HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-18-2011, 07:43 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Not seeing anyone here who states that they are accepting failure...

Unless you are referring the those have varying degrees of opinions but that aren't in line with the current extreme "burn it all down someone must pay" mob . "If you listen to fools the Mob Rules!"
Yawn.

The same tiresome marginalization of fans as the unwashed id-driven masses.

Arrogance.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Capitlols

I've thought GMGM's biggest failure was not addressing the defense over the years. I don't know that we've had a legitimate, cup contending top 4 in that time.

The past off-season(2010) was a great opportunity to add a solid D-man or two, with the likes of Martin, Michalek, Volchenkov, Hamhuis, Mitchell among others. Yet, he sits on has hands with an over-conservative approach. Stays the course giving Schultz, Poti, and Erskine deals. For the inception of this past season he goes with a rookie pair and that isn't exactly a good idea when the goal is to win the cup. No it didn't end up hurting, but its the principal.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Good stuff there A8. Last summers lack of moves and what I expect to be the same this summer is almost a sign of selfishness. At some point he is showing too much faith in all the guys he drafted. Despite largely treading water for 3 years now. He needs to send someone he covets out. I have said it all along. If Sarge is that good certainly all the other GM's know and George will get equal value for him.

His efforts to draft that big burly defensemen failed. He tried too hard and then maybe not enough. Getting one on the open market is too rich for his blood.

Certainly a good way to grade a GM is on the basics. Does he even have a cup worthy top pair? Green and Sarge regressed in my book. Very disappointing. Alzner and Carlson were better as a pair almost the entire year. Can they bounce back next year? Who knows, its a coin flip. He seems to just retain everyone he drafts thinking they are better than everyone elses young players. That just cant be true.

He needs to fill bigger holes than getting a goon. Last summers big move. Getting a banger on D is overdue and is a start.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.
RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2011, 09:31 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Yawn.

The same tiresome marginalization of fans as the unwashed id-driven masses.

Arrogance.
err wut?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion here. For the most part the posters here marginalize themselves. Some more quickly than others. And I'm sure everyone here absolutely believes that their opinion is, in fact, they only correct one. Its like rule one for the internets. #jaded

05-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Nobody cared to read my very long post about the comparison to the real world so here are the cliff notes for that to respond to you.

1) Inherits a good team

2) Makes SCF 1st year

3) Ruins the team
I'm sorry but could you please explain how you came up with the bolded parts above?

He inherited a 75 point team that missed the playoffs the year before. He patched the lineup and miraculously got to the cup finals the next year with a team where 13 of the 21 guys who played 10 or more playoff games were 30+, he gave that team the opportunity to come back but they failed and missed the playoffs again, and then he rebuilt a very aged team.

I guess with 20/20 hindsight you could say he should have been more ruthless and torn the cup finals team down right after they were ousted but under the circumstances that is a very hard decision to come to IMO. You almost have to give them a chance to come back and try to do it again.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
err wut?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion here. For the most part the posters here marginalize themselves. Some more quickly than others. And I'm sure everyone here absolutely believes that their opinion is, in fact, they only correct one. Its like rule one for the internets. #jaded
...and my opinion is that it's become commonplace by some posters and mods to dismiss criticism of management with condescending stereotypes; and that it's arrogant. Ironically, like management itself.

Old
05-19-2011, 01:43 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
...and my opinion is that it's become commonplace by some posters and mods to dismiss criticism of management with condescending stereotypes; and that it's arrogant. Ironically, like management itself.
Come on now this is getting in to tinfoil hat territory.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 01:53 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Not the least bit arrogant to call career hockey professionals names like idiot though.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's not arrogant to call names, just childish. When I see someone call Bruce fat, they're immediately discredited in my eyes. If you can't argue a point without personal attacks like name calling, you should probably take a long hard look in the mirror.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 03:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Not the least bit arrogant to call career hockey professionals names like idiot though.
It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

As fans, the passion that drives people to be arrogant on some people's eyes is what drives the sport and their jobs. That arrogance is a requirement for all of their lifestyle. I'd hope they'd appreciate it. Cause when people stop caring, that's when they should start to worry.

Public eye, no matter what arena, drives the power/money and the criticism. You can't have one without the other.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 04:52 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Come on now this is getting in to tinfoil hat territory.
Tinfoil hat? There's no conspiracy theory in that post. Wrong term maybe?

As for name calling. If you're throwing out "fat" or "idiot" or "clown" purely to be rude and hateful it's childish and lowers the debate.

If you're arguing that certain behavior such as a lack of discipline carries over to a team's on-ice play the debate is a worthy one. The Caps have certainly done some idiotic things in recent years and Boudreau certainly has behaved like a clown.

Old
05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
It's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way.

As fans, the passion that drives people to be arrogant on some people's eyes is what drives the sport and their jobs. That arrogance is a requirement for all of their lifestyle. I'd hope they'd appreciate it. Cause when people stop caring, that's when they should start to worry.

Public eye, no matter what arena, drives the power/money and the criticism. You can't have one without the other.
I'd argue that healthy self-worth and humility is a recipe for success. Arrogance usually leads to failure.

Old
05-19-2011, 05:41 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
"Takes a special kind of man to work a job for over a decade and not achieve his goals."

As the Vice President/General Manager of a sports franchise, George McPhee has to have numerous goals. The quote above does use the plural. If the championship were the only goal, it wouldnt make him special for having not reached it as most dont.

The primary reason he has had the job as long as he has is because there are numerous goals and he reaches more of them all the time. Dale Tallon built a near Stanley Cup champion, but got blow out because he failed at so many of the other goals to be reached.
The championship should be the only goal. Blowhard Ted's "generationally competitive" nonsense is one of the problems........

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 05:43 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Re: our BIG offseason acquisition last summer, maybe its time to revisit the King pickup. This is about grading George after all. The sole move that spanned what 10 threads.

When he was in the lineup for a few consecutive games, he looked fine to me. Sure he looked like a roided NFL linebacker. I thought he would be a better fighter. I used to think winning a fight had a better impact on a game than losing re: crowd, energy, etc. that is, before Bradley rode into town, blood blazing.

But he held his own overall; didn't get embarrassed in fights, didnt rack up minus after minus despite a ton of recurring rust. And I can't remember liberties being taken with our stars last year. Maybe one game I remember him in the lineup thinking, hey, why didnt King's presence prevent that.

SDR got into 7 games with the blues, 0 points even and 11 PIM. Rated their 10th best prospect.

I would grade this trade a draw but I think Bruce didnt like King. That 24/7 quote from Bruce about how Ovi or Hendy doesnt have to fight was classic. "Well, you do." Sadly, I think the story goes, we needed more of what king brought to the table not less. Killing teams with skill alone... killed us instead. But if Bruce wont dress or trust King, it takes away from the move. the GM has to make moves that the coach will go along with, or the coach needs to go.
If King had played in the playoffs, I guarantee he would have been better than Hendricks, who was inexplicably atrocious..........

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I'd argue that healthy self-worth and humility is a recipe for success. Arrogance usually leads to failure.
I meant a fan's "arrogance" of calling them names or whatever extremes of passion. Sports, musicians, politicians, etc all need the wide range of public support to be successful and they NEED those arrogant ******* fans as well. Otherwise their way of life is in jeapardy.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 07:14 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I meant a fan's "arrogance" of calling them names or whatever extremes of passion. Sports, musicians, politicians, etc all need the wide range of public support to be successful and they NEED those arrogant ******* fans as well. Otherwise their way of life is in jeapardy.
I see; what you're saying is true, as depressing as it that may be.

Old
05-19-2011, 08:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
If King had played in the playoffs, I guarantee he would have been better than Hendricks, who was inexplicably atrocious..........
I thought after getting benched, he would come back like he was shot out of a rocket. Instead another no show. Fehr brought more grit than Hendy.

He should have stuck with Fehr, and not single out a hungry guy that made one mistake and otherwise played well. Ignoring everyone elses mistakes.

Including his own. I think it was a no brainer to make a G change in game 4. Back to back... come on Bruce.

Old
05-19-2011, 08:52 PM
txpd

he did stick with fehr until fehr blew out his shoulder again. remember?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
I disagree....Hendricks was much better against the Rangers...but so were a lot of Caps.

King wouldn't have mattered....see Ben Eager.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:51 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I'm sorry but could you please explain how you came up with the bolded parts above?
Sure,

1. Bondra, Hunter, Kono, Juneau, Gonchar, Johansson, and others were already there. Made some good trades and peaked his first year on the job.

2. Built ****** teams after losing the SCF and had to go through a fire sale because the teams he was putting together couldn't cut it.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Hendricks was at best a non-factor in the entire playoffs. He didn't have a single solid energy role game in either series.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:48 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
he did stick with fehr until fehr blew out his shoulder again. remember?
oh did he have surgery right after the scratch, when HE cost us the game? he was scratched for many games before even getting a sniff. What did Sturm do? Headbutted in a goal??

His shoulders have been popping out for years and he has been playing through it. When we disclose an injury it shoots up a red flag in my book.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-20-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old
05-20-2011, 08:23 AM
txpd

"May 10, 2011 ... Capitals' Eric Fehr may not be ready for the start of the 2011-12 regular season following shoulder surgery."
WP.

Old
05-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Hendricks was at best a non-factor in the entire playoffs. He didn't have a single solid energy role game in either series.
There's gotta be more to Hendricks' no show in the playoffs. That's just not a guy who would mail it in or no show on the energy line. Guys like him thrive on playoff energy.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:36 AM
txpd

empty tank. hendricks was playing for his career during the regular season. he was in playoff mode plus all the fighting from game 1. i would suggest that he was beat up, broke down and just worn out by the time the playoffs arrived.