HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd 2010-11 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I have a question for everyone who gets to see the Phantoms I work nights now and haven't had the chance to see any Phantoms games this past season. I was wondering how Marshall and MAB are progressing. It was my hope after we drafted them that Marshall would be ready to fill the #6 dman next season and move up into the top 4 over the next 3 seasons. I know he didn't progress as expected last year but was wondering how this past season went for him.

I know that MAB had good upside potential but was also less likely to reach the level of 2nd pairing dman and I was wondering how his progression has been.

We will likely lose one of Carle or Coburn after next season and we'll need someone in the system to step up as a #5 dman who can fill in on the top 4 when needed and right now we don't have anyone that can do that. I'm still holding out hope that Marshall and if not him MAB can fill that role. What are the chances of either of them reaching that level over the next 2 years?

Well right now, Erik Gustafsson is considered the prospect most ready to jump in next season. Marshall and Bourdon, to me, both had average seasons. Marshall looked better than last season, but his passing out of the zone really needs work. Bourdon, had a slightly down season. I think he looked better last season. He was hurt this season, and didnt look up to par.

Right now though, Gustafsson is hands down the teams best defensive prospect, with MAB and Marshall behind him. I dont think Marshall or Bourdon make the team next season, MAYBE one of them the season after. I have a feeling Gus pushes for a spot if it is open this summer.

Old
05-05-2011, 09:03 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
It's been awhile but...

Shawinigan ended up losing in 7 games, Labrecque finished with 6 goals and 7 assists for 13 points in 13 games. I think we have until some point this summer to sign him or he's no longer our property.

Quebec, the team that beat Shawinigan, lost to Gatineau and the Olympiques are currently in the finals against St. John's, down 1-0 in the series. McGinn has 4G, 7A for 11 points in 10 games, and hasn't played since my last update. I guess he has some type of injury.

Old
05-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
It's been awhile but...

Shawinigan ended up losing in 7 games, Labrecque finished with 6 goals and 7 assists for 13 points in 13 games. I think we have until some point this summer to sign him or he's no longer our property.

Quebec, the team that beat Shawinigan, lost to Gatineau and the Olympiques are currently in the finals against St. John's, down 1-0 in the series. McGinn has 4G, 7A for 11 points in 10 games, and hasn't played since my last update. I guess he has some type of injury.
We own his exclusive rights until the end of this month, May 31st 2011. It's the same for Riopel and Morrison.

Old
05-13-2011, 04:10 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

In case you were curious...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...pring20112130/

Quote:
Strengths: The Flyers have mined the free-agent prospect pool and invested late picks judiciously to augment their ongoing lack of early-round draft selections. In addition to the recently graduated goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky, three of the Flyers' top ten prospects were free-agent signings. Of the other seven, none were first-rounders and only one was a second-round selection. They possess respectable depth on the wings as well as the blue line to complement a relatively complete team bursting with talented centermen at the NHL level. Weaknesses: Philadelphia has been in win-now mode, adding big-ticket veterans to a young core of players on the big club. That approach has left them with few assets to invest in highly bankable prospects in terms of both their long-term ceiling and their immediate ability to contribute. Despite the development of Bobrovsky and their top-rated prospect Joacim Eriksson, lingering uncertainty in goal casts its shadow over the present and future of the organization. Top 5 Prospects: 1. Joacim Eriksson, G, 2. Eric Wellwood, LW, 3. Erik Gustafsson, D, 4. Brendan Ranford, LW, 5. Joonas Lehtivuori, D. Lost to Graduation: Andreas Nodl, Oskars Bartulis, Sergei Bobrovsky. Lost to Trade: Patrick Maroon.
We finished 28 of 30.

I'm pretty sure everyone saw this coming. Under us are Atlanta and Calgary.

Old
05-13-2011, 05:09 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

I'm amazed yet again that we're not last.

Old
05-14-2011, 01:41 AM
zarley zelepukin

Yeah, 28th? I think that counts as a win.

Old
05-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

They would of been significantly higher without idiot stick in charge. The transformation of the team after he left was incredible. I wonder, just how damaging his coaching will be upon some of the younger defensemen.

However, Could someone please give me a quick run down on just how good this matt read is, where did he come from, how does he play? Seemed to light the AHL on fire when he got here. Is he another case of a scottie upshall getting hot after being traded, or is he something we can actually look forward to seeing in the flyers uniform sometime.

Thanks

Old
05-16-2011, 07:20 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
However, Could someone please give me a quick run down on just how good this matt read is, where did he come from, how does he play?

Thanks
Also, is it pronounced "red" or "reid"? Never heard his name spoken.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:41 PM
RogueStatus
Devils-Redhawks

If anyone is interested, we have a mock draft and we only need a few more teams to start. Philly is open http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=914051

Old
05-18-2011, 01:34 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I'm amazed yet again that we're not last.
surely those awesome signings of Pither,Testwuide and Holmstrom got us out of 30th.
yay. lets celebrate we dont have the worst prospect group in the league.
Atlanta being behind us tho really says something about their scouting or lack thereof. They have been picking pretty high for the most part lately and it seems they lead the league in draft busts.

Old
05-18-2011, 03:21 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
surely those awesome signings of Pither,Testwuide and Holmstrom got us out of 30th.
Atlanta being behind us tho really says something about their scouting or lack thereof. They have been picking pretty high for the most part lately and it seems they lead the league in draft busts.
It's not Atlanta's scouting that's screwing up. They rush their players to play in the NHL when they're really not ready. They rushed Burmistrov in 2010, Kane in 2009(not as much as the other 2), and Bogosian in 2008. Burmistrov had a mediocre season this year, Kane has progressed but not as much as I think he would if he would've had one more year in junior, and Bogosian had a great rookie year followed by 2 mediocre seasons. They would have been much better off letting those 3 dominate juniors for one more year, and then bringing them over. Instead, they used them to fill spots on the NHL roster when they really weren't ready, and I think it's stunted their development and lowered what their ceiling is.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It's not Atlanta's scouting that's screwing up. They rush their players to play in the NHL when they're really not ready. They rushed Burmistrov in 2010, Kane in 2009(not as much as the other 2), and Bogosian in 2008. Burmistrov had a mediocre season this year, Kane has progressed but not as much as I think he would if he would've had one more year in junior, and Bogosian had a great rookie year followed by 2 mediocre seasons. They would have been much better off letting those 3 dominate juniors for one more year, and then bringing them over. Instead, they used them to fill spots on the NHL roster when they really weren't ready, and I think it's stunted their development and lowered what their ceiling is.
Patrick Williams of THN summed it up the best when he said that Alex Bourret perfectly sums up the Thrashers organization. However, they haven't rushed all of their guys. Bryan Little stayed home for two years, Alex Bourret was traded for Pascal Dupuis when it was obvious he wasn't going to pan out. Daultan Leveille - not even close. Boris Valabik has only played 80 NHL games. We all know about Coburn.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-19-2011, 08:38 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by go david krejci 430 View Post
Patrick Williams of THN summed it up the best when he said that Alex Bourret perfectly sums up the Thrashers organization. However, they haven't rushed all of their guys. Bryan Little stayed home for two years, Alex Bourret was traded for Pascal Dupuis when it was obvious he wasn't going to pan out. Daultan Leveille - not even close. Boris Valabik has only played 80 NHL games. We all know about Coburn.
I have a feeling Coburn would not be as good as he is now had he not gotten out of that sinkhole.

I don't think a lot of people realize this, but environment is a big part of prospect development. Atlanta is a stagnant environment.

Old
05-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Holmstrom looks like betts part 2, Weed managed to stay a + player almost throughout the entire season. That is pretty damn incredible when Gust was -30 at one point.

The phantoms in the second half of the season must of been playing lights out hockey. Take a look at the +- stats after the coach was changed. Unbelievable.

Old
05-19-2011, 09:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Holmstrom looks like betts part 2, Weed managed to stay a + player almost throughout the entire season. That is pretty damn incredible when Gust was -30 at one point.

The phantoms in the second half of the season must of been playing lights out hockey. Take a look at the +- stats after the coach was changed. Unbelievable.
Holmstrom, Testwuide, and Wellwood have me excited.

Gustafsson on the blueline as well.

And as I said before, we let a solid prospect in Maroon get away/ruined just because we were afraid to call a spade a spade.

I'm glad that our AHL team can now move forward without being held back by such shoddy lockerroom management and coaching.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

Nothing against those guys. My problem is we have to sign guys like that just to fill out our prospect pool because our GM gives away draft picks like candy. that and we are drafting guys like Klotz in round 3.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well right now, Erik Gustafsson is considered the prospect most ready to jump in next season. Marshall and Bourdon, to me, both had average seasons. Marshall looked better than last season, but his passing out of the zone really needs work. Bourdon, had a slightly down season. I think he looked better last season. He was hurt this season, and didnt look up to par.

Right now though, Gustafsson is hands down the teams best defensive prospect, with MAB and Marshall behind him. I dont think Marshall or Bourdon make the team next season, MAYBE one of them the season after. I have a feeling Gus pushes for a spot if it is open this summer.
I like the fact that Marshall and Bourdon will be working with an excellent coach who can help them get their games back on track. This is a critical season for those two as it will be their third year in the AHL. The previous head coach in Adirondack did a real number on that team and we all saw in one half season how much of a difference good coaching makes.

I really think that this upcoming year, guys like Pither, Harper, Wellwood, Testwuide, Holmstrom and Akeson are going to have big years for the team and I really think that Marshall and Bourdon will make it to the next level and make the big club.

Just goes to show how one person can be in completely over their head with regards to coaching and how it can affect a whole group. It's too bad that we ended up losing Maroon because I thought he could have been a difference maker.

Old
05-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Nothing against those guys. My problem is we have to sign guys like that just to fill out our prospect pool because our GM gives away draft picks like candy. that and we are drafting guys like Klotz in round 3.
But, if it works, it works. If any of them turn out to be anything decent, then we have technically had them for nothing.

The past season could actually do wonders for some of these prospects. They have seen how hard it can be, and can now actually look forward to playing some hockey.

I'm really looking forward to seeing

Testyweed 4
Read
Gust 1
Wellwood 2
Holmstrom 3
Akeson

next year. There is at least 4 NHL regulars in that group I believe. If Testwuide decides to use his strength, we could be looking at another Knuble, but with foot speed. Holmstrom looks like an incredible defensive forward, Wellwood has speed and could be another Kapenen with worse hands, Gust looks like a young Timonen.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:19 PM
lancer247

Sestito looked good with the blue jackets early in the season. He looked good using his size in front of the and skated bettr then I thought would. I am surprised he isn't talked about more.

Old
05-19-2011, 07:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Sestito looked good with the blue jackets early in the season. He looked good using his size in front of the and skated bettr then I thought would. I am surprised he isn't talked about more.
We definitely have a selective list of legitimate prospects though the range from boom-or-bust players to sure things with limited potential:

(vanRiemsdyk) - (Giroux) - (Nodl)
Wellwood - Read - Ranford
Sestito - Holmstrom - Testwuide
McGinn - Pither - Akeson
Rinaldo

Gustafsson - Marshall
Lehtivuori - Bourdon
Bertilsson - (Bartulis)
Manning

(Bobrovsky) - Eriksson - Hovinen

( ) denotes recent graduate in the last couple years.

Old
05-20-2011, 01:41 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Offseason out of nowhere (and bold) prediction? Brendan Ranford makes the team as a 19 yr old.
JVR-Richards-Ranford

(before people yell, like I said HUGE PROBABLY NOT GONNA HAPPEN BOLD PREDICTION. Relax, a man can dream haha )

But seriously, for the Phantoms, hoping they can do well next season. They need to bring back some vets like Hamel (great locker room guy, and great team player, plus he can score), Jancevski will be back, Ryan gets resigned hopefully. Would maybe add one more vet if they can.

Old
05-20-2011, 02:47 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Offseason out of nowhere (and bold) prediction? Brendan Ranford makes the team as a 19 yr old.
JVR-Richards-Ranford

(before people yell, like I said HUGE PROBABLY NOT GONNA HAPPEN BOLD PREDICTION. Relax, a man can dream haha )

But seriously, for the Phantoms, hoping they can do well next season. They need to bring back some vets like Hamel (great locker room guy, and great team player, plus he can score), Jancevski will be back, Ryan gets resigned hopefully. Would maybe add one more vet if they can.
That's where it gets a little tricky though.

UFA's on the Phantoms are: Hamel, Ryan, Clackson, Eddy, Stephenson, JP Testwuide, and Riopel.

RFA's on the Phantoms are: Sestito, Kalinski, Legein, Bordson, Klotz, Syvret, and Stewart.

That means we have the following under contract (though clearly not guaranteed to be on the Phantoms):

Forwards: Akeson, Brown, Harper, Holmstrom, Read, Pither, Rinaldo, Rowe, Testwuide, Wellwood, and Zolnierczyk.
Defensemen: Bourdon, Hostetter, Jancevski, Lauridsen, Lehtivuori, Manning, Marshall, Gustafsson, and Bartulis.
Goalies: Backlund and Hovinen.

Let's pretend that Hamel and Ryan are returning from the UFAs as forwards. Also that Sestito and Syvret are returning from the RFAs. We also probably should re-up Riopel so we have another goalie.

Then you have to consider that McGinn and Labrecque need contracts as well, but for now I'll assume that only McGinn gets a deal.

That leaves 15 forwards competing, 10 defensemen competing, and 2 goalies since Hovinen is spending the year in Finland.

Old
05-20-2011, 10:09 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That's where it gets a little tricky though.

UFA's on the Phantoms are: Hamel, Ryan, Clackson, Eddy, Stephenson, JP Testwuide, and Riopel.

RFA's on the Phantoms are: Sestito, Kalinski, Legein, Bordson, Klotz, Syvret, and Stewart.

That means we have the following under contract (though clearly not guaranteed to be on the Phantoms):

Forwards: Akeson, Brown, Harper, Holmstrom, Read, Pither, Rinaldo, Rowe, Testwuide, Wellwood, and Zolnierczyk.
Defensemen: Bourdon, Hostetter, Jancevski, Lauridsen, Lehtivuori, Manning, Marshall, Gustafsson, and Bartulis.
Goalies: Backlund and Hovinen.

Let's pretend that Hamel and Ryan are returning from the UFAs as forwards. Also that Sestito and Syvret are returning from the RFAs. We also probably should re-up Riopel so we have another goalie.

Then you have to consider that McGinn and Labrecque need contracts as well, but for now I'll assume that only McGinn gets a deal.

That leaves 15 forwards competing, 10 defensemen competing, and 2 goalies since Hovinen is spending the year in Finland.
Vets are important for the young guys. I wasnt as on boat last year, but watching a ton of games, who can see the immediate difference the younger players had when they had older guys to learn from. Yea, these older guys arent regular NHL players, but they know what it takes to compete. Keeping guys like Hamel (which I think should be the #1 priotiy for the phantoms), and Ryan is going to be important in the long run for the current Phantoms players.

You gotta think that MAYBE one or two of the prospects make the big squad. I think Gustafsson has a really good chance. I dont think spending another season in the AHL putting up 45+ points is necessary. He finally got his defense going the last half of the season (as you can not only see in his play but also his stats). He stopped going on the rush so much, which affected his points total somewhat, but his defensive play improved.

I also truely think one of Read or Wellwood make the team. Their both on pretty cheap contracts. Read is going to be 25, and his contract is 3 years and he is an UFA. Wellwood I think could be a solid 9 guy with the really low caphit he brings.

I cant see them resigning Syvret. They let him walk last year. I can see them doing it again. I cant see them letting Sestito go. They go and trade Chaput, who, had a pretty decent season in the QMJHL. He had the making of a faceoff winning 4th line two-way center. Would bea waste not to resign Sestito.

On defense, sadly I cant see Lehtivuori coming back. I was really high on him, especially after his first season, but I think if he doesnt make the big squad, he goes back and stays in Finland. That leaves us with 6 defenders in Jancevski, Marshall, Bourdon, Lauridsen, Hostetter, and Manning.

Marshall played with Hostetter near the end of the season. I can see them try that again. Manning with Jancevski and Lauridsen and Bourdon.

On forwards, its very difficult. Harper did really well in the ECHL. Can he do it in the AHL? Pither isnt a 4th line center, so that means he needs to beat out the other guys on a top 3 center spot, and so far Holmstrom would be the #1 center with Testwuide and Ryan on his wings. I have some decent hopes for Akeson. Hoping he can do well in his first season. I can see them putting Hamel with Akeson hoping the same magic Read-Hamel had in the few games would continue.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:09 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Vets are important for the young guys. I wasnt as on boat last year, but watching a ton of games, who can see the immediate difference the younger players had when they had older guys to learn from. Yea, these older guys arent regular NHL players, but they know what it takes to compete. Keeping guys like Hamel (which I think should be the #1 priotiy for the phantoms), and Ryan is going to be important in the long run for the current Phantoms players.

You gotta think that MAYBE one or two of the prospects make the big squad. I think Gustafsson has a really good chance. I dont think spending another season in the AHL putting up 45+ points is necessary. He finally got his defense going the last half of the season (as you can not only see in his play but also his stats). He stopped going on the rush so much, which affected his points total somewhat, but his defensive play improved.

I also truely think one of Read or Wellwood make the team. Their both on pretty cheap contracts. Read is going to be 25, and his contract is 3 years and he is an UFA. Wellwood I think could be a solid 9 guy with the really low caphit he brings.

I cant see them resigning Syvret. They let him walk last year. I can see them doing it again. I cant see them letting Sestito go. They go and trade Chaput, who, had a pretty decent season in the QMJHL. He had the making of a faceoff winning 4th line two-way center. Would bea waste not to resign Sestito.

On defense, sadly I cant see Lehtivuori coming back. I was really high on him, especially after his first season, but I think if he doesnt make the big squad, he goes back and stays in Finland. That leaves us with 6 defenders in Jancevski, Marshall, Bourdon, Lauridsen, Hostetter, and Manning.

Marshall played with Hostetter near the end of the season. I can see them try that again. Manning with Jancevski and Lauridsen and Bourdon.

On forwards, its very difficult. Harper did really well in the ECHL. Can he do it in the AHL? Pither isnt a 4th line center, so that means he needs to beat out the other guys on a top 3 center spot, and so far Holmstrom would be the #1 center with Testwuide and Ryan on his wings. I have some decent hopes for Akeson. Hoping he can do well in his first season. I can see them putting Hamel with Akeson hoping the same magic Read-Hamel had in the few games would continue.
A couple things I want to piggyback from this...

-I want Gustafsson on the team regardless of what happens with Carle. I think it's time to throw him into the fire, and his contract is cheap enough for it to be beneficial. Should we keep all 5 top 4 defensemen, I won't mind one bit letting him play with Timonen or Meszaros. If Carle is the odd-man out, I do have my reservations about Bartulis, but if he shows he is capable of playing a limited role, I'm okay with him. The one thing I am most afraid of witnessing is a situation where Carle is moved leaving this:

Pronger - Timonen
Meszaros - Coburn
Gustafsson - Bartulis

I'm deathly afraid of that happening. I hope it never comes to that, and that we find some other way to procure cap space than by moving Carle if we are going to play or Holmgren/Laviolette intend to play that game on our blueline.

-I also agree that re-signing Syvret is an exercise in futility at this point. He is what he is, nothing more, nothing less. I don't know if the organization agrees with that point, but they certainly can't think strongly of Syvret if they've allowed him to move on before.

-If they let Sestito walk, I will lose faith in the organization. No way that's going to happen. You paid for him, now let's see what he can do.

-I actually think Lehtivuori comes back. How long he stays and what he is able to accomplish is completely dependent on him. If he has mentally prepared himself to move back to the lulls of Adirondack and try again, I think he can be extremely successful.

-I'm expecting Manning to take a bigger role defensively than some people around here believe he will. He's right there in the same boat that Marshall and Bourdon were in a bit ago as players who really excelled and dominated aspects of juniors but had to awaken to the AHL level of competition first. Hostetter also fits into that same category, but for some reason I see a lot of the mental preparedness out of Manning that was missing from the other players. Manning is physical, talented, and has a really good head on his shoulders as well as the right attitude to pull this off. I'm picking him as my darkhorse surprise player for this upcoming season.

-I saved the most intriguing point of emphasis for last. I do agree that someone is going to have to make this team as a cheap forward. Wellwood has the speed and pedigree. Read has the age and experience. Sestito has size and tenacity. Rinaldo has a style of reckless abandon that the organization hopes makes him effective.

Right now I think the odds on favorite is Wellwood. That doesn't mean Rinaldo or Sestito can't make the team as well, but if Wellwood makes it then Read is the call-up. Both will not make the roster.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Not like everyone hasn't known known for weeks, but Paterson has been officially named the Phantoms head coach for the upcoming season.

Closed Thread