HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-17-2011, 06:36 PM
94now

vCash: 500
I think Jagr is just playing a NHL card there exact same way he was playing a KHL card with Slats. It's okay, I wish him the best wherever he will end up playing as long it is not Penguins. Rangers can certainly use him. Aver all someone has to sell Corporate Boxes. He would be the best for it, plus he could contribute if healthy.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:28 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
He shouldn't get all of it. But he deserves some.

Gomez can dish, but he's all north-south with speed where Nylander plays a slower, more methodical game which is better suited for Jagr's brand of Euro hockey.
Not sure saying nylander put it on a silver platter is true at all. You can believe it if you want.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Not sure saying nylander put it on a silver platter is true at all. You can believe it if you want.
Im referring to your incorrect analysis of calling Jagr a "puck carrier."

Jagr was great at nearly everything else, but he was not much of a puck transporter - especially the last half of his career.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

Jagr was great at nearly everything else, but he was not much of a puck transporter - especially the last half of his career.
Jagr himself said " he wants the puck from our zone, I want the puck too" referring to Gomez and him not meshing. I'm not making this up lol, it's something that was said.

Old
05-17-2011, 08:02 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

And besides, during that time Nylander wasn't even a Ranger. Jagr was also more of a playmaker who wanted the puck on his stick to make something happen.

Old
05-17-2011, 10:23 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
jagr would have to take a paycut, we can't afford him under the cap if we are going to pay him like the pre-khl jagr. if he wants the $$ he can stay in the khl.

and i wouldn't be looking at him to play on the top line, i'd be looking at him as a guy that could play on stepan's wing. he could take step under his wing and help him grow as a player, give us a legit scoring threat on that "3rd" line while also limiting jagr's minutes on most nights since he is 38 and can't be expected to play 24:00/game anymore...

and then on nights when you need a goal or he has some extra jump in his step you can move him up to the top line if needed.
Jagr made approx. 7 million per year with Omsk from 2008-2010. He reportedly took a "pay cut" this year, but no one seems to know exactly what that was.

Depending, $5m may be enough to lure him back to the NHL, but there's no guarantee it's with the Rangers.

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 10:29 PM
hockeyman001

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Yea I know a lot of people kid around and laugh at the whole idea that just because someone is Czech, means he'll automatically clique with a fellow Czech or Slovak. But it does make sense when you consider the fact that there are no communication barriers, and they've grown up playing more of a finesse type of offensive game based on puck control with an emphasis on superior puck handling skills and precise passing. They hardly rely on all kinds of checking and playing dump and chase hockey. It's true they also have a bigger rink size.

In N. America you have kids at a young age learning to play the trap as a means of winning a game. It's actually kind of sad that these coaches want to win a pee wee league game that badly. Maybe that's why we don't see guy's like Leetch, Potvin, and (especially) Coffey and Orr put up 100 pts anymore. Leetch did it before the Rangers won the Cup and no one, not even Lidstrom has reached the 100pt mark since.
Ha excellent post. Prospal I think is the kind of player who plays well with anyone though and that's why I want to bring him back if possible. He plays a team game, he plays physical (he hits people), he looks to pass first, but has a decent shot, he distributes the puck, but he doesn't "need" to carry it, and he is generally responsible defensively.

Not knocking your analysis at all, just think Prospal deserves a little more credit than he's gotten over his career.

And I think you are right on in your analysis of American hockey. I wouldn't extend it so much to Canada, but in North America too much emphasis is on win now and trap particularly at youth hockey. Kids in America don't grow up playing as creatively as in other countries and it sets national development back. Obviously there are some exceptions to this like Kane and now Bobby Ryan, but when you consider a few years back Chris Drury was the leading American goal and point scorer in the NHL (and the only one in the top 50 or so) that tells you what kind of players have been developed by this country for so long.

We do a great job here teaching defensive hockey and we've produced a ton of good responsible defensive defensemen and two way defensemen, but I'm eagerly waiting when the United States produces the first consistent, generational 100 point a year player since Pat LaFontaine (who sadly injuries limited).

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
skymachine

Jagr was definitely a puck carrier. Rather than depending on quick feet and soft hands like Nylander, Jagr used his large frame and strength. Both were very effective puck carriers, and complemented each other greatly.

The nostalgic part of me wants to see Jagr as a Ranger. The realistic part of me wants to continue moving on from this era. Jagr's production declined each year he was here, and while he was a great leader he just didnt seem to have that same fire in 2008 when it was apparent that the new wave of "leadership" was taking over. Jagr needs to be "the guy", unless maybe he changed his perspective over the past few years. Plus I would be surprised if he would be ready to return physically and mentally to a league that is physically and skill-wise way ahead of the KHL. Three years is a long time for someone his age.

Despite this, I would love to see him return to the NHL, with any team. Watching him play is always a treat, one of my favorite players of all time. Plus he has a unique sense of humor off the ice that is unmatched.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:07 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
Jagr made approx. 7 million per year with Omsk from 2008-2010. He reportedly took a "pay cut" this year, but no one seems to know exactly what that was.

Depending, $5m may be enough to lure him back to the NHL, but there's no guarantee it's with the Rangers.
$5 mil is way way too much cap space to invest at him at this point. i'm thinking more like $2.5 mil tops. again if his top priority is money then he won't be coming here

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
$5 mil is way way too much cap space to invest at him at this point. i'm thinking more like $2.5 mil tops. again if his top priority is money then he won't be coming here
exactly. sather would be one big moron to give him 5 mil. can't say id be surprised though.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
If you asked me, hey, Rangerfan10, who's the one player that definitely wouldn't fit into the system the Rangers are running these days?
My answer would probably be Jaromir Jagr.
Agreed. As much as I'd love to see it happen, Jagr being back in Ranger blue.. it just doesn't fit.

That said, wherever he goes I'd love to see him play again

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:31 AM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I suppose you don't remember all the talk/excitement/speculation about which one of them was going to play with Jagr.
I remember talk about who was going to play with whom but not sure how that translated into "excitement" about it.

I know there were quite a few Drury or Gomez fans that were excited......however, the Jagr fans realized on July 1st what a mistake it was.....and that feeling remains just as strong today as it did then.

I actually got banned from the official NYR board b/c I told everyone what a huge mistake it was......but all the 'experts' told me how wrong I was and that the future of the team was in Drury's hands.....

It's a hell of a lot easier playing monday morning quarterback than it is correctly foreshadowing what the future holds. I understood the excitement of some but knew those two bums were a mistake and wouldn't mess well with Jags.

If Nylander was not going to be re-signed (a move I still agree with), it should have been Robert Lang singed to play with Jagr.....I said it then and I'll say it now.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 11:34 AM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
I remember talk about who was going to play with whom but not sure how that translated into "excitement" about it.

I know there were quite a few Drury or Gomez fans that were excited......however, the Jagr fans realized on July 1st what a mistake it was.....and that feeling remains just as strong today as it did then.

I actually got banned from the official NYR board b/c I told everyone what a huge mistake it was......but all the 'experts' told me how wrong I was and that the future of the team was in Drury's hands.....

It's a hell of a lot easier playing monday morning quarterback than it is correctly foreshadowing what the future holds. I understood the excitement of some but knew those two bums were a mistake and wouldn't mesh well with Jags.

If Nylander was not going to be re-signed (a move I still agree with), it should have been Robert Lang signed to play with Jagr.....I said it then and I'll say it now.
What happened to the edit post feature?

Old
05-18-2011, 02:39 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad London Ranger View Post
not to mention we got Naslund to replace Jagr!
I dont think the Naslund signing was all that bad. Nas was a very classy and was an elite play for a time. Once again he was on the decline for a few years which is were the trouble came. The money was a little high and he was not a replacement of Jagr but in all honesty Gaborik this year was not much better than Naslund the year he was here.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post

It's a hell of a lot easier playing monday morning quarterback than it is correctly foreshadowing what the future holds. I understood the excitement of some but knew those two bums were a mistake and wouldn't mess well with Jags.

If Nylander was not going to be re-signed (a move I still agree with), it should have been Robert Lang singed to play with Jagr.....I said it then and I'll say it now.
I agree with you i was in the same vote at the time. However Nylander could have been signed if he was willing to accept a 2 year contract if not Lang would have been a good option and maybe add a cheaper FA. Gomez signing i dont think was terrible the guy is still a decent player but that would require signing a guy like Lang in Nyls was not signed.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:06 PM
JimmyStart*

Jagr left way too suddenly for me. That was a great little burst of hockey and he was a main catalyst for it. Sad like all things it had to end. He';d prob cost way too much to realistically bring back. And there's more than money in the way.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Ok I know I read on Twitter a few weeks ago Jagr resigned in the KHL. I guess that was a bad report huh.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:12 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Ok I know I read on Twitter a few weeks ago Jagr resigned in the KHL. I guess that was a bad report huh.

He hasn't signed with anyone yet. From everything I have read, if he does stay in the KHL it will be with SKA St. Petersburg and not Omsk.

Most likely destinations are SKA in KHL, PIT/MTL/NYR in NHL or back home to Kladno.