HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The GM debate

Old
05-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
It's hard to be a noticeable energy presence when you're a step (or two) behind.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:23 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I disagree....Hendricks was much better against the Rangers...but so were a lot of Caps.

King wouldn't have mattered....see Ben Eager.
My point was that King would have done no worse than Hendriks and may have been a little better. I, for one, would've liked to have seen him get some time, given Hendriks no show.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 12:30 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
The fact is its very difficult to gauge whether McPhee HAS done a good job or not with a coach like Boudreau at the helm. If LaViolette is coaching this team, who's to say they aren't playing (and beating) the Bruins in the ECF as we speak? McPhee has gone out and acquired the horses, no question about it, through free agency, the draft, and trades. Its just that Boudreau has basically squandered all his of his efforts so far.
McPhee hired Boudreau. BB's success, or lack thereof, bears directly on McPhee's job performance as well.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 01:05 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
There's gotta be more to Hendricks' no show in the playoffs. That's just not a guy who would mail it in or no show on the energy line. Guys like him thrive on playoff energy.
He didn't look the same after he signed his contract. Regular season included.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
McPhee hired Boudreau. BB's success, or lack thereof, bears directly on McPhee's job performance as well.
Yes, but it's also the easiest piece/mistake to correct. I mean who would you rather have, a GM that puts together a talented roster with a underqualified coach, or an GM that puts together a roster devoid of talent with a great coach?

Lol, just as I'm typing this a commercial comes on that says "we believe it's easier to change your oil then your car."

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Hendricks was at best a non-factor in the entire playoffs. He didn't have a single solid energy role game in either series.
I disagree that he didn't have one solid game. Early in the series against the Rags, the 4th line was great....then they all pretty much faded.

He was 7th in hits while only playing 9 mins a game....only Bradley hit more and played less. I do remember calling Hendricks out to my wife saying he wasn't bringing it like he was earlier in the playoffs.

Anyway....let's not waste more time arguing about the guys who get the least amount of ice time and have the least impact in the playoffs.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 03:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
empty tank. hendricks was playing for his career during the regular season. he was in playoff mode plus all the fighting from game 1. i would suggest that he was beat up, broke down and just worn out by the time the playoffs arrived.
That's what it looked like to me. He had some jump early on, then faded....just like a lot of Caps.

Maybe if the team made the players get into shape, that wouldn't be an issue.

Old
05-20-2011, 03:08 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Yes, but it's also the easiest piece/mistake to correct. I mean who would you rather have, a GM that puts together a talented roster with a underqualified coach, or an GM that puts together a roster devoid of talent with a great coach?

Lol, just as I'm typing this a commercial comes on that says "we believe it's easier to change your oil then your car."
Sure is. Wont make ***** bit of difference in your drive though.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 05:55 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
My point was that King would have done no worse than Hendriks and may have been a little better. I, for one, would've liked to have seen him get some time, given Hendriks no show.
I was disappointed we couldn't see King more this year. I really wanted to see if he could have added muscle and toughness. He didn't even get a chance sadly.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I was disappointed we couldn't see King more this year. I really wanted to see if he could have added muscle and toughness. He didn't even get a chance sadly.
He didn't get a chance because he sucks, we won't see him in the NHL next year I hope. There's no point in retaining his services

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Sure,

1. Bondra, Hunter, Kono, Juneau, Gonchar, Johansson, and others were already there. Made some good trades and peaked his first year on the job.
Hunter was 37 and played 1 more NHL season before retiring. Juneau hadn't been a front line player in years and never was again. Konowalchuk was a good 3rd liner but nobody you'd call a big part of a great team or anything. You really saw Bondra, Gonchar, Johansson, and Kolzig as the core of a powerhouse?

Come on man that team had a couple very nice parts and a bunch of old guys. You act like that team was primed for years to greatness and McPhee screwed it up. The only thing he screwed up with respect to that team was not finding the fountain of youth.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:30 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Hunter was 37 and played 1 more NHL season before retiring. Juneau hadn't been a front line player in years and never was again. Konowalchuk was a good 3rd liner but nobody you'd call a big part of a great team or anything. You really saw Bondra, Gonchar, Johansson, and Kolzig as the core of a powerhouse?

Come on man that team had a couple very nice parts and a bunch of old guys. You act like that team was primed for years to greatness and McPhee screwed it up. The only thing he screwed up with respect to that team was not finding the fountain of youth.
I agree with a lot of your post, but a couple of things...

Tik, PH: great additions.

Brown (from memory, I think that was that weak sister's name)... horrible choice.

And McPhee did not learn from that mistake: he signed a complete and total failure as his "big move" for the following season: Dimitri Mironov.

Mironov had been acquired by the Red Wings for the playoffs. The Wings, a team that trains together off the ice as well as on, had a cardio workout (exercise bikes, treadmill, weights, etc) scheduled the day Mironov reported. John Wharton (the trainer at the time) led Mironov to his locker, and even had some extra sweats for him.

Mironov promptly announced that he wouldn't be attending the team cardio workouts, as he had his own "superior" training routine.

Mickey Redmond said that Wharton just smiled and said "okay, let's see what you can do at tomorrow's morning skate."

About ten minutes into the morning skate, Mironov was huffing and puffing so badly that he couldn't continue, after which Bowman and Wharton advised Mironov that his "superior" training methods were something he could pursue in the off-season, but from that time on, he was to attend all the team workouts.

According to Redmond, it was constant battle with Mironov after that: he skipped workouts... when confronted about his abscence, he had shouting matches with Wharton and Bowman in the middle of the locker room; an absolute embarrasment to the other Russian players on the team (the other four of the famous 'Russian 5').

When the season was over, the Wings told him that he could come to training camp, but not to expect much: the most they'd ever offer (even if they decided to keep him, which was highly unlikely) was the league minimum; 560k, at that time. There were no other takers: no one wanted Mironov.

This was common knowledge. Mickey Redmond related this story a few times during Red Wing telecasts.

So what does McPhee do? He signs Mironov to a 4 year, $12 million dollar contract. The exact WRONG move to make the following year.

BTCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:54 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Phil Housley was the original Mike Green.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 11:57 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Phil Housley was the original Mike Green.
FYI: Housley had the shortest stick in the NHL.

Not something most... would want to be known for.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

Is it too much to expect both? Not if you're going for a championship it's not.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:46 PM
gogensgo

what is the structure of the Caps? Does GMGM report directly to Ted who would make the decision as to whether he and BB go or stay or is there a President of Hockey Operations in their structure?

gogensgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogensgo View Post
what is the structure of the Caps? Does GMGM report directly to Ted who would make the decision as to whether he and BB go or stay or is there a President of Hockey Operations in their structure?
Ted is obviously in charge but he believes a hands off approach works best. Right now GMGM probably has the most authority at Kettler Ice Plex as he's responsible for free agency, coaches, drafting, trades, call ups, resignings, etc. In turn GMGM usually talks to BB about what he needs and other personnel decisions like who to call up from Hershey, as well as training camp cuts, but GMGM gets the final word.

After that BB is in control of all on ice decisions. The lines, strategy, who dresses, who gets scrached.

Ted has said in the past that he pretty much stays out of everything and the only time he would get involved is during very rare and important situations. He's joked that if GMGM were to attempt to do something like trade Ovechkin then he would get involved but other then that he lets the hockey people take care of the hockey decisions. I think the last real hockey decision that Ted had a hand in was signing Ovechkin to a long term contract, he may have also been involved with Backstroms recent resigning but I know for sure that he was there during the Ovechkin negotiations.
Quote:
Playing in the final season of his rookie contract, in 2007–08, Ovechkin signed a 13-year contract extension worth $124 million with the Capitals on January 10, 2008. The contract, which averages $9.5 million per year, is the richest in NHL history. Working without an agent, Ovechkin negotiated directly with Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and general manager George McPhee.[11]
As of now Ted has left the fate of BB completely in GMGM's hands. He will support whatever decision GMGM makes. In short the only real hockey authority Ted has given himself is deciding who gets to shape the Caps roster as the General Manager and if I recall correctly McPhee was the general manager when Ted bought the team.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 05-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old
05-21-2011, 05:45 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Dick Patrick, President

05-22-2011, 02:27 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's hard to be a noticeable energy presence when you're a step (or two) behind.
And yet, you claimed that practice was highly overrated.

Elastic logic?

Old
05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
And yet, you claimed that practice was highly overrated.

Elastic logic?
Uh huh, sure I did.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Dirtbag59

I'm trying to think how much Yzerman has impacted his team. I mean he didn't draft/sign Stamkos, Lecaviler, Hedman, St. Louis, Purcell, or Downie. Then again he did trade for Roloson and hired Gee, traded for Brewer, signed Kubina and Moore.

I mean is that really enough to get a team to the Eastern Conference finals a year after missing the playoffs? A new coach, an AARP goalie, third line center, and a couple of defenseman? Because if so the Caps should seriously look into firing Boudreau.

Old
05-23-2011, 08:48 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
GM has obviously acquired decent players. If it all can't be put together within reasonable time and progress in the playoffs, his job security should be questioned. Since he hires and fires the coach, its ALL on him. All crappy teams get great players, concensus BPA's handed to them year after year. GM's cannot get credit for those no brainer picks that you the keyboard warrior could make.

It seems what it comes down to, is filling the holes. Yzerman went with a vet in net which appears to have been a wise move. We went with all kids. Well, two got shunned, oddly. A position George waited to long to fill via the draft WRT Kolzig's aging. Tampa obviously has a decent supporting cast, ours is lacking. Their coach again is making Bruce and George look bad, IMO.

Grading a GM is all relative. Who is grading him. If his only job requirement is to fill the seats aka make Ted money, and make the playoffs every year (which means a chance at a cup), he is meeting expectations and warrants a 2.4% pay raise.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

lets put one thing to rest right here.

Goalie is in no way the reason we're not in the playoffs.

Could they have gotten better play? Probably. But I don't think they're not in the thing anymore because of it.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:49 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
We have young kids after the Huet and Theo band aids. George was late to the game grooming kids to replace Kolzig. I dont think that can be denied.

What is the collective records of our kid Gs in the loffs?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
We have young kids after the Huet and Theo band aids. George was late to the game grooming kids to replace Kolzig. I dont think that can be denied.

What is the collective records of our kid Gs in the loffs?
I wouldn't say George was late to the game grooming kids to replace kolzig. I would say he was late to the game at grooming kids to replace Kolzig successfully.

Stana? Ouellette? How many others?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote