan, where you at?

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:44 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekix View Post
No more pure goons (as much as I love hockey fights). Go with guys like Prust who can contribute to the team and not be a liability on the ice.
There you go, agree.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:45 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
That is an ugly team.

Stepan, where you at?
Not to mention W2 on the top line, that lineup would prob be 10-15.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:43 AM
hockeyman001

No way...no way...do I want any part of Chris Neil...not even for a 5th rounder. He's trash.

He's a good hitter, but a cheapshot type player who doesn't fight heavyweights often.

Even McGrattan basically called him a POS when the Grat was still with Ottawa. He got tired of having to fight heavyweights for no other reason than to settle some crap Neil started but wouldn't answer for.

We don't need someone who's going to just take stupid penalties and beat up middleweights.

We need first line caliber players. If there's money left over we can do worse than Konopka (that would mean not bringing Boyle back most likely), but I don't think we should be sweating the 4th line. If it's really that much of an issue and we are in playoff position, it's easier to trade for a 4th liner at the deadline than a first liner.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:59 AM
mti79

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
That is an ugly team.

Stepan, where you at?
Oops, I knew I forgot someone, throw him in for EC then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Not to mention W2 on the top line, that lineup would prob be 10-15.
And say what you want about W2, but he's one of our most skilled forwards. He may not have the drive that Cally or Dubi has but he has talent. I'd absolutely put him on a line with Richards and Gaborik and see if the skill among the three of them can make a legit top line that we haven't had since... umm.. yeah... maybe when we had Jagr and Nylander but that stemmed from Nylander having fantastic vision and passing ability (Richards) and Jagr being an absolute beast/sniper (Gaborik). Wolski has shown that he can both pass and score in this league.

Wolski-Richards-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Feds-Stepan-MZA
Avery/EC/Weise/Hagelin-Boyle-Prust

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:30 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
I feel like Wolski is someone we should not so easily dismiss. He's a sure thing play off performer, and has a pretty high upside. If he doesn't look so good next season, move him at the trade deadline.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:00 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The Rangers lack team toughness. Dubi and Cally are talented and will mix it up but really should not be fighting or having to fight the Rupps or Gillies in the division. Prust is a willing guy but a pillow puncher that scares no one. The Rangers drafted very big and they are a yr or 2 away. I would like Boulton for 1 yr with a option
Either you don't know hockey, or you're trapped in the old days. This team has a very good overall collection of team toughness. Granted, I would like them to sign a guy like Boulton or Rupp, but that's because they bring qualities other then fighting which are actually useful.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
I woud sign Mike Rupp and trade a 2nd to Ottawa for Chris Neil. My bottom six would be Boyle, Prust & Hagelin as my checking line. Rupp, Neil & Avery as my 4th line. For $350K more Neil does more than Boogey could. The game is shifting away from the enforcer and these six can all play the game and 5 of them play the body well. That is waht you need on your bottom six in today's game.
How about bringing in Ben Eager for 2 years @ 1 million a year...he is not a goon but offers protection.

I would sign Kevin Bieska for 3 years @ 4 million a year.

I would sign Jonathan Ericcson for 3 years @ 1.75 a year.

Trade Dan Giradi, Hagelin and this years first for Ryan Getzlaf.

Wolski-Getzlaf-Gabby
Cally-AA-Dubi
Avery-Stepan-Feds
Eager-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Bieska
Sauer - McD
MDZ/Tank/Kundratek - Ericcson, one of them would have to move to the right side.

no more Drury, EC, Prospal, Gilroy, Emminger

If a kid takes Avery or Feds spot, I am good with that as well.

Now, you have a blend of size, grit and scoring.

Getzlaf is the play making center and protection all rolled into one.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I feel like Wolski is someone we should not so easily dismiss. He's a sure thing play off performer, and has a pretty high upside. If he doesn't look so good next season, move him at the trade deadline.
Agree 100%

If we are looking to upgrade the offense you don't buy out a guy that age with that kind of success already.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:09 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Agree 100%

If we are looking to upgrade the offense you don't buy out a guy that age with that kind of success already.
Where does he fit beyond next season though? Say he has a moderately successful season next year.... Are we supposed to retain him and give him a raise on top of his current $3.8 mil cap hit? That would put him in the $4-5 mil range... I just don't see the value there for an inconsistent player who isn't particularly adept defensively and doesn't kill penalties or contribute in other facets.

I view Wolski as a stop-gap player... We can utilize him for depth this upcoming season but I don't see any place for him in the Rangers future due to his inconsistency.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:40 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
How about bringing in Ben Eager for 2 years @ 1 million a year...he is not a goon but offers protection.

I would sign Kevin Bieska for 3 years @ 4 million a year.

I would sign Jonathan Ericcson for 3 years @ 1.75 a year.

Wolski-Getzlaf-Gabby
Cally-AA-Dubi
Avery-Stepan-Feds
Eager-Boyle-Prust

Staal-Bieska
Sauer - McD
MDZ/Tank/Kundratek - Ericcson, one of them would have to move to the right side.

no more Drury, EC, Prospal, Gilroy, Emminger

If a kid takes Avery or Feds spot, I am good with that as well.

Now, you have a blend of size, grit and scoring.

Getzlaf is the play making center and protection all rolled into one.
Anaheim would not even consider that trade, and Ericsson is going to get more money then that.

Also, not a big fan of Eager. Too volatile and prone to stupid penalties.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:54 PM
hockeyman001

Anaheim's not giving up Getzlaf for that or anything resembling it.

Eager is just another agitator middleweight. He doesn't add toughness, he's just someone that will hit and occasionally fight, take lots of stupid penalties, but he can't beat up heavys or protect people, so there's no point bringing him in.

These are the same reasons players like Ryan Hollweg, etc. aren't very useful. Energy grinding wingers are the most overrated position in hockey. Because there are energy scoring wingers (guys like Callahan/Graves/etc.) who are more useful.

Don't want any part of Eager.

IMO, we don't "need" a true heavy but we should have one in the system to call up for games where there may be extracurricular stuff. Wings have been fine without a true "enforcer" for years and you don't see Datsyuk/Zetterberg always getting hacked. Not saying it will always be that way for the Rangers but if there's a game you expect that will happen and someone will have to answer for a legit heavy...just have someone you can call up for those games, no need to send someone out there 50-70 games just taking up space and seeing 2 minutes of ice a night...

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

one guy who is an UFA but a beast is David Koci. i can see Slats target him on July 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm50_...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1GX8...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDtkR...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Tem...eature=related

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:31 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I agree he deserves a shot (at least in camp) but sure-fire playoff performer? The sample sizes sure are small and spread out for him (27 games over 5 years) I don't think thats very useful data to influence a decision on him.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44

he is a tuff kid but a true goon once again? Rather have a minor league goon for league min

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Any videos of him on the PK or scoring a goal?

Seriously though, I'd rather not just bring in a tough guy for the sake of having a goon to fight.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:27 PM
NYR Viper

Zenon Konopka!! Please!!

I'll also take Bieksa/Ehrhoff on the back-end to toss some people around a bit.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:26 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
The Rangers lack team toughness. Dubi and Cally are talented and will mix it up but really should not be fighting or having to fight the Rupps or Gillies in the division. Prust is a willing guy but a pillow puncher that scares no one. The Rangers drafted very big and they are a yr or 2 away. I would like Boulton for 1 yr with a option
IDK, they did lead the league in hits, and finished 4th overall in blocked shots. To me, that's team toughness (the poster team right now).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:32 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I agree he deserves a shot (at least in camp) but sure-fire playoff performer? The sample sizes sure are small and spread out for him (27 games over 5 years) I don't think thats very useful data to influence a decision on him.
He may not be a playoff God, but even when the rest of his squads aren't producing in the playoffs he still is, regardless of team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Where does he fit beyond next season though? Say he has a moderately successful season next year.... Are we supposed to retain him and give him a raise on top of his current $3.8 mil cap hit? That would put him in the $4-5 mil range... I just don't see the value there for an inconsistent player who isn't particularly adept defensively and doesn't kill penalties or contribute in other facets.

I view Wolski as a stop-gap player... We can utilize him for depth this upcoming season but I don't see any place for him in the Rangers future due to his inconsistency.
Well you simply have to hope he puts it all together. The potential is there, and you bring him back next year if he looks good in camp to see if he can realize and fulfill that potential. If he is moderately successful yet still inconsistent, great, because I'm sure that increases his trade value. It's all about getting the most out of your assets.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:52 PM
gravytrain6t

I'm not against fighting but as a team strategy, look at Detroit. I don't think they have a single goon. Bertuzzi, maybe is their tough guy (not sure)? It's all about skill and puck possession now.

It's difficult to push Detroit around if they do not push (or punch) back. Then you're always short a man. Detroit gets their revenge on the score board.

If there was a guy who can really contribute out there (but they're not available) like a Lucic or Kane, I'd be all for it.

But to bring in a goon who's dressing only for select opponents like the Flyers, Islanders, and who ever else...., I think you're just running the risk of having the team lose its focus on what's most important. The actual game plan.

A few season's back that did happen. When the Flyers had Brashear, they dressed him for a home game against the Rangers. He cheap shotted, rabbit punched,..etc (other dumb penalities) and the Rangers maintained their composure and just went on power play after power play. The Rangers (at the same time) built up so much momentum (and won).
The next game was played the same except Brashear was benched and the Rangers were the ones taking bad penalties. The Flyers won.
Just saying....I think Detroit is on to something after all of these years!!

I suppose what I'm trying to say, is, get Brad Richards!! Our PP is (obviously) horrible.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I'm not against fighting but as a team strategy, look at Detroit. I don't think they have a single goon. Bertuzzi, maybe is their tough guy (not sure)? It's all about skill and puck possession now.

It's difficult to push Detroit around if they do not push (or punch) back. Then you're always short a man. Detroit gets their revenge on the score board.

If there was a guy who can really contribute out there (but they're not available) like a Lucic or Kane, I'd be all for it.

But to bring in a goon who's dressing only for select opponents like the Flyers, Islanders, and who ever else...., I think you're just running the risk of having the team lose its focus on what's most important. The actual game plan.

A few season's back that did happen. When the Flyers had Brashear, they dressed him for a home game against the Rangers. He cheap shotted, rabbit punched,..etc (other dumb penalities) and the Rangers maintained their composure and just went on power play after power play. The Rangers (at the same time) built up so much momentum (and won).
The next game was played the same except Brashear was benched and the Rangers were the ones taking bad penalties. The Flyers won.
Just saying....I think Detroit is on to something after all of these years!!

I suppose what I'm trying to say, is, get Brad Richards!! Our PP is (obviously) horrible.

No need for a heavyweight, but Sather needs to bring in someone who can take the load somewhat off of Prust. Brandon had close to 30 points while playing and literally fighting through a shoulder injury. He shouldnt be asked to fight all of the time. he is the only player who will answer the bell when called upon.

All that I want them to do is bring in SOMEONE, ANYONE, who can take the load off of Prust and let him stay healthy. He is a very effective player and at 26, he still has some potential to get better offensively. He could be that 3rd liner that is a staple on this team for a long time if the Rangers can take care of him, and that means bringing in a Zenon Konopka, or a Chris Neil, or a player like that.

Boyle-Konopka-Prust

Please........

or make a trade for either a LW or a C who can drop the gloves and play the game as well.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:57 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
No need for a heavyweight, but Sather needs to bring in someone who can take the load somewhat off of Prust. Brandon had close to 30 points while playing and literally fighting through a shoulder injury. He shouldnt be asked to fight all of the time. he is the only player who will answer the bell when called upon.

All that I want them to do is bring in SOMEONE, ANYONE, who can take the load off of Prust and let him stay healthy. He is a very effective player and at 26, he still has some potential to get better offensively. He could be that 3rd liner that is a staple on this team for a long time if the Rangers can take care of him, and that means bringing in a Zenon Konopka, or a Chris Neil, or a player like that.

Boyle-Konopka-Prust

Please........

or make a trade for either a LW or a C who can drop the gloves and play the game as well.
I agree. I may have said it a bunch of time on other threads that I thought Chris Stewart would be a great fit for the Rangers.
He fights anyone.
Provides the team with a 25-30 goal scorer (maybe more in the future and he gets most on the power play).
Callahan wouldn't be the only right handed shot we'd have on the wing.
The Rangers could have spiced up the deal if they're getting Shattenkirk included.
Stewart is only 23, and Shattenkirk is 22.
Shattenkirk gives the Rangers a potential dynamite 1-2 punch along with DZ on the PP (I believe Shattenkirk is a righty. It'll be just like the old days when we had Zubov and Leetch ).

We would have had to pay as JD gave up E. Johnson in the deal but I thought that Sather should have at least explored the opportunity and both teams would have flip flopped the players to the other conference as well.

Any way that's dead but, maybe something like that comes up again...
Not unless Sather has a master plan already set (which he probably does). He could surprise us all and get no one.

Old
05-19-2011, 09:16 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
If you were an Anaheim fan, what would be your reaction to that trade?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote