HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
05-16-2011, 08:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Being a fan and being a paid professional athlete are two vastly different things.

Why isn't Ryan Callahan playing for the Buffalo Sabres right now?

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 08:34 PM
TrollololBoyle

Once prospects get drafted all fandom goes out the window.

Paul Pierce was a Lakers fan and he plays for the Celtics

Phil Hughes was a Red Sox fan and he plays for the Yankees

Taylor Hall was a Flames fan

I love NY sports teams and I would love to play for any Boston, New Jersery or Philadelphia team without having second thoughts.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Levitate

This is pure and complete speculation but if the guy who posted that does have some credibility from past rumors, it could be that maybe Kreider talked privately with some people and said "yeah I'd consider leaving if the Rangers make me an offer" and then that got leaked.

Who knows, interested to see what happens

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:10 PM
CH2

I think Kreider will sign, if not in June, then in July after prospects camp. Gross's article makes it seem he's waiting for an offer, I think he takes it. Hayes and Atkinson are gone, Muse (the goalie) and Whitney are seniors and will be gone, I can't see them making another national title run next year.

CH2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Kreider in 5 years^^

Go BC!!!

TOGA! TOGA! TOGA!

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I think Kreider will sign, if not in June, then in July after prospects camp. Gross's article makes it seem he's waiting for an offer, I think he takes it. Hayes and Atkinson are gone, Muse (the goalie) and Whitney are seniors and will be gone, I can't see them making another national title run next year.
I agree, it sounds like he is waiting for them to make him an offer. He is just going business as usual saying that he plans on staying at BC because what else is he gonna say.

I think after prospect camp if the Rangers throw him an offer, obviously going to be 1+Million, he will go for it. Money is the downfall of words. He'll take the money.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:35 AM
The ACC Report

What a trainwreck this thread is. So what if Kreider is from Massachusetts? So are Brian Leetch, Brian Boyle (both BC grads), and Tortorella among others. I'm sure Kreider is thrilled to be in the Rangers system, particularly considering they're gonna pay him a boatload of money within the next couple of years. The suggestion that the Boston/NY rivalry would impact his decision-making was asinine.

Second, Jerry York is without exaggeration one of the best American-born coaches in the history of hockey, college or otherwise. Anyone who thinks that Kreider's development as a hockey player is somehow inhibited by staying in college are out of their mind. He is in good hands, and the Rangers know this. That's why they haven't put much pressure on him so far. Kreider made a big jump from his freshman to sophomore year but probably isn't NHL ready yet (in my opinion). Even if he is ready, he's probably more better off playing 20 minutes per game at BC than 10 or 11 per game in the NHL on a 3rd or 4th line next year, as consistency is still the biggest issue for him (as one poster astutely mentioned above).

Third, just because the Rangers offer him a contract, it doesn't mean he'll necessarily accept it. His family is clearly one that values education; depending how how he has spent his last two summers, it's entirely possible that he's only one year away from graduation at BC. That is likely a consideration in his thought process, and I can't knock him for it.

If the Rangers make him a great offer, there's a good chance he'll jump. But, it's definitely not a slam-dunk. And, if he does stay at BC, he will continue to develop similarly to if he were playing in the AHL. In my view, the only reason that the Rangers should lean on him to sign now (as opposed to next year) is if they think he can contribute next year as a top-6 forward. Otherwise, it's probably a pointless negotiation. Just because the skill-set (which clearly is a skill-set that the Rangers dearly need) is there doesn't mean it'll immediately translate in the NHL.

One thing is for sure; pending a sudden announcement that he's signed a contract and is leaving BC, we probably won't know for sure what will happen until the end of the summer. One thing is for sure; his options right now are all very good options.

The ACC Report is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I bet that guy doesn't know anything about Leetch. When he thinks of the Rangers,its the glory days of Jagr and Nylander. Just like the rest of the teeny boppers on this board.

Kreider softened his stance in his comments to Andrew Gross about his decision being flexible and talking about the Rangers not making him an offer yet. In his comments to Arthur Staple last week,it sounded he wanted another year at BC.

If you look at the BC thread on USCHO,Kreider went from being a BC player to Kiss Kreider Goodbye. The Rangers make an offer,he'll take it and turn pro. $900k MAX. $270k signing bonus. $300k in performance bonuses. If Kreider makes the Rangers,he'll playing in the NHL with his buddy Stepan and if he needs time in the AHL,he'll be teammates with his other friend Ryan Bourque.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:30 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I bet that guy doesn't know anything about Leetch. When he thinks of the Rangers,its the glory days of Jagr and Nylander. Just like the rest of the teeny boppers on this board.
Some people just have no clue what it means to be a professional athlete.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Some people just have no clue what it means to be a professional athlete, famous celebrity, politician, military serviceman, HF board moderator, etc etc etc.
Fixed

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 12:44 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Fixed
Emphasis on HF Board moderator.

05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Emphasis on HF Board moderator.
The mods here should be canonized.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

So funny.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 01:17 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Love the first part of this post.

Quote:

Kreider softened his stance in his comments to Andrew Gross about his decision being flexible and talking about the Rangers not making him an offer yet. In his comments to Arthur Staple last week,it sounded he wanted another year at BC.

If you look at the BC thread on USCHO,Kreider went from being a BC player to Kiss Kreider Goodbye. The Rangers make an offer,he'll take it and turn pro. $900k MAX. $270k signing bonus. $300k in performance bonuses. If Kreider makes the Rangers,he'll playing in the NHL with his buddy Stepan and if he needs time in the AHL,he'll be teammates with his other friend Ryan Bourque.

Last edited by surf: 05-17-2011 at 01:30 PM.
surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 02:22 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post

So funny.
I thought iut was funny in regards to that post, but generalizations ain't so funny.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:32 AM
RGF

New York Rangers prospect Chris Kreider has already said he was staying at Boston College instead of going pro. But there was still some speculation that he would eventually jump to the pros and start next season in the AHL.

However, Kreider insists he is staying, he tells the Bergen County Record. In fact, he says he never even got an offer from the Rangers, which probably means he firmly told the team that he's staying at BC. Surely, the Rangers are disappointed; they like to get their prospects into their system as early as possible. But, hey, can't rag on a kid for staying in school, right?

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...es_leaving_bc/

RGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGF View Post
New York Rangers prospect Chris Kreider has already said he was staying at Boston College instead of going pro. But there was still some speculation that he would eventually jump to the pros and start next season in the AHL.

However, Kreider insists he is staying, he tells the Bergen County Record. In fact, he says he never even got an offer from the Rangers, which probably means he firmly told the team that he's staying at BC. Surely, the Rangers are disappointed; they like to get their prospects into their system as early as possible. But, hey, can't rag on a kid for staying in school, right?

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...es_leaving_bc/
No, that's not the right way to interpret this. The Rangers haven't given him an offer because they haven't gotten to it yet. They didn't give Stepan an offer last year until the end of May. They'll give Kreider an offer regardless of what he says about returning. It's part of the game...the Rangers will do what they can to convince Kreider to turn pro no matter what he has said so far. They did the same thing with Stepan and McDonagh. If he still says no, then that's fine, but at this point the Rangers haven't played their hand.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yeah, itll probably happen right after their organizational meetings.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Can they buy him a car or give his family extra money that nobody knows about and doesnt count against the cap or anything. Kind of like colleges giving the famlies of football players money to come to their school. haha

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Can they buy him a car or give his family extra money that nobody knows about and doesnt count against the cap or anything. Kind of like colleges giving the famlies of football players money to come to their school. haha
No. That's not allowed.

The Rangers can give Kreider a $270,000 signing bonus on the day he signs an entry level contract and he can buy his own car.

Old
05-19-2011, 04:32 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
No, that's not the right way to interpret this. The Rangers haven't given him an offer because they haven't gotten to it yet. They didn't give Stepan an offer last year until the end of May. They'll give Kreider an offer regardless of what he says about returning. It's part of the game...the Rangers will do what they can to convince Kreider to turn pro no matter what he has said so far. They did the same thing with Stepan and McDonagh. If he still says no, then that's fine, but at this point the Rangers haven't played their hand.
Lev is right, man. And that is not being idealistic or anything. The Rangers will offer him a sweet entry level deal at some point, because it is clear they want him to turn pro. So far, CK is doing the right thing in saying he is returning, even if he might not.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Just imagine if the Rangers had selected Tarasenko who is taking his sweet time in signing a NHL contract and leaving the KHL.

Jeremy Rutherford who covers the Blues for the St.Louis Post Dispatch has a weekly chat. Today was chat day

Quote:
Jeremy Rutherford: To my knowledge, Tarasenko decision and Lehtera's signing with Sibir have nothing to do with each other. Tarasenko just wrapped up the World Championships and according to a Russian website, he will take a "vacation" before making his decision whether to join the Blues or return to the KHL. The Blues are waiting, just like we are, to hear what Tarasenko decides.
Vacation?

http://interact.stltoday.com/discuss...0513111437/all

Tarasenko must have grown up as a Hawks fan and hates the Blues.

Old
05-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
No. That's not allowed.

The Rangers can give Kreider a $270,000 signing bonus on the day he signs an entry level contract and he can buy his own car.
What nobody knows wont hurt them, its not disallowed if its not known lol....colleges do it everyday

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:56 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Just imagine if the Rangers had selected Tarasenko who is taking his sweet time in signing a NHL contract and leaving the KHL.

Jeremy Rutherford who covers the Blues for the St.Louis Post Dispatch has a weekly chat. Today was chat day

Vacation?

http://interact.stltoday.com/discuss...0513111437/all

Tarasenko must have grown up as a Hawks fan and hates the Blues.
Sure. Hawks got the coolest jerseys and that is the sheet in Russia.
I would much rather have drafted Tarasenko than McIlraith as of now. Not even close. The KHL thing is not an issue imo. Hell - Mcnasty will probably take 2-3 years before eventually taking the step up. If ever. By then Taasenko will most likely have played many NHL games with many NHL points.
Russians love NYC. (East) St Louis ... hmm not so much.
Tarasenko would be showing Staal, Avery and Hank around his Staten Island apartment by now...
But... we will never know...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:33 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Sure. Hawks got the coolest jerseys and that is the sheet in Russia.
I would much rather have drafted Tarasenko than McIlraith as of now. Not even close. The KHL thing is not an issue imo. Hell - Mcnasty will probably take 2-3 years before eventually taking the step up. If ever. By then Taasenko will most likely have played many NHL games with many NHL points.
Russians love NYC. (East) St Louis ... hmm not so much.
Tarasenko would be showing Staal, Avery and Hank around his Staten Island apartment by now...
But... we will never know...
What I gathered (speculatively) from the draft process last year was that the Rangers would only consider drafting a Russian player if the kid guaranteed he was coming over. At this point, the organization absolutely couldn't afford to waste away a 1st-rounder on a player that decides to stay overseas for several years (if not permanently). Since they received no guarantees from Tarasenko's camp, they moved on from him.

I am still quite annoyed by the logic behind the McIlrath pick. Instead of taking BPA, this team drafted for need... which is almost always a terrible strategy. Especially given how fast the landscape of the NHL can change. We needed scoring and instead drafted a very long-term shut down D with little offensive ability. Since when do you draft that type of player so early??? My mind is still boggled.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote