HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you a player person, or a team person

Old
05-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
I root for this. Period.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:08 AM
mti79

As many have stated, I root for the New York Rangers above all else. There have been players I liked outside the NYR organization that became Rangers and I've been excited (Bure, Robitaille, Courtnall, Samuelsson), others that I hated that became Rangers that I rooted for however reluctantly (Lindros, Brashear, Holik) and some who started with the Rangers that went elsewhere that I follow because I became a fan of the player (Prucha, Korpikoski, Orr, Amonte, Zubov).

End of the day, I root for the jersey way before the players. There are always going to be players you root for more than others, but October 12, 2009 at the Garden, Colton Orr of the Maple Leafs squared off with Donald Brashear of the Rangers (see above for my feelings on both players) and I was cheering on Brashear... although, I kind of regret that now... ha ha.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:36 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I root for this. Period.

WIN ! ! !

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:53 AM
chosen

Certain players on other teams I hate. When they come here I still hate them. Avery has been the only one in recent memory to fit that bill, so it's not like it's a very common occurrence.

Years ago, the Rangers brought in a total thug, who was accused of something like manslaughter, or some similar charge, and had a string of hockey suspensions. I was disgusted by his being brought to NY. Was even more disgusted when some Rangers fans started embracing him just because he had on the Rangers sweater. Don't remember his name.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:40 AM
ogie

I guess i would say i am a team guy because as much as i love certain players if they get traded or sign somewhere else i could care less about them anymore.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Nich

Without a doubt a team player. Name on the front of the jersey not the one on the back

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:11 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

I root for the name on the front not the name on the back. It is always rewarding to see guys come up through the system and succeed with the big club. But in the end its all about the crest!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:14 AM
94now

I absolutely don't care about established players, do not love anyone normally (exceptions below), esp. goalies. Prospects are the different story, that's why I spend a lot of my time here. I also root for coaches I liked that left the team, but never the players. I curious about Renney, I other words, but not Zherdev.

Exceptions do exist, those are superstars forwards (only, don't ask why) that left a lifetime impression: Bure, Jagr, Messier, TGO and some others lesser ones like Kovalev, Fleury, Lindros, LaFontaine.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Could care less about individuals. Some players i love, because they leave lasting legacies, like the guys that got us that 94 cup, other than that, all i want is to win.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

On another note, this thread has Zuccarello lovers written all over it.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I'm sorry but this post makes me sick. Betts was a Ranger for 4 seasons..and you're gonna root for him to win the Flyers a cup?

Everyone should've rooted for Lindros as a Ranger...because he was a Ranger. You root for your sweater..players come and go
Well i could never root for a guy like Vick. Vick was waaaay way worse than lindros though obviously. I would always root for a ranger even if he had a garbage attitude and came off like a jerk but I def draw the line at criminals y'know?

Flip side there are guys like Cally and hank who have just given me so many great great moments of happiness that i could find myself cheering for them for at least a brief instant no matter what jersey they wore.

One of the great moments of all time at MSg was Eddie Eddie Eddie!!

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:52 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Since baseball is my primary sport, and the Yankees are my favorite team, I'd have to go with the team/jersey/logo. The Yankees don't have names on the back of their jerseys and I think other sports should do that as well.
the yankees are also the most self-important sports organization this side of the Habs

i mean they'll spout off about no names on the back of the jersey while assembling a team full of primadonnas.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
As many have stated, I root for the New York Rangers above all else. There have been players I liked outside the NYR organization that became Rangers and I've been excited (Bure, Robitaille, Courtnall, Samuelsson), others that I hated that became Rangers that I rooted for however reluctantly (Lindros, Brashear, Holik) and some who started with the Rangers that went elsewhere that I follow because I became a fan of the player (Prucha, Korpikoski, Orr, Amonte, Zubov).

End of the day, I root for the jersey way before the players. There are always going to be players you root for more than others, but October 12, 2009 at the Garden, Colton Orr of the Maple Leafs squared off with Donald Brashear of the Rangers (see above for my feelings on both players) and I was cheering on Brashear... although, I kind of regret that now... ha ha.
Ha, guess that's the difference between me and some here.

First off I hated Holik. He's another one (in addition to Brashear), one of the few. NEVER wanted him. I wanted the Rangers to win in spite of him.

Never hated Lindros. He was frustrating to play against but always one of those guys I would have loved if he became a Ranger and when he did, I thought the Rangers gave up too much (Brendl!!! LOL) but was OK with the move and of course wanted him to dominate like he did in the 90s. Too bad he was already past his best days though.

Sort of like I always say I would have absolutely loved Scott Stevens had he been a Ranger.

When Orr (Leafs) fought Brashear as a Ranger, I was rooting for Orr to win the fight but the Rangers to win the game.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:27 PM
BKRangerFan

The crest always comes first...

but who did not want to see leetch succeed no matter what team he was on ?

also, i dont understand how anybody could have cheered for Brashear. The goon was here only to fight and not actually help the team in any other facet of the game..

I wouldnt cheer for Bertuzzi if he ever puts on a blueshirt. No matter what he does on the ice... some players just do not represent what it means to play for this team or represent this city.

just my take on it.

BKRangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Dustin Peener

vCash: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
On another note, this thread has Zuccarello lovers written all over it.
Definitely, I watch all Rangers games on online streams and they are always full of Norwegians/Modo fans in the chat box, they all ask if Zuccarello is playing and when they get told no they leave.

In relation to some of the posts in this thread about rooting for a former ranger to win the cup with another team; I would only be able to do this in the case of Hank and Cally if they were to leave, and if they didn't win a cup with the Rangers, just because they both totally deserve to win it

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
The Zuccarello thing is totally understandable though. The only reason they have a passing interest in our organization is because of Mats. Do we expect them to become true Rangers fans over half a season? Pretty unlikely.

That the sole focus for many of the Norwegian contingent is Zuccarello can be a bit irritating, but it's not unexpected. And it shouldn't be held against those posters.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:02 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy3413 View Post
Definitely, I watch all Rangers games on online streams and they are always full of Norwegians/Modo fans in the chat box, they all ask if Zuccarello is playing and when they get told no they leave.

In relation to some of the posts in this thread about rooting for a former ranger to win the cup with another team; I would only be able to do this in the case of Hank and Cally if they were to leave, and if they didn't win a cup with the Rangers, just because they both totally deserve to win it
Didn't quite reach for the kleenex box (almost), but I really wanted Gartner to be a part of that 94' Cup team. I didn't think they needed to add Glenn Anderson, and he really didn't do too much in the playoffs anyhow considering he had a reputation as a "big game hunter" which, was exactly why Smith swapped Gartner for him.

Even the rookie, A. Kovalev had a much more impressive playoff run than Anderson. I think Gartner is maybe the most underrated player that ever played the game. He had a wicked wrist/slap shot (not sure how many people remember him) and could skate circles around Mike Bossy on a bad day.

Reminds me of Gabby in many ways, and like Marcel Dionne, he was so underrated you can barely find him on youtube. I found maybe one vid with some decent highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4q1G-AF95U

I hope Cally and especially Hank do not go anywhere. I think there are certain players who (I guess as an unwritten rule) have been such big stars from the time they stepped into the NHL with a particular organization, that out of respect, they just shouldn't be dealt. You can bet that like Yzerman, Lidstrom will never go any place.

Obviously with regards to the Rangers, Leetch immediately comes to mind and I would have liked to see him get his 1,000th pt wearing a Rangers jersey.

I think "Hank" certainly is the guy in the org. right now where if you'd ask most fans, they'd never be in favor of him getting dealt.

Especially right before a playoff run.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 05-19-2011 at 10:13 PM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 11:44 AM
kvakklunch

*delete me*

Last edited by kvakklunch: 05-20-2011 at 05:23 PM.
kvakklunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphyXy View Post
On the flip side, who here actually rooted for Lindros when he was a Ranger? I was hoping for a concussion before his skates ever touched the ice. Ranger or not, I just could not stand the person.
Just awful post. I'm embarassed that you feel that way about any player who ever wore a New York Ranger sweater.

I actually got to know Lindros a little when he played in Philadelphia (I was a major Flyer sponsor) and he was incredibly gracious to me and my family. He was perceived as a great teammate by his peers. What happened to Eric Lindros was a tragedy for all of hockey.

Read the MacLeans article this month about Lindros and you may feel a little differently.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:33 PM
RangersRising
Oh Baby

I loathed Lindros and was embarrassed when we got him, but he slowly won me over while he was here. At the time we signed him, he had a reputation among fans as being a crybaby when things did not go his way. Over the years though, all I saw was a hard working guy trying to be useful to the team no matter what was asked of him, and even when is minutes were cut or his role was reduced he did not complain. He was a guy I never ever thought I would respect, but eventually through his own hard work and professional demeanor, I did.

RangersRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:22 PM
kvakklunch

This thread is perfect!

Zuccarello

kvakklunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 02:15 AM
Scotty Hockey

I utterly despised Lindros. Not because he was a Flyer - although that didn't help - but because of his selfishness at draft day. His refusal to put on the Nordiques sweater was an embarrassment. He is living the dream of how many thousands of children and he pisses on it because he was greedy. Hey, you don't want to play for them, fine. Honour the game at least, don't be a selfish jerk. Mario pulled the same bulls--t too, because the Pens didn't sign him ahead of the draft.

As for the thread topic, I root for the team but I feel I don't have to be happy about it. We don't elect the general manager, we don't have to be pleased with the players he picks. Hell, many loathe Glen Sather. You hate him but you have to root for whatever moves he makes? I don't think so. Just because the guy is issued the sweater doesn't suddenly make him a decent player or an honourable one worthy of it. Donald Brashear was handed the jersey but he was never a New York Ranger to me.

When it comes to the guys who go, I'm with Jimmy - one of the greatest moments in franchise history was the Detroit Eddie game. A player gives all he can for a few seasons (or more) and earns your respect and love - it isn't easy to turn that off. I rooted for Beezer when he was with Florida. I still root for Jed wherever her goes (except for the Island, hatred for them overrules everything for me).

And Chosen - I think you were thinking of Billy Tibbetts.

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 04:03 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Hockey View Post
I utterly despised Lindros. Not because he was a Flyer - although that didn't help - but because of his selfishness at draft day. His refusal to put on the Nordiques sweater was an embarrassment. He is living the dream of how many thousands of children and he pisses on it because he was greedy. Hey, you don't want to play for them, fine. Honour the game at least, don't be a selfish jerk. Mario pulled the same bulls--t too, because the Pens didn't sign him ahead of the draft.

As for the thread topic, I root for the team but I feel I don't have to be happy about it. We don't elect the general manager, we don't have to be pleased with the players he picks. Hell, many loathe Glen Sather. You hate him but you have to root for whatever moves he makes? I don't think so. Just because the guy is issued the sweater doesn't suddenly make him a decent player or an honourable one worthy of it. Donald Brashear was handed the jersey but he was never a New York Ranger to me.

When it comes to the guys who go, I'm with Jimmy - one of the greatest moments in franchise history was the Detroit Eddie game. A player gives all he can for a few seasons (or more) and earns your respect and love - it isn't easy to turn that off. I rooted for Beezer when he was with Florida. I still root for Jed wherever her goes (except for the Island, hatred for them overrules everything for me).

And Chosen - I think you were thinking of Billy Tibbetts.

That's one of the more interesting, and satisfying responses. I wonder, does anyone else distinguish between "New York Rangers" and players wearing the sweater. And if so, where does Gaborik fit in?

This interests me.

P.S. I'm far from a Zucc lover. The kid has value,but I think he needs some more NHL acclimation.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

You root for the team. There are certain players around the league that you might like because of what they did when they were here but the Rangers come first. You see everything in the prism of being a Ranger fan. Would you hate Redden if he were given that contract by the flyers? Would you scream for Drury to retire if he played for Buffalo? The only time it was OK to root against the Rangers was the Giacomin game.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:03 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Everyone takes to certain players while they're on the team. However, once they are no longer Rangers, that's it. I may follow them a bit after the fact, but not enough to really care. Rangers come first and foremost.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote