HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bobrovsky's flaws are easily correctable

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I've been saying this stuff since training camp...Bob has a few fundamental (but correctable) flaws in his stance and in the way he drops. Namely hand positioning, back/shoulder posture, and the depth of his stance. If he alters all this stuff even a bit, he stops getting sniped so easily.
He is best when he is attacking the puck, but the problem is he gets himself out of position too easily and gives up the corners due to his stance. He is also giving up the post area for pucks to slip in the short side. He got burned on that too many times in the playoffs. He has the tools, just needs some time to correct the little things in a less pressurized environment.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
He also needs to start carrying is glove a little further away from his body than his elbow. His reaction to some shots is to flip his elbow up because it's closer to the path of the puck than his glove. So often the solution when goalies have save selection issues is to fix their stance. You almost never see a goalie with a perfect stance that has save selection issues.

Old
05-18-2011, 09:52 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
It just takes time...Bob's issues are mechanical. It's stuff that you can get him to work on, but yes, it takes time to break bad habits. Probably another season or two. The kid seems to have the right attitude about improving, so it should be possible to accomplish, it'll just take time...barring some mental collapse or this team giving up on him, or something.
I agree with you that his issues are mechanical. I am currently working with 2 goalie coaches myself and both have virtually the same opinion about him. He tries to do too much in the net, often making easy saves much more difficult than they should be. He's big enough to play at the top of the crease and let pucks hit him.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I agree with you that his issues are mechanical. I am currently working with 2 goalie coaches myself and both have virtually the same opinion about him. He tries to do too much in the net, often making easy saves much more difficult than they should be. He's big enough to play at the top of the crease and let pucks hit him.
Much like Tim Thomas.

Old
05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Much like Tim Thomas.
Tim Thomas is a complete spaz in the net...

Old
05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Tim Thomas is a complete spaz in the net...
I was talking about coming out and then having to recover from being out of position. If Bobrovsky does not address these things right now he will be the same type of goalie, relying on his recovery skills to make the stops.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
But mechanical changes are also mental changes, at least at first. Bob's initial reflex is lunging / splits, and that has to be meticulously controlled. I anticipate that it will take Bob awhile to make himself assume a different, more upright stance, and his reaction time will suffer, again at least at first.

I can see your point, Spongolium, about the huge plus of Bob benefitting from someone whose sole responsibility is to watch his technique and work on improvements. For sure, there are areas where we can already see how Bob has taken steps in the right direction with his overall game. But it's a delicate balance of improving mechanics without a huge residual effect.

Sgt Joseph's point about adopting the upright stance when playing the wide angles, IMO, is a great transitional step. That gives Bob something specific on which to focus without a wholescale change. And once this clicks for him, it can transition to the rest of his game. Start with upright while hugging the post, using the post as the "model". Then just keep moving this new technique inward.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Thomas and Hasek are unorthodox shizoids in net but somehow they make it work out. Bob better not be an Esche (don't think so)..once Esche got his injuries he was not the same again b/c he lost that athleticism that he compensated with (mechanics).

Anyway..Thomas let up a Bob goal last night against Stamkos..then again Stamkos makes most goalies look like Bob when he snaps that shot up high.

Old
05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Thomas and Hasek are unorthodox shizoids in net but somehow they make it work out. Bob better not be an Esche (don't think so)..once Esche got his injuries he was not the same again b/c he lost that athleticism that he compensated with (mechanics).

Anyway..Thomas let up a Bob goal last night against Stamkos..then again Stamkos makes most goalies look like Bob when he snaps that shot up high.
Speaking of Thomas, I'd be curious to see what the posts would be on this board with respect to his playoffs to date. He has been stellar in several games, but has given up some real stinkers, too. And has fought the puck in several instances, like when he thought he had it trapped underneath him while it sat to his left (first period last night I think; same sequence as when Downie went after Chara).

Old
05-18-2011, 05:18 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
He is best when he is attacking the puck, but the problem is he gets himself out of position too easily and gives up the corners due to his stance. He is also giving up the post area for pucks to slip in the short side. He got burned on that too many times in the playoffs. He has the tools, just needs some time to correct the little things in a less pressurized environment.
Right now, he is best when attacking the puck because it minimizes people just shooting around him. However, he has the size and quickness that - with proper mechanics (and, as Damaja noted, better selection) - he could play deeper and not get beat so much, either. He doesn't need to fly out of the net like he does at times now, or like Thomas does, because that can get you in a lot of trouble...he could play deeper like Lundqvist, or Price (when he is not expressly challenging). He has the height to do those things, but he completely throws away his advantages with his odd stance and mechanics. He could challenge more because he is much quicker, but until he learns when not to, I'd rather see him stay deeper - but also bigger - and just work on the stance and mechanics. Aggression is something that a goalie with his skill set needs to learn at the NHL level, or he'll get made to look silly, which happened a lot at the end of this year.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Right now, he is best when attacking the puck because it minimizes people just shooting around him. However, he has the size and quickness that - with proper mechanics (and, as Damaja noted, better selection) - he could play deeper and not get beat so much, either. He doesn't need to fly out of the net like he does at times now, or like Thomas does, because that can get you in a lot of trouble...he could play deeper like Lundqvist, or Price (when he is not expressly challenging). He has the height to do those things, but he completely throws away his advantages with his odd stance and mechanics. He could challenge more because he is much quicker, but until he learns when not to, I'd rather see him stay deeper - but also bigger - and just work on the stance and mechanics. Aggression is something that a goalie with his skill set needs to learn at the NHL level, or he'll get made to look silly, which happened a lot at the end of this year.

Bottom line is he is a good prospect but the organization needs to step back and realize he still needs a few years to develop, and by a few I mean 3-4 years, with at least next season in the AHL.

Old
05-19-2011, 12:25 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Bottom line is he is a good prospect but the organization needs to step back and realize he still needs a few years to develop, and by a few I mean 3-4 years, with at least next season in the AHL.
Disagree...given what he's done already, I think he's ready after 1-2 years as a backup. If he can get 30 starts this year but actually be able to focus on fundamentals, and 35-40 the year after, I think it would benefit him to be around the big club and get top-notch practice time as well as metered starts against quality teams amongst the usual back-up opponents.

A longer window and AHL time might not necessarily be an issue per se, but I don't know if it's necessary either.

Old
05-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I think he's 3-4 years away from being close to the peak of his abilities, but I don't think he's that far away from being a legitimate option to start in net for a decent team.

Old
05-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think he's 3-4 years away from being close to the peak of his abilities, but I don't think he's that far away from being a legitimate option to start in net for a decent team.
Is his development best suited to getting starts or being a backup? If his peak is 3-4 years from peak capacity, two years in the AHL, and two years as a backup to Bryzgalov. He is 26-27 and ready to take over in a more prominent role.

Old
05-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Disagree...given what he's done already, I think he's ready after 1-2 years as a backup. If he can get 30 starts this year but actually be able to focus on fundamentals, and 35-40 the year after, I think it would benefit him to be around the big club and get top-notch practice time as well as metered starts against quality teams amongst the usual back-up opponents.

A longer window and AHL time might not necessarily be an issue per se, but I don't know if it's necessary either.
I want him to see the puck, work on the little things, see him progress and bring him along. No need to rush if they do the right thing and sign Bryzgalov. If they sign Vokoun the window will be smaller but he will also be counted on to be THE goalie of the future at 24-25 and when you have a legit UFA out there who can span those years and endure he is the real deal you make it happen.

Old
05-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Is his development best suited to getting starts or being a backup? If his peak is 3-4 years from peak capacity, two years in the AHL, and two years as a backup to Bryzgalov. He is 26-27 and ready to take over in a more prominent role.
If he's ready to start, and is your best option, why does it matter if he still has room for improvement, so long as starting him doesn't prevent him from achieving that potential?

Old
05-19-2011, 03:55 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
If he's ready to start, and is your best option, why does it matter if he still has room for improvement, so long as starting him doesn't prevent him from achieving that potential?
Because Bryzgalov is expensive and shiny.

Old
05-19-2011, 03:59 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
Oh so he's an Apple computer? Zing!

Old
05-19-2011, 04:05 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Oh so he's an Apple computer? Zing!
I didn't say homo-erotic!

Old
05-19-2011, 04:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
I didn't say homo-erotic!

Old
05-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Hasn't helped Jeff Carter a bit, lol. What did he sign for, 55 mill?

Old
05-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Gibbs18

From what I saw last year I think Bob should be coached during the offseason. Gets to be backup for whatever goalie we get for a starter. Get 25-30 starts and develop for the next 2-3 years. Gets to start 3-4 years down the road. I think he just got tired down the stretch and started playing worse than he was in the beginning of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Bobrovsky

He only played in 35 games for the team in Russia and came into the NHL and played in 54 games. I think when he develops he will become more in shape than he was and play better down the stretch when his time comes to start.

Old
05-19-2011, 06:33 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
While I am a fan of Bob and believe he can develop. You can kind of say this about lots of players, "Oh Zherdv just needs to play hard all the time." It sounds easily correctable but history says otherwise.

Old
05-19-2011, 09:55 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
While I am a fan of Bob and believe he can develop. You can kind of say this about lots of players, "Oh Zherdv just needs to play hard all the time." It sounds easily correctable but history says otherwise.
Except the difference is that Bob's problems are mechanical. Zherdev's issues are about attitude.

Big difference.

Old
05-19-2011, 10:10 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Except the difference is that Bob's problems are mechanical. Zherdev's issues are about attitude.

Big difference.
Just saying, I'd rather have a guy with mechanical problems instead of attitude.

Closed Thread