HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are we an attractive team for FA's now?

Old
05-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

vCash: 500
If you're a hockey player that don't give a s*** about the game and only play for the celebrity and being in south team like SJ, LA, ANA, FLO, TB, no. If you're a true hockey player that play for the love of the game, yes .

Just kidding, but I think european player are more tempted to play here because of the fame of the team.

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The weather, it's freaking hockey, a winter sport. If you have an issue with snow and cold, you're in the wrong sport.
The weather is an issue for only a handful of players, really, the best known of them are Bryzgalov and Belanger, both playing on the Coyotes.

All in all, playoff teams are more attractive than non-playoff teams even when everything else was otherwise the same.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Habs Fan In Ottawa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Yes Lecavalier and St-Louis were both were wanted by Tampa and both were first given a chance by Tampa but when there contracts were over, both chose the palm tree over their blood, their DNA, their own people. They wanted MONEY and PALM TREES. Both showed NO honor to their own, just to the GOD OF MONEY. So there it is , that's who they are, greedy, shallow, and heartless ****** to the GOD OF MONEY and their own personal comfort.
If I am at war and stuck in a fox hole I don't want either of them watching my back.
Or they were just loyal to the franchise that drafted them?

Geez people, give the race issue a break, you guys remind me of Don Cherry sometimes.

Habs Fan In Ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
windycity

I think we would make ourselves more attractive as a FA destination if we had 3-4 hot chicks around the penalty box who flashed opposing players in the penalty box.

As an added bonus it would help us draw penalties.

Or am I only saying that because I'm obsessed with boobs?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan In Ottawa View Post
Or they were just loyal to the franchise that drafted them?

Geez people, give the race issue a break, you guys remind me of Don Cherry sometimes.
Because they're just as bad as him if not worse. At least Cherry says what he says purely for ratings. They're actually 100% serious when they come up with this kind of ********.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Habs Fan In Ottawa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Because they're just as bad as him if not worse. At least Cherry says what he says purely for ratings. They're actually 100% serious when they come up with this kind of ********.
I don't think they realize how dumb they sound, and yah it's scary how serious they are when they say that

Habs Fan In Ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Yeah, or maybe they want to stay where they've played for how many years? Where their families probably live? Children go to school with their friends?
Party pooper

I was just making a joke.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
The weather is an issue for only a handful of players, really, the best known of them are Bryzgalov and Belanger, both playing on the Coyotes.

All in all, playoff teams are more attractive than non-playoff teams even when everything else was otherwise the same.
Didn't Belanger play most of his career in Minnesota?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:11 PM
McNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
I'd say yes, but the income tax is still and always will be a huge turnoff.
I remember seeing a chart with income tax percentages with each NHL team and I remember it wasn't that much higher than a lot of other teams in the league.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:24 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Do the Habs finally have what it takes to attract a bonafide superstar?

Do the Habs have the attractiveness and assets they need to attract a superstar such as Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Alex semin, paul statsny, ect.
What do you think it will take to get one?

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

No, it would mean:
a) We empty the cupboard in a trade.
b) Overpay a ton after we tear this roster apart.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:29 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
Do the Habs have the attractiveness and assets they need to attract a superstar such as Rick Nash, Jeff Carter, Alex semin, paul statsny, ect.
Good scouting.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Roke

Quote:

Luck.

I'm not sure about Carter, Semin, or Stastny being superstars (stars, yes, not superstars). Acquiring a superstar comes down to either tanking and lucking out that the player you draft develops into a superstar, trading for a disgruntled player who wants out (like the Thornton trade), lucking into a late-round draft pick developing, or lucking out and persuading a UFA superstar to come to sign with you... and superstars don't often reach the open market so the opportunity to sign them depends on a fair bit of luck.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:36 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
if that was the case, LOTS of players would take "discount" to play where they want. Most dont.
Cammy took less than market to come here. Markov could have as well not to mention Plex. In fact, the only player in recent memory who hasn't taken a discount is Komi and it was apparent he just wanted out of the city.

If you look closely, most players do take home team discounts. Ask most of our UFA's and RFA's if they'd stay here for less and most do and would.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:41 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
The Habs have the attractiveness to bring in a superstar but they don't have the assets to actually bring one in. But, if I were PG, I would trade for either Nash or Carter and would make a package around Eller and Tinordi and would continue from there, like maybe add two-three 1st round picks or add Pacioretty (although he IS an untouchable IMO).

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 08:49 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I think we would make ourselves more attractive as a FA destination if we had 3-4 hot chicks around the penalty box who flashed opposing players in the penalty box.

As an added bonus it would help us draw penalties.

Or am I only saying that because I'm obsessed with boobs?
This. Or, show a selection of Montreal women to entice single young hockey players to the Habs .

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 09:04 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Luck.

I'm not sure about Carter, Semin, or Stastny being superstars (stars, yes, not superstars). Acquiring a superstar comes down to either tanking and lucking out that the player you draft develops into a superstar, trading for a disgruntled player who wants out (like the Thornton trade), lucking into a late-round draft pick developing, or lucking out and persuading a UFA superstar to come to sign with you... and superstars don't often reach the open market so the opportunity to sign them depends on a fair bit of luck.
My bad then, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was is for a star for player to come in and really contribute and be that missing piece that the Plekanec and Cammy line need, similiar to te situation when gio and gomer adde patches to their line and then they really began to gel and produce until patches injury.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstill View Post
The Habs have the attractiveness to bring in a superstar but they don't have the assets to actually bring one in. But, if I were PG, I would trade for either Nash or Carter and would make a package around Eller and Tinordi and would continue from there, like maybe add two-three 1st round picks or add Pacioretty (although he IS an untouchable IMO).
It takes two to make a trade, what makes you think they'd want to trade Nash or Carter to you?

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 10:49 PM
AJMHABS
25days!! New life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
It takes two to make a trade, what makes you think they'd want to trade Nash or Carter to you?
Well, for Nash I wouldn't think Colombus would want to trade him, but if he is available, the Habs would definetely target him and Carter might be traded because of cap issues and the Habs are no doubt interested in him. These two players are extraordinary players that would make MTL a contender instantly and they need an offensive juggernaut to help the team, and also help the Pleks and Cammy duo.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:09 PM
BigTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halstill View Post
Well, for Nash I wouldn't think Colombus would want to trade him, but if he is available, the Habs would definetely target him and Carter might be traded because of cap issues and the Habs are no doubt interested in him. These two players are extraordinary players that would make MTL a contender instantly and they need an offensive juggernaut to help the team, and also help the Pleks and Cammy duo.
ya but what would you trade to get nash??

BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2011, 11:53 PM
habsrule22

if we sign a couple of decent players, we can then turn around and trade a couple of good prospects with draft choices for a real good player. an example would be signing a laich or leino then trading for a semin. Not that were gonna do that but an example.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 07:44 AM
onice

Right now, I think the Habs are in a positive situation if they exploit it.

I think the higher taxes is more than offset by the higher Canadian dollar, the lower cost of living and medicare, don't forget medicare. If they choose to play in New York the players will have to get health insurance, If you're a family of 3-4 that can add up. So financially it's a wash.

Another thing in the Habs' favour is we have a decent team on the rise. We have an excellent core with maybe one or two impact players away from becoming a contender.

The city. Montreal is really an excellent city to live in. If you combine night life, cultural events, shows, the quality of life and safety it is probably one of the top cities in North America. And let me give you a personal example. My brother is a professional musician. Right now he lives in New York and before that he lived in Toronto and Sao Paulo. Four years ago he travelled with Cirque throughout Europe for a year. Last time he was here, a couple of weeks ago, he repeated that Montreal was a great city except for the horrible live music scene. He would never return to live here because live music is the pits and the level of musicianship is terrible but he made the comment a number of times that Montreal is a great place to live. And this is someone who left the city at 17 and promised me he would never come back.

So those are the positives in favour of the Habs. But the Habs have to put together a package that point out all the benefits that come with Montreal. I can remember Pierre McGuire after Montreal lost Shanahan, saying something to the effect that management is really not selling the positives of this city. They just have to let the UFAs know about it.

Last edited by onice: 05-25-2011 at 07:51 AM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:11 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Right now, I think the Habs are in a positive situation if they exploit it.

I think the higher taxes is more than offset by the higher Canadian dollar, the lower cost of living and medicare, don't forget medicare. If they choose to play in New York the players will have to get health insurance, If you're a family of 3-4 that can add up. So financially it's a wash.

Another thing in the Habs' favour is we have a decent team on the rise. We have an excellent core with maybe one or two impact players away from becoming a contender.

The city. Montreal is really an excellent city to live in. If you combine night life, cultural events, shows, the quality of life and safety it is probably one of the top cities in North America. And let me give you a personal example. My brother is a professional musician. Right now he lives in New York and before that he lived in Toronto and Sao Paulo. Four years ago he travelled with Cirque throughout Europe for a year. Last time he was here, a couple of weeks ago, he repeated that Montreal was a great city except for the horrible live music scene. He would never return to live here because live music is the pits and the level of musicianship is terrible but he made the comment a number of times that Montreal is a great place to live. And this is someone who left the city at 17 and promised me he
would never come back.

So those are the positives in favour of the Habs. But the Habs have to put together a package that point out all the benefits that come with Montreal. I can remember Pierre McGuire after Montreal lost

Shanahan, saying something to the effect that management is really not selling the positives of this
city. They just have to let the UFAs know about it.
Very good post and I agree with you 100%. I really think this is the year that we finally get our first line player to play w/ pleks and cammy that we have long desired.!

Old
05-25-2011, 08:14 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I can remember Pierre McGuire after Montreal lost Shanahan, saying something to the effect that management is really not selling the positives of this city. They just have to let the UFAs know about it.
Shanahan's agent said that the Habs' presentation was very good and very professional.

McGuire is full of it. He'll bash Habs management at the drop of a hat because they have the job he feels he should have.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
None of those guys are superstar. Plus, how can the Habs "attract" them if they all have signed contracts?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote