HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JP Dumont

Old
05-18-2011, 10:41 PM
KrisBeKreame

vCash: 500
JP Dumont

Hi, I'm a fan of another team and always like Dumont as a Player. How could you as fans account from his point drop of 45 in 09-10 to 19 this season? Is he still a serviceable Vet. Is he no longer capable of handling a top 6 job? All help or insight is appreciated.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 10:51 PM
irisheyes555

he spent the last half of the season riding the bench or a healthy scratch. not sure if it was post-concussion frights or just in trotzies dog house.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:56 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Hi, I'm a fan of another team and always like Dumont as a Player. How could you as fans account from his point drop of 45 in 09-10 to 19 this season? Is he still a serviceable Vet. Is he no longer capable of handling a top 6 job? All help or insight is appreciated.
He is the beast!!!
Do you want to trade for him?

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

He doesn't fit our mold any more. Our system requires lots of skating and that is his biggest weakness. Ever since Arnott left he has been having trouble finding a role on the team. I think he is definitely still capable on playing in a top six role, but only with certain linemates. Arnott and Dumont were never great skaters, but they had great puck possession skills so they were still effective. Find him someone like that to play with and I think he can bounce back to 50ish points. He has lost a step due to his age catching up with him, but he still has great vision.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
JP was doing great until a couple of years ago Alex Burrows (I believe intentionally) injured him. JP has not been the same since that hit.

While he has slowed down and his D is the greatest - he still has great hockey sense and can play.

I really like him but feel that he has played or is close to having played his last game of hockey.

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:10 AM
KrisBeKreame

The reason I ask is that the Islander have a roster filled out already for the next season but could really use a new Vet leader. The Roster is mostly younger guys with limited experience. Even with that fact the roster is set. Most guys belive that they could use a vet scorer but the only real place is if someone can do better than PA Parenteu on the first line with Moulson and Tavares.

PA Put up reslectable numbers last year (81GP-20G-33A-53P). Unfortunartly he is a filler at best for the Islanders as he has no other role with the team. In my eyes he is the one guy that could be replaced on offence. I think this si where a good vet could come in. It would be on a limited basis a year or two as the Islanders have many prospects that could fill the spot but really need a Vet now to bring them together. In my mind I was thinking of Sturm, Dumont or the like.

Right now the Islanders Offence looks like;

Moulson - Tavares - *Parenteau*
Grabner - Bailey/Nielsen - Okposo
Niederrieter - Bailey/Nielsen - Comeau
Martin - Konopka - Joensuu/Haley

I also heard that Nashville fans wanted to buy out Dumont.

Old
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

He is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, but he's not the player he once was. Some fans here will say it was because he wasn't given an opportunity, but you couldn't afford to let him "figure it out," given how bad he truly played when given that opportunity. A one-dimensional offensive player that doesn't score isn't worth a whole lot, unfortunately.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:01 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
The reason I ask is that the Islander have a roster filled out already for the next season but could really use a new Vet leader. The Roster is mostly younger guys with limited experience. Even with that fact the roster is set. Most guys belive that they could use a vet scorer but the only real place is if someone can do better than PA Parenteu on the first line with Moulson and Tavares.

PA Put up reslectable numbers last year (81GP-20G-33A-53P). Unfortunartly he is a filler at best for the Islanders as he has no other role with the team. In my eyes he is the one guy that could be replaced on offence. I think this si where a good vet could come in. It would be on a limited basis a year or two as the Islanders have many prospects that could fill the spot but really need a Vet now to bring them together. In my mind I was thinking of Sturm, Dumont or the like.

How valuable is Okoposo?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He is one of the nicest guys I've ever met, but he's not the player he once was. Some fans here will say it was because he wasn't given an opportunity, but you couldn't afford to let him "figure it out," given how bad he truly played when given that opportunity. A one-dimensional offensive player that doesn't score isn't worth a whole lot, unfortunately.
Playing with younger guys did seem to relieve him (playing with Mueller and Halischuk). He could produce when playing with Tavares and those young guns on Long Island.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
How valuable is Okoposo?
Valuable enough that the only names in our pool that would likely even interest NYI would be Ryan Ellis and Colin Wilson...as a starting point.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Valuable enough that the only names in our pool that would likely even interest NYI would be Ryan Ellis and Colin Wilson...as a starting point.
The NYI fans said that Cody Franson for Blake Comeau would be an acceptable trade (Comeau scored 20 goals last year (albeit with talented linemates)).

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=32883325

Old
05-19-2011, 12:46 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Then we have two holes on D and still lack a legit scorer.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I was only trying to help...

Old
05-19-2011, 01:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

oh I wasn't jumping on you about it. I was just saying that we can't make deals with our D unless we are looking to add a legit threat up front. If we move Franson it should be in a package to get real top six guy rather than someone with potential

edit: back on topic here since I seem to have inadvertently derailed this thread. NYI has tons of cap room next season and by the time a few of your ELCs end his contract will be gone, but Dumont has a NMC. I'm not sure if he will be ok with being traded to the Islanders. I'm not trying to insult your club, but they have only been to the play offs once since the lock out. Otherwise they have been 24th and below. Also don't they have some problems with their management/ownership?

Last edited by TMI: 05-19-2011 at 01:11 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:22 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:

it not so much that we want to buy him out its just that seems to be the best option for all concerned. We certainly dont need to pay a guy $4mil to be a healthy scratch and Im sure JP would rather be somewhere he could play. The question is whether he would waive his NTC to go to LI or if he would just take his buyout and then find a place that suits him better.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Counterpoint:
If we get only one legit scorer, it's easy for the other teams D to target the one legit scorer we have.

Old
05-19-2011, 11:51 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
it not so much that we want to buy him out its just that seems to be the best option for all concerned. We certainly dont need to pay a guy $4mil to be a healthy scratch and Im sure JP would rather be somewhere he could play. The question is whether he would waive his NTC to go to LI or if he would just take his buyout and then find a place that suits him better.
I think he'll be traded and not just bought out someone will take a flyer on him for a 5th round pick that is all we'll get and then he'll rebound with some team. Trotz didn't give him a chance and he didn't fit the system Trotz plays

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
I think he'll be traded and not just bought out someone will take a flyer on him for a 5th round pick that is all we'll get and then he'll rebound with some team. Trotz didn't give him a chance and he didn't fit the system Trotz plays
He played on our top line last season (09/10) for big chunks. The "Trotz didn't give him a chance" argument is bunk. He was already soft, but after getting the concussion, any willingness to play on the boards or go to any sort of dangerous area went away. Combine that with getting older and skills degenerating, he wasn't worth the icetime.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:30 AM
KrisBeKreame

Do you think he could rebound if he gets top line min again?

Old
05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Do you think he could rebound if he gets top line min again?
I don't. I think if he could have rebounded he would have this year. We had so many injuries this year there were multiple opportunities to show he deserved to play. He wasn't able to.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 12:42 AM
roseyc

Quote:
He played on our top line last season (09/10) for big chunks. The "Trotz didn't give him a chance" argument is bunk. He was already soft, but after getting the concussion, any willingness to play on the boards or go to any sort of dangerous area went away. Combine that with getting older and skills degenerating, he wasn't worth the icetime.
JP was our top point guy for two years in a row and then Trotz didn't like him and then started calling him out for bad defense. Dumont isn't that old. Sully is four years older than Dumont. Dumont isn't hard area guy and never was he was always been a finese guy is thing was that he could score and pass and then he stop shooting and just pass. I think with the Burrows hit and he hasn't been the same player. But it's all mute point he needs to go

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 01:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
JP was our top point guy for two years in a row and then Trotz didn't like him and then started calling him out for bad defense. Dumont isn't that old. Sully is four years older than Dumont. Dumont isn't hard area guy and never was he was always been a finese guy is thing was that he could score and pass and then he stop shooting and just pass. I think with the Burrows hit and he hasn't been the same player. But it's all mute point he needs to go
He was the top scorer and probably our best overall forward. That's what got him a 4 million dollar per contract extension that literally got a standing ovation when announced, during a game. At that time, Trotz never peeped about Dumont, and even now, does nothing but praises his professionalism, work ethic, and attitude. I don't think Trotz has some vendetta against Dumont, I think he recognizes that for whatever reason -- the Burrows hit, something else, whatever -- he's not capable of doing the things he used to. Having watched him in all of his time here, there's a very distinct, notable difference in how willing he is to do certain things and go to certain areas. I do think that above all, that Burrows hit was a wake up call for JP, in a bad way. It introduced an element of caution that might not have been previously there, and it's made him a shadow of the player he was before it -- which is a real shame, because a healthy JP Dumont is exactly the type of player this team needs and could use.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:03 AM
glenngineer

We all talk about the Burrows hit but it wasn't soon after that he got laid out by Robidas going into the boards as well. I think it was the next season, early on, maybe the first or second game of the season that it happened. The Burrows hit was nasty but the cumulative effect of that hit with the Robidas hit really changed his game.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 11:12 AM
cleangene

I had forgotten that hit in the season opener at dallas, glenngineer. It was such a shame all of that curtailed the career of such an ultra-fine person. That said, I was more than impressed about his off-season work ethic going into last season, and the way he delievered more hits than I had ever seen him do before as a PRED. I'll also never forget one game after someone had hit him, J.P. sunk up on the guy as he was holding his stick like a torch.Then,somehow #71 hit the knob perfectly and the guy's stick went sailing onto the other side of the ice.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote