HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Should Gilroy get a QO?

Old
05-19-2011, 05:24 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman001 View Post
No way you give him a QO. He's worth 1M tops and that extra ~1m is gonna help a lot with filling some of the team's holes.

I still hold to my RFA predictions:
Boyle (if brought back) gets 1M
Dubinsky gets 3.8M/yr
Callahan gets 3.3M/yr
Anisimov gets 1.8M/yr
Sauer gets 1.3M/yr

Gilroy doesn't get a qualifying offer and either re-signs as an FA at 1M, or signs somewhere else for more money. If he doesn't want to take that big of a pay cut there are other options for a bottom pairing defenseman.

Eminger is good as gone most likely though. Don't see him even getting 1M to come back, and that would be overpaying.
The Fs will get a bit more each, to the extent the cap allows, depending upon Richards. 3 year deals w/option on 4th. Enough to taste, but room for improvement and freedom on both sides.

Sauer will be a little less. Something of a 'breakout' year, recognition is in order. However he was out of action, and needs to throw us a little something if he wants to keep things cozy and not strictly business. Again, performance based bonuses, no harm, no foul, if things go awry.

Gilroy: 2 years, players option 3rd year. $700K. Performance bonuses can max that to $1.2m if the performance is delivered.

That's how I see it...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

gilroy can GTFO as far as im concerned. dont even want him for 1m.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
The Fs will get a bit more each, to the extent the cap allows, depending upon Richards. 3 year deals w/option on 4th. Enough to taste, but room for improvement and freedom on both sides.

Sauer will be a little less. Something of a 'breakout' year, recognition is in order. However he was out of action, and needs to throw us a little something if he wants to keep things cozy and not strictly business. Again, performance based bonuses, no harm, no foul, if things go awry.

Gilroy: 2 years, players option 3rd year. $700K. Performance bonuses can max that to $1.2m if the performance is delivered.

That's how I see it...
Um, are you sure that's even permitted by the CBA? When was the last time a RFA got a contract with a "player optional" year?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Gilroy showed me something in the playoffs.

No more than 1 mill though

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Um, are you sure that's even permitted by the CBA? When was the last time a RFA got a contract with a "player optional" year?
I'm not sure. I was thinking aloud.
Thanks for the insight.

That would be the offer.
If that's not allowed, then 2 years, same rate, or 3 years, slightly less money [volume discount on a base package of 3 as opposed to 2 years ] but with comparatively increased bonuses from prior years.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:45 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
gilroy can GTFO as far as im concerned. dont even want him for 1m.
I'm ok with Gilroy as a 6th/7th dman that is paid accordingly (although I would prefer Eminger if they cost equal amounts).

I sure as hell don't want Gilroy at his QO offer price though.

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Del Zotto/Valentenko - Gilroy/Eminger
Valentenko/Eminger

I believe Valentenko needs to pass through waivers to go through the AHL, so I think he's almost certainly going to be either the 6th or 7th d-man out of camp. Doesn't make any sense to send him to Hartford and risk losing him, unless his training camp is a disaster.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Jess Spector needs to read Larry Brooks who reported last month about the Rangers are expected to offer Gilroy an extension below his QO. We discussed it here already.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=905430

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I initially just typed "No." but apparently that's too short to post.

Either way...no.

Unless he gets a million, hopefully less, to be a 7th d-man.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:01 PM
CM PUNK

2 yr, $1.1 mil/year...if he doesn't want a pay cut he can have fun being an islander

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Honestly, I don't even want to sign him for anything. No offense to Gilroy, but I don't see a fit for him here.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't care for Gilroy. I don't want him back, unless it's for like 1 year at 800k.

He can go fulfill his "promise" elsewhere.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:06 PM
NYR Viper

Yeah, I think its time to move on.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:18 PM
satrabyk

Nope move on.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Honestly, I don't even want to sign him for anything. No offense to Gilroy, but I don't see a fit for him here.
i said 1 mil a yr because I think they will offer it. If I had to vote yes or no to sign I would say no. He's 27 and they can use the cash on a vet to help Del Zotto out.

That said I do think they view him as a 7th D / spare Forward

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:26 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
lolgirlroy

Not even for league minimum.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yea anything over 1.5 mill is simply ludicrous.

05-19-2011, 07:51 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

$2.1mil? Absolutely not. I would be unsure if it were for anything over $1mil.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:01 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Just cut him lose? So how much we'd save? 1 million? For that we want to have vacant both #5 and #6 spots? We are not keeping McCabe, are we? Ds are not cheap. 2.1 is not much, there will be suitors, I'm sure, if we deside eventually to move him.
I just don't understand people. Do they get what a salary cap is? Do they notice that other teams pay $1M or less for their 5th/6th pair d-men? Do they understand that the reason why this team can't go anywhere is because we spend too much money on lower tier D-men and forwards? Do they understand that Sather couldn't give Gilroy away the entire season (he tried)? Gilroy isn't worth a penny over 750K and I bet some fans won't like that number either. He doesn't play D well and he has showed very little offensive ability, other than a brief playoff spurt.

2.1 million??? Seriously??? Was I watching different games than everyone else?

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:12 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
Saving one million come august could potentially mean having the space to sign Feds or not. Do you want Feds who can actually play and produce while playing third line minutes or gilroy? The caps going to be tight this summer and space doesn't need to be wasted, especially when we gave such good defensive depth and plenty of cheaper possibly better options in vtank,kundratek and maybe even pashnin.
Feds came after mediocre season and could be had cheap. One million is a lot, it could be use to give Feds a raise, not to sign him for that little after last season. But... Some people do not want Gilroy at all. At any cost... That is outrage, IMO. He is learning still, or at least was that last season. He is a prospect at 28, he is no much different than any other kid, than MDZ who had a bad second year, while Gilroy showed in playoffs that he belongs in here.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:26 PM
OverTheCap

Only way I consider Gilroy is if it is for one year at less than $1 million. He is a 6-7 defenseman and most 6-7 defensemen in the league have a cap hit of around $500,000-$800,000 per year. Anything more than that is an overpayment.

Personally, I like my 6-7 defensemen to have a bit of snarl and a physical edge, and Gilroy certainly doesn't have that type of game. He's an odd fit on this team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 08:34 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
I just don't understand people. Do they get what a salary cap is? Do they notice that other teams pay $1M or less for their 5th/6th pair d-men? Do they understand that the reason why this team can't go anywhere is because we spend too much money on lower tier D-men and forwards? Do they understand that Sather couldn't give Gilroy away the entire season (he tried)? Gilroy isn't worth a penny over 750K and I bet some fans won't like that number either. He doesn't play D well and he has showed very little offensive ability, other than a brief playoff spurt.

2.1 million??? Seriously??? Was I watching different games than everyone else?

As history teaches us, it is quite possible that both Sauer and McDonah will have a a mediocre seasons as they will have sophomore year (something Giloy is already through). Who is going to play when McD would need to go HFD like DelZotto? What if injuries affect not only forwards? You never have too many defensemen.
We spent on G also more than any other team. Should we change that? This team cannot go anywhere for various reasons. Gilroy is none of them.

Old
05-19-2011, 08:55 PM
CM PUNK

he's not my ideal choice either but given the option i'd rather keep eminger as the veteran, 7th dman over gilroy

my fingers are also crossed that del zotto gets his crap together and has a bounce back year...

big question is will we have enough cap space left to bring in a dman for that final spot to upgrade the 3rd pair.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:04 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
he's not my ideal choice either but given the option i'd rather keep eminger as the veteran, 7th dman over gilroy

my fingers are also crossed that del zotto gets his crap together and has a bounce back year...

big question is will we have enough cap space left to bring in a dman for that final spot to upgrade the 3rd pair.
Who could be brought in for 2.1 million? any suggestions?

Old
05-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Who could be brought in for 2.1 million? any suggestions?
Could just give it to Valentenko. Erskine will be popular. The way I see it the top 5 are set now Del Zotto needs a defensive partner to back him up when he F's up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Feds came after mediocre season and could be had cheap. One million is a lot, it could be use to give Feds a raise, not to sign him for that little after last season. But... Some people do not want Gilroy at all. At any cost... That is outrage, IMO. He is learning still, or at least was that last season. He is a prospect at 28, he is no much different than any other kid, than MDZ who had a bad second year, while Gilroy showed in playoffs that he belongs in here.
A prospect at 28, give me a break

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote