HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger on Leafs Ownership / #1 Center

Old
05-19-2011, 09:32 AM
hockeyfanz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Dreger has got to be the most overrated "insider" ever. You'd think being related to Nonis would get him some better info, but no.
Gotta agree..can't stand him...but that can be said of most of these talking heads...there are so many of them and most of the time don't have anything interesting to say....

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Honestly Leaf fans if SJ loses out to the Canucks I would not be suprised at all to see Joe Thorton in a Leaf jersey next year . Sj has many options for players at center and this makes alot of sense.
yeah, you would think if they get swept by van they will trade one of their centers to shake things up.

i just don't see joe thornton waiving his ntc to go to toronto. he would be a pretty good fit though. he's 31 but he's only on a 3 yr deal, which is right up burkes alley. i'd hate to see what we'd have to give up to get him in a leafs jersey.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:46 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
but our coach does it ALL the time.

I remember the 4th game of the season our 4th win in a row Kessel had 2 goals 1 assist including the OT winner what does Wilson do? INSTEAD of acknowldge the fact that we don't even GET to OT let a lone win without Kessel he Hraps on the ONE mistake Kessel makes because we got scxored on so the fact that he was the ONLY reason we won that game meant ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Another time he had actually had the balls to say it wouldn't matter who we had in net because we were playing so well That was after Reimer came up and started carrying the team on his back so according to Wilson Reimer had NOTHING to do with us nearly making the playoffs NOTHING to do with our 2nd half success

Ron Wilson is GARBAGE
think on this little buddy

after the 4-0 start and the players kept on doing the stuff he was harping about what happened?

you forget? November and December happened and almost everyone lost their minds with those absolutley ridiculous FIRE Burke...Wilson...Nonis threads and the TRADE Kessel...Bozak...Grabovski...and the list goes on threads

Your goaltender cannot start believeing he is the only reason the team wins and your players cannot start thinking they have no part in the wins.

It's a fine line

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
bobbyflex

Pavelski only has 8 points in 15 games this playoffs. I wonder if he'd be available if Sharks lose and with the emergence of Couture

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:03 AM
mooseOAK*

It would be kind of dumb for a team to get to the Conference finals and blow the team up afterward, wouldn't it?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:05 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Pavelski only has 8 points in 15 games this playoffs. I wonder if he'd be available if Sharks lose and with the emergence of Couture
Still not a #1 C.

Pavelski is a slight upgrade from Grabovski, and thats not even a sure thing. He's undersized as a #1 guy as well. I like him as a player but he's not a solid option.

Maybe if he could be had for next to nothing, but I'm sure theres a team out there willing to make Pavelski their number 2 guy for some good assets.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:06 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It would be kind of dumb for a team to get to the Conference finals and blow the team up afterward, wouldn't it?
not when the expectations have been so high since pre-lockout days and failing repeatedly ever since

Old
05-19-2011, 10:07 AM
topched

Quote:
I dont think so, not when you're San Jose, where its been Same old story for every year since the lockout.

They shouldn't blow the team up, not even close. But I think some changes will need to be made. They remind me of the Canucks in the Bertuzzi/Naslund/Jovo days where they were top season performers every year and blew it in the playoffs.

Now these changes arent going to be Thornton/Heatley/Marleau changes, but they should explore things like moving Pavelski, maybe bringing in a Laich type guy. Stuff like that.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:07 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Still not a #1 C.

Pavelski is a slight upgrade from Grabovski, and thats not even a sure thing. He's undersized as a #1 guy as well. I like him as a player but he's not a solid option.

Maybe if he could be had for next to nothing, but I'm sure theres a team out there willing to make Pavelski their number 2 guy for some good assets.
at this point we may have to settle for a #2a and #2b tandem. What other options are there (besides Richards) ?

Old
05-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
at this point we may have to settle for a #2a and #2b tandem. What other options are there (besides Richards) ?
Guess that's for BB to find out

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:17 AM
topched

Quote:
I've been preaching this since Burke said it (and there are alot of other guys thinking this way too)...

I think that unless we get a bonafide #1 C we shouldn't make any moves at all. I'd much rather have Grabo as our #1 guy next year and have the second guy getting top 6 mins by committee whether its Kadri/Bozak/Colborne. At least this way we allow guys to develop.

We shouldnt have to "settle". Picking up a 2a or 2b guy is a stopgap solution that has the potential to blow up in our faces. If we give up assets for a guy like Pavelski, we'll still be out there looking for a #1 guy with less assets available for us to trade, while also hampering the development of our internal guys who may be able to step into that role.

Not to mention reducing the cap space that we have available to land a 7 mill a year Centerman.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut 83 View Post
yeah, you would think if they get swept by van they will trade one of their centers to shake things up.

i just don't see joe thornton waiving his ntc to go to toronto. he would be a pretty good fit though. he's 31 but he's only on a 3 yr deal, which is right up burkes alley. i'd hate to see what we'd have to give up to get him in a leafs jersey.
Thornton is from london and he has not won anything with SJ and if he feels the Sharks want him gone I really do not see hm pulling a Heatley on Toronto. He would have Kessel to bury the puck for him and Toronto is Improving and quite young. I think it is the perfect fit IMO.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Edgeworth*

Only objection of mien would be: Do we want a guy who disappeared in the playoffs on our team? Do we counteract Joe's playoff chokeness with Ryder's playoff success?

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut 83 View Post

This is it. Thornton would be a great fit for us, but they won't be giving him away, that's for sure. I assume at least one of Kadri, Grabovski, or Kulemin would have to be going the other way--plus other assets. Guys like Thornton don't grow on trees.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty kneecapp View Post
It seems like in January when the whole Kessel/Wilson feud passed he got a little better. He stopped throwing people under the bus. Burke probably talked to him. There was also a stat sheet I read saying that Wilson's gotten the most out of his players. It stated before Wilson, during Wilson, and after Wilson and the only player who's stats were really better outside Wilson was Stempniak.

I'm willing to give him one more year. If by christmas were not in a playoff spot he has to go.
Seemed like that little feud was the low point in the season. A report came out, cant remember who said it, that Burke told both Wilson and Kessel to sort it out between them, behind closed doors.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Dark Passenger

I dont see Thornton going anywhere. THey've invested a lot in this guy, and even if they get swept by Vancouver, he's played really well this year in the playoffs. If anything, I imagine Marleau is the player they look to move.

Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:47 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Thornton is from london and he has not won anything with SJ and if he feels the Sharks want him gone I really do not see hm pulling a Heatley on Toronto. He would have Kessel to bury the puck for him and Toronto is Improving and quite young. I think it is the perfect fit IMO.
Just to be clear, Thornton is from St Thomas. That's important to someone from St Thomas. And he's the last guy the Sharks should consider moving.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Brown Dog

Quote:
Wrong. Committing to a core that can't get over the hump is one of the major mistakes made by a lot of teams. At some point San Jose is going to have to acknowledge that this group just isn't going to get it done--before they end up stuck with a bunch of expensive, long-term deals on over-the-hill underachievers. Because the next step is an arduous rebuilding phase (see Senators, Ottawa).

If San Jose loses to Vancouver--which is looking pretty likely at this point--I believe they'd be smart to re-evaluate where this team is headed and maybe think about building around a guy like Couture instead of the old core. They could get a lot of nice assets by trading Thornton and take the team in a new direction to avoid stagnating.

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
I've been preaching this since Burke said it (and there are alot of other guys thinking this way too)...

I think that unless we get a bonafide #1 C we shouldn't make any moves at all. I'd much rather have Grabo as our #1 guy next year and have the second guy getting top 6 mins by committee whether its Kadri/Bozak/Colborne. At least this way we allow guys to develop.

We shouldnt have to "settle". Picking up a 2a or 2b guy is a stopgap solution that has the potential to blow up in our faces. If we give up assets for a guy like Pavelski, we'll still be out there looking for a #1 guy with less assets available for us to trade, while also hampering the development of our internal guys who may be able to step into that role.

Not to mention reducing the cap space that we have available to land a 7 mill a year Centerman.
I agree with that. Burke shouldn't be spending any significant assets just to get some stopgap solution.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:55 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

I don't think Thornton will get moved at all, SJ will move everyone minus Couture if they want to blow it up.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:01 AM
JackBurton

Quote:

I agree with this completely.

Like any businessman looking to improve his assets, he probably has many possible options he's willing to look at. But for each one, he'll set a limit on what he'll spend to achieve it. Then it's just a matter of waiting for the opportunity to come to him.

Too many people want to react immediately to a situation that has long-term implications. If something is going to affect the course of the team over the next decade, why not bide your time for a year or two until the right circumstances arise that you can capitalize on?

So Burke is probably considering Richards, Weiss, Statsny, Thornton, Stamkos, Carter, a few others we haven't even thought of, and of doing nothing. But the bonus of doing nothing, is that there's a chance something internally arises. So why rush to spend assets to acquire something you may not need?

It's better for Burke to just wait and bide his time. If he gets a call from a team looking to shed a #1 centre on the cheap, great. If Richards, for some reason, is only looking for 6.5 over 3 years, great. If not, why not wait? It's not like the Leafs have a pool of 30+ centres. They are all young and, hopefully, improving. The situation, in all likelihood, not going to get worse by waiting.

JackBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:04 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Wrong. Committing to a core that can't get over the hump is one of the major mistakes made by a lot of teams. At some point San Jose is going to have to acknowledge that this group just isn't going to get it done--before they end up stuck with a bunch of expensive, long-term deals on over-the-hill underachievers. Because the next step is an arduous rebuilding phase (see Senators, Ottawa).

If San Jose loses to Vancouver--which is looking pretty likely at this point--I believe they'd be smart to re-evaluate where this team is headed and maybe think about building around a guy like Couture instead of the old core. They could get a lot of nice assets by trading Thornton and take the team in a new direction to avoid stagnating.
The Sharks got to the final 4. That ended up being 9 home playoff games at least and the income that goes along with that. Don't you think that it would be ridiculous to not tweak the team and instead rip it apart?

Couture is a good player but he isn't one that teams build around. He benefits greatly from the core that you think that they should get rid of.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:08 AM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoen View Post
Darren Dreger was just on TSN Radio discussing the Leafs ownership, and who targets will be for the #1 center position.

Notes
-Local Ownership is important
-Corporation ownership is likely, with Rogers and Bell likely to be in a bidding war.
-Balsille would be an option, but would need to get help. He doesnt have the backing to make a $2 billion purchase.
-Rumor of Ron Wilson extension announcement is not true, but the story is being followed
-Suprised the Brian Burke told the media right after the season that Wilson wasn't going anywhere
-They will make a trade or signing to get that #1 center.
-Brad Richards is linked to the team, but is also linked to NYR (they also have cap problems with pending FA's and a trade would be required)
-Leafs one of the few teams that have the cap room to sign Richards
-If SJ fails, Thornton or Marleau could be available, but those players may not be excited to move away from San Jose, plus they have a big price (salary wise) attached to themOther Notes
-SJ / Vancouver series is crucial for that franchise
-Niemi is not happy with the salary he makes
-Vancouver has too many FA's and competing teams like a SJ are getting excited.

---------------------------

Nothing real big...but where the hell did these Wilson rumors come from? When it was brought up, I was waiting for Dregs to say it is close to being done, lol. Lucky I wasn't driving.

I don't buy that for a second... Thornton, Marleau Heatley era in SJ may never win them a cup... but they put fans in the seats and they make good revenue in the playoffs. Ownership is good and for a team in california they are doing very well. I just don't believe they need to win a cup for that orginzation to be sucsessful.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I doubt Sharks blow up their core. I could see them trading Heatley or Marleau to upgrade their defense though.

It's still a good team but their defense is weak.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Wilson has missed the playoffs 8 times in his career. That's got to be some kind of record.
go look up who the coach with the most losses is? or 2nd most losses?

might surprise you

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote