HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Gilroy get a QO?

Old
05-19-2011, 10:26 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
2.1? For Gilroy? That'd be a major waste of cap space.

1m max. He's a 3rd pairing defensemen whose negatives outweigh his positives. I'd rather just not sign him at all.
Bingo.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:29 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Who could be brought in for 2.1 million? any suggestions?
considering gilroy is one of the worst players in the league, you could replace him with a rookie making 1/4 that and not weaken the team...only the subject of gilroy i'm trying hard to not be a hater and keep an open mind but lets not pretend we'd be replacing a stud blueliner

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
As history teaches us, it is quite possible that both Sauer and McDonah will have a a mediocre seasons as they will have sophomore year (something Giloy is already through). Who is going to play when McD would need to go HFD like DelZotto? What if injuries affect not only forwards? You never have too many defensemen.
We spent on G also more than any other team. Should we change that? This team cannot go anywhere for various reasons. Gilroy is none of them.
How much does Gilroy have in his development cycle? He's still rather "young" in terms of knowing the position, but that's not really what has been holding him back. It's his lack of physical strength. The guy is pillow soft. At 28, how much more strength does he have in his frame? I can't imagine him ever reaching a point where he's anything but weak on the puck. Unless he starts providing actual offensive contributions, that's a liability. A below average defenseman defensively that adds little offense.

As far as him not being part of our biggest problem--that may be true, but is he part of the solution? I don't think he is. I don't see him possessing any serious offensive capacity, which is what ought to be his bread and butter. Just because he's not our biggest problem does not make him a player worth bringing back.

It's all about the price with him. For $1MM or less, fine. Anything more is unnecessary.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:35 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
A couple of UFA defenseman that are better than Gilroy, who would likely cost below the aforementioned price:

Sean O'Donnell
Grant Clitsome
Sean O'Brien
Karlis Skrastins
Adam Pardy

Just a few names. I really don't want any of them besides Clitsome/O'Donnell, but they're all better than Gilroy, and should all cost less than 2.1m.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Well, Eminger could be re-signed for less than that. And I'd take Eminger over Gilroy every day of the week.

If we're looking for a veteran presence, you've got Kent Huskins, Nick Wallin and Paul Mara who would likely sign for less than $2MM. I'd take all of them over Girlroy.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Could just give it to Valentenko. Erskine will be popular. The way I see it the top 5 are set now Del Zotto needs a defensive partner to back him up when he F's up
V-tank is left D. Give me RD for 2.1 million with NHL experience.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
V-tank is left D. Give me RD for 2.1 million with NHL experience.
Ryan hollweg has nhl experience also, doesn't mean i'd rather have him playing on the team than grachev.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well, Eminger could be re-signed for less than that. And I'd take Eminger over Gilroy every day of the week.
You may prefer Eminger (I don't), but it's pretty clear that the experiment with him has failed as far as Tortorella is concerned. I'd be shocked if he's re-signed.

I also think people overlook the connection Tortorella has with Gilroy--he helped recruit him to the Rangers and has given him every opportunity to succeed and Tortorella's faith in him was rewarded during the playoffs. If the price is right, I see the Rangers re-signing Gilroy.

Of course I know I'm in the minority here...

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:24 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think that it is pretty apparent to every single Rangers fan in the world that Eminger>>>>>>>Gilroy.

Well Except for Torts, obviously

05-20-2011, 02:01 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
You may prefer Eminger (I don't), but it's pretty clear that the experiment with him has failed as far as Tortorella is concerned. I'd be shocked if he's re-signed.

I also think people overlook the connection Tortorella has with Gilroy--he helped recruit him to the Rangers and has given him every opportunity to succeed and Tortorella's faith in him was rewarded during the playoffs. If the price is right, I see the Rangers re-signing Gilroy.

Of course I know I'm in the minority here...
I don't think the Eminger experiment has failed. Torts leaned on him pretty heavily down the stretch. He played in some key wins against Boston and Philly while Gilroy was a healthy scratch.

The only reason why Gilroy re-entered the lineup was because Cally got injured and Torts decided to use him as a forward against Atlanta. Torts opted to start Gilroy on defense from thereon in because Gilroy has more offensive potential than Eminger.

I still think it could go either way with Eminger/Gilroy... it depends on what the Rangers are looking for. Eminger seems like more of a prototypical spare defensemen to me, but if the Rangers think Gilroy will blossom into something more than a 10-15 point offensive defenseman, then he could return as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:46 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

If Gilroy can build on his playoff performance, he's worth his QO. Not sure I want 2.1M invested on a third-pairing dmen though.

I'd spend the extra 500k over his potential veteran dmen. 2/3M.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:07 AM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
If Gilroy can build on his playoff performance, he's worth his QO. Not sure I want 2.1M invested on a third-pairing dmen though.

I'd spend the extra 500k over his potential veteran dmen. 2/3M.
Playoff Gilroy is worth maybe 500k more than regular season Gilroy. No 3rd pairing defenseman is worth 2.1m - especially Gilroy. He's a below average player. I couldn't even fathom the guy taking up that much cap space. It's ludicrous.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:09 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Id prefer Eminger instead of Gilroy. Gilroy played a bad season and only showed in the POs what hes capable of. In my eyes too much of a risk here. Just my point of view...

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:33 AM
GAGLine

No idea why this is even a discussion. He will not be qualified. Slats will offer him a 2 year deal in the 1 to 1.25 mil per year range. Gilroy will take it because 2 years of guaranteed money is better than maybe not getting a contract at all if he opts for free agency.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
No idea why this is even a discussion. He will not be qualified. Slats will offer him a 2 year deal in the 1 to 1.25 mil per year range. Gilroy will take it because 2 years of guaranteed money is better than maybe not getting a contract at all if he opts for free agency.
It's a discussion because some people around here ignore what already has been reported and they need to complain about something.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:21 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
As history teaches us, it is quite possible that both Sauer and McDonah will have a a mediocre seasons as they will have sophomore year (something Giloy is already through). Who is going to play when McD would need to go HFD like DelZotto? What if injuries affect not only forwards? You never have too many defensemen.
We spent on G also more than any other team. Should we change that? This team cannot go anywhere for various reasons. Gilroy is none of them.
I guess Gilroy has been through 2 sophomore years... lol.

The only part of this post I agree with is that you indeed can't have too many d-men, but you can't pay Gilroy $2.1M in today's salary-capped NHL. The bottom pair D for this team plays very few minutes, so you should be able to sign your 5th & 6th for $2.1M combined. Every year, there are a group of guys without jobs that jump onto NHL teams for the minimum and do serviceable jobs. Gilroy's play this year was less than serviceable, so what exactly are we losing? If he decides to take 750K, then keep him for developmental reasons... otherwise, find a replacement.

Your point about paying too much on goalies makes no sense. The only reason we can even get to the playoffs (or come close) is that Henrik is signed at the number he is. The only reason the Flyers aren't winning Cups is because they don't have a stud goalie. Come on, dude. This team goes nowhere because of overpaid supporting players that take up cap room. We need that money for acquiring elite players who can put the puck in the net.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Tuomo Ruuttu-3 years/$11.4M/$3.8M cap.

$3M
$4M
$4.4M

The last two years are group III years. Callahan will be a group III in 12-13. Two more years for Dubinsky.

Dubinsky and Callahan are not going to get at least Ruutu money?That's also Zajac money. His group III year is worth $4.8M.

$4M ballpark for both players. Both are arbitration eligible.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

gilroy is 28, hes far from a prospect anymore, id rather have a real prospect like vtank playing thrid pairing minutes learning and developing rather than have gilroy who can barely hack it and is good at nothing playing those minutes.

but in the end i dont think sather is going to let him walk, just my gut feeling.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cON View Post
Id prefer Eminger instead of Gilroy. Gilroy played a bad season and only showed in the POs what hes capable of. In my eyes too much of a risk here. Just my point of view...
Not going to be shocked if Gilroy is gone, Eminger is back for under a million as the 7th Dman and they bring in a Vet to help Del Zotto. Leaves Valentenko on the outside looking in again but he is likely the first call up even though Kundratek is looking good

Erskine may cost more than we think. O'Brien solves the Heavyweight debate and I would be fine with him as the 6th Dman

so something like
Staal, Girardi
McDonaugh, Sauer
Del Zotto, Vet
Eminger

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
gilroy can GTFO as far as im concerned. dont even want him for 1m.
I agree 100%. Not sure management agrees though...

05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
SML

WHen I think of Gilroy, I can't help but think of Dan Boyle, who took awhile to get comfortable and really didn't become a player until his late 20's. But it's unlikely he's going to have that kind of result. 2.1M is too much, and for what he brings at this point, may as well be a NMC, because I don't think anyone is going to take him off our hands at that price. Let him walk. Hopefully MDZ is ready to return, and we have other guys who need time. Nothing personal, I kinda like the guy, but the QO is just too high. He's the kind of player I could see going to Europe and doing really well, then coming back in 2-3 years a much better player.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 10:51 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
A couple of UFA defenseman that are better than Gilroy, who would likely cost below the aforementioned price:

Sean O'Donnell
Grant Clitsome
Sean O'Brien
Karlis Skrastins
Adam Pardy

Just a few names. I really don't want any of them besides Clitsome/O'Donnell, but they're all better than Gilroy, and should all cost less than 2.1m.
None is good. I do not see RD on your list. All are LDs. O.D? Seriously?
The only one I would consider is Steve Eminger. He is RD and cheap. Gilroy is a better player in my book and will improve, PO showed he can. I need RD names that can be had for 1-1.5 million this summer. I don't need to be educated on salary cap, just want to see the options. Names, please.

Old
05-20-2011, 10:57 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I think he can get 2.5 for 2 anywhere. He is not done with his potential. PO showed that.

Old
05-20-2011, 11:14 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
considering gilroy is one of the worst players in the league, you could replace him with a rookie making 1/4 that and not weaken the team...only the subject of gilroy i'm trying hard to not be a hater and keep an open mind but lets not pretend we'd be replacing a stud blueliner
I don't think we've got NHL ready RD in the farm. Both Kundratek and Valentenko are LD. They will compete with MDZ, not Gilroy and/or Eminger.

Old
05-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Bardof425*

Gilroy is an interesting case. He hasn't shown enough to warrant anywhere near 2.1. But...he's new to the league and relatively new to the position. And in the playoffs he played very well with Mccabe who was horrendous. I think we should try and keep him as he could be similar to Brian Rafalski in a few years and then we'd wish we kept him. I don't like giving up on second year d-men know matter what their age.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote